Tino Livramento

SuperSAINT

5 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Personally I think selling livramento is a poor decision.  Yes we clear £20m, but he has the potential to be worth so much more and we should be using him this season.  When we lose kwp we'll go from two first class right backs to zero.  If Max Aarons signs that'll mitigate, but I'd rather we got a season out of livramento

I think, because of the injury, he carries a risk of more injuries, because of the type of player he is. I think it was a sensible decision 

So my work colleague has been on maternity leave, she came back last week and gave her notice in, she's got a better job. Should she 'stay loyal' to the company that put her through the mat leave and turn down the chance of a lifetime? If not, I don't see how that's different to the Tino situation.

Let's look at this with a bit of context...

Yes the club put Tino through his treatment and got him back on track but why did the club do this? They did it because they were legally obliged to. Not out of the goodness of their heart.

This is a nasty injury and there's no guarantee that he'll be the same and also can quite easily reoccur at any point (Svensson prime example). Tino may not have got another chance to play in the CL.

Had he come back and was crap and it had ruined his career, would the club have stayed loyal to him? If he's expected to 'show loyalty' to the club then that should work both ways. If he'd come back from his injury a different (worse) player would the club have kept him on the books and seen out his contract anyway? No. In that hypothetical scenario, the club would have binned him off as soon as they could and fans would have probably turned on him.

We also have Bree and KWP and are being heavily linked with Max Aarons. So there's every chance the club asked him to go (this is also implied in the club's statement from today) because it makes absolutely no sense to have all three of them here and Tino is the most valuable money wise. Newcastle came in with an offer and the club accepted it.

At no point (as far as we know but there's no reason to think it) has the kid downed tools and refused to play, as far as I can see he's acted like a total professional.

Tbh I find such comments like "I hope his knee goes again" utterly disgraceful and tbh if I were JWP or KWP or anyone else being linked with a move away and I saw those comments about a young player and probably a friend of mine, all it would do is convince me to leave. Stop it. It's just a horrible thing to say and totally unjust.

All in all, the club was here long before Tino and it'll be here long after. This isn't the end of the world, it's something we all knew was coming from the moment he first played for us. I for one wish him all the very best and look forward to seeing his career play out!

Good luck, Tino!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, James G said:

I think it was a sensible decision 

Declining £40m would have been extremely tough to do. Not allowing players to join CL sides would make it difficult to recruit others of a similar ilk.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

So my work colleague has been on maternity leave, she came back last week and gave her notice in, she's got a better job. Should she 'stay loyal' to the company that put her through the mat leave and turn down the chance of a lifetime? If not, I don't see how that's different to the Tino situation.

Let's look at this with a bit of context...

Yes the club put Tino through his treatment and got him back on track but why did the club do this? They did it because they were legally obliged to. Not out of the goodness of their heart.

This is a nasty injury and there's no guarantee that he'll be the same and also can quite easily reoccur at any point (Svensson prime example). Tino may not have got another chance to play in the CL.

Had he come back and was crap and it had ruined his career, would the club have stayed loyal to him? If he's expected to 'show loyalty' to the club then that should work both ways. If he'd come back from his injury a different (worse) player would the club have kept him on the books and seen out his contract anyway? No. In that hypothetical scenario, the club would have binned him off as soon as they could and fans would have probably turned on him.

We also have Bree and KWP and are being heavily linked with Max Aarons. So there's every chance the club asked him to go (this is also implied in the club's statement from today) because it makes absolutely no sense to have all three of them here and Tino is the most valuable money wise. Newcastle came in with an offer and the club accepted it.

At no point (as far as we know but there's no reason to think it) has the kid downed tools and refused to play, as far as I can see he's acted like a total professional.

Tbh I find such comments like "I hope his knee goes again" utterly disgraceful and tbh if I were JWP or KWP or anyone else being linked with a move away and I saw those comments about a young player and probably a friend of mine, all it would do is convince me to leave. Stop it. It's just a horrible thing to say and totally unjust.

All in all, the club was here long before Tino and it'll be here long after. This isn't the end of the world, it's something we all knew was coming from the moment he first played for us. I for one wish him all the very best and look forward to seeing his career play out!

Good luck, Tino!

Good post. In addition to the reasons you state why we supported him through his recovery, there's the small reason of preserving our asset. 

I'm not sure the bench at Newcastle is the best place for the lad, but good luck to him.

Good luck Tino. Newcastle are taking a punt on his fitness but it's probably a punt worth taking for the money... and they have a lot of it. For me we now must try to keep KWP. Bree and Aarons would be decent right backs but not of the same quality as KWP and Tino IMO. But the fact that we've been linked to Aarons probably means they're expecting KWP to go.

I would also point out to the people who've seem to have thin skin regarding his comments on joining newcastle that these are the same platitudes every footballer spouts to ingratiate themselves into the fanbase upon joining.

"As soon as I knew (insert team) were interested"

"Growing up I was a fan"

"The project here"

Its all just PR bullshit - Tino nice kid, left us the right way for big dollars and then has to give club interviews at newcastle so he has to say positive stuff.

