January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

8 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

Would that not give us 3 guys called Mo?

They said we wanted to continue in our transfer strategy but with more opportunities - now we're stockpiling Mohammeds as well as Adams.

37 minutes ago, AngusHyd said:

I wonder if Donny Van De Beek from United could be an option. 24 years old, not used by United but in the games he has played looks like a decent player. Also was performing to a good standard at Ajax before the move which has put his career on pause. Probably could pick him up cheap as well. 

Van De Beek would be quality, exactly the sort of player we need a good passer who makes runs into the box from midfield and scores goals. BUT I doubt he'd come to us, probably still has enough in the bank to attract some bigger clubs playing champs league and I doubt he'd be cheap, Man Utd paid £40 million for him and he is on over £100k a week I think.

He'll end up going on a loan to buy to someone like Inter I reckon.

Also seriously doubt we are going to sign Erikson, just too many red flags. Wouldn't be surprised if he joins a Danish club on a temporary contract to get game time and get back to playing for Denmark, he's said he wants to play in the 2022 World Cup, could see him doing that and retiring. 

The Man City youngsters look more likely ones, someone who's struggling to see a pathway into a top team anytime soon.

Signing Broja would be great but I doubt we'd do it in Jan, seems more like a summer move. Though hopefully have more room to sign him now financially than we did before.

If do make a Jan signing I reckon it's someone who wants to play more football and maybe has an eye on doing that to get into world cup squads because they basically have two half seasons to do that so might want to move now rather than in the summer. 

25 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Van De Beek would be quality, exactly the sort of player we need a good passer who makes runs into the box from midfield and scores goals. BUT I doubt he'd come to us, probably still has enough in the bank to attract some bigger clubs playing champs league and I doubt he'd be cheap, Man Utd paid £40 million for him and he is on over £100k a week I think.

He'll end up going on a loan to buy to someone like Inter I reckon.

Also seriously doubt we are going to sign Erikson, just too many red flags. Wouldn't be surprised if he joins a Danish club on a temporary contract to get game time and get back to playing for Denmark, he's said he wants to play in the 2022 World Cup, could see him doing that and retiring. 

The Man City youngsters look more likely ones, someone who's struggling to see a pathway into a top team anytime soon.

Signing Broja would be great but I doubt we'd do it in Jan, seems more like a summer move. Though hopefully have more room to sign him now financially than we did before.

If do make a Jan signing I reckon it's someone who wants to play more football and maybe has an eye on doing that to get into world cup squads because they basically have two half seasons to do that so might want to move now rather than in the summer. 

If we do (and why wouldnt we!!) want to sign Broja on a permanent it makes complete sense to at least attempt to do it this month because the longer we leave the more interest there is likely to be and more cash and spending clubs there is going to be in the summer. 

6 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I'd say service to the strikers is more of an issue, we seem to have to score out of nothing. Someone in the mould of Jared Bowen would make a huge difference to us, Redmond and Djneppo just don't cut it for me at this level.

I agree with the supply issue - Broja, Armstrong, Adams and Tella should be enough for goals - we lack good AMs, especially without a fit SArmstrong. I think Redmond still has something to offer but the rest are meh. New AM please.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Okay, serious question.

If Toon put 50 big ones on the table for James right now.

Yes or No?

Last week - yes. Would help us improve the squad, and besides, we haven't got a pot to piss in.

Now - no. I think we found a pot.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

IIRC we signed Bertrand on a permanent deal from Chelsea in the Jan window a few years ago, which none of us expected and thought was too good to be true.

Stranger things have happened.

14 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

IIRC we signed Bertrand on a permanent deal from Chelsea in the Jan window a few years ago, which none of us expected and thought was too good to be true.

Stranger things have happened.

Bertrand's stock wasn't high when he came to us. Think most were pleasantly surprised by his loan performances and were glad to get him on a permanent deal, but his profile wasn't anything like as high as either of our Chelsea teenagers has been.

