Adam Armstrong

TWar

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is very quick.

Is Messi 'too small' for the Premier League?

Adam Armstrong isn't "very quick" according to the people I know who have seen him play (Blackburn fans).  He's got good movement and anticipation but not blessed with outright pace as such.  Personally I don't think that's too much of a problem - I wouldn't have said Ings had massive pace and neither did Kevin Phillips.  We don't really play a counter attacking game anyway so it's not going to be an asset that we're going to be overly reliant on.  He's got many attributes and is probably the closest we could get to Ings as a replacement but it's misleading to say he is very quick.

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

Assuming this goes through, Adams, Armstrong, and Adam Armstrong all in attack for us will be fun for the commentators next season.

They wont need it unless they can prise it in between 9-0 Leicester, Friday night, Manchester Utd etc etc

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

A year ago, Dan Sheldon (him again) reported in the Echo that we had accepted an offer for Hojbjerg from Everton and that Pierre had been to their training ground and agreed terms.

So you can see that even when there are reports of things being done, it ain't done.

Fingers crossed: get it done Saints.

It will be traumatic if fell through now. Confident myself based on fck all. Wish they could all be like Ings. Announced done rather than having to rely on Twitterati journos to scare us.

Let's hope it's Broja and Tella for the pace. Whoever we end up with, it's a far cry from the pace and effort of Charlie Austin not so very long ago..

Edit: Had to check.. 2 years and one day ago he left!

Edited by suewhistle
  • Like 1

Just now, JRM said:

Just seen a suggestion for the Kolo / yaya Toure song for Stuart and Adam Armstrong, call off the deal immediately 

You know it'll happen. Remember when they tried getting the Kelvin, Steven Davis one going? Lets hope he goes to Palace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SKD said:

I actually keep forgetting about this bloke. How’s he looked pre-season? Hopefully we can find someone willing to buy him rather than another loan on subsidised wages. 

I watched a bit of the Levante game and he wasn't as bad as i remembered, but still looked no where near a player that should be in a premier league squad. 

• Like 1

Just now, TWar said:

Armstrong got 7 goals and an assist in his last 3 games (including two hatricks) so hopefully coming in nice and confident on a good run.

He was a machine last year.

You'd turn on soccer Saturday and it would always be 'Blackburn have scored, Armstrong has the opener' - it was like the Lambert days when he scored for us every week.

I think he's a cracking player from what I've seen, the most Ings-like replacement we could probably get. 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

You'd turn on soccer Saturday and it would always be 'Blackburn have scored, Armstrong has the opener' - it was like the Lambert days when he scored for us every week.

I think he's a cracking player from what I've seen, the most Ings-like replacement we could probably get. 

Well if he comes with the fans on board he has a great chance. I have seen plenty similar ( not only atour club)who have arrived with excitement and been damp squibs.

What I do like re his character is that he went around and spoke to all the backroom staff from top to bottom. Good sign of him being a decent person

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yep, seems like a decent player, lets hope he settles in quickly 

35 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Yep, seems like a decent player, lets hope he settles in quickly 

It's brilliant news. Just what we need to raise our spirits before our first Premiership match. Onwards and Upwards now.

50 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

Will he just be another Che Adams? 

Che Adams scored 22 goals for Birmingham City in 2018-19 before joining us. 

There's no knowing how he'll adapt but his goal record last season is better than Adams had and he looks better on the obligatory YouTube video IMO

Lets hope we get it over the line and he doesn't stall and wait to see if anyone else will match our bid. Certainly suits Blackburn to push him our way as the best offer and fact they want Obafemi.

Like the fact he can finish well off both feet and he seems a natural goalscorer whereas none of our other forwards really are.

Glad to hear Mowbray say that he is suited to a pressing style and he also looks confident on penalties too.

In recent years there have been a few Championship top scoring players step up to the PL: Maupay, McBurnie, Watkins, Adams. It will obviously take him time to adjust but if he can get 10 PL goals then that is a good return.

Edited by Dusic

4 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Adam Armstrong isn't "very quick" according to the people I know who have seen him play (Blackburn fans).  

