Moussa Djenepo, can he step up next season?

Mr X

I've only seen the highlights but from what I saw he had a good game. Attacking he looked very good and he made a couple of good interceptions. If he could stop committing rash fouls  then he could do well as full back cover. It seems Ralph wants the full backs to be very attacking which would work to Djenepo's strengths.

• 4 weeks later...

Djenepo is a real enigma and I honestly can't make my mind up about him. It is almost like there is a brilliant player in there trying to get out but, so far, not quite managing to make it. He shows flashes of brilliance but perhaps his brain can't keep up with his legs - it's as though they are not in sync. If he could just improve his split second decision making I believe we'd have a gem on our hands. There is no doubt he can go by players and is a box of tricks but when are we going to see an end product? For sure he is getting stronger and is less inclined to go down at the merest of touches so I am pleased Ralph is giving him a go because a run of games might kick start Moussa into developing into a player who can cause opposition defences lots of problems. Can't put my finger on why but I just have a sneaky feeling he is on the verge of achieving his undoubted potential. Here's hoping. 

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 3

I’ve always liked him, and I think some of the criticism is unwarranted as I often think he is being shackled by Ralph. Last season he always seemed to be used to double up on dangerous wingers to help Bertrand, Ralph does seem to trust his defensive capabilities. I hope we get to keep seeing him with the freedom to get forward, as I think there’s a really good winger in there.

• Like 3

I think Djenepo has been good this season, he has real bite against the ball and playing next to Perraud has really helped him progress the ball as he now can play intricate one twos and offload the ball to someone rather than always just having to take on the player in front of him or pass backwards.

• Like 1

I also like him and hope he can get a decent run of games. Does his defensive work well, and he has his moments going forward looking dangerous. He's less than a year older than Tella too, I feel he doesn't get as much leniency with the fans as Tella does.

• Like 1

On 05/07/2021 at 08:52, Turkish said:

Don’t play the concerned fan act, it’s nonsense. You’ve had it in for Ralph for personal reasons and have a go at him at every opportunity. Clubs like saints will get relegated sooner or later it might be with Ralph as manager it might be when he’s long gone, I’m sure you’ll be the first to telling everyone I told you so when it does.

some fan you are

I think he's started the season well, just needs to improve his end product. Has great skill which often gets him into dangerous positions but too often the final ball lets him down or he delays too long. That can be worked on though.

Also while I certainly don't want to see him playing LB, I think he's better defensively than some on here give him credit for.

I agree Moussa is better the first two game than he has been previously, but let’s face it, he started from a low bar. 

I think his decision making is appalling, and needs to vastly improve his end product. 

If he can do this, maybe we will get something good out of him, I think this is his make or break season with us. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I agree Moussa is better the first two game than he has been previously, but let’s face it, he started from a low bar. 

I think his decision making is appalling, and needs to vastly improve his end product. 

If he can do this, maybe we will get something good out of him, I think this is his make or break season with us. 

I agree, his performances this season fall into the "shows lots of promise" category. He hasn't done anything daft, and is working for the team, so hopefully he can make a step up.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Djenepo sunk back to his bad old habits today not least of which is the persistent diving. Ralph quite rightly hooked him after he got booked. He needs to be told in to uncertain terms to cut this aspect of his game out because he will get the reputation of being a diver and won't even get free kicks when he's genuinely been fouled.

7 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Unfortunately Djenepo sunk back to his bad old habits today not least of which is the persistent diving. Ralph quite rightly hooked him after he got booked. He needs to be told in to uncertain terms to cut this aspect of his game out because he will get the reputation of being a diver and won't even get free kicks when he's genuinely been fouled.

Perhaps he needs a year (or two) on loan to Celtic.

I think he has a thinking problem. His brain is in sync with his feet consequently he is always rushed and presented with an early pass misses the opportunity and then has to beat defenders challenging him. He needs to get his head up and ahead of his feet which could avoid snatching at chances.. Moi showed how, shinned the shot and bundled in the rebound because his brain was fast, he did what was needed.

