The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

3 hours ago, Kingsland Codger said:

I’m old fashioned enough to regard the issue as simply a matter of manners. It is bad manners to boo another nation’s anthem. Plain and simple.

Clearly there are others who think it is clever and fair game to boo. I prefer to disassociate myself from these people - and they, no doubt, regard me as a silly old fogey. Vive la difference!

It is extremely bad manners when I call the ref a cunt. Football isn’t a place to expect civility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Booing isn't being banned. But UEFA expects an FA to try and provide the correct environment, they know that can't do anything about it, so setting a standard and issuing a fine is just a signal. Just like FAs and UEFA can't do much about racist chanting, so they issue a fine to show that it's behaviour contrary to their standards. It keeps the sponsors happy.

If it winds UEFA up then gets my vote. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Exactly. I expect a lot of the wierdos going on about it would love everyone to march to the ground linking arms, waving candles and singing I'd like to build the world a home, sorry freakos, it aint going to happen.

Carry on going Gammon coloured Turkey..........blah blah, woke, blah blah, lefty, blah blah snowflake!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Since when has booing national anthems been a fineable offence? Pretty obviously it's all part of the match day tribalism and trying to unsettle the opposition, the vast majority of songs in football are aimed at winding up the opposition, are we going to start getting fined for that too? I can understand people not wanting to do it, but getting fined for it is pathetic.

If oppo fans booed our anthem I couldn't care less. In fact I'd probably join in as it's so bloody awful!

Edited by LuckyNumber7
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Since when has booing national anthems been a fineable offence? Pretty obviously it's all part of the match day tribalism and trying to unsettle the opposition, the vast majority of songs in football are aimed at winding up the opposition, are we going to start getting fined for that too? I can understand people not wanting to do it, but getting fined for it is pathetic.

If oppo fans booed our anthem I couldn't care less. In fact I'd probably join in as it's so bloody awful!

Sorry missed that. Is someone getting fined for booing?

Or are you getting upset about something that isn’t happening?

Edited by Antrimsaint

51 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

This could be interesting.

Worst possible situation if Italy have to forfeit or are essentially polaxed by COVID - I know that's not what's happening here, but I think I'd rather we lost than had a victory by default.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Worst possible situation if Italy have to forfeit or are essentially polaxed by COVID - I know that's not what's happening here, but I think I'd rather we lost than had a victory by default.

Speak for yourself on that one!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SKD said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/57763001.amp

would really expect you to fact check before acting sarcy. Idiot.  

Yes, according to that, it looks as if the FA has been charged. Can’t see anything coming of it as , like others have said, many other countries do it. All of them having little class. If they are found guilty and fined then it is ridiculous. Will wait and see until I go full gammon. 

Unlike yourself I have little time to factcheck every little conspiracy theory you cook up but will put my hands up when wrong. 

As for  the “idiot” I can go back to namecalling if you like as I am so much better at it than you Wingnut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Agree, an England win wouldn’t be seen as credible if this plays out badly. Just think if it was the other way round.

ps I know Mount, Chilwell but this is the final.

I hope for an England win against the best Italy side.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I do not think that anyone at the UEFA cares about COVID. Rather, there is some discussion about whether the ball can be driven into the stadium in a colorful car.

8 hours ago, whelk said:

It is extremely bad manners when I call the ref a cunt. Football isn’t a place to expect civility.

I often wonder why people take up refereeing with people like you around

But without them there would be no football

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

Yes, according to that, it looks as if the FA has been charged. Can’t see anything coming of it as , like others have said, many other countries do it. All of them having little class. If they are found guilty and fined then it is ridiculous. Will wait and see until I go full gammon. 

Unlike yourself I have little time to factcheck every little conspiracy theory you cook up but will put my hands up when wrong. 

As for  the “idiot” I can go back to namecalling if you like as I am so much better at it than you Wingnut.

I thought you had loads of time due to your recovery, hence why you’ve only recently started posting (very heavily) on a 6 year dormant account? 

Starting fall over you own lies?

Edited by SKD

Just now, SKD said:

I thought you had loads of time due to your recovery, hence why you’ve only recently started posting on a 6 year dormant account? 

Its a 15 year account and I should have elaborated that I don’t wish to waste my time following up on conspiracy theories.

