Adam Armstrong

TWar

5 minutes ago, egg said:

This lad looks decent. Hopefully we can get young Broja in as well to give an alternative option. 

We've done well this window. Got loads of wages off our books, shifted Ings for top money, done a great bit of business with Livramento, and got a decent LB in too. 

Nice. 

Judged on the highlights reel, he's decidedly two footed too - a big asset.

• Like 1

If we finalise this, the window is starting to shape up for us. Sell Vestegaard, get replacement CB, back up LB and CM (the Ox).

if we achieved this it would be the first season that Ralph mainly has players that he wants in his team which gives me more optimism. To date he has been working with a group of players, most of whom are not his aquistion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No it isn't. Just took it to the extreme to highlight a point. Size of strikers doesn't matter, they play to their other strengths. Armstrong isn't being signed to be a target man!

Yes it is. Messi is a phenomenal player who makes up his lack of physicality in other aspects of his game. For example his skill and ball control. 

Look at Iniesta and Xavi, both vertically challenged, but 2 of the best CM’s in the game. Where as Jordy Clasie / Harrison Reed who didn’t have the same level of skill, lacked the physicality. 

That being said, I do I tend to agree that in the role he’ll likely play for saints, you don’t need to be all that tall, however he’ll need strength to hold the ball up and beat a man if he’s going to have a similar role to ings. 

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

Nixon playing the role of "worrying saints fans" very well this summer. Hope we don't get gazumped by Palace.

My hunch is that Armstrong is setting the pace here, I think he wants to join us. Fairly sure the other interest would have ramped up before now otherwise.

4 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yes it is. Messi is a phenomenal player who makes up his lack of physicality in other aspects of his game. For example his skill and ball control. 

Look at Iniesta and Xavi, both vertically challenged, but 2 of the best CM’s in the game. Where as Jordy Clasie / Harrison Reed who didn’t have the same level of skill, lacked the physicality. 

That being said, I do I tend to agree that in the role he’ll likely play for saints, you don’t need to be all that tall, however he’ll need strength to hold the ball up and beat a man if he’s going to have a similar role to ings. 

The state of you 2 tarts derailing the thread by banging on about Messi, Iniesta etc. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The medical is already booked for tomorrow, so it is extremely advanced for a gazumping to happen.

The "there's still a way to go" in that worries me. He needs to agree personal terms.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The medical is already booked for tomorrow, so it is extremely advanced for a gazumping to happen.

Do we think he will fail it, like the internet told us had with Palace last week?

Regarding the heightist comments on this thread, from what I've seen of Armstrong in the videos he reminds me somewhat of Kevin Phillips - a right pest around goal and a niggly player for oppo defenders, just what we need.   He is also a full inch taller than Phillips and will have a home video security system to monitor tradespeople whilst at work.  All of this is progressive. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd give them Long as well, maybe shave 250k off the price.

Seriously though, I think Armstrong looks such a similar player to Ings when you watch him. An absolute pest.

Good age as well, and for less than £15m up front I say we've got exactly the deal we wanted. Blackburn were pushing for upwards of £20m as they are entitled to do, but I'm glad we stood our ground here and only paid what we felt was fair going rate.

If Obafemi is included then it does explain why we're looking at that Chelsea kid as well.

I think other clubs have been discouraged as he seems set on coming here, that's what I feel anyway.

I thought the same (never seen him live) and am surprised that I haven't seen more comparisons of a similar nature on here. It must be the scrawny beard!

26 minutes ago, TWar said:

The "there's still a way to go" in that worries me. He needs to agree personal terms.

I'd imagine that's already been bottomed out with the agent. Plus I don't think we're particularly poor payers, just look at our wages v turnover... monstrous. 

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I'd imagine that's already been bottomed out with the agent. Plus I don't think we're particularly poor payers, just look at our wages v turnover... monstrous. 

In another report it says personal terms should not be a problem

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Disapointed we didn t get anyone in europe as my hinch is that Armstrong is not physical enough for the PL.

The guy is small, is not very well built and i m not sure he has enough pace to compensate.

Think Broja will proove much more of a success that Armstrong.

Same height as Kevin Keegan and Steve Moran.

Accept Moran when he first arrived on the scene had some pace about him though.

Providing we don't intend using AA as a target man I think he'll be alright, two footed and seems to know where the goal is.

4 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

In another report it says personal terms should not be a problem

You'd think not, as i posted about he's supposedly on £14k a week at Blackburn. Adams on £42k with us, so he'll likely treble his money. It also seems with Ings, Lemina, Hoedt, Bertrand and Gunn we're saving over £300k a week in wages. Although only Walcott has been added to the list of new signings. Cant imagine any of them are on that much though. It'll come down if he wants us or Palace by the looks of it.

Edited by Turkish

Good news.

But the risk is Palace and co know what they need to match so can still come in.

Or, if he really doesn't want to come to us, he can just wait for the club he does want, because Blackburn will still sell later in the window.

Let's hope we've already sounded all that out.

Like everyone I would have loved Ings to stay and have signed a contract extension. But given he wanted away and only had 1 year left, to get Armstrong in as his replacement and still make about 10m profit seems to be pretty damn good business from the club. Can't fault that at all

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Same height as JWP and 2cm shorter than Che.

Interesting. Che is a bit of a beast and a very strong lad. I think many had doubts about JWP physicality (pre Ralph), but has improved his aggression. 

As many have said, he’s not going to be a target man and as long as he has a bit of pace, he’ll be fine. 

