January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Stephens is out of contract in the summer. 

Agreed, but we could sign a keeper now, to avoid losing him to rivals, and loan him back until the end of the season.

Didnt realise that. Be interesting to see if we offer an extension. You would imagine so but after the takeover its not so clear cut

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Stephens is out of contract in the summer. 

Agreed, but we could sign a keeper now, to avoid losing him to rivals, and loan him back until the end of the season.

Stephens was one of the 'never announced' extensions, I think - along with McCarthy - he is contracted until 2024. No idea why the club haven't announced it, not a scooby.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Stephens was one of the 'never announced' extensions, I think - along with McCarthy - he is contracted until 2024. No idea why the club haven't announced it, not a scooby.

yeah, bizarre. 

I thought the Simeu signing might have been to fill the void, with a season overlap to prepare him.

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Loan could be handy but we have 3 senior RBs and Stephens and JWP who can do a job there. Not sure I'd want a permanent RB if it means not spending on a keeper, 10, back up for Romeu, or better partner for Salisu

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

Loan could be handy but we have 3 senior RBs and Stephens and JWP who can do a job there. Not sure I'd want a permanent RB if it means not spending on a keeper, 10, back up for Romeu, or better partner for Salisu

Surely a LB loan would make more sense as KWP simply moves back to his usual position?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TWar said:

I don’t really see the point tbh, Small is chomping at the bit for a start apparently, he is behind Perraud… we then have KWP that gets his RB berth back.. Stephens can plsy their in an emergency

I mean… if we have the money and means then why not ? But Id still probably rather see a new No.10/Inside Forward and a proper CB to partner Salisu

On 08/01/2022 at 16:00, woodsaint1 said:

Not really. A CB is a CB.

We need a genuine no10, tadic type who plays between the lines. We've been crying out for a player like that since Tadic left. The majority of the players you've listed do not fit that mould. They're wingers or CMs who've been shoehorned into that no10 role, most unsuccessfully

A CB is a CB in the same way as our wingers/No.10s are wingers No.10s

Salisu is our best, Bednareks form has declined greatly over the last 18 months, Stephens cannot be relied upon consistently and Simeu is still unknown

Similar levels of mediocrity are to be had in our wingers/No.10s but S Armstrongs return is a big bonus, still agree we need another

6 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I don’t really see the point tbh, Small is chomping at the bit for a start apparently, he is behind Perraud… we then have KWP that gets his RB berth back.. Stephens can plsy their in an emergency

I mean… if we have the money and means then why not ? But Id still probably rather see a new No.10/Inside Forward and a proper CB to partner Salisu

I'd be stunned if we sign a CB this month. I would like to see a "better than what we have" CB, in the summer, and move on Stephens. Salisu, New, Bednarek, and Lyanco sounds like a decent quartet plus we have Simeu (potentially) coming through. 

3 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I'd be stunned if we sign a CB this month. I would like to see a "better than what we have" CB, in the summer, and move on Stephens. Salisu, New, Bednarek, and Lyanco sounds like a decent quartet plus we have Simeu (potentially) coming through. 

The squads pretty swollen.. which is a good thing considering covid and our issues last year, but it does cause a few problems, realistically we need a new GK, No.10, CB and possibly a DM but all of those positions have a number of players (mediocre in places) that probably need to be moved on… everyones crying out fir a No.10 but thats possibly our most well stocked position

We could probably wait until summer for all of them, but this year we’ve struggled to create enough chances and behind Salisu.. and in fact, even him, have made too many mistakes at the back

6 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

The squads pretty swollen.. which is a good thing considering covid and our issues last year, but it does cause a few problems, realistically we need a new GK, No.10, CB and possibly a DM but all of those positions have a number of players (mediocre in places) that probably need to be moved on… everyones crying out fir a No.10 but thats possibly our most well stocked position

We could probably wait until summer for all of them, but this year we’ve struggled to create enough chances and behind Salisu.. and in fact, even him, have made too many mistakes at the back

I agree that we need all of those positions. However one or two are more urgent  ie. GK, and DCM. But I suspect we will see a "No 10" first. 

14 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.jpeg.f02825d957a66c143d1a6cf2f4aaa56b.jpeg 

With Digne going to Villa I wouldn't be too opposed to Targett coming back home. LB is an area we need backup, he's definitely improved since his move there plus its always nice seeing local lads who are fans of the club in the squad

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tunit said:

With Digne going to Villa I wouldn't be too opposed to Targett coming back home. LB is an area we need backup, he's definitely improved since his move there plus its always nice seeing local lads who are fans of the club in the squad

really, thought we're ok there, Perraud, then Small, even Walker Peters, though less likely now Tino's out, think the right side is more worrying?

