The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

2 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Watched 66 WC on CH4 yesterday , in colour ! Excellent match , England should have finished it off in the second half with the number of chances they had . B Charlton hit the post being closest. The style of play for both sides seemed to be attack although defending was easier as under pressure they just had to pass to the keeper who picked it up so all the players made for the other half awaiting the ball . Bank's thowing was good accurate and prefered option . Banks , Ball and Moore were the stand out players as well as Hurst for his goals.

Enjoyed that too, what a different game back then. From the many examples, when England were 2-1 up with a couple of minutes to go, we passed back to Banks to a chorus of boos. Commentator : "I'm sure many of the boos were from England fans, we don't want to see that !" Alan Ball was fantastic in that game.

11 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Watched 66 WC on CH4 yesterday , in colour ! Excellent match , England should have finished it off in the second half with the number of chances they had . B Charlton hit the post being closest. The style of play for both sides seemed to be attack although defending was easier as under pressure they just had to pass to the keeper who picked it up so all the players made for the other half awaiting the ball . Bank's thowing was good accurate and prefered option . Banks , Ball and Moore were the stand out players as well as Hurst for his goals.

Peters too who used to “ghost” into the box late and pick up goals from midfield. Love the way that players used to walk around when they didn’t have the ball. No intensity at all. It wasn’t long before that there were no subs either. Constant passing the ball back to the keeper to waste time. Jumpers as goalposts. Happy days!

Edited by sadoldgit
Sp
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Think Italy will just shade it. They couldn't have hand picked a more ideal team tactically to line up against than England.

Slow and sideways careful ball retention in the defensive third by not very technically gifted defenders and midfielders is perfect for an energetic, high pressing team like Italy to exploit. Expect a lot of turnovers in dangerous positions. 

For a team that plays with two holding midfielders, England are weirdly susceptible to fast counters.

I'd break up the Rice/Phillips axis with Henderson, who is better on the ball under pressure. Not by a lot, granted, but Italy will definitely target that pair and in particular Rice's frequently clumsy first touch.

And England's attacking play is too predictable and deliberate to likely move Chiellini and Bonnuci much out of their armchairs. Get wide, wait for the overlap, cross towards one striker. Rinse and repeat. Meat and drink for quality centre backs to repel. Or even Scotland's.

Hoping Italy don't score first and early, because that'd probably be the game.

(apologies for the off topic post)

Yep, can't see our back four being able to cope with Italy's fast raiding wingers and strikers on the break if it is an open game. They have not been tested yet. We may of course decide to park the bus, stifle their play and try to sneak a winner from a set piece. Of course it is also easy to over rate Italy because of their open exciting and entertaining way of playing football. I am expecting a dour and rugged encounter and an Italy win.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Happy days? You’ve spent the whole tournament whining England are boring, how there has to be a more attractive style yet now you’re reminiscing about the good old days when no one ran much and there were time wasting back passes all game. 🙈

Terry Paine used to run a lot, in fact he seemed to be on the ball most of the time. It could be pf course that the other players used to give him the ball so that they could stand around for five minutes doing nothing while Terry dribbled his way up and down the wing.

32 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

Italy are slightly better but England have the crowd = 50:50.

Tense score draw then penalties. Both teams are good for 4/5 penalties and then sudden death.

Southgate relives 96.

After all outfield players have taken a pen, does it then go keepers and then managers? Hope not for Gareth's sake!

Don’t think there is much in it between the teams. Their midfield is better than ours but think Stirling and whoever else plays can cause them problems. I’m concerned about Immobile. He’s looked an absolute cart horse most of the tournament but it a class player with a great goal scoring record so he has to turn up at some point. Really hard to call just hope it’s not lost by a controversial decision or mistake, happy to win it that way though. 

So who would you start on the right ? Foden picked up a knock so probably won’t start .. Saka has the pace to support Kane and Sterling and can defend .. sancho ? He can skip past anyone on his day could be a real game changer.. grealish will play his part later in the game wen the Italians tire .. I’m going with sancho for me .. bold decision but he gets the nod .🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿💪🏻

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Peters too who used to “ghost” into the box late and pick up goals from midfield. Love the way that players used to walk around when they didn’t have the ball. No intensity at all. It want long before that there were no subs either. Constant passing the ball back to the keeper to waste time. Jumpers as goalposts. Happy days!

I saw a map comparing touches for Pickford and Banks. Banks never left his goal area.

Midfield will be vital. I prefer theirs to ours, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Henderson start to give us a bit of experience and guile in there. Tough game, but we've got enough attacking talent to get a result. 

Roll on 8 o'clock. Come on England. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’ve been pretty confident from day 1 and I’ve seen nothing since to knock that confidence.

We need to jump on Jorginho early and disrupt his rhythm, sides used to do it a lot against Chelsea and as good as he is, he sometimes struggles when sides dictate the pace of the game. Kane can drop into the 10 a lot and let Sterling & Saka run the legs off their centre halves. 

