January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

As McCarthy is seemingly signing a new contract we can only assume that we will be signing a young no2 keeper 'to push him' rather than an obvious first choice. Likely in the summer as we already have 3 senior keepers.

Otherwise we have the same situation as now where our backup keeper is one of the highest paid players, which for a club like Saints is clearly stupid.

I'd suggest that IF we do not sign a GK that is obviously better than any we currently have, in particular McCarthy, and he is Ralph's number 1 choice still at the start of the new season, then the takeover is almost pointless🤣

Investing in a top keeper is the most important position to sort. 

59 minutes ago, Dusic said:

As McCarthy is seemingly signing a new contract we can only assume that we will be signing a young no2 keeper 'to push him' rather than an obvious first choice. Likely in the summer as we already have 3 senior keepers.

Otherwise we have the same situation as now where our backup keeper is one of the highest paid players, which for a club like Saints is clearly stupid.

Why would we assume anything of the sort? If McCarthy does sign a new contract why would he be one of our highest paid players instead of backup GK wages?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

Trouble is, it would be a statement to 25 squad players that the wage cap didn't exist anymore!!

Wouldn't be that high. JWP is on £100k and Ings was offered the same. If we offered him £120k I think they could see the advantage if it ment not having a liability in goal

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Wouldn't be that high. JWP is on £100k and Ings was offered the same. If we offered him £120k I think they could see the advantage if it ment not having a liability in goal

Oh they would see the advantage and use it to their own advantage in their own salary negotiations!

1 minute ago, HnycS said:

Oh they would see the advantage and use it to their own advantage in their own salary negotiations!

Probably yeah. I imagine the same will be true of when the new owner came in. More money at the club and players will want their share.

6 minutes ago, TWar said:

Goalkeepers are statistically the least valuable member of the team; hence the (relatively) lower transfer fees and wages.

Would rather we bought a statement no. 10 with the cash instead as that’s much more likely to translate to improvement

• Like 1

Just now, JxgrSaint said:

Goalkeepers are statistically the least valuable member of the team; hence the (relatively) lower transfer fees and wages.

Would rather we bought a statement no. 10 with the cash instead as that’s much more likely to translate to improvement

Really? I have never seen that statistic, I don't suppose you have a link as would be interested.

Post shot expected goals data tells us if we had Johnstone last season instead of McCarthy we would have conceded about 12 fewer goals. That is the same amount of goals as our top scorer got. It isn't always that stark as goalkeepers are rarely as bad as McCarthy was that season but it certainly feels impactful.

You are definitely right about goalkeepers tending to earn the least on average though, stats available here: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1095596/average-epl-salary-by-age-and-position/, so you are probably on to something.

In general, the most valuable role is where you are weakest imo, it's why Digne is such a good signing for Villa even though it would likely make their leading earner a fullback which is again a role that doesn't tend to demand high wages and fees.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Boufal balling out and scoring winner for Morroco tonight v Ghana.

Wonder of there are any gems in the tournament, anyone got any suggestions to watch out for?

Buying players based on performances in tournaments is always a terrible idea.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

Walker-Peters and Valery are only going to miss one game, by Saturday we’ll be back to having two right back even with Liveramento unsure of return we’ve still got Ward Prowse or Stephens able to fill in there as a stop gap. Talk of signing another one is ridiculous. 

Yes, agree the sudden clamour about signing more backup at RB (and Ralph's own comments) seemed odd to me. As Ralph has seemed reluctant to use Perraud so far, it would make slightly more sense if we were looking at LB options? KWP is a more than adequate substitute for Livramento and arguably should have been playing at RB more often so far this season anyway.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

Yes, agree the sudden clamour about signing more backup at RB (and Ralph's own comments) seemed odd to me. As Ralph has seemed reluctant to use Perraud so far, it would make slightly more sense if we were looking at LB options? KWP is a more than adequate substitute for Livramento and arguably should have been playing at RB more often so far this season anyway.

KWP is our best RB or LB. No debate to be had 😅

9 hours ago, Cartman said:

Why would we assume anything of the sort? If McCarthy does sign a new contract why would he be one of our highest paid players instead of backup GK wages?

Because its not Football Manager, its real life.

As it would be McCarthy's third contract with us and he has been our no1 for about 3 years I would imagine he is on a first team regulars wage.

No chance he will be accepting less money this time around, so he will be getting paid a first team GK wage.

I am 99% sure whichever GK we sign will be on less cash than McCarthy.

Most important positions to improve, ie get in better than we have are;

GK

No 10 as they say. Playmaker.

DFM.

Less important but necessary.

CB. 

Striker if we can't tie Broja down.

If any can happen this month, then great. If not we need to sort all of them in the summer. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Because its not Football Manager, its real life.

As it would be McCarthy's third contract with us and he has been our no1 for about 3 years I would imagine he is on a first team regulars wage.

No chance he will be accepting less money this time around, so he will be getting paid a first team GK wage.

I am 99% sure whichever GK we sign will be on less cash than McCarthy.

Let's say we didn't offer him "a first team GK wage", do you think there is absolutely anyone in the PL who would? He'd be 2nd choice almost anywhere else in the PL in my opinion.

This is our best opportunity to upgrade the position, we have 3 GKs all out of contract this summer.