The FM Blackburn researcher seems to think he's very quick, he's got 18 for acceleration and 17 for pace (out of 20), but I suppose it's tough to really tell how quick people are if you don't see them in timed races or racing against someone you already know is quick.

Certainly from the videos his movement looks sharp and he seems to run in behind well or get across defenders quickly. 

Just now, Dusic said:

Lets hope we get it over the line and he doesn't stall and wait to see if anyone else will match our bid.

Like the fact he can finish well off both feet and he seems a natural goalscorer whereas none of our other forwards really are.

Glad to hear Mowbray say that he is suited to a pressing style and he also looks confident on penalties too.

In recent years there have been a few Championship top scoring players step up to the PL: Maupay, McBurnie, Watkins, Adams. It will obviously take him time to adjust but if he can get 10 PL goals then that is a good return.

I'm fairly sure it's done to be honest, don't see any reason to worry. I think he's held out for us in light of the other interest, which has put others off.

4 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

The FM Blackburn researcher seems to think he's very quick, he's got 18 for acceleration and 17 for pace (out of 20), but I suppose it's tough to really tell how quick people are if you don't see them in timed races or racing against someone you already know is quick.

Certainly from the videos his movement looks sharp and he seems to run in behind well or get across defenders quickly. 

Have to say he doesn't look that quick on the YouTube vids I watched. Very skillful though

I'm excited by this signing assuming it doesn't hit any last minute snags. Adam Armstrong looks a good fit for us and hopefully he'll make an early impact. A goal or two in his first few matches will get him up and running and boost his confidence. With him and Broja our options up front have improved after the loss of Ings.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Yeah, I'm only passing on what I've been told by a couple of Blackburn fans.  From what I can see from the youtube clips he's fast enough but not anything above what you'd expect from a striker and definitely not slow.  When people say very quick I always think of players like Mane and he's not in that category.  TBH I think movement and anticipation are more important anyway and it's not like we're signing him for that quick ball over the top.  We tend to push teams back so being able to find little pockets of space and anticipate any kind of mistake will be how he gets his goals.  Good thing is it looks like we're going to get to judge him for ourselves so it shouldn't be too long before we can make our own minds up.

He looks nippy and alert rather than flat out fast. As others have said, it's not like Ings was blessed with a lot of pace, so he looks quick enough (even a bit quicker) to replace what we've lost there.

Always promising to see a striker confident enough to hit with either foot. Looks to have decent control and touch, which will be important as Ings was pretty good in possession.

I'm cautiously optimistic - he strikes the ball well and seems to have a bit of the arrogance and belief in his finishing that Adams lacks.

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

He looks nippy and alert rather than flat out fast. As others have said, it's not like Ings was blessed with a lot of pace, so he looks quick enough (even a bit quicker) to replace what we've lost there.

Always promising to see a striker confident enough to hit with either foot. Looks to have decent control and touch, which will be important as Ings was pretty good in possession.

I'm cautiously optimistic - he strikes the ball well and seems to have a bit of the arrogance and belief in his finishing that Adams lacks.

He's actually not dissimilar to our other Armstrong - not fast but a strong runner. Also seems to take up wide positions a fair bit on the clips I saw, I can see him playing on the wing

3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

He's actually not dissimilar to our other Armstrong - not fast but a strong runner. Also seems to take up wide positions a fair bit on the clips I saw, I can see him playing on the wing

Just hope he isn't stuck out there and out of position, looks to me as if he is good at floating around and causing a bit of panic rather than too strict a role. 

I know when we sign someone everyone always looks at YouTube and I’ve done exactly that, however this lad gets in between the posts and scores a 1 on 1! Something which Che and Theo have struggled with at times! I’m excited to watch him.

• Like 1

It goes against other reports but Alan Nixon is reporting that it’s effectively £15M plus Obafemi and if Obafemi doesn’t decide to join Rovers then we have to pay more than £15M for Armstrong. Seems unlikely tbh as fee has been agreed but he’s normally pretty accurate I thought ??

Harry Kane isn't particularly fast but he's quick thinking and gets in the right place and doesn't miss many one to ones.

If all you needed is pace then Shane Long would have scored hundreds.

Let's just hope he is quick thinking enough to get in the right place at the right time, and hold his nerve when shooting.

