January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

47 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I think he's probably better than Perraud right now but doubt we will go there. 

We haven’t seen enough of Perraud yet but I’ve never thought Targett was anything special, personally. It did seem like he’d kicked on at Villa but now it’s starting to look more like playing behind Grealish was flattering him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

We haven’t seen enough of Perraud yet but I