Adam Armstrong

TWar

Our old strike force when coming up the leagues was way too good for their respective levels. Lambert, obviously the ultimate capture. Too good for League One, beat Championship clubs to his signature and then turned out he was too good for the Championship and a Premier League/international player. All for £1.5m. Then Lee Barnard, one of the top League One strikers at Southend at the time that we signed him, 25 goals in 56 League One matches for us. Supported by David Connolly, who was far too good a goal scorer for League One, but fell down due to injuries and Mr. Offside, Papa Waigo, completing the striker depth, turning up in each JPT match.

Then moving up and bringing in a Japan international, Tadanari Lee, who contributed with a great goal against Derby, winning a dodgy penalty at Watford and assisting Lambert against Leeds in the Kelvin Davis match. Completed by Billy Sharp, who again was one of the top Championship scorers at the time of signing him. Nine league goals in 11 matches in the second half of the season allowed us to see off West Ham and go up in the automatics.

Good times, no shortage of goals.

• Like 5

I enjoyed the times in L1 and Championship and went to more games then than ever.  The crowds were smaller but seemed to have more fervour.  It may be my imagination but there seemed to be more variety of songs/chants then too, although I used to stand in the Northam then so perhaps just paid attention more.  

Losing 3-4 to Leeds sucked though, but generally we were on the up.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Manuel said:

I enjoyed the times in L1 and Championship and went to more games then than ever.  The crowds were smaller but seemed to have more fervour.  It may be my imagination but there seemed to be more variety of songs/chants then too, although I used to stand in the Northam then so perhaps just paid attention more.  

Losing 3-4 to Leeds sucked though, but generally we were on the up.

Christ, I still have nightmares of that Leeds game! Crazy.

But I think the 2009/2010 onwards years in L1, Champ etc were my best times supporting this club. Winning games, yep, but it was fun. The crowds were fun, I didn't turn around in my seat at St Mary's to random Spurs fans who'd sneaked in to the home end etc. It was authentic and real football.

Great times. I know everyone says this when they're struggling in the Prem, but they were genuinely some of the most fun times I've had as a football fan, home and away.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Christ, I still have nightmares of that Leeds game! Crazy.

But I think the 2009/2010 onwards years in L1, Champ etc were my best times supporting this club. Winning games, yep, but it was fun. The crowds were fun, I didn't turn around in my seat at St Mary's to random Spurs fans who'd sneaked in to the home end etc. It was authentic and real football.

Great times. I know everyone says this when they're struggling in the Prem, but they were genuinely some of the most fun times I've had as a football fan, home and away.

It was fun on the way up. Horrible on the way down.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

It's weird in retrospect how a relatively small amount of money enabled us to take the p*ss in both League 1 and the Championship by buying the best strikers in those respective leagues during the January window.

Makes me think of players like Lee Barnard. He was amazing in League 1, looked as though he could really push on. Did nothing at Championship level and then his career absolutely faded away. Rather then joining us as we achieved back to back promotions being the making of his career it seemed to utterly kill it.

Adam Armstrong

Our striker that dazzles

i see neon lights whenever you walk by

adam Armstrong 

our number 9 in red and white

scores under sun and moon makes Ings look shite

Adam Armstrong

Don’t get me wrong the pretenders 

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Adam Armstrong

Our striker that dazzles

i see neon lights whenever you walk by

adam Armstrong 

our number 9 in red and white

scores under sun and moon makes Ings look shite

Adam Armstrong

Don’t get me wrong the pretenders 

Most fans should be embarrassed to sing that line.... He has miles to go before he proves he is anywhere near as good 

On 18/08/2021 at 08:20, Colinjb said:

Makes me think of players like Lee Barnard. He was amazing in League 1, looked as though he could really push on. Did nothing at Championship level and then his career absolutely faded away. Rather then joining us as we achieved back to back promotions being the making of his career it seemed to utterly kill it.

Wasn't his career killed by off field issues? But while he was with us he had great energy and knew where the goal was-they all did in those two lower league years.

Today has shown the gulf in class between a PL striker and a top end Championship one. Ings scores both of those, very easy, chances. 

Feel like we’re gonna have another Adams. Getting into the right positions, but not quite got the ability to take them. 

***Edit as only have 3 posts and would like to expand on this**

Im not saying either Him or Adams played poor or aren’t good players for us, they did and are both useful. 