It’s all fine margins really, he created/found himself with the two best opportunities of the game. I can’t remember the last time Redmond or Theo even got in a position to miss a sitter. That cruyff turn he did was a great piece of play that sat the defender down, but unfortunately it hit the back of his own foot and the opportunity was lost. I still think he’s had a decent start to the season, despite the fact people will focus on the two chances he missed today (and should’ve done better with, no doubt).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

It’s all fine margins really, he created/found himself with the two best opportunities of the game. I can’t remember the last time Redmond or Theo even got in a position to miss a sitter. That cruyff turn he did was a great piece of play that sat the defender down, but unfortunately it hit the back of his own foot and the opportunity was lost. I still think he’s had a decent start to the season, despite the fact people will focus on the two chances he missed today (and should’ve done better with, no doubt).

To be fair to Redmond, he impacted the game when he came on with in effect two assists.

But the reality is none of those 3 are really good enough, we need a better winger/number 10 type if we are to be really successful. I think we all want Moussa to be successful as he's a likeable character, but this is his third season and bar two goals in the first month of him being here in 2019 he has been fairly hopeless sadly.

All legs and no brain is probably a fair review of his time.

Edited by S-Clarke

Moussa  oh Moussa don't  worry about our fans opinions of your qualities. Our fans have such a bad reputation of writing off players because they lack the ability to see what a good player is. They ignore your accomplishments to get here, that pro scouts and coaches have seen you as a talent and committed to your future.  I see ( and Ralf) your talent, desire and hunger to play ball, I see the off ball effort you make to get involved. You give my team everything you have got and I appreciate it and you. Please  don't let the doubters bring you down.  I will support you as I did when JWP, DIALLO, MOI or even Mane was deemed not good enough by our quick to wrongly judge fans. 

I saw the game reactions to NFC , do you speak to your family like that? This is our team/family! How can you shit all over your family and expect positive things? Tell your son when he is trying his best he is a useless cunt", really, is that how your inspire or help them to be better? Please read over that thread, when we went down 2-1, posters, supposedly Fans attacked our family with vile and contempt. What nasty bastards some of you are, when it gets tough, you shite all over your own family. I would never go to war with your lot.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Moussa  oh Moussa don't  worry about our fans opinions of your qualities. Our fans have such a bad reputation of writing off players because they lack the ability to see what a good player is. They ignore your accomplishments to get here, that pro scouts and coaches have seen you as a talent and committed to your future.  I see ( and Ralf) your talent, desire and hunger to play ball, I see the off ball effort you make to get involved. You give my team everything you have got and I appreciate it and you. Please  don't let the doubters bring you down.  I will support you as I did when JWP, DIALLO, MOI or even Mane was deemed not good enough by our quick to wrongly judge fans. 

I saw the game reactions to NFC , do you speak to your family like that? This is our team/family! How can you shit all over your family and expect positive things? Tell your son when he is trying his best he is a useless cunt", really, is that how your inspire or help them to be better? Please read over that thread, when we went down 2-1, posters, supposedly Fans attacked our family with vile and contempt. What nasty bastards some of you are, when it gets tough, you shite all over your own family. I would never go to war with your lot.

It's his third season. I think most fans can see a good player when they see one, I'd say the majority of fans saw that with Mane but there were a small selection of those who didn't. So don't throw around the  ''I'm a better fan than you'' bullshit.

I'm not doubting his work rate or his effort for the team, that's clearly there. What I am questioning is his actual ability to make the difference in the key moments. In his third season we are still having the same debates about him, the 'he is young' calls are now no longer relevant - so why does he still struggle to control his feet? Why is his brain not in sync with the rest of his body?

We all want him to be successful but after 3 seasons we are faced with the same issues.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

By the same point in his Saints career as Djenepo, Sadio Mane had already been sold to Liverpool for £36m.

Apart from that, your post is absolute horseshit, but help yourself to a golden greatest ever super fan crown on the way out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I bet you vote Liberal Democrat

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I bet you vote Liberal Democrat

Bermuda’s post was nonsense what has the way any Saints fan post on players or matches got to do with the way they vote? That is warped.

