January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Bale is incoming...

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2022/01/06/transfer-news-southampton-consider-re-signing-gareth-bale/

Wonder if he's willing to drop his £500,000 per week Real Madrid salary?

Well, we did re-sign Theo Walcott..................................

Edited by alehouseboys
Just for clarity, I was taking the piss

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

A useful list i found on top 60 under 21's which maybe a useful reference of younger talent

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/oct/07/next-generation-2021-60-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

That’s a great list.

That reminded me, closer to home, The Secret Scout posted this a few months ago, re: Domestic talents who are (or were at the time of writing) out of contract this summer:

image.png.75a2c81a230e58c8f43a78e094edaa22.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

That’s a great list.

That reminded me, closer to home, The Secret Scout posted this a few months ago, re: Domestic talents who are (or were at the time of writing) out of contract this summer:

nice not seen much of them at all except that Carvalho who i liked but I am interested to see if we can now do some business this month

12 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I think we would probably sell him for around that amount if someone like City, Liverpool or Chelsea went for him. I feel he'd ask to leave if that was the case. We might push them for more but I think if he genuinely wanted to leave then it would be less than entertaining an offer from someone like Newcastle or Villa or someone middling like that. 

In his interview last season, he stated that his dream was for his kids to seem him lift a trophy with Southampton.

Now... I mean make of that what you will 😅🤣

22 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Just seen a hilarious rumour linking us with Bale. Honestly, one measly takeover and the rumour mill really does go crazy 🤣

It would certainly be a 'statement'...

Get the Ox back too?

22 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

In his interview last season, he stated that his dream was for his kids to seem him lift a trophy with Southampton.

And I hope that is true, I just think if someone like Pepe came knocking we'd be seriously tested, but I doubt that is going to happen. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

And I hope that is true, I just think if someone like Pepe came knocking we'd be seriously tested, but I doubt that is going to happen. 

If Pepe Tuchel, or Klopp want him, then I would expect him to go. He has been a great servant but he has his career to think of. By signing that contract he will bring in mega money and I for one would wish him well.

I'd probably add Arsenal to that list but hopefully he'll avoid Utd, Spurs or Newcastle.

If he leaves it should be for guaranteed CL football and honours.

5 minutes ago, macca155 said:

If Pepe Tuchel, or Klopp want him, then I would expect him to go. He has been a great servant but he has his career to think of. By signing that contract he will bring in mega money and I for one would wish him well.

I'd probably add Arsenal to that list but hopefully he'll avoid Utd, Spurs or Newcastle.

If he leaves it should be for guaranteed CL football and honours.

Why would he avoid Utd ?

They’re in turmoil right now but they’re still arguably the biggest club in the world commercially, and have a huge pull

I'd like us to go for Fabio Carvalho and Liam Delap; purely because they've turned into beasts on my FIFA career 😂

On a side note Gareth Bale would not return, and also why would you want him to? He ahs more of a reputation as a golfer and a bench-warmer the past few years. Cristiano Ronaldo MKII. 🙄

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, screechio said:

I can remember being seriously underwhelmed when Bertrand came in to replace Shaw. He was horrific in a Villa team relegated that season. But his performances were brilliant under Koeman. Pretty much all those signings came off that year.

Bertrand did little to impress  any of the other 4  or 5 clubs who loaned him before he finally signed with Saints. 

I think his record with us justifies itself  and we must admit that he was good value for the money we eventually paid out. 

Perhaps more a question of us buying... a round peg to fit a round hole. 

After Shaw moved to Man U.  he had a nightmare of a start for the first 2 seasons, and only looks better now because he has survived all the managerial

changes they've had since then.  He was good with Saints because he was playing with a successful side, alongside experienced professionals (e.g. Fonte)

who allowed him the space to go forward in a creative wing-back role.    Man. Utd expected him to be a left-back from Day 1 in a side of top internationals. 

I did some YouTube scouting last night. Liam Delap looks a proper centre forward, pretty big but quick with it and good shot on him. Scores loads of goals but most of the clips show him at academy level when physically he can already bully defenders.

The Macatee kid is a far more technical player, very similar to Foden in style but not as lightweight. Again hard to judge because it’s mostly academy level and he’s better than that.