Im pointing out the difference between the levels and the impact that could have on us. We simply cannot afford to waste chances like that. 

RE ings, of course he missed chances and it’s impossible to say for certain, however if he was out there today, there’s a very, very strong chance we walk away with 3 points rather than 1. 

And no @OttawaSaint, I’m not Glasgow / Kenya / Hesinburg etc. And it’s not a poke for bites. 

Edited by Dman
  • Confused 4

17 minutes ago, Dman said:

Today has shown the gulf in class between a PL striker and a top end Championship one. Ings scores both of those, very easy, chances. 

Feel like we’re gonna have another Adams. Getting into the right positions, but not quite got the ability to take them. 

Hear he goes again albeit under a new name prick 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Dman said:

you're a muppet. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

You may be correct, but Ings did also miss chances similar to that.

I think AA has started really well, new club, new league and playing better than Ings did for the last 6 months.

• Like 1

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

You may be correct, but Ings did also miss chances similar to that.

I think AA has started really well, new club, new league and playing better than Ings did for the last 6 months.

Yeah exactly this. This notion that ings never had good chances saved is nonsense.

I'm very happy with him as replacement at the moment. Very good movement, interplay with Adams and a wonderful finish last week.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

He’s not wrong though. 

Hes not. Come back in 6 months time. 1 fucking shot. Jesus. Muppets. Annoying, but does not define him. If he'd buried it would he be defined as Ings class( as that was his comparison)? No, of course not.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dman said:

To be fair Ings has never missed a single one on one chance in his entire life.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Dman said:

Luckily we have them as they are the only ones who have scored this season. Hard on Armstrong today, chasing shadows most of the game and then get that chance.

I'm sorry, were people expecting him to immediately fill Ings' boots?

Ings is a big loss no doubt about it but Armstrong has been menacing in both games, he's already scored one good goal (so not another Adams), he's pacy, suits the system and linked up well with Adams again today. He's started well, give him a chance.

Adams has done well both games and I'm confident he'll step up this season as well, meaning we're no longer a one man team that fall apart with a single injury.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 3

Yeah I'm very positive about Armstrong. Makes good runs and makes great decisions, should have done better with the first chance today but it was a good read and save from a great 1v1 keeper. The headed chance was a poor miss too but we didn't buy this 5'6'' lad for his heading. 

I'm positive and optimistic about him. Superb at pressing too. 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Ings missed his fair share and got pelters on here. Adams has been excellent both games too. You’re embarrassing yourself, but you know that, you just want bites eh Glagow?

Edited by OttawaSaint

18 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Ings missed his fair share and got pelters on here. Adams has been excellent both games too. You’re embarrassing yourself, but you know that, you just want bites eh Glagow?

Yeah Adams was great today

If people expected Armstrong to replace Ings clinicalness then they are daft. Never going to happen.

What we will need this season is more goals from the likes of Moussa, Armstrong, Theo, Adams, JWP to contribute to the goals Armstrong gets. That's how I feel we'll fill the Ings void, not through Armstrong exclusively, but by getting more players in on the action.

Armstrong reminds me of a combination of Ings and Long - pest, always on the shoulder, always harrying down clearances etc. Let's not forget his flick in the lead up to the goal either, I'd put that down as an Armstrong assit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

If AA continues on 1 goal every other game he'll do for me.

Yeah, he could, and probably should have scored today.  He's getting the ball in all the right places which is half the job.  Looks promising.

I'm starting to think we've done a pretty good job this transfer window.

Just now, Manuel said:

Yeah, he could, and probably should have scored today.  He's getting the ball in all the right places which is half the job.  Looks promising.

I'm starting to think we've done a pretty good job this transfer window.

It wasn't a fantastic finish...but he did at least make the keeper work. He could have blazed it over, that would have been 10x worse and Long-eqse.

Like you said, he's getting into the right places and his movement is great. If he keeps getting into those positions he'll score more than he misses.

SKD is just looking to take the unpopular view just to get reactions.

• Like 1

He's also a lot quicker than Danny Ings from what I have seen, so will get more chances just because of that, Ings's movement off the ball had to be very good because he wasn't that fast. 

Also Ings scored 7 in 24 for us first season, it was hardly like he was the complete player or a top PL striker. 