I admit I was surprised you used the bbc as a source being that they are so lefty biased. I was expecting it to be Gbeebies.

What lies are you referring to WMD?

52 minutes ago, SKD said:

I thought you had loads of time due to your recovery, hence why you’ve only recently started posting (very heavily) on a 6 year dormant account? 

Spin a web of deceit requires an incredible memory. They always out themselves eventually 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, John B said:

I often wonder why people take up refereeing with people like you around

But without them there would be no football

Because they are the type of people who also become special coppers, moderators on football forums and health and safety officers for jobs. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Out of curiosity, while we are waiting for some actual football, can anybody guess what would happen if, say, a boozed New Zealander booed the American national anthem at a rugby test between the All Blacks and them over there? My prediction is a decking within 30 seconds. So, why would you not boo some national anthems (unless you wanted a hiding) but boo others? 

Edited by Jeremy

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Out of curiosity, while we are waiting for some actual football, can anybody guess what would happen if, say, a boozed New Zealander booed the American national anthem at a rugby test between the All Blacks and them over there? My prediction is a decking within 30 seconds. So, why would you not boo some national anthems (unless you wanted a hiding) but boo others? 

As soon as any football does anything you’ve got people jumping all over it claiming how rugby fans don’t do that. I though rugby fans were class acts who never do anything wrong so a decking would be out of the question. I expect they’d probably buy them a beer and they’d celebrate each other’s tries to make friends. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A piece in The Times today on the birth of European Football and the part played by Southampton (and Sheffield United)

The naked launch 
“It is only 12 inches high, solid gold, and it means England are the world champions.” Whoever wins tomorrow’s kickabout will get a prize twice the size of the trophy handed to Bobby Moore on the same site in 1966, yet few could tell you the name that is on it. They sing about Jules Rimet still gleaming, yet Henri Delaunay is almost forgotten.

Rimet is credited as the godfather of the World Cup, but Delaunay, his deputy at Fifa, secretary-general of the French federation and the founding head of Uefa, is said to have been the one who pushed hardest in the 1920s both for a global tournament and one for European nations. The latter only came into existence in 1960, five years after his death.

Delaunay had been a referee but retired after a ball struck him full in the face, breaking two teeth and causing him to swallow his whistle. The Anglophile Delaunay later wrote of how a big influence on him becoming an administrator had been the “primitive scene” he saw as a teenager at Crystal Palace in 1902, when he was among 75,000 fans at the FA Cup final between Southampton and Sheffield United. He created the French version 15 years later.

It is amusing that this match should have been Delaunay’s motivating force since the report in The Times says it was notable mainly for its roughness, “random kicking and indiscriminate passing”, and a dodgy last-minute equaliser by Southampton. That led to the referee hiding in a broom cupboard after he was chased out of the dressing room by a naked and angry William “Fatty” Foulke, the United goalkeeper. It is tempting to think, therefore, that the path to tomorrow’s final all began with an overweight yet underdressed goalie being enraged at an offside decision. No wonder they call it the beautiful game.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

More likely to be shot tbf.

Sad news on the eve of the game. The death of ex international Paul Mariner. Despite playing for the skates he was a bloody decent bloke, I spent quite a few nights sinking  pints with him during  his spell with the Albany Capitals in the 80’s. He was a passionate Englishman great company, not a billy big bollocks at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Sad news on the eve of the game. The death of ex international Paul Mariner. Despite playing for the skates he was a bloody decent bloke, I spent quite a few nights sinking  pints with him during  his spell with the Albany Capitals in the 80’s. He was a passionate Englishman great company, not a billy big bollocks at all. 

Sad indeed. He was a decent player, and part of a very good Ipswich team. His scoring record for England was excellent too. Only 68 too, no age. RIP. 

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Has anybody noticed if non-UK Premier League based players, such as Vestergaard and Hojbjerg, have taken the knee before playing England ?

When England took the knee before the Denmark game the camera cut to Schmeichel and he was pointedly applauding them. 

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

Because they are the type of people who also become special coppers, moderators on football forums and health and safety officers for jobs. 

I see the mods are out deleting posts again. Bet they would love a whistle

1 hour ago, Antrimsaint said:

Something to reflect upon. 10 years in the making. Might put a bet on for 2022.