Just now, tunit said:

If Digne goes to Villa, Villa also need backup left backs... so Targett can be that for them. Saints have 5 first team full backs already, I don't see Targett coming back. Targett also cost Villa a fee rising to £17m, I doubt we'd spend that much on a backup.

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

In three years time Villa are just going to end up like Everton are now. Splurging left right and centre to maybe finish eighth once.

Fair play to them though, they’ve got a really decent squad and a good manager. 

If they can get a CB to replace Mings and a DM, I’d say they’ve got one of, arguably if not, the strongest 11’s outside of the traditional top 6. 

Based on their recruitment and their manager; I actually think they’ll be more of a West Ham / Leicester in a year or 2 than Everton. But I guess time will tell. 

I actually think Gerrard will go right to the top (most probably Liverpool) of management. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Fair play to them though, they’ve got a really decent squad and a good manager. 

If they can get a CB to replace Mings and a DM, I’d say they’ve got one of, arguably if not, the strongest 11’s outside of the traditional top 6. 

Based on their recruitment and their manager; I actually think they’ll be more of a West Ham / Leicester in a year or 2 than Everton. But I guess time will tell. 

I actually think Gerrard will go right to the top (most probably Liverpool) of management. 

Disagree, I think he is another Lampard. A good player doesn’t necessarily make a good manager. But its a game of opinions. Time will tell.

Digne is a banging signing for Villa if they pull it off. Would be taking probably their worst player and replacing him with someone who would become their best player, or atleast top 2.

If Digne and Coutinho get firing then they probably bump Villa up a level from midtable with us to top half/europe challenger.

Best starting 11 outside the strongest top 6 is a pretty poor take, very few of their players get into West Ham or Leicester when both are fully fit and they could only dream of having players the quality of Rice, Tielemans, Vardy, Antonio, etc. in their side.

Definitely a big step forward though this window. First half of the season our squad was stronger than Villas but the signing of Digne and Coutinho would change that.

17 minutes ago, TWar said:

Digne is a banging signing for Villa if they pull it off. Would be taking probably their worst player and replacing him with someone who would become their best player, or atleast top 2.

If Digne and Coutinho get firing then they probably bump Villa up a level from midtable with us to top half/europe challenger.

Best starting 11 outside the strongest top 6 is a pretty poor take, very few of their players get into West Ham or Leicester when both are fully fit and they could only dream of having players the quality of Rice, Tielemans, Vardy, Antonio, etc. in their side.

Definitely a big step forward though this window. First half of the season our squad was stronger than Villas but the signing of Digne and Coutinho would change that.

In your opinion, do you think it would be an insane bit of business if they pull it off?

17 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

In your opinion, do you think it would be an insane bit of business if they pull it off?

On the scale of Tino for £5m to Carrillo for £20m, I'd say its significantly closer to the insane value of Tino. Maybe not quite as insane as Tino who is 10 years younger and a fifth of the price but definitely comparable to some of our better deals, like Salisu for £11m.

29 minutes ago, TWar said:

Still standing by this nonsense then. I think 3 maybe 4 of our regular starting 11 get into their side (not including Broja who isn’t there just yet, but obviously will be). 

On that note, How about Armstrong having a ‘higher ceiling’ than Broja…? Now that’s a pretty poor take. 

Other than Rice and Teilmans, who are obviously the stand outs for Leicester and West Ham (as is Couthino for Villa), there isn’t a huge amount between the sides imo, should they sign Digne, a DM like bissouma and a CB to replace mings. 

Im fairly certain you also claimed Gerrard would be a flop, so to be honest; I get the impression you just don’t like Villa. I don’t know if that’s because they took our best player, that you’re jealous or just daft. Maybe all 3. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TWar said:

Would be a good signing for Villa, but if they persist with Mings and Konsa at CB they will continue to concede goals. Those two arent good enough for any top 8 ambitions that Villa may have

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Still standing by this nonsense then. I think 3 maybe 4 of our regular starting 11 get into their side (not including Broja who isn’t there just yet, but obviously will be). 

On that note, How about Armstrong having a ‘higher ceiling’ than Broja…? Now that’s a pretty poor take. 

Other than Rice and Teilmans, who are obviously the stand outs for Leicester and West Ham (as is Couthino for Villa), there isn’t a huge amount between the sides imo, should they sign Digne, a DM like bissouma and a CB to replace mings. 