I'd put one of them on a reduced wage, and then try to buy a GK who starts for another team rather than one warming the bench, there must be someone available for £10m-£15m 

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

'Only a few weeks ago, the Slovakia international admitted that he wanted to stay at the Rio Tinto Stadium. But, for whatever reason, an agreement over a new deal could not be reached.' 

Investigative journalism at its finest!

• Haha 1

Newcastle going full on Everton here. I thought they were the new Man City? 

That's £30m down the pan on a short-term stop gap player. I guess it doesn't matter when you have an endless pot, but that transfer just shows they have absolutely no real plan or philosophy. It's very Everton-esque.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Spurs are going to replace their keeper. Lloris aint very good. Johnstone has been mentioned, but Henderson looks the much better option. That feels a better fit than him coming to us. His wages (every player at United) must be problematic for us.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's £30m down the pan on a short-term stop gap player. I guess it doesn't matter when you have an endless pot, but that transfer just shows they have absolutely no real plan or philosophy. It's very Everton-esque.

Not easy for them. Who can they sign? Hard sell at the moment. I said on another thread, Broja for £35m would be an option for them. But would he want t make that move? Not so sure.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not easy for them. Who can they sign? Hard sell at the moment. I said on another thread, Broja for £35m would be an option for them. But would he want t make that move? Not so sure.

I guess it's a hard sell, but they have a lot of money to offer in wages so it becomes an easier sell in that sense. I know Howe said Trippier didn't go there for the money, but whatever. He wouldn't have gone there otherwise.

30/35m on Chris Wood just feels a bit panicky to me. No real plan to that one and someone they'll probably loan out in 12 months time to a Champ side. He's not even been particularly good for Burnley this year.

If I was a Burnley fan I’d be very annoyed about Woods. Yes, decent money in, but what a nightmare to be strengthening a relegation rival whilst weakening yourselves. 

I actually think he’s an ok signing. They need a player who knows the league and can hit the ground running. I wouldn’t be surprised if he scored a few and helped them stay up. 

It’s a short term signing but then its the here & now where the need is

Woods to Newcastle is odd all round.

Newcastle fans will be hugely underwhelmed, it’s such a big fee for someone in their 30s, he’s very much suited to Burnley’s style of plate too, it feels like Newcastle are just throwing money around to see what sticks. They were linked with the likes of Dembele and they’re signing Woods! To be fair to him, his goal scoring record Isn’t that bad, double figures in the Prem over the last 4 seasons.

Burnley fans will be worried, it’s a shocker from them even though it seems it’s a release clause that’s prompted the move. They won’t find a replacement and they’re desperately short of goals as it is, that maybe it for them now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I guess it's a hard sell, but they have a lot of money to offer in wages so it becomes an easier sell in that sense. I know Howe said Trippier didn't go there for the money, but whatever. He wouldn't have gone there otherwise.

I mean leaving one of the world's best coaches in Simeone, who last year guided them to the title, and still in the Champions League knockouts as well, not to mention the much better climate of Spain for the cold north and team who has won just one game all season and is in massive danger of getting relegated.

I struggle to see how it will be anything but money to be honest, you also have to question his desire and work rate, especially in a World Cup year. Maybe he wasn't cutting it with Simeone, as I reckon he must be a hard taskmaster, maybe this is basically his retirement fund. Phone in for £100k a week for the next 4 years or something. 

Chris Wood is also a bit funny to be honest, £25 million for a 30 year old who has scored 3 goals this year. I mean I suppose he's been like a 10-12 goal a season man for Burnley so if he can get Newcastle 6 or so in the 2nd half of the season is that enough? 

Thing is they have the issue everyone foresaw, quality players are going to think twice about joining Newcastle now, let alone clubs agreeing to let them go in January anyway. I mean any up and coming player who's stock is high, why would you bother even if the money is good, clubs will still want you in the summer and you aren't risking getting relegated and stuck at Newcastle in the championship.

So they are left with basically greedy journeyman or over the hill players who will take that last big contract. 

Edited by tajjuk

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I guess it makes sense from Newcastle's point of view, taking a relegation rival's striker off of them and giving themselves a better chance of staying up. Dropping to the Championship would be a massive setback to their ambitions.

That said, it might be a little short sighted. Wood hasn't been at his best this season, and it'd be amusing if Burnley went and used the money to buy a striker that keeps them up at Newcastle's expense.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

£28m for 30 year old Chris Wood. Good lord. 

The cynic in me believes this deal is much more to do with weakening Burnley, than their belief that Chris Woods is the answer to their goalscoring problems.  Toon really are a very smelly, shitty club now aren't they? 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Micky said:

The cynic in me believes this deal is much more to do with weakening Burnley, than their belief that Chris Woods is the answer to their goalscoring problems.  Toon really are a very smelly, shitty club now aren't they? 

They always were.

I saw some of their posters not caring about buying success (Woods) with "blood money" because they put up with 10 years of ashley. Tell that to the children of Yemen or even Khashoggi's family. They are owned by the man who ordered so much suffering, yet they have embraced it happily like they are some giant club that deserves success, whilst also paradoxically not realising that it is largely worthless if you just buy it. The soul of their club is fundamentally dead. All on the back of what is frankly blood money. Absolutely detestable fanbase. I have never wanted a team to be relegated so much before 😅

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 19