I wouldn’t.

I don’t think we ve played that brilliantly.

With the talent at our disposal, we should be playing better.

Our individuals have made the difference in games.

Plus I wouldn’t say we have played particularly brilliant teams in this Euro. Germany are not what they once were. And Ukraine and Danemark you would expect to beat.

Granted, its way better than what we have done in recent times but i don t think we can say we are one of the best team until we have beaten the likes of Brazil Belgium France in knock out competition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I wouldn’t.

I don’t think we ve played that brilliantly.

With the talent at our disposal, we should be playing better.

Our individuals have made the difference in games.

Plus I wouldn’t say we have played particularly brilliant teams in this Euro. Germany are not what they once were. And Ukraine and Danemark you would expect to beat.

Granted, its way better than what we have done in recent times but i don t think we can say we are one of the best team until we have beaten the likes of Brazil Belgium France in knock out competition.

Such a contradictory post. With the talent at our disposal we should be doing better, but then go on to say the. Individuals have been the difference. We’ve won 5 out of 6 games only conceding one goal which was from a dubious free kick, how much better do you want it to be?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pretty sure we can say England's run to the final has been directly related to the structure put in place by Les Reed when he was technical director of the FA.

Shouldn't be too long until he is rightly honoured for his services to football.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Cat said:

Pretty sure we can say England's run to the final has been directly related to the structure put in place by Les Reed when he was technical director of the FA.

Shouldn't be too long until he is rightly honoured for his services to football.

And as if by magic, Uefa honour his contribution ;) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57788267

The Football Association has been fined 30,000 euros (£26,600) 

4 hours ago, The Cat said:

Outside Wembley perhaps?

53F900FA-A6B0-4053-8A0C-13BB0923F953.jpeg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yep, all over that. Lighthouse and Jimmy d are the internet’s version of Graham Poll and Mike Riley 

And you’re the internets version of Pepe shouting, "I never touched him ref!" As an opponents decapitated head goes bouncing across the pitch.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

And you’re the internets version of Pepe shouting, "I never touched him ref!" As an opponents decapitated head goes bouncing across the pitch.

Very good, maybe you’re more like Howard Webb

• Confused 1

Watched 66 WC on CH4 yesterday , in colour ! Excellent match , England should have finished it off in the second half with the number of chances they had . B Charlton hit the post being closest. The style of play for both sides seemed to be attack although defending was easier as under pressure they just had to pass to the keeper who picked it up so all the players made for the other half awaiting the ball . Bank's thowing was good accurate and prefered option . Banks , Ball and Moore were the stand out players as well as Hurst for his goals.

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

My one deleted post wasn’t rude, offensive or off topic. No warning, straight red and I literally didn’t touch him. 
it’s like Stalin had the whistle in my game. 

14 minutes ago, Chewy said:

My one deleted post wasn’t rude, offensive or off topic. No warning, straight red and I literally didn’t touch him. 

Mine neither. Who moderates the mods?

33 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The trouble is you’ve got a few posters on here who love to play the victim or good guy, they are the player running round after the ref waving imaginary cards in air. These are the ones who regularly jump onto threads accusing people of racism, bullying etc and often boast about that being the reason they don’t come on much anymore, despite often being on here adding nothing to the board as they only post about how terrible it is now not like the good old days when they used to post more.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Think Italy will just shade it. They couldn't have hand picked a more ideal team tactically to line up against than England.

Slow and sideways careful ball retention in the defensive third by not very technically gifted defenders and midfielders is perfect for an energetic, high pressing team like Italy to exploit. Expect a lot of turnovers in dangerous positions. 

For a team that plays with two holding midfielders, England are weirdly susceptible to fast counters.

I'd break up the Rice/Phillips axis with Henderson, who is better on the ball under pressure. Not by a lot, granted, but Italy will definitely target that pair and in particular Rice's frequently clumsy first touch.

And England's attacking play is too predictable and deliberate to likely move Chiellini and Bonnuci much out of their armchairs. Get wide, wait for the overlap, cross towards one striker. Rinse and repeat. Meat and drink for quality centre backs to repel. Or even Scotland's.

Hoping Italy don't score first and early, because that'd probably be the game.

(apologies for the off topic post)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2