Im fairly certain you also claimed Gerrard would be a flop, so to be honest; I get the impression you just don’t like Villa. I don’t know if that’s because they took our best player, that you’re jealous or just daft. Maybe all 3. 

You also think Pompey are better off than us and Ralph is a worse manager than the guy in charge of San Marino, so what you think doesn't have much value.

Salisu, Tino, KWP, Romeu, JWP would all walk into that team, Redmond has outperformed Buendia too, Watkins is wildly overrated and on current form I'd have Broja.

If you think Coutinho is a "stand out" for Villa on the level of Rice or Tielemans you need your head examining, or you havent followed football for the last three years where Coutinho has been basically a joke.

They also didn't take our best player, our best player is JWP, was last season and still is now.

5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Would be a good signing for Villa, but if they persist with Mings and Konsa at CB they will continue to concede goals. Those two arent good enough for any top 8 ambitions that Villa may have

Yeah I mean, their three midfielders wouldn't start for most teams in the league and neither would Mings. Buendia and Watkins are way below Bowen and Antonio, DCL and Richarlison, Vardy and Maddison, Jimenez and Neto.

They still have a pretty mid table team but Digne is class, so it is definitely a step in the right direction as Targett is dogshite.

33 minutes ago, TWar said:

I still think it is a huge risk to be paying a combined c. £60m for practically two 29 year olds in Digne and Coutinho - no resale value and reliant on an an untested manager in Gerrard.

If it goes well for them, then it might get them a season or two in Europa League... 

I don't think they can sustain that sort of spending every year either

6 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I still think it is a huge risk to be paying a combined c. £60m for practically two 29 year olds in Digne and Coutinho - no resale value and reliant on an an untested manager in Gerrard.

If it goes well for them, then it might get them a season or two in Europa League... 

I don't think they can sustain that sort of spending every year either

They aren't building sustainably admittedly, but short term Digne is an excellent buy. Third most chances created from defence last season and the season before, only bested by Trent and Robertson IIRC.

His crossing will suffer from the fact Watkins isn't half the player DCL is in the air (or generally) but Digne is still a brilliant player.

Edited by TWar

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

You also think Pompey are better off than us and Ralph is a worse manager than the guy in charge of San Marino, so what you think doesn't have much value.

Salisu, Tino, KWP, Romeu, JWP would all walk into that team, Redmond has outperformed Buendia too, Watkins is wildly overrated and on current form I'd have Broja.

If you think Coutinho is a "stand out" for Villa on the level of Rice or Tielemans you need your head examining, or you havent followed football for the last three years where Coutinho has been basically a joke.

They also didn't take our best player, our best player is JWP, was last season and still is now.

Tino and KWP play in the same position and 99% of managers wouldn’t play them both, it’d be 1 or the other (but I do agree both are better than Cash).. which means errrr 3 maybe 4 players, like I said. Cheers for confirming. 

Watkins maybe overrated, in your opinion (I disagree but so, so), Ings is significantly better than any of our strikers at the moment, anyway. 

And Couthino made 23 appearances for Munich last season…. Yeah a complete ‘joke’ lol

Edited by Dman

15 minutes ago, Dman said:

Tino and KWP play in the same position and 99% of managers wouldn’t play them both, it’d be 1 or the other (but I do agree both are better than Cash).. which means errrr 3 maybe 4 players, like I said. Cheers for confirming. 

Watkins maybe overrated, in your opinion (I disagree but so, so), Ings is significantly better than any of our strikers at the moment, anyway. 

And Couthino made 23 appearances for Munich last season…. Yeah a complete ‘joke’ lol

KWP is a better LB than Targett, Tino is a better RB than cash, both start. Ings is crocked. Coutinho had 23 starts at bayern and his next move was villa, what does that tell you?

Edited by TWar

11 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Coutinho not settling at those clubs doesn't make him a bad signing. He's still a terrific player at a good age under the right manager. I don't know why so many fans think form can't be recaptured or that some players are just better at different clubs. Coutinho's bad years have still brought a lot of trophies.

I'm not saying Coutinho won't be a good signing, he is cheap and could improve, I actually called it very shrew business in this thread before. He has, however, been universally criticised everywhere he has been since Liverpool and has been super super poor. Therefore comparing him to Rice and Tielemans is very stupid, as you'd expect from someone who rates Pompey over us

Edited by TWar

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’ve been impressed with the start Steve G has made at Villa. 

Has your man Eddie impressed you too? Doing another bloody good job getting relegated.

Edited by TWar
  • Haha 2