And all strikers miss chances, Ings including, but for example in the Villa v Newcastle game, Wilson miss a golden chance in the first 5 minutes and I am sure if we had bought him as a replacement for Ings people would have pleased with that. Even the best strikers miss chances. 

6 hours ago, Dman said:

***Edit as only have 3 posts and would like to expand on this**

Im not saying either Him or Adams played poor or aren’t good players for us, they did and are both useful. 

Im pointing out the difference between the levels and the impact that could have on us. We simply cannot afford to waste chances like that. 

RE ings, of course he missed chances and it’s impossible to say for certain, however if he was out there today, there’s a very, very strong chance we walk away with 3 points rather than 1. 

And no @OttawaSaint, I’m not Glasgow / Kenya / Hesinburg etc. And it’s not a poke for bites. 

Oh dear 

Two games in and A Armstrong and Livra have definitely got something. Im looking forward to when these guys get up to speed because they look exciting prospects. To be fair I also thought Salisu had a good game after a dodgy start when our defence was in turmoil.

onwards and upwards.

On 22/08/2021 at 17:38, TWar said:

Yeah I'm very positive about Armstrong. Makes good runs and makes great decisions, should have done better with the first chance today but it was a good read and save from a great 1v1 keeper. The headed chance was a poor miss too but we didn't buy this 5'6'' lad for his heading. 

I'm positive and optimistic about him. Superb at pressing too. 

Eh? He was 3 yards out, you don’t have to be Alan shearer in the air to put that away. We brought him to score goals, which he should have done yesterday. 

Disagree with the first being a good read by the keeper. It was straight at him at a comfortable height. He almost rushed the effort and could have taken an extra touch and found the corner. That being said, I’ve no doubt he has the ability to score goals, he showed this last week. Is he consistent enough, at the moment I’m not sure. 

Agree with what others are saying in that he works his socks off and is brilliant off the ball, hence the Adams comparison. 

Personally speaking, from what I’ve seen so far, I think without a clinical proven premier league striker, we’ll struggle for goals this season. 

The ings comparison is a bit of a shit one as he didn’t want to play for us, so we didn’t really have a choice but to sell. We’re certainly weaker at the top end of the pitch now though as a result as generally seems to be a trend across the pitch for those we’ve sold and replaced. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

He basically has a goal and assist in his first two Premier League games, away to Everton and home to United. Not bad going for a Championship player. 

Yeah, against tough opposition too.  He fits right in.  Hope it continues.  

9 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Yeah, against tough opposition too.  He fits right in.  Hope it continues.  

Agreed, loved his flick for Adams’ goal, and also the run he made for the chance that he should’ve scored was perfect as was the weight of pass from Adams. Add that to their combination for the goal last week too, they seem to have struck up an instant connection. Let’s hope it continues!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Danbert said:

To be honest I need to apologise.  Couple of Blackburn fans I know said he was a bit one paced which seemed strange as he did look quick.  I guess they meant his "one pace" was fast.  They were probably pissed off that we were signing him.

Good player and a really good signing I feel.  Think we've just been a bit spoilt in the last few years with quite how good Ings' finishing is.  Unfortunately, Armstrong is less clinical, but he fits into the way we play, seems to already have a really good partnership with Adams, and will score 10-15 this season, assuming he stays fit.

Look forward to seeing his play develop, as he settles in further.

24 minutes ago, TWar said:

Fitting in great into our pressing game.

So both strikers, both centre-mids and both full backs. Notice the glaring hole there, shouldn't at least one of the No.10s be in there? 

16 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Good player and a really good signing I feel.  Think we've just been a bit spoilt in the last few years with quite how good Ings' finishing is.  Unfortunately, Armstrong is less clinical, but he fits into the way we play, seems to already have a really good partnership with Adams, and will score 10-15 this season, assuming he stays fit.

Look forward to seeing his play develop, as he settles in further.

Like I said on the other thread, he's not super clinical (but may improve) but as we can see his speed is another level above Ings and his work rate is also clearly excellent, if he is less injury prone as well then I can see those attributes contributing to compensate for the lack of super clinical finishing (and I still think based on his first goal and his championship goals he is a decent finisher, the shot against Utd, which was on his weak foot was really not that bad, it was a decent save from De Gea).

I just feel he is going to get more chances than Ings because he's quick and probably that, together with likely to be fitter more often, will end up with a decent goal tally at the end of the year.