Moussa Djenepo, can he step up next season?

Mr X

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Telling people what they can say now are we? 
I think Saints will go down if Ralph stays so forgive me for being a concerned fan right now. I also think he is the most relevant factor in our progress (or not) so his name is bound to regularly appear. 

Don’t play the concerned fan act, it’s nonsense. You’ve had it in for Ralph for personal reasons and have a go at him at every opportunity. Clubs like saints will get relegated sooner or later it might be with Ralph as manager it might be when he’s long gone, I’m sure you’ll be the first to telling everyone I told you so when it does.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Telling people what they can say now are we? 
I think Saints will go down if Ralph stays so forgive me for being a concerned fan right now. I also think he is the most relevant factor in our progress (or not) so his name is bound to regularly appear. 

With or without Ralph, it's inevitable at some point, due to the fact the club has zero investment.  We're basically competing with the 3 clubs that have come up, Burnley, Brighton and Crystal Palace.

One of the reasons I didn't want Villa or Leeds to get promoted, as they had way higher resources than us, and would make it more difficult for us to stay in the league.

Not quite sure why you have a vendetta about Ralph, seems way over the top to me.

• Like 1

I feel for Moussa. I think people forget that he’s only just turned 23, and has had a number of injuries. There’s a player there, and as shown by the odd impact off the bench I do think he can be a real asset moving forward.

he’s one of those players that will never convince some fans. Take Redmond as an example. We all get infuriated by his constant turning away from defenders and passing backwards rather than taking the player on. As fans we scream at wingers to try to beat their man, and we say things like “if he loses it, so what, at least he’s tried something”. However that’s just not true. If a player tries to beat a defender 5 times and is successful once, I’m pretty sure we’d be on their back about how many times they gave the ball away. Moussa has the ability to go past players, but he’s also up against the best defenders in the world, so it won’t always be successful. I say just support him, applaud the efforts and encourage him not to turn into Redmond 2.0.

• Like 1

I think the comparisons to Boufal are a little unfair. Sure he is a classic "technical winger" but he is also unironically our best defender on the left. With a more attacking full-back behind him in Perraud that may come in more important than ever this season.

I think if he can stay fit then he should be starting most of our games on the left this season. He's certainly better than Redmond out there and Tella seems to be used more as a striker.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Don’t play the concerned fan act, it’s nonsense. You’ve had it in for Ralph for personal reasons and have a go at him at every opportunity. Clubs like saints will get relegated sooner or later it might be with Ralph as manager it might be when he’s long gone, I’m sure you’ll be the first to telling everyone I told you so when it does.

I for one don't think we'll get relegated under Ralph. The time for that has passed in previous seasons. We even managed to be clear last season and we could barely get a win for half of it.

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s too soft. 

Do you really think that, it may have been true once, but more recently I've seen him get lumps kicked out of him every game and he generally battles on through.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Felt DJenepo provided ample cover last season, he's got the speed for a wing back.

getting cover for KWP and an option for someone to compliment JWP / Romeu / Diallo for DM needs to be proprity.  

27 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Felt DJenepo provided ample cover last season, he's got the speed for a wing back.

getting cover for KWP and an option for someone to compliment JWP / Romeu / Diallo for DM needs to be proprity.  

He’ll have to refine his tackling style, he was lucky to stay on the pitch at times last season.

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

That's code for ''we won't be buying another full back'' if I ever saw it!

Who is the u23s left back this season? Whoever is developing in that position is going to have a chance to break into the team unless Perraud does well and stays fit. 

Wouldn't surprise me with Saints if cover is really KWP moving to left back and Stephens or JWP slotting in on the right. 

I don't think he has been great there but he is still young, maybe he can be converted. Tbh I think it's very unlikely we don't sign atleast one back up fullback though and hopefully they can cover both sides.

13 minutes ago, Danbert said:

Ralph is very clear:

Discussing Djenepo's recent performances at left-back, Hasenhuttl told the club website: "I think it’s like a bonus that compared to the other number 10s, he can also play in this position.

"He is defensively super strong, when he goes and attacks. And with the ball he has shown when he is up the pitch he can dribble inside.

"As a full-back, this is a super nasty situation.

"I see him there in this season to be honest". 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Ralph is very clear:

Discussing Djenepo's recent performances at left-back, Hasenhuttl told the club website: "I think it’s like a bonus that compared to the other number 10s, he can also play in this position.

"He is defensively super strong, when he goes and attacks. And with the ball he has shown when he is up the pitch he can dribble inside.