Does LD think our keepers are rubbish because he’s Conservative/UKIP? Of course not, he can see they are both super-annuated and barely Championship standard same as most of us. Same as Egg who is left of centre and same as me central politically.

Try spending a little less time on Facebook - you might even progress to Head Chef in the Navy with a bit of broadening those horizons. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Bermuda’s post was nonsense what has the way any Saints fan post on players or matches got to do with the way they vote? That is warped.

Does LD think our keepers are rubbish because he’s Conservative/UKIP? Of course not, he can see they are both super-annuated and barely Championship standard same as most of us. Same as Egg who is left of centre and same as me central politically.

Try spending a little less time on Facebook - you might even progress to Head Chef in the Navy with a bit of broadening those horizons. 

I am a little bit lost on what you are on about 🤨 - It was a throw-away, jokey comment.

(i'll put you down for UKIP)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I am a little bit lost on what you are on about 🤨 - It was a throw-away, jokey comment.

(i'll put you down for UKIP)

Fair play. I tend to vote Lib Dem but agree that Djenepo hasn’t really shown anything more than cameos since WBA 12 months ago. I think most fans would say the same tbh and Bermuda has a different view to the majority. Moussa seems a nice lad and a good hour or so v Man U last week but not sure why Tella isn’t getting a run ahead of him, Redmond, who came on and did well yesterday but equally poor 12 months, and Theo who is out of sorts.

6 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Don’t read too much into it, it’s just raw emotion, we all do it to some degree. When you are at a game you have the release of screaming, shouting, cheering, sobbing or whatever. We haven’t had much chance to do that the last couple of seasons snd most of us don’t get to go to the away games. 

4 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Don’t read too much into it, it’s just raw emotion, we all do it to some degree. When you are at a game you have the release of screaming, shouting, cheering, sobbing or whatever. We haven’t had much chance to do that the last couple of seasons snd most of us don’t get to go to the away games. 

6 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I heartily agree, I will never forget the abuse Mane got on this Forum. I don't know how these people can think of themselves as supporters. They aren't, they are self appointed expert critics who will rubbish anyone JWP has had a basin full of it for years, Forster was Enemy No1 for a long time. Now our present goaly get it in the neck what ever he does. And the manager gets rubbished as well. Reallyu they all performing a miracle to jkeep us in the Premier year on year when we haven't really got the resources to compete, but we manage it. Time some flags came out. Do other Clubs have moaning 'fans' like this, or is it just us?

• 1 month later...

Forgot this thread was actually about Moussa Djenepo. 

A player who can drive you to distraction with his amazing dribbling, or insane behaviour and who can go

from hero to zero in a few seconds.  Having said that.... I returned to watch a replay of Broja's goal v. Leeds

(well there hasn't been too many others to look at ) ..and noted the text book training ground move that saw

Redmond gifting Broja the goal chance, but which actually started with Djenepo winning the ball outside his own

penalty area and placing an exquisite pass into the path of Nathan Redmond, who was already up-and-running.

We have to admit that Moussa has been.... "rather inconsistent"  ( I chose a polite phrase)  during the last season

but his spontaneity and ball control looks very good  (when it works).

Sadly, like a few others, he has often only come into games as sub. or second-choice starter when the team lacked

cohesion and creativity and when we needed a " quick fix"  ...(a task which subs. seldom achieve).

So this  occasion when we ought to say  "nice one  Moussa" ....and perhaps credit him with " half of an assist."  

• Like 1

On 29/08/2021 at 21:30, Dellman said:

I heartily agree, I will never forget the abuse Mane got on this Forum. I don't know how these people can think of themselves as supporters. They aren't, they are self appointed expert critics who will rubbish anyone JWP has had a basin full of it for years, Forster was Enemy No1 for a long time. Now our present goaly get it in the neck what ever he does. And the manager gets rubbished as well. Reallyu they all performing a miracle to jkeep us in the Premier year on year when we haven't really got the resources to compete, but we manage it. Time some flags came out. Do other Clubs have moaning 'fans' like this, or is it just us?

If you think you are going to join a forum where the team has only won 5 games in the last 30 odd and expect nothing but gushing praise for everyone and everything at the club then you are going to be disappointed I’m afraid.