The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

42 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

You can also add the free kick that Denmark got for basically nothing that they scored from in the first half.

Perhaps, but I still think 9/10 that is saved. Didn't think Pickford had a good game at all last night - the occasion really got to him and he went all Joe Hart.

Hoping he gets to see his therapist before Sunday.

That said, he has been good the other 5 games, so will forgive him when we win on Sunday.

Don't know what got into Pickford last night but he was very poor. Almost cost us a couple of times in the 1st half with some dreadful distribution, and I really think he should save that FK because it was nowhere near the corner, it was almost the centre of the goal.

Good job it didn't go to a shoot out, because he would have needed to be at his absolute best.

Overall, although not wasn't pretty, I think England deserved to win even if we were a little fortunate with the OG and the penalty award. If It had gone to pens and Denmark had won, it would have been a travesty.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Cat said:

Deserved win. Denmark were fucked with about 15 minutes left and England totally controlled the game from that point on.

Incidentally the time where Mathias Jensen left the field injured, so Denmark played the last 15 minutes 10 vs 11... earlier in the tournament the impact subs have paid off, but last night the gamble backfired. Tough luck.

Ref was so annoying last night. They have had a great line this tournament, where e.g. the Ayling Flop is not rewarded with a free kick. Ref last night was back to the usual line of players falling over when they feel any type of contact and getting a free kick. Kane was by far the worst - I never realised how much of a diver he is 🤮 Penalty was... yeah, disappointing with the above in mind - it seemed like UEFA had managed to get the perfect setup with refs, VAR and guidelines for this tournament, but yesterday was back to the old ways (for both teams)...

England deserved winners on the basis of the last 10-15 minutes of normal time and the 1st half of extra time - they completely dominated those 30 minutes of football and got the rewards 👏

40 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Perhaps, but I still think 9/10 that is saved. Didn't think Pickford had a good game at all last night - the occasion really got to him and he went all Joe Hart.

That said, he has been good the other 5 games, so will forgive him when we win on Sunday.

We'll never know for sure but I thought the FK was a real bullet that flew at quite an unusual angle, so personally wouldn't blame him for that.

His distribution and general temperament are a real worry though

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

Wasn't a penalty but Kane's appeal in normal time was so it all evens itself out.

Glad it didn't go to penalties. Pickford vs Schmeichel? No disrespect to Pickford who I think has overall been perfectly decent (a few brain farts aside) but my money would have been on Denmark. I wonder if that's what the Danes were banking on in the last 30 minutes?

Overall deserved, England were the better team and were looking to go forward. Danes were dangerous on the break but ultimately ran out of steam.

However I can't quite wrap my head around England in a final, that's going to take a day or two to sink in.

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

He has on occasion lost his head before and he certainly looked jittery last night . Some clearances to touch or totally mishit led to alot of gesturing etc . He did have some issue off field and he was supposed to have sorted his problem out but it started to show again .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We'll never know for sure but I thought the FK was a real bullet that flew at quite an unusual angle, so personally wouldn't blame him for that.

His distribution and general temperament are a real worry though

Maybe, I mean I agree it was a bullet, but it went really close to his standing position, no where near the corner.

Mentality wise I think he has been really good up until last night. Like I said, think it was the occasion, he needs to get on top of that for the final.

29 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

He has on occasion lost his head before and he certainly looked jittery last night . Some clearances to touch or totally mishit led to alot of gesturing etc . He did have some issue off field and he was supposed to have sorted his problem out but it started to show again .

Maybe just nerves, he can do this.

This thread is a tidal wave of optimism and it's fantastic. I don't have any skin in this game at all (I'm a NZer) but I really want England to win because, as has been noted elsewhere on here, the national team has disappointed historically. This is time to make history and give everybody a legit excuse to get absolutely tanked.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Sterling infuriates me like Redmond infuriates me but surely, SURELY, he must be in the running for player of the tournament. He’s certainly been England’s best player. I don’t think there has been an Italian standout (Insigne? Bonucci? Chiesa?) as they play more as a team. 

Kane only needs 2 goals, or a goal and 2 assists, to be top scorer this tournament too. Hopefully that’ll be in his mind going into Sunday.

Well done England! BBQ and lots of booze on Sunday and off on Monday! Excited!

He's not "in the running", he's the only feasible choice unless someone does something ridiculous in the final.