Just watching that You Tube, he has deceptive feet that don’t tell your eyes what they think he’s actually about to do. 
Can see why we went for him, because that’s what Ings had. Actually being in the stadium real time some of Ings goals left you thinking how did he just do that……….as they say the proof of the pudding

• Like 1

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd give them Long as well, maybe shave 250k off the price.

Seriously though, I think Armstrong looks such a similar player to Ings when you watch him. An absolute pest.

Good age as well, and for less than £15m up front I say we've got exactly the deal we wanted. Blackburn were pushing for upwards of £20m as they are entitled to do, but I'm glad we stood our ground here and only paid what we felt was fair going rate.

If Obafemi is included then it does explain why we're looking at that Chelsea kid as well.

I think other clubs have been discouraged as he seems set on coming here, that's what I feel anyway.

Not seen much of him at all. Watched a few videos this afternoon and I can definitely see the similarity with Ings. That ability to take a man on, beat him and then bury it, often from a good distance.

1 hour ago, JackJersey said:

I know when we sign someone everyone always looks at YouTube and I’ve done exactly that, however this lad gets in between the posts and scores a 1 on 1! Something which Che and Theo have struggled with at times! I’m excited to watch him.

That finish in the thumbnail, think he does it twice in the video, might be fluke but he gets just enough lift to get it over the keepers feet and basically puts it in that gap between arm and feet when they keepers do that fairly common starfish approach to closing attackers down. Now again might be just luck but if not that is a very calm and composed little finish.  

• Like 1

Another Rovers fans view.  This one might be a little controversial but don’t shoot the messenger.

Armstrong's strength, in my opinion, is to make a yard, with his pace, and strike a fierce shot. He doesn't need to beat defenders and is confident having a strike.

I would hesitantly and very generally compare Adam Armstrong to a young Shane Long, mostly, in terms of their somewhat stocky frame and burst of pace. A potential difference is that Armstrong has got a long-range strike in him, as evidenced by a couple of goal of the season awards in his career, which, I'm not sure Long has, so much. I'm sure others might correct me on this comparison, as it is based on very limited knowledge of Shane Long.

The problem Armstrong may have is if he's asked to play as a wide forward, rather than the centre forward. He'll have to work a lot harder and won't have the luxury of waiting on the shoulder of defenders so much. I do wonder whether he'll struggle in that position given that Saints have Redmond, Djenepo, Walcott, Tella and, possibly, Diallo competing with him. Perhaps, Hassenhuttl does see him as centre forward.

Regardless, I think Armstrong's an intelligent player and could adapt, with the right manager.

PS. Saints memories - Marians Pahars' goal in our Roy Hodgson/Brian Kidd relegation season. From what I remember, it was a late goal that made relegation all but certain. Especially, painful as Pahars was one of my favourite non-Rovers players.

28 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Another Rovers fans view.  This one might be a little controversial but don’t shoot the messenger.

Armstrong's strength, in my opinion, is to make a yard, with his pace, and strike a fierce shot. He doesn't need to beat defenders and is confident having a strike.

I would hesitantly and very generally compare Adam Armstrong to a young Shane Long, mostly, in terms of their somewhat stocky frame and burst of pace. A potential difference is that Armstrong has got a long-range strike in him, as evidenced by a couple of goal of the season awards in his career, which, I'm not sure Long has, so much. I'm sure others might correct me on this comparison, as it is based on very limited knowledge of Shane Long.

The problem Armstrong may have is if he's asked to play as a wide forward, rather than the centre forward. He'll have to work a lot harder and won't have the luxury of waiting on the shoulder of defenders so much. I do wonder whether he'll struggle in that position given that Saints have Redmond, Djenepo, Walcott, Tella and, possibly, Diallo competing with him. Perhaps, Hassenhuttl does see him as centre forward.

Regardless, I think Armstrong's an intelligent player and could adapt, with the right manager.

PS. Saints memories - Marians Pahars' goal in our Roy Hodgson/Brian Kidd relegation season. From what I remember, it was a late goal that made relegation all but certain. Especially, painful as Pahars was one of my favourite non-Rovers players.

I think Armstrong will definitely play as one of the two up top.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Adam Armstrong