1 minute ago, sydney_saint said:

Like everyone I would have loved Ings to stay and have signed a contract extension. But given he wanted away and only had 1 year left, to get Armstrong in as his replacement and still make about 10m profit seems to be pretty damn good business from the club. Can't fault that at all

With a crystal ball I'd have liked a fit Ings to stay, but the suggested £100,000 per week on a four year contract taking him to 33 also gave some concern that we'd have ended up with another FF situation being lumbered with  hefty salary for a player not available for selection half the time. 

Hope this proves inspired business by the club.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

With a crystal ball I'd have liked a fit Ings to stay, but the suggested £100,000 per week on a four year contract taking him to 33 also gave some concern that we'd have ended up with another FF situation being lumbered with  hefty salary for a player not available for selection half the time. 

Hope this proves inspired business by the club.

Risk of a Championship striker having to make the step up vs the risk of an injury prone player managing to stay fit.

Could go either way.

Not that it makes a difference, we didn't have a choice over which risk to take.

Quite optimistic that Armstrong could turn out to be a gem for us though.

• Like 2

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

Risk of a Championship striker having to make the step up vs the risk of an injury prone player managing to stay fit.

Could go either way.

Not that it makes a difference, we didn't have a choice over which risk to take.

Quite optimistic that Armstrong could turn out to be a gem for us though.

True of course, there's a risk in any signing, and whether they'll bring their previous form and live up to potential.

Share your optimism over AA though.

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

Regarding the heightist comments on this thread, from what I've seen of Armstrong in the videos he reminds me somewhat of Kevin Phillips - a right pest around goal and a niggly player for oppo defenders, just what we need.   He is also a full inch taller than Phillips and will have a home video security system to monitor tradespeople whilst at work.  All of this is progressive. 

Just don’t let his missus go near any mobile phone shops in town

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Hes supposedly on £14k a week at Blackburn. What do you reckon we'll give him? Same source says Adams is on £42k a week. Interesting reading as it also says Redmond is on £85k a week and now Ings has gone our highest paid player. Obviously take these things with a pinch of salt.

Southampton 2020-21 Player Wages - Football League FC

The overall Player Wages in that table amounts to around £62m per annum

If Bertrand, McQueen, Ings, Lemina, Hoedt and Gunn's wages are removed this takes almost £18m off the wage bill

Have to add on say £50k for the new guy, £30k for the new Chelsea lad and perhaps similar for another up and coming player this adds around £6m to the wage bill.

in addition we could possibly see the likes of Valery, Obefami and Long joining Vokins out on loan so a bit of wages could be set off against their wages.

On the reverse side I guess players agents representing Bednerak, Salisu, KWP, JWP and Tella (in particular) will be looking to obtain increases.

Meantime the wages for Forster, McCarthy (and Lewis) and Shane Long seem far in excess of the value they provide on the field of play.

Finally no mention of Elonoyussi and the new French full back in the figures. I reckon between them they would add  between £5-6m to the wage bill.

3 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

The overall Player Wages in that table amounts to around £62m per annum

If Bertrand, McQueen, Ings, Lemina, Hoedt and Gunn's wages are removed this takes almost £18m off the wage bill

Have to add on say £50k for the new guy, £30k for the new Chelsea lad and perhaps similar for another up and coming player this adds around £6m to the wage bill.

in addition we could possibly see the likes of Valery, Obefami and Long joining Vokins out on loan so a bit of wages could be set off against their wages.

On the reverse side I guess players agents representing Bednerak, Salisu, KWP, JWP and Tella (in particular) will be looking to obtain increases.

Meantime the wages for Forster, McCarthy (and Lewis) and Shane Long seem far in excess of the value they provide on the field of play.

Finally no mention of Elonoyussi and the new French full back in the figures. I reckon between them they would add  between £5-6m to the wage bill.

Elyanoussi is on there, £60k a week. More money down the drain but with McCarthy, Forster and Long out of contract next summer that will be some more big wages gone 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Elyanoussi is on there, £60k a week. More money down the drain but with McCarthy, Forster and Long out of contract next summer that will be some more big wages gone 

I actually keep forgetting about this bloke. How’s he looked pre-season? Hopefully we can find someone willing to buy him rather than another loan on subsidised wages. 

Being ignorant about the player I went and had a look at a highlights reel. Some of the defending was a bit rubbish, though you can see that too in the top division, but what I liked was his two-footedness, decent power and placing on his shots but most of all his anticipation and ability to get in front of the defender as epitomised by a diving headed goal. Anybody any idea how good he is at bringing other people into play which is where Ings was good, although I can see Adams taking on more of that role?

A year ago, Dan Sheldon (him again) reported in the Echo that we had accepted an offer for Hojbjerg from Everton and that Pierre had been to their training ground and agreed terms.

So you can see that even when there are reports of things being done, it ain't done.

Fingers crossed: get it done Saints.

7 minutes ago, SKD said:

I actually keep forgetting about this bloke. How’s he looked pre-season? Hopefully we can find someone willing to buy him rather than another loan on subsidised wages. 

Better than before but slow and still only a back-up at best: I'd prefer a fit Smallbone.

2 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Being ignorant about the player I went and had a look at a highlights reel. Some of the defending was a bit rubbish, though you can see that too in the top division, but what I liked was his two-footedness, decent power and placing on his shots but most of all his anticipation and ability to get in front of the defender as epitomised by a diving headed goal. Anybody any idea how good he is at bringing other people into play which is where Ings was good, although I can see Adams taking on more of that role?

Speed of thought?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Adam Armstrong