Mohamed-Ali Cho I wasn’t as impressed with but still looks a player. He’s quick and can turn defenders well if they get too tight. Doesn’t seem to have too many tricks as such but beats players with his pace. Unlike the other two he’s playing first team football and at 17 so understandable that he didn’t stand out as much.

All three were impressive and if that’s what we’re looking at then it’s certainly the right direction. Would be delighted with any of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I'd like us to go for Fabio Carvalho and Liam Delap; purely because they've turned into beasts on my FIFA career 😂

On a side note Gareth Bale would not return, and also why would you want him to? He ahs more of a reputation as a golfer and a bench-warmer the past few years. Cristiano Ronaldo MKII. 🙄

You wouldn't want Ronaldo either?

42 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I did some YouTube scouting last night. Liam Delap looks a proper centre forward, pretty big but quick with it and good shot on him. Scores loads of goals but most of the clips show him at academy level when physically he can already bully defenders.

The Macatee kid is a far more technical player, very similar to Foden in style but not as lightweight. Again hard to judge because it’s mostly academy level and he’s better than that.

Mohamed-Ali Cho I wasn’t as impressed with but still looks a player. He’s quick and can turn defenders well if they get too tight. Doesn’t seem to have too many tricks as such but beats players with his pace. Unlike the other two he’s playing first team football and at 17 so understandable that he didn’t stand out as much.

All three were impressive and if that’s what we’re looking at then it’s certainly the right direction. Would be delighted with any of them. 

I watched the Cho videos and he seems to play up front, but doesn't look like a goalscorer, more of speedy wide player. He is completely one footed, which is not uncommon, but noticeable. As you say, he has a nice turn when defenders get too tight and was quick, but most of the time his trick was to kick the ball to one side of the defender, and go round the other and often had to foul the defender to regain possession. None of the refs seemed to pull him up on that, for some reason. No shortage of confidence mind. Not sure he would improve us right now. I'd say Tella was a better player, but for a 17 year old he was impressive. Bringing in 17/18 year old's is needed to bolster our lacklustre youth development. How much you pay for some like Cho is the real challenge. 

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

That’s a great list.

Lewis Dobbin is the one that sticks out from that list to me. He's good mates with my nephew and I've watched a lot of him in the Everton U23s. Huge potential there.

The consensus on the GOT forum at the moment is that the senior players aren't earning their wages so surely there's nothing to lose by trying out the youngsters instead, and they would have a total meltdown if we poached another of their hot academy prospects just as he's staking a claim for a first team place. So it would be worth us putting in a cheeky bid just for that really 😂

Anyone know how Omar Richards is doing at Bayer Munich? I was disappointed we didn't/couldn't sign him (no brainer for him to sign for Bayern) as I thought he'd be ideal replacement for Bertrand. Wondered if he was getting games, on the bench or rotting in their reserves. If things were not going well, perhaps we could bring him home, so to speak, in the summer to bolster that left back position. I guess if Small works out there wont be a need.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Anyone know how Omar Richards is doing at Bayer Munich? I was disappointed we didn't/couldn't sign him (no brainer for him to sign for Bayern) as I thought he'd be ideal replacement for Bertrand. Wondered if he was getting games, on the bench or rotting in their reserves. If things were not going well, perhaps we could bring him home, so to speak, in the summer to bolster that left back position. I guess if Small works out there wont be a need.

Hardly played but he's got Alphonso Davies and Lucas Hernandez ahead of him in the pecking order so it's not surprising. 

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

I watched the Cho videos and he seems to play up front, but doesn't look like a goalscorer, more of speedy wide player. He is completely one footed, which is not uncommon, but noticeable. As you say, he has a nice turn when defenders get too tight and was quick, but most of the time his trick was to kick the ball to one side of the defender, and go round the other and often had to foul the defender to regain possession. None of the refs seemed to pull him up on that, for some reason. No shortage of confidence mind. Not sure he would improve us right now. I'd say Tella was a better player, but for a 17 year old he was impressive. Bringing in 17/18 year old's is needed to bolster our lacklustre youth development. How much you pay for some like Cho is the real challenge. 