If we score early it’s going to be a piece of piss, 3 or 4 nil. I reckon it’ll be like the ‘98 World Cup final, everyone predicting a close game, but France blew them away. I honestly believe the same is  going to happen tonight.

It’s coming home…..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

So who would you start on the right ? Foden picked up a knock so probably won’t start .. Saka has the pace to support Kane and Sterling and can defend .. sancho ? He can skip past anyone on his day could be a real game changer.. grealish will play his part later in the game wen the Italians tire .. I’m going with sancho for me .. bold decision but he gets the nod .🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿💪🏻

I'd play Saka on the right, Sterling left. I have a feeling it'll be Mount though. I'm convinced he'll find a place for Henderson in the middle. 

I’ve managed to get a ticket but am feeling sick with nerves already. I think I’d rather we were the standout favourite or rank outsider (as Saints have been at cup finals). The 50-50 nature of this match is exciting in prospect but rather too exciting…

I went to the Italy v Spain semi and was actually far less impressed at seeing both teams in the flesh than I expected to be. Italy showed some great touches but also misplaced a lot of passes and the keeper looked a little erratic. They are beatable.

2 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I went to the Italy v Spain semi and was actually far less impressed at seeing both teams in the flesh than I expected to be. Italy showed some great touches but also misplaced a lot of passes and the keeper looked a little erratic. They are beatable.

They’ve got this “amazing” record, but when you break it down it’s not quite so impressive. The only top sides they’ve beaten are Belgium & Holland  (Spain was technically a draw), this amazing unbeaten run is mainly against poor and average sides. I know they can only beat the sides put in front of them, but there’s a lot of cannon fodder about nowadays. I doubt they’d have faced sides with the fire power we’ve got, once you’ve seen of the front 3, you’ll have Grealish, Sancho & Foden chomping at the bit, with Rashford still in reserve. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

I’ve managed to get a ticket but am feeling sick with nerves already. I think I’d rather we were the standout favourite or rank outsider (as Saints have been at cup finals). The 50-50 nature of this match is exciting in prospect but rather too exciting…

Lol feeling sick. You don t think you re a little OTT? Its not Saints we are talking about here its England.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They’ve got this “amazing” record, but when you break it down it’s not quite so impressive. The only top sides they’ve beaten are Belgium & Holland  (Spain was technically a draw), this amazing unbeaten run is mainly against poor and average sides. I know they can only beat the sides put in front of them, but there’s a lot of cannon fodder about nowadays. I doubt they’d have faced sides with the fire power we’ve got, once you’ve seen of the front 3, you’ll have Grealish, Sancho & Foden chomping at the bit, with Rashford still in reserve. 

Exactly this. The England national team were unbeaten in qualifying matches for 10 years between 2009 and 2019. Simple to go on these runs in international football given the quality of the other teams faced in qualifying and friendlies. Their last eight results before the Euros came against Czech Republic, San Marino, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Poland and Estonia. I think that we would beat all eight comfortably too. 

14 minutes ago, trousers said:

How slow is today going...? Still 5 hours to go FFS. Which Muppet decided on an 8pm kick off?

Come on England!

Allows time to watch the spectacle of an Italian defeat at Wimbledon.

... or perhaps not after the first set.

6 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

My apologies if this link has been included before but interesting to see the number of England's Euro squad with links with the Saints ie

Gareth Southgate
Luke Shaw
Tyrone Mings
Ben White

We've certainly released a lot of half decent players over the years.  I imagine all clubs do...

I didn't even know about the link to Southgate.

2 hours ago, egg said:

I'd play Saka on the right, Sterling left. I have a feeling it'll be Mount though. I'm convinced he'll find a place for Henderson in the middle. 

You were right about mount  but not hendo .. trippier in for saka ..he’s going with 3 at the back 

I cannot wait.  We will win 3-1.  Kane, Sterling and Stones to score.

Slow, boring  1st half, but our bench is much better.  We will finish the game very strong and score 2 late-ish goals.

What is barking mad, I think we will be better next year! I remember when the FA Chairman was absolutely ridiculued (about 8 years ago) when he asked for a semi-final for Euro2020!

• Haha 1

Never understood why we have 3 lions.  Lions have never been native to England, surely weasels or badgers would be more appropriate?

"Three badgers on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming"  It works fine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Ironically, last time I went to Wembley I (and a good few others on here I suspect) was going mental after a certain Italian player scored, and proudly joined in as we all sang his name.

Will be none of that tonight.

Glory fan then, couldn’t be bother to go and see our semi finals or league games there v Spurs?

Normally I’d be a nervous wreck before a game this big, but I’m actually looking forward to this :D 

Feels like we have the edge going into this game. Italy are dangerous of course, especially if they manage to take the lead, but our defence, tournament management, and squad depth, as well as the pace we’ll have against their defence, I reckon it gives us an excellent chance of coming out on top tonight.