"As a full-back, this is a super nasty situation.

"I see him there in this season to be honest". 

Doesn't sound like the player wants to play there though 

"He still has to learn. Especially his mindset must be right, that he accepts this position and that he wants to play there. Then I think he can do a good job there."

Hes been here what, two years ? When he arrived he was definitely raw but he played with a certain freedom and we saw several great goals and assists. I get the feeling the club wanted him to have more discipline positionally and I think they got that. 

He is a prime example of our ethos of keeping the ball at all costs. He was always a risk taker with the ball, he'd often lose it, but occasionally create something. Now he gets to the edge of the box and turns back or passes it inside. Now maybe Saints need to do that. We can't concede if we have the ball and maybe Djenepo is now "doing a job". But the cost appears to be that the creative spark is stifled. To me it was that unpredictability that was so nice to watch. Now he is slowly turning into another water carrier and we have enough of those in our midfield. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is terrible at throw ins which is often the fullbacks job. He gives away foul throws, which is a really basic error.

Probably the last thing I’d be worried about if we had to put up with him at Left Back for a sustained period of time. 

He’s good at pressing the ball and winning it high but 1-1 defending he is atrocious. I’d bet on a penalty a game against him. And I don’t think he has the intelligence to play there. 

Absolutely laughable If we are seriously considering him as an option at LB. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is terrible at throw ins which is often the fullbacks job. He gives away foul throws, which is a really basic error.

He does, and overall we've been poor at throw ins for quite a while. I can't think of one of our players who looks confident with them. 

13 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He can't be worse than KWP.  He looks as if can barely lift the ball, let alone throw it.  

They had one of the PL refs on Talksport recently and he said that they have pretty much been told not to call any foul throws if they can avoid it.

I quite like Djenepo and think Ralph has managed him pretty terribly. He put in a man of the match performance against Chelsea, yet barely played since. All the while Redmond continues to stink the place out game after game and most games gets to play the full 90. How is Djenepo meant to get any rhythm going? He should have been rewarded for that Chelsea game with a few more opportunities in consecutive games. But oh no, Redmonds finger pointing must be essential to our play.

That said, the idea that he is our reserve left back is utterly terrifying. We conceded so many goals last season so it's not like we have a good foundation to drop him into. We are woeful at the back. He will get stuck in, and occasionally look okay. But how is he going to go when there is a big lump up front peeling off and targeting him off crosses? Or someone with dancing feet looking for a penalty (which most wingers seem to do nowadays rather than going for goal). It's almost hanging him out to dry, cos he's gonna be awful, but that's not really his fault. 

• Like 5

In the last year or so we’ve given contracts to Long and Walcott because they were ‘good lads to have in the dressing room’. Given our limited funds it would seem bizarre that they took priority over cover at fullback but that might be where we’re heading.

13 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

In the last year or so we’ve given contracts to Long and Walcott because they were ‘good lads to have in the dressing room’. Given our limited funds it would seem bizarre that they took priority over cover at fullback but that might be where we’re heading.

I get that, but the issue is a transfer fee to get the full back to pay the wages to. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I get that, but the issue is a transfer fee to get the full back to pay the wages to. 

I can’t imagine they’re on anything less than £150kpw combined, ignoring whatever signing on fee we gave Theo. Supposing we brought in a reserve FB on £50k, the extra £100k adds up to over £10m over a 2 year contract, which could have gone on a transfer fee.

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

I flippin' hope not. He should be LW and nowhere else. Not LWB or LB. Middle 2 in our 4-2-2-2. He has creativity which is being knocked out of him by being asked to work on a defensive game.

7 hours ago, TWar said:

Leach clearing things up a bit. Djenepo is not expected to be our back up left back but could be third or fourth choice if really needed.

Ralph has said we will definitely sign full backs in other windows too and we haven’t, so I’ll wait until we do before believing it

On 05/07/2021 at 18:43, igsey said:

I think the comparisons to Boufal are a little unfair. Sure he is a classic "technical winger" but he is also unironically our best defender on the left. With a more attacking full-back behind him in Perraud that may come in more important than ever this season.