11 minutes ago, benjii said:

He's not "in the running", he's the only feasible choice unless someone does something ridiculous in the final.

Funny how he divides opinion, he would have been the first one hooked off for me.

12 hours ago, moonraker said:

That was a tough watch, but England were the better team.  I am very hopeful for the final as I think Italy will not handle our attack as well as Denmark did, the big ? is can our defence handle Italy.

Italy have beaten Belgium and Spain to get to the final and England haven't had to face one of the top teams to get there, so we shall see. I remember the feeling of being in the pub and watching England lift the World Cup. It was a great feeling so it would be good to see them win another trophy. Hope Pickford's in control of his emotions. He looked to have matured a bit at the start of the Euros but there were signs of the old Pickford in last night's game. 

53 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Funny how he divides opinion, he would have been the first one hooked off for me.

This is surely a minority opinion now? He was incredible in that game, Denmark couldn't get a hold of him, he was going past players constantly and still running right to the end of the game.

The thing you could criticise previously was his use of the ball, but in that game, aside from one wayward shot, I don't remember him doing much else wrong

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

England are being 'charged' after some idiot shone a laser pointer in Schmeicel's face just before Kane took the penslty.

It was idiotic for sure, but there is no possible way of identifying where in the stadium it came from. I don't see how England can be charged with failing to control their fans when you can't prove it was even an England fan (even though it obviously was).

13 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

The thing you could criticise previously was his use of the ball, but in that game, aside from one wayward shot, I don't remember him doing much else wrong

Very frustrating player but always gets in good positions for the tap ins. Generally beats players but rarely has an end product and his finishing from outside 10 yards out is wank. Shits defenders up though and creates space for others. Particular highlight yesterday was a simple pass to him that he mis controlled off for a throw with no pressure on him.

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 1

Why did some idiots boo the Danish national anthem? WTF is that about, we have no historical or footballing rivalry with them to my knowledge and half their team play for English teams pretty much, what is wrong with people? 

Aside from that I think England deserved it, first half pretty even but second half and then extra time it was pretty much all England they just didn't finish the game off and Schmeichal made some good saves to keep them in it. Not a pen IMO, but also not a foul for their free kick that led to the goal, pretty much every player in that mass group was holding and grappling all over the place and he gives a free kick because a Danish player basically falls over.

Overall I thought the ref wasn't great all round.

Italy I think suit England better oddly than Spain even though Italy have probably been the stand out team of the tournament. Watching England chase shadows as Spain keep 70% of the ball would be painful and I think we'd end up making a mistake, whereas I think we can better combat Italy as styles are more similar. Plus Kane dropping off and Sterling run in behind will cause Chillieni and Bonucci problems. They had issues with Spain's false nine but Spain got no one into the box whereas Kane does that role but often gets back in the box and Sterling has a nose for space and timing his runs. 

Italy also looked like they'd lost something in their attacking flow without Spinazola marauding down the left. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It was idiotic for sure, but there is no possible way of identifying where in the stadium it came from. I don't see how England can be charged with failing to control their fans when you can't prove it was even an England fan (even though it obviously was).

They know the exact time and they have security cameras covering the whole crowd.

Virtually guaranteed the idiot has a stadium ban coming their way.

It’ll be a meaningless fine anyway.

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

https://streamable.com/ry3cnc

Still think it was a soft penalty, but I can certainly see why VAR didn’t overturn it.

It was soft, but Maehle has only got himself to blame. If you stick your foot out like that and miss the ball, chances are you're going to give away a pen.

Anyway, it was justice served as far as I'm concerned, because there's no way they should have been given the FK they scored from. 

23 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't see how England can be charged with failing to control their fans when you can't prove it was even an England fan (even though it obviously was).

Indeed. Surely, if anything, they should be charging Wembley Stadium rather than a team....?

Edited by trousers

31 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

3d BIM model of the stadium, model of human with his face stood at that spot, laser extrapolation for a broad area would be quite easy. Add to that that all of wembley has HD cctv, a socially distanced croiwd, and all you're looking for is one of a few guys in said block not on tenderhooks for the penalty 😆

37 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Still think it was a soft penalty, but I can certainly see why VAR didn’t overturn it.