Cho seems to be incredibly similar to Tella from the very little I've seen of him online, just 5 years younger.

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Was on bench for there last game and came on for last 10 minutes. Has made 6 appearances but all from the bench 

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

The hilarious rumour apparently is linked to comments allegedly made by Dragan (the TV Mogul not the chess player) in El Nacional as being his first goal for Southampton. Point being it is not just some rumour made up by some spotty Team Talk journalist kid. Maybe Dragan plays golf with Bale. 

Living as we do up here in North Shropshire there are a number of Baggies around. According to one of them who is a close friend the gossip around the Hawthorne's is that Sam Johnson, an England keeper,  is on his way to Saints Marys. Recently Red Carded he could fit into our squad perfectly! I hope its not just wishful thinking.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Saint Charminster said:

Was on bench for there last game and came on for last 10 minutes. Has made 6 appearances but all from the bench 

I guess in your first season, moving from Reading to Bayern Munich, that isn't unexpected/terrible. Worth our scouts keeping an eye on, I'd say.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Why would he avoid Utd ?

They’re in turmoil right now but they’re still arguably the biggest club in the world commercially, and have a huge pull

Oh that's all true, I just think I'd want him to go somewhere less toxic. Plus they really don't need him at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hasper57saint said:

Living as we do up here in North Shropshire there are a number of Baggies around. According to one of them who is a close friend the gossip around the Hawthorne's is that Sam Johnson, an England keeper,  is on his way to Saints Marys. Recently Red Carded he could fit into our squad perfectly! I hope its not just wishful thinking.

That rumour has been doing the rounds down here as well, maybe some truth in it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

The hilarious rumour apparently is linked to comments allegedly made by Dragan (the TV Mogul not the chess player) in El Nacional as being his first goal for Southampton. Point being it is not just some rumour made up by some spotty Team Talk journalist kid. Maybe Dragan plays golf with Bale. 

I assume you meant to quote my other post about the bale rumours (not this one about JWP's quotes) 😅🤔

We should have £15m or so kicking around from profit in the summer - we sold Ings, Vestergaard, Gunn, Lemina and Obafemi for around £55m and bought Armstrong, Perraud, Lyanco and Livramento for around £40m. Assuming we were being told the truth when told the £70m loan was for cashflow purposes, then we've got the capital to pick up a good deal or two without the new regime having to put their hands in their pockets.

I'm glad Ralph has acknowledged we need a 10. A first choice one too hopefully. I also think we need a CM long term (DM) but I'd take a 10 this window. I think GK will wait until the summer. 

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Adrian Kajumba at the Daily Mail reported we wanted a GK & #10 in the summer and may bring that forward to January if we can.

46 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Adrian Kajumba at the Daily Mail reported we wanted a GK & #10 in the summer and may bring that forward to January if we can.

I forgot he was in the club meetings regarding transfer policy. 👀🤣

Joking aside a blind person could tell you that is a priority  as soon as, that and a CB.

We can’t afford to stand still whilst our rivals also invest in new players this window.

2 hours ago, igsey said:

We should have £15m or so kicking around from profit in the summer - we sold Ings, Vestergaard, Gunn, Lemina and Obafemi for around £55m and bought Armstrong, Perraud, Lyanco and Livramento for around £40m. Assuming we were being told the truth when told the £70m loan was for cashflow purposes, then we've got the capital to pick up a good deal or two without the new regime having to put their hands in their pockets.

We won’t win the net spend trophy throwing money around like that!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I'm glad Ralph has acknowledged we need a 10. A first choice one too hopefully. I also think we need a CM long term (DM) but I'd take a 10 this window. I think GK will wait until the summer. 

Pretty much my thoughts, as much as we need a GK I can’t see us signing a third senior keeper.. especially if Cab is coming in till the end of the season

No.10 would be my priority, then dare I say it a CB as I lack any solid faith in Stephens/Bednarek 

But agree regarding a DM, we only have 1 pure DM and thats Romeu 

Not expecting much transfer action this month despite the takeover. We may have an interest in a GK and a no10 but the january window is always a difficult one - clubs reluctant to let players leave without a suitable replacement and all these moving parts often dont get resolved within a month. Should be an interesting summer though