I think if he can stay fit then he should be starting most of our games on the left this season. He's certainly better than Redmond out there and Tella seems to be used more as a striker.

as much as i dislike redmond's game and lack of any serious progress he has made with us as a player, i haven't yet been entirely convinced by djenepo that I would play him over redmond. with redmond we get a consistent 6 every game, with djenepo it can either be a 3 or a 9. consistency is his biggest weakness imo

3 hours ago, Maya's Dad said:

as much as i dislike redmond's game and lack of any serious progress he has made with us as a player, i haven't yet been entirely convinced by djenepo that I would play him over redmond. with redmond we get a consistent 6 every game, with djenepo it can either be a 3 or a 9. consistency is his biggest weakness imo

Watching a different game to me if you think Redmond is a consistent 6.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Maya's Dad said:

, with djenepo it can either be a 3 or a 9. consistency is his biggest weakness imo

Rather like Boufal we will recall his one or two good games over a season or two in assessing him and whether he warrants a new contract or not.

I suspect this thread will still be running, or another one of similar title with the same question posed, this time next year.

7 hours ago, Maya's Dad said:

djenepo it can either be a 3 or a 9.

When has Djenepo ever put in a "9"?

He's scored four goals total. Two coming off the bench late and one where he had to come off injured at half time. The only game he's played the majority of and scored was at Sheffield United, where he bagged a great goal but was otherwise a total liability at wing back.

The rest of the time he's contributed pretty much fuck all beyond cameos.

During the games last season, with the absence of crowd noise, you could hear Ralph shouting instructions to the players non-stop throughout games; and he seemed to particularly concentrate on micro-managing Djenepo who was often near the technical area. On one occasion this went "go up Moussa!......go up Moussa!....Moussa, you can go further up the pitch now!". And Djenepo just seemed bemused by the constant coaching, trying to do his best and getting some pretty rugged treatment from the opposition.

My reading of this is that he came to the club expecting to be used as an attacking flair player, and found a reality where he needs to fit into a disciplined machine, with lots of work off the ball and closing down when not in possession.

I reckon he could flower into a great player if he can fully adapt to what Ralph wants him to do for 95% of the game, while still being able to express himself and do the unexpected (in a good way!) when we are attacking.

16 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

When has Djenepo ever put in a "9"?

He's scored four goals total. Two coming off the bench late and one where he had to come off injured at half time. The only game he's played the majority of and scored was at Sheffield United, where he bagged a great goal but was otherwise a total liability at wing back.

The rest of the time he's contributed pretty much fuck all beyond cameos.

So we don’t like players who put a shift in, pretty solid but unspectacular but usually register 3 or 4 goals and assists a season. We also don’t like players who have a bit of flair capable of the spectacular but by nature quite inconsistent. So what do we want?

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

So we don’t like players who put a shift in, pretty solid but unspectacular but usually register 3 or 4 goals and assists a season. We also don’t like players who have a bit of flair capable of the spectacular but by nature quite inconsistent. So what do we want?

Err it's pretty simple. We want a player who is young and hungry and guaranteed to improve, who has flair and creativity with consistent end product, who knows his defensive responsibilities and isn't afraid to bellow at his team mates and put in some hard tackles whilst dragging the team up by the scruff of their necks. They must be loyal to the club, hate pompey, happy to sign new contracts but won't let his contract run down, nor willing to stay at the club and be a drain on wages when approaching the latter end of his career.

He must also be available for about 10m

firstly, he cant play at full back.

He certainly tries hard, but he just doesn't understand the position, where to be, distances, when to tackle when to hold. He ain't got it. I think he could play there for five years and still not understand it.

Obviously we are a little short handed at this moment, but right now Ralph is ruining his preseason by not getting him running at full backs, taking players on, crossing, shooting etc.

To be honest I get a little fed up of flair players being mistreated at Saints. He, like many others before him, need an arm round them and confidence boosted to the max. Play them every week, get them the ball and have them doing stuff that gets bums off seats.

But this never happens. They get half a game here and there. Have a good game, get in the side, don't take the world by storm in the next game and dropped. You will never get the best out of flair players like that . Got to trust them and back them. You don't see any other position treated like this.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nolan said:

But isn't he forgetting the primary role of a LB? Defending.

And he can't defend. And to be fair to him that shouldn't be expected of him either, he's an attacker.

If he's effective offensively then we play him as a winger, which is what he is. Would be suicide to have him as a LB in the PL.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

But isn't he forgetting the primary role of a LB? Defending.

And he can't defend. And to be fair to him that shouldn't be expected of him either, he's an attacker.

If he's effective offensively then we play him as a winger, which is what he is. Would be suicide to have him as a LB in the PL.

Yep. Agree. Although, I have been impressed with him in the two friendly games. No doubting there is a player there, just shouldn't be at left back.