The Saintsweb guide to transfer strategy

Ex Lion Tamer

• Get all your signings done weeks before the end of the window. Pay whatever the selling club is asking for to make this happen. Equally, sell players for whatever a buying club's initial offer is in case they don't come back with a better one.
  • Prioritise players who used to play for the club. Ideally they will be over the age of 33.
  • Aim for Scandinavian players as we've had some good ones in the past.
  • Avoid South American players as we've had some bad ones in the past.
  • Full backs must not be smaller than 6ft.
  • Make sure any centre backs and defensive midfielders have a track record of shouting a lot.
  • Make 6+ signings in total even if that means having to go for cheaper, average players.
  • Spend more than the club can afford.

Anything else?

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

As soon as a player is rumoured make up a song for them which includes a line about hating Pompey.

If the signing is a centre back there must be a post reminiscing about the times we signed Van Dijk and Alderweireld.

Anyone under 23 should be described as "young, hungry and guaranteed to improve."

Something about Les Reed or Ross Wilson screwing us over.

A short YouTube clip followed by posts where people who have never heard of the player judge his whole career off the back of a 3 minute highlight reel with a terrible Euro dance backing track made by a 14 year old who has been banned from his Xbox and has nothing better to do.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:
  • Get all your signings done weeks before the end of the window. Pay whatever the selling club is asking for to make this happen. Equally, sell players for whatever a buying club's initial offer is in case they don't come back with a better one.
  • Prioritise players who used to play for the club. Ideally they will be over the age of 33.
  • Aim for Scandinavian players as we've had some good ones in the past.
  • Avoid South American players as we've had some bad ones in the past.
  • Full backs must not be smaller than 6ft.
  • Make sure any centre backs and defensive midfielders have a track record of shouting a lot.
  • Make 6+ signings in total even if that means having to go for cheaper, average players.
  • Spend more than the club can afford.

Anything else?

you’ve cover a lot of it but missed 

Get depressed because we didn’t sign a whole list of players no one has heard of because they’re good on football manager or fifa/they went to another premier league club/you saw their name on some geeky scouting report or chart.

judge a player purely on their statistics

describe every young player and young and hungry so guaranteed to improve 

When we sell a player for a massive fee based on current prices bemoan years later how we we sold them too cheaply

Edited by Turkish

23 minutes ago, The Cat said:

A short YouTube clip followed by posts where people who have never heard of the player judge his whole career off the back of a 3 minute highlight reel with a terrible Euro dance backing track made by a 14 year old who has been banned from his Xbox and has nothing better to do.

I'd agree with you generally although I think the youtube clip of Carillo was fairly damning and supported the view we were signing a donkey.

A) 25 man PL squad rules don't apply to us. We should buy enough players from other clubs (whether they are available or not)  to have minimum 3 for every position on the pitch. And all of them already PL quality.

B) In addition to A we should also have a ready made squad coming through from the Academy who can fit in seamlessly at any time.

C) Irrespective of B we should never sell an Academy product because, like, what's the point

D) Irrespective of C we should get rid of any Academy product deemed not quite a world beater and follow A

E) We should never pay our own players more than necessary and/or give them a long contract to keep them

F) Irrespective of E when we lose a player to another club who offer them  larger pay and/or a longer contract it's our fault for not offering better.

G) All incoming transfers and players wages should be paid for out of the owners personal funds regardless of any FFP rules and/or whether those funds even exist.

H) We must sell anyone deemed a scapegoat irrespective of whether anyone wanys to buy them

I) If all or any of A-H are followed, we should have done it earlier.

Edited by Wurzel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

I'm fond the once-ubiquitous catchphrase "Could he do a job for us?" which I recall applied to any player coming to the end of his contract when we were in the lower leagues. Probably the Paul Allen thread too. Apparently it even made it into an FBI glossary, impressive considering I don't believe anyone else used it outside the online Saints community.

The manager is in charge of incomings, outgoings, all scouting, all negotiation, all contract extensions, making the tea for the players, the lot.

"Why doesn't Ralph simply sell a few players to get the people he wants, lazy is what it is, get on the phone to Norwich you mug"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Anything other than a move to Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid, PSG, MAN City etc etc is a sideways move and what's the point?

In which case, if a top team is interest, they’d only sit on the bench anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Blame Les Reed or Puel for the lack of money, absolve Ralph of any blame. 

The lack of money is definitely Ralphs fault, why doesn't he sell his car or remortgage his house or something? Complete lack of commitment.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Ensure that you use an incorrect word in order that some smartarse can pick you up on it 😜

Yeah.