It does appear that Sterling started to go to ground slightly before the contact was made, ergo "soft" is probably a valid description, but given the trajectory and intent of the two Danish defenders it seems pretty clear to me that both would have still made contact with Sterling even if he'd stayed upright until the moment of contact. But, yep, good to see VAR being used during this tournament in the way it was intended to be used - i.e. to only overturn CLEAR AND OBVIOUS refereeing errors, rather than how it has been used in the Premier League, whereby the modus operandi seems to be to overturn almost every decision that turns out to be wrong regardless of how marginal it was.

Edited by trousers

On 24/06/2021 at 00:18, Jimmy_D said:

R16

Portugal, Italy, France, Croatia

Sweden, England, NL, Denmark

QF

Italy, France, England, Denmark

SF

Italy, England

F

Italy

I must be due another one being wrong? 😬

3 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Italy have beaten Belgium and Spain to get to the final and England haven't had to face one of the top teams to get there, so we shall see. I remember the feeling of being in the pub and watching England lift the World Cup. It was a great feeling so it would be good to see them win another trophy. Hope Pickford's in control of his emotions. He looked to have matured a bit at the start of the Euros but there were signs of the old Pickford in last night's game. 

If Italy had beaten Germany and Belgium and England had beaten Spain, I guarantee you would say the same.

England clearly had a favourable 1/4 final v Ukraine, but other than than that it hasn't been any easier or more difficult than would usually be expected. If we had played Ukraine, then Denmark, then Germany I doubt anyone would be calling it an easy route to the final. Not forgetting we also had the World Cup finalists in our group.

Re: Pickford, he is and always has been a liability. Hopefully he has a good game without any major brain farts.

2 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

If Italy had beaten Germany and Belgium and England had beaten Spain, I guarantee you would say the same.

England clearly had a favourable 1/4 final v Ukraine, but other than than that it hasn't been any easier or more difficult than would usually be expected. If we had played Ukraine, then Denmark, then Germany I doubt anyone would be calling it an easy route to the final. Not forgetting we also had the World Cup finalists in our group.

Re: Pickford, he is and always has been a liability. Hopefully he has a good game without any major brain farts.

Quite: the issue is a team becomes "not a top team" purely because we have beaten them, therefore they can't possibly be top.

We had some fortune in the knockouts but Italy had a piece of piss group stage, easier than we did.

4 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

I do not remember Saints beating anybody of note getting to Wembley in 1976 but as they beat Man U 1 0 they won the cup 

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

England are being 'charged' after some idiot shone a laser pointer in Schmeichel's face just before Kane took the penslty.

I am afraid there will always be at least one total idiot, moron, dickhead at the final. Yes there are more expletives available.

Sadly.

We could have lost the game or had it taken from us.

3 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

Thank you for posting that angle of the penalty challenge. As you say, a soft penalty - all the more so as the referring during the tournament so far has been to allow play to flow. In a reversal of a usual comment “ if that had been outside the box it wouldn’t have been given”.

6 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Thank you for posting that angle of the penalty challenge. As you say, a soft penalty - all the more so as the referring during the tournament so far has been to allow play to flow. In a reversal of a usual comment “ if that had been outside the box it wouldn’t have been given”.

I thought Shaw's foul which led to their goal was a bit soft as there was lots of holding and pushing going on but I accepted it like I accepted the penalty 

4 hours ago, Manuel said:

I can understand the charge for lasering Schmeichel, but booing the National Anthem?  Surely fans should be allowed to boo whenever they see fit? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001

Breaches UEFA's rules rather than anything "legal".  Personally think it's really wank to boo a national anthem, boo during the minutes of play by all means, but booing opponents' national anthems just makes us look like chavs.

• Like 6

Yeah I tend to agree, especially Denmark for goodness sake.  I do remember some decent booings against the German national anthem in the past however, which seemed acceptable to most at the time.  Whatever people's view on it, I still maintain that people should be able to cheer or boo whatever goes on in the ground, as they see fit.  

Yes the penalty was "soft", but there was contact, thigh to thigh which knocks Sterling off balance(?), it's almost impossible to judge whether it was enough for a genuine fall or Sterling exagerates the effect, I'm sure a Danish player would have reacted in the same way, it's the way players are coached now. We deserved to win the game no question, tough as it was. Some are moaning because we had the rub of the green for a change, but you don't get to finals by chance alone.