32 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Last week - yes. Would help us improve the squad, and besides, we haven't got a pot to piss in.

Now - no. I think we found a pot.

I’m not sure where this delusion of people has come from, to be honest. 

Everything I’ve seen has suggested that we’ll maintain a ‘sustainable’ business plan. As part of that, that’ll include selling players. Hopefully this new chap will provide some much needed investment to allow us to have some cash in hand to shop in the next bracket up (20-30m), however I doubt we will (i think we’ll continue to see cheap young potential), but even so we’ll continue to sell to fund those transfers. 

If someone offers £50m for JWP we’re taking it, without a doubt. 

Reports are that this geezer is only worth 1B, which in the grand scheme of things isn’t a significant amount of money to football club owners in the premier league.

Some of the names spouted out on here since the take over (Ramsey, Couthino) are laughable.  

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Bertrand's stock wasn't high when he came to us. Think most were pleasantly surprised by his loan performances and were glad to get him on a permanent deal, but his profile wasn't anything like as high as either of our Chelsea teenagers has been.

Champions league winning Bertrand’s profile wasn’t as big as a kid that never played a senior game of football, or a guy on loan at Vitesse?

Re Broja, I really can’t see us signing him on a permanent. He signed a new 5 year contract with Chelsea just before coming to us, they obviously rate him highly and with their current striker situation he probably wouldn’t be far off the first team currently. I think our best chance of keeping him would be if they bring in another new striker pushing Armando further down the pecking order. Our best hope may be to get him on another seasons loan in the summer then go from there.

I think the 2 lads from City seem more likely, both highly rated but unlikely to be regular first team fixtures any time soon. Give it a couple seasons we could have one of the youngest teams in the league with some of the hottest young property, exciting times!! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Okay, serious question.

If Toon put 50 big ones on the table for James right now.

Yes or No?

It would be Ironic as his recent goals and assists have all but secured our premier league survival, who knows if the takeover would have happened had we been in a more precarious position? 

No way we lose JWP for £50m. Before the take over I would have said no, now I say it would be lunacy.

We are building a team around Ralphs model and vision, JWP is our captain and cornerstone. To get rid of him would be like tearing up the foundations of the house before it is built. It would take obscene money to sell him.

Also signings like Tino asked specifically about playing with him when signed. Having a genuine top 6 quality player is massive to our appeal. We can't lose him.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’m not sure where this delusion of people has come from, to be honest. 

Everything I’ve seen has suggested that we’ll maintain a ‘sustainable’ business plan. As part of that, that’ll include selling players. Hopefully this new chap will provide some much needed investment to allow us to have some cash in hand to shop in the next bracket up (20-30m), however I doubt we will (i think we’ll continue to see cheap young potential), but even so we’ll continue to sell to fund those transfers. 

If someone offers £50m for JWP we’re taking it, without a doubt. 

Reports are that this geezer is only worth 1B, which in the grand scheme of things isn’t a significant amount of money to football club owners in the premier league.

Some of the names spouted out on here since the take over (Ramsey, Couthino) are laughable.  

The guys net worth has nothing to do with our ability to spend. That's the point of FFP. Have a look at the table of owners net worth and you will see quickly that isn't a guarantee of spending power at all.

10 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Re Broja, I really can’t see us signing him on a permanent. He signed a new 5 year contract with Chelsea just before coming to us, they obviously rate him highly and with their current striker situation he probably wouldn’t be far off the first team currently. I think our best chance of keeping him would be if they bring in another new striker pushing Armando further down the pecking order. Our best hope may be to get him on another seasons loan in the summer then go from there.

I think the 2 lads from City seem more likely, both highly rated but unlikely to be regular first team fixtures any time soon. Give it a couple seasons we could have one of the youngest teams in the league with some of the hottest young property, exciting times!! 

the five year deal ensures they get a decent fee. It might not mean they actually intend to keep him. As you say, if they sign someone big next summer, then he slides back down the pecking order. It would unusual for Chelsea not to spend big on a striker in favour of allowing a kid to work his way into the first team. Only the transfer ban allowed Abraham a chance. Before then they spent money every summer.