In any window never, ever, sign less players than Norwich or Fulham.

It's " fewer" FFS.

;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Before signing any players waste a significant chunk of available funds in sacking/paying off the manager and all coaches. Any managerial/coaching replacements must have never been sacked by any other club ever as well as being currently employed at another club, meaning we will have to spend more of the transfer funds in compensation.

4 hours ago, TWar said:

The lack of money is definitely Ralphs fault, why doesn't he sell his car or remortgage his house or something? Complete lack of commitment.

Whilst maybe he can influence budget for incomings. Loaning out our back up RB when we had no one to replace him, was 100% Ralph’s fault though and it bite us on the arse, hard. 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Whilst maybe he can influence budget for incomings. Loaning out our back up RB when we had no one to replace him, was 100% Ralph’s fault though and it bite us on the arse, hard. 

Our back up RB was dreadful. I don't see how you can complain about losing a player who couldn't even get into an average Birmingham side. To say it bit us on the arse you'd need to say he would have been better than what we had and I don't think thats a fair assumption.

Edited by TWar

2 hours ago, SKD said:

There were moves to bring in that cover at full back when we let Valery go, but we couldn't move forward with that until we had a loan fee/% of wages off the bill from the Valery move. That's what I heard anyway. So we had to sanction the depature first, then move forward on our moves, which then didn't come to fruition. Always a risk.

Similar happened with KWP, we had to shift on Cedric first...before we had the funds to bring him in on a loan.

It's all very frustrating and you cannot run a PL club in this way. Miracle we're still here. I think Ralph, under the circumstances he's in, has been excellent and the only bit of stability we have. Some fans seem keen to throw the only positive thing about us in the bin and I don't understand that.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Load whichever relevant football manager in the series is the latest with a small database and filter all players interested in a transfer, giving you about 30 well known duds to choose from. Do not use scouting, at all. Do not watch any players. Choose from that list.

Laud saints for the way we go about out business privately, despite it being all over the media we’ve had a ridiculously low bid rejected but this is just us not paying over the odds.  Lambast any other club who has low offers appear in the media for our players as being disruptive scum club trying to unsettle our players 

14 hours ago, TWar said:

Our back up RB was dreadful. I don't see how you can complain about losing a player who couldn't even get into an average Birmingham side. To say it bit us on the arse you'd need to say he would have been better than what we had and I don't think thats a fair assumption.

I agree, Valery isn’t great. However, he’s much better than Bederak or Stephens at RB. 

Valery doesn’t suit a back 4, defensively he’s not strong enough, however he’s competent enough as cover, as a wing back in a 5. God forbid we have to change formation, what’s the worse that could happen? I mean, we lost nearly every game from January anyway.

To leave yourself as no back up Right Back is absolutely ludicrous and poor judgement from the manager. 

10 minutes ago, SKD said:

I agree, Valery isn’t great. However, he’s much better than Bederak or Stephens at RB. 

Valery doesn’t suit a back 4, defensively he’s not strong enough, however he’s competent enough as cover, as a wing back in a 5. God forbid we have to change formation, what’s the worse that could happen? I mean, we lost nearly every game from January anyway.

To leave yourself as no back up Right Back is absolutely ludicrous and poor judgement from the manager. 

In our first bad spell under Ralph, we played wing backs and we only managed to turn things around by switching to 4222. Going back to a failed formation would have been a disaster

24 minutes ago, SKD said:

I disagree, I think Stephens and Bednarek were both better at rb than Valery, as was JWP with Romeu and Diallo in the middle. We didn't get to see the latter due to more unforseen injuries. 

Also bertrand is horrible as a wingback as he can't attack anymore. Furthermore, if we play 3atb Stephens has to start anyway and he's dreadful at cb too so I think 3atb would be a disaster. We would be losing an attacker, playing Bertrand where he does not excel, completely change our shape and how we play, and starting Stephens at cb, just to facilitate Valery. I'd rather we just put Stephens or Bednarek at RB tbh.

Also when Valery left Ralph was pretty sure he'd be replaced, he said as much in the press, the club let him down by failing to do so. Unless you are a fool like Duckhunter and think it was his job to scout and buy another fullback. 

Edited by TWar

Sell a player, wait to the following season to replace them and discover that player inflation means that for the amount of money you sold one player you can now only obtain a player with 50% of the ability of the last one, but at the same cost. Then repeat over several seasons.

• 2 weeks later...