I for one hope he does well.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

Good move for all parties IMO. Assuming he recovers well, Tino will be a top player one day and a good long term replacement for Trippier. We’ll make probably £20m profit on a very low risk/outlay and lose the risk of his injuries being a recurring problem. Plus we didn’t need three RBS anyway.

34 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Bridge was a better defender - I’ll get me tin hat 

Bridge was awesome defensively.

Tino has all the running of TAA without any of the output offensively. Also defensively, he’s not very good.

Bags of potential but I can’t see him becoming a world beater.

To be honest I’ve got no problem with him going…never felt like he would provide long term service and in particular, his injury is an on-going risk Saints can live without. Mostly though my feeling is that KWP is a better all round player, more suited to the style of football Martin wants. My biggest concern is what’s left if KWP leaves - Bree is OK, but not good enough to contribute to a strong promotion team IMO and we would need better - not sure if that would be Aaron?

• 2 months later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Tino Livramento
25 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Tan Hagg gets off very lightly, given the state of Man United (again)

Is it him or is it the toxic culture at Man U? Every manager who’s been there since fergie has failed miserably. That club is rotten from top to bottom, ever since the last year of fergies reign it’s been a club in decline. It’s actually quite sad to see, I know a lot of people hate them but it’s a great English club a shadow of itself. They should be challenging for every trophy available. They’re not even close

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is it him or is it the toxic culture at Man U? Every manager who’s been there since fergie has failed miserably. That club is rotten from top to bottom, ever since the last year of fergies reign it’s been a club in decline. It’s actually quite sad to see, I know a lot of people hate them but it’s a great English club a shadow of itself. They should be challenging for every trophy available. They’re not even close

Long may it continue,arrogant want it all fans horrible. Manure are a team of big payday players ,thinking they've made it but forget about history and legacy and just go through the motions.

4 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Long may it continue,arrogant want it all fans horrible. Manure are a team of big payday players ,thinking they've made it but forget about history and legacy and just go through the motions.

They are now but that wasn’t always the case and just shows what an incredible manager Ferguson was, if anyone got bigger than the club they were gone. I remember when he was there people said managing them was easy, even Alan Pardew would win the league with them and if they’d just spend £200m to buy new players. How laughably wrong that has proven to be 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Turkish said:

They are now but that wasn’t always the case and just shows what an incredible manager Ferguson was, if anyone got bigger than the club they were gone. I remember when he was there people said managing them was easy, even Alan Pardew would win the league with them and if they’d just spend £200m to buy new players. How laughably wrong that has proven to be 

Good old 1teem. What a complete fuckwit he was, he made aintclever look like a rocket scientist.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

It wasn't if a player became bigger than the club---it was if a player became bigger than him 

The United player - Antony. It must be a close run thing between him and Richarlison (Spuds) as to who is the most miserable fucker on a football field. They must each be making a very handsome living, earning obscene amounts of money for playing a game they (presumably) love, but I don't recall ever seeing either of them smile. 

But have to agree with others, Tino was brilliant. We were lucky to have seen him at Saints and he made us some ££££'s as well. Good luck to the lad. It looks as though he has recovered fully from his bad injury.

Edited by Saint Keef
addition
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Fair point about the culture, but it must be from the players/people there before Ten Hag....Rashford, Martial etc. Rashord steals a living at that club, but is talked about like he is a world class player.

However, Ten Hag was brought in to turn it around, and it is failing miserably Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Antony, Hoilung, Mount, Onana.....all not performing for various reasons and brought in by this manager, along with Sancho. All well and good Gary neville and the like blaming the Glazers, but they have spent a fucking fortune with this manager (and those before him).

However, god knows who they would replace him with. Potter would not go down well at all, De Zerbi..? I doubt doing very well at Brighton (like Potter) is the level Man United want (or think they can get).

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Agree with this about Fergie, he had time of course but that enabled him to build a winning culture from the foundations up - focus on the best young players and buy in experienced pros who had the character to fit it. Rather like McMenemy in the glory days he also has the nous and strength of character to gamble with hot heads now and again, if he felt they would do it for the club. It was all about Man Utd, the situation with Beckham epitomises that. Doubt that this could happen at a top club these days - player power is everything. 

8 hours ago, Dellyears said:

It wasn't if a player became bigger than the club---it was if a player became bigger than him 

He was right though wasn’t he. He was the boss and if you didn’t like it you’re out. Brian clough was the same, 

45 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Agree with this about Fergie, he had time of course but that enabled him to build a winning culture from the foundations up - focus on the best young players and buy in experienced pros who had the character to fit it. Rather like McMenemy in the glory days he also has the nous and strength of character to gamble with hot heads now and again, if he felt they would do it for the club. It was all about Man Utd, the situation with Beckham epitomises that. Doubt that this could happen at a top club these days - player power is everything. 

Klopp and Guardiola are certainly bigger than their players, and they will move a player on if need. They are the elite, granted.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

When was the last good signing they made? Bruno Fernandes?

I cant remember the last time he had a decent game either.
A very dislikable player who whinges and throws his arms around all game blaming others, certainly not a captain who would inspire me. I think he is one of their biggest problems.
As for Livramento... wow, what a player he will be. Really pleased for him, I just wish we could have enjoyed him for another year.