The more goals he scores for us, the less chance we can afford him/attract him to sign. We kind of need him to do well, but not too well!

The Ings money allowed us to spend a few quid in the summer, but without that income, will there be any `proper' money to spend next summer? I'm not so sure - unless we fly up the league and earn a lot more in prize money - although perhaps staggered payments for Ings (should that exist) might help a bit.

The success of Livramento and Broja might tempt us to go that route a lot more, and signing quality youngsters is a great move for a club of our size. 

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

Seems unlikely, probably the position we’re strongest in. 

Very. In fact it is never happening. So who has linked us to him and why? Its either the agent working for the player, or the agent working for Blackburn, who will want to attract a fee rather lose him for nothing. Not sure the journalist, merely knowing we have signed a player from Blackburn recently, would create the link out of thin air. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Very. In fact it is never happening. So who has linked us to him and why? Its either the agent working for the player, or the agent working for Blackburn, who will want to attract a fee rather lose him for nothing. Not sure the journalist, merely knowing we have signed a player from Blackburn recently, would create the link out of thin air. 

smokescreen for Brereton Díaz? I do hope so.

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I just want an inside forward who can score goals 

what's the equivalent modern day position called for inside forward?

If its the skill players behind the striker, then I agree. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

what's the equivalent modern day position called for inside forward?

If its the skill players behind the striker, then I agree. 

In our system, we play with 2 of them, "tens".  We get barely any goals from them, Redmond, Armstrong, Djenepo, Theo, Tella, Elyounoussi

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Champions league winning Bertrand’s profile wasn’t as big as a kid that never played a senior game of football, or a guy on loan at Vitesse?

I mean in terms of at this stage in their Saints careers. No one was writing articles about Bertrand during the first few months of his loan with us. He was a (failed) Villa loanee, not a future star.

Edited by verlaine1979

9 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

I mean in terms of at this stage in their Saints careers. No one was writing articles about Bertrand during the first few months of his loan with us. He was a (failed) Villa loanee, not a future star.

I can remember being seriously underwhelmed when Bertrand came in to replace Shaw. He was horrific in a Villa team relegated that season. But his performances were brilliant under Koeman. Pretty much all those signings came off that year.

6 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Would be my choice and his contract expires this summer so a good deal to be had

Blackburn have an option to extend his contract by another year, so he ain't walking for free this summer - hence the £30m price tags being mentioned.

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

Blackburn have an option to extend his contract by another year, so he ain't walking for free this summer - hence the £30m price tags being mentioned.

Brighton also sniffing i think

4 hours ago, TWar said:

No way we lose JWP for £50m. Before the take over I would have said no, now I say it would be lunacy.

We are building a team around Ralphs model and vision, JWP is our captain and cornerstone. To get rid of him would be like tearing up the foundations of the house before it is built. It would take obscene money to sell him.

Also signings like Tino asked specifically about playing with him when signed. Having a genuine top 6 quality player is massive to our appeal. We can't lose him.

I think we would probably sell him for around that amount if someone like City, Liverpool or Chelsea went for him. I feel he'd ask to leave if that was the case. We might push them for more but I think if he genuinely wanted to leave then it would be less than entertaining an offer from someone like Newcastle or Villa or someone middling like that. 

2 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I think we would probably sell him for around that amount if someone like City, Liverpool or Chelsea went for him. I feel he'd ask to leave if that was the case. We might push them for more but I think if he genuinely wanted to leave then it would be less than entertaining an offer from someone like Newcastle or Villa or someone middling like that. 

Unless he decides to kick up a VvD type stink over leaving (which I actually would be genuinely shocked by), with 4 1/2 years left on his contract I think that the price we'd be willing to sell at is a lot higher than what anyone would be willing to offer.