The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

How can a team miss three penalties out of five? I blame the manager. What was the point of those last two substitutions?

He did prepare. Unlike the likes of Bobby “who fancies taking one?” Robson. But apparently not well enough.  If we were able to take penalties we’d have won several major tournaments. As it is we’re serial losers and the likes of Italy are serial winners. 

Just now, obelisk said:

Occasion got to Saka. Don't think he did anything right at all while he was on.

But he shouldn't be taking the 5th penalty in the first place.

Yes seems unfair on the young lad. Where was Grealish, Shaw, Sterling etc.

• Like 2

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Bizarre decision to put the kid Saka up fifth. Where were the more senior players.

the two subs. Can sort of understand rashford(even if I thought it might be a mistake as he’s been badly out of form). Not aware of San how having any penalty history.

Rashford effectively missed an open goal.

1 minute ago, Dark Munster said:

He did prepare. Unlike the likes of Bobby “who fancies taking one?” Robson. But apparently not well enough.  If we were able to take penalties we’d have won several major tournaments. As it is we’re serial losers and the likes of Italy are serial winners. 

You can't blame Southgate for that, Rashford and Sancho just fucked up. When will players (not just England) learn not to fuck about and leather it. 

11 minutes ago, Ohio Saint said:

I get what you are saying, but it ain't working for me

But earlier thought u implied Southgate was doing great job!!!

We looked clueless  and toothless with some of the best youngsters around Europe,  this shows somethings not working, Foden should've been on instead of Saka, Henderson was dreadful and shouldn't of been there, Saka shouldn't have been on 5th pen, to take Walker off when facing corner in last minute,  we just don't create anything, we rely on keeping clean sheet then struggle like hell if we concede, we created the fewest chances in world Cup bar Morocco,  I'm sorry I'm sure Southgate is very good man manager but come on something isn't working 

Edited by danjosaint
  • Like 3

Southgate did what Venables did not do 25 years ago (he needed to bring on Fowler and Sir Les Ferdinand for those pens) but tonight proved that maybe that idea is a shit one after all.

But the pens were shit man. Absolutely terrible.

What's so gutting is that, despite being arguably the better team, Italy needed a fluke rebound off the post to score their equaliser. 

Can't believe that none of the more experienced players stepped up to take that last pen and let the teenager take it. Spineless.

• Like 1

If you bring on 2 players to take pens then they’re going to be stewing about it for too long. Questioning themselves, feeling the pressure. It needs to be more about who’s feeling confident to pick a spot and hit it. Great saves can happen but all 3 were nervous penalties. Shaw should have taken one.

2 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

We looked clueless  and toothless with some of the best youngsters around Europe,  this shows somethings not working, Foden should've been on instead of Saka, Henderson was dreadful and shouldn't of been there, Saka shouldn't have been on 5th pen, to take Walker off when facing corner in last minute,  we just don't create anything, we rely on keeping clean sheet then struggle like hell if we concede, we created the fewest chances in world Cup bar Morocco,  I'm sorry I'm sure Southgate is very good man manager but come on something isn't working 

Foden was injured.

5 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Losing a final on penalties does not validate your idiotic statement that Southgate   is clueless.

Edited by Ohio Saint

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Foden was injured.

Fair play didn't know that 

Ref Ohio Saint, I never said losing on pens validated my point,  I'm as pissed off as all but I feel with Southgate in charge we'll never build in the undoubted quality we have, Colombia in wc, nearly chucked it away,  Croatia in wc, did chuck it away,  Denmark in euros didn't put the game to bed as sat back, then tonight was so lame after 50mins, anyway my last post of evening so peace out and bring on Everton 

Edited by danjosaint

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

What's so gutting is that, despite being arguably the better team, Italy needed a fluke rebound off the post to score their equaliser. 

Can't believe that none of the more experienced players stepped up to take that last pen and let the teenager take it. Spineless.

It might have been that Southgate decided what the order should be.