Moussa Djenepo, can he step up next season?

Mr X

He has all the key ingredients in terms of skill to be a really exciting prospect for us but it just hasn't happened consistently, do you think this will be his season, should he start regularly? Another player that perhaps needs to learn to introduce some simplicity into his game and not try and beat every player on the field with flicks and tricks and walk straight into trouble! Frustrating as he is too good to be another Redmond... Or is he? 

14 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

I would sell him and Redmond.........With the money from both we could buy someone decent .

Are they actually worth much though? 5-8 million for Redmond, maybe a bit more for dejenepo as age on his side? 

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't a like for like comparison. My point was that Djenepo is 4 years behind Redmond in his development.

I wasn’t making a like for like comparison, just stating he’s no better than Redmond. His age,  height, weight, or shoe size have no relevance in that. 

8 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

That is unfair, nowhere near that level of incompetence but I agree he has regressed under the coaching at St Mary’s. 

Redmond is not incompetent. He is massively and frustratingly inconsistent. When he is on form he is a very good player and a big asset for Saints. It is just those games are rare.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

I would sell him and Redmond.........With the money from both we could buy someone decent .

I think the club thought these 2 were good enough, otherwise they wouldn't have taken the plunge.

There was a post like this last season as well.

I'm desperate for him to do well, but it looks more and more likely that he's just not going to cut it here. 2 full seasons he's had and bar two goals in his first couple of games in 2019, the only thing he's been consistent at is getting injured.

In normal circumstances we'd have probably cut our losses already, but beggars can't be choosers. I doubt next season will be much different tbh. More flattering to deceive and lots of knocks and niggles. We are in desperate need for better than him and Redmond in those wide/10 positions, but I'm not sure we have the finances to do it.

I think Djenepo should get a season or two more chances. He's great against the ball, a good dribbler, a decent finisher, and still very young. He had that knee injury that kept niggling and I suspect it is the reason he isn't pushing on as well as he seemed he might a couple of seasons back. If he can build consistency, confidence, and get over the injury he could be a winner.

Another thing worth considering is all season our left sided 10 was performing worse than out right sided 10. Even Walcott and Minimino looked better on the right than the left. I suspect one reason for this is because one had KWP making space, making good runs, playing them through, and being a menace. Bertrand couldn't do that but maybe Perraud can, could make Djenepo perform a little better as he pretty exclusively plays on the left.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

He was a better player when he arrived than he is now which says a lot for Ralph

Give it a rest will you FFS. You don’t like Ralph, we get it, but You don’t have to mention it on every frigging post.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

He was a better player when he arrived than he is now which says a lot for Ralph

Are Ward-Prowse, Bednarek, Armstrong, Ings, Romeu and Vestergaard better or worse under Ralph than they were when he first joined?

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Are Ward-Prowse, Bednarek, Armstrong, Romeu and Vestergaard better or worse under Ralph than they were when he first joined?

Ings had the best season of his career under Ralph.

14 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Read above but here you go Romeu, Ings, JWP, Bednarek , Armstrong, Adams 

Arguably you could add Walker-Peters, Vestergaard and Adams to that list. All 3 much better than when they joined 

He's (Djenepo) shown enough skill - especially early in his Saints days - to justify sticking with him.   The worry in my mind is that he ends up like Boufal.....all the talent and skill but not the game suited to the unforgiving Prem arena.

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Arguably you could add Walker-Peters, Vestergaard and Adams to that list. All 3 much better than when they joined 

So other than Redmond, a LB who’s left and two ‘keepers we’re trying two shift, that’s basically our first XI. Salisu seems to be heading in the right direction too.

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

So other than Redmond, a LB who’s left and two ‘keepers we’re trying two shift, that’s basically our first XI. Salisu seems to be heading in the right direction too.

Quite. I wouldn’t say Redmond is any worse either. Still let’s not let that get in the way of a chance to bash the manager because he sold Sam Gallagher, which is ultimately why fitzhugh fella hates him

Edited by Turkish

While Djenepo does need to improve his game, I don’t think being an attacking midfielder being played at RB for a good number of appearances does anything to make him look good. Having said that, he does seem to be too frail to make a significant impact on the Prem.

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Give it a rest will you FFS. You don’t like Ralph, we get it, but You don’t have to mention it on every frigging post.

Telling people what they can say now are we? 
I think Saints will go down if Ralph stays so forgive me for being a concerned fan right now. I also think he is the most relevant factor in our progress (or not) so his name is bound to regularly appear. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is 4 years younger.

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

You a,so forgot to mention that he is generally full of shit.

11 hours ago, TWar said:

I think Djenepo should get a season or two more chances. He's great against the ball, a good dribbler, a decent finisher, and still very young. He had that knee injury that kept niggling and I suspect it is the reason he isn't pushing on as well as he seemed he might a couple of seasons back. If he can build consistency, confidence, and get over the injury he could be a winner.

Another thing worth considering is all season our left sided 10 was performing worse than out right sided 10. Even Walcott and Minimino looked better on the right than the left. I suspect one reason for this is because one had KWP making space, making good runs, playing them through, and being a menace. Bertrand couldn't do that but maybe Perraud can, could make Djenepo perform a little better as he pretty exclusively plays on the left.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I stated above I thought he was being asked to do too much, which is why he was less effective than previously. The reality, as you have pointed out, it wasn't so much about being asked to do too much, he was having to do too much as Bertrand seemed to be going through the motions last season.

If he can go injury free in pre season I would offer him at least a year extension on his contract (currently expires 2023). He has shown enough glimpses of quality and unlike flops like Boufal and Ramirez - has shown he can do a reasonable job defensively to be a worthwhile member of the squad. He has picked up injuries at unfortunate times and then came back into the team when we had lots of key players out injured and had square pegs all over the pitch. 

20 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

He seems to have an annoying knack of picking up a lot of little injuries as soon as he's got going, plus he had spells playing wingback. Not really seen him have a long run in the team. 

This is why he has not developed I feel. This coming season will be make or break for Moussa.