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Apparently he was canny with his contract too, in that no players, on silly money per week, were being paid more than him.

I think good for him, and as mentioned above, he is the boss, not the players.

I was very proud of Southampton Football Club, when the story broke about the players being told it's Ralph's way or leave (Or something to that effect)

4 hours ago, St Louis said:

I cant remember the last time he had a decent game either.
A very dislikable player who whinges and throws his arms around all game blaming others, certainly not a captain who would inspire me. I think he is one of their biggest problems.
As for Livramento... wow, what a player he will be. Really pleased for him, I just wish we could have enjoyed him for another year.

Totally agree on both counts.  Fernandez is by far the most dislikeable player that I can recall ever seeing play for any team.  No surprise that ManU is a team of miserable f*****s with him as captain.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

Thinking Rashford for Richarlison would be an ace move for Spurs.

Yes, Rashford is wasting his time and career at Man U. I agree, I think he would fit well at Spurs, but boy oh boy can you imagine Richarlison, Antony and Bruno Fernades all together at Man U. What a side-splitting fucking bundle of laughs that would be! 😞☹️😧

• Like 1

Delighted to see Tino have a good game, I really hope he can get some more game time as the season goes on. Interesting that Trippier came on in the second half at LB to allow Tino to stay at RB.

He will be in the England squad before long.

3 hours ago, igsey said:

Delighted to see Tino have a good game, I really hope he can get some more game time as the season goes on. Interesting that Trippier came on in the second half at LB to allow Tino to stay at RB.

He will be in the England squad before long.

Surely this is off topic and is totally irrelevant to this topic about Manchester United. Mods get a grip!

• Haha 1

On 01/11/2023 at 21:51, Turkish said:

Fergie's last season should be remembered as one of the great managerial achievements. The rot had already set in. Their squad was garbage compared to the standards they had set previously. Yet they still won the title pretty much from the fear factor and intimidation that Fergie had built up over decades. That was better than anything Pep has done for example.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

Fergie's last season should be remembered as one of the great managerial achievements. The rot had already set in. Their squad was garbage compared to the standards they had set previously. Yet they still won the title pretty much from the fear factor and intimidation that Fergie had built up over decades. That was better than anything Pep has done for example.

Just what I was typing. I thought Ferguson had a team in decline, with resources tightened in a way that changed for later managers to spend a fortune. Yet, as the embodiment of the club from near top to bottom, he dragged them over the line. As soon as he was gone the usual sorts swarmed around, probably all thinking they had a huge role in all that success.

19 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Totally agree on both counts.  Fernandez is by far the most dislikeable player that I can recall ever seeing play for any team.  No surprise that ManU is a team of miserable f*****s with him as captain.  

Fernandez is leading them by example. His moaning, selfish brittleness and inability to play for others is reflected right through the club.

Great to see. Also shows bigger clubs can fall away, at least a bit, giving hope to others. Until the rest are bought over by country sized investment funds anyway.

Great to see Tino doing well. It reflects well on us in getting other future stars through the door.

1 hour ago, sydney_saint said:

Also helped that RVP had one of the best individual seasons in PL history. When all the talk goes on about United and their crap recruitment, I often think player X would have already been at United under Ferguson. Kane, Grealish and Bellingham al spring to mind. 

As for Tino, he's class, we all know he's class and he will be England's Kyle Walker successor at RB after the next Euros I reckon (Injury's permitting)

1 hour ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Also helped that RVP had one of the best individual seasons in PL history. When all the talk goes on about United and their crap recruitment, I often think player X would have already been at United under Ferguson. Kane, Grealish and Bellingham al spring to mind. 

As for Tino, he's class, we all know he's class and he will be England's Kyle Walker successor at RB after the next Euros I reckon (Injury's permitting)

Rice and Maddison woukd have been there most likely. Absolutely mad that someone as good and proven as those two are basically ignored by a team like United in favour of shite. Not saying they would have all signed now but they've missed out on too many obvious signings. 

On 02/11/2023 at 06:42, AlexLaw76 said:

Fair point about the culture, but it must be from the players/people there before Ten Hag....Rashford, Martial etc. Rashord steals a living at that club, but is talked about like he is a world class player.

However, Ten Hag was brought in to turn it around, and it is failing miserably Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Antony, Hoilung, Mount, Onana.....all not performing for various reasons and brought in by this manager, along with Sancho. All well and good Gary neville and the like blaming the Glazers, but they have spent a fucking fortune with this manager (and those before him).

However, god knows who they would replace him with. Potter would not go down well at all, De Zerbi..? I doubt doing very well at Brighton (like Potter) is the level Man United want (or think they can get).

It seemed last season like Ten Hag was starting to get the best out of players like Rashford and Wan-Bissaka who had stagnated under the previous poor management. But the signings have been shocking and I'm not sure calling players out publicly is the way to go

13 minutes ago, igsey said:

Tino starts for Newcastle in their CL group match away at Dortmund.

I'm pleased for the lad. The BBC shows him lining up in a front 3. Looking at the 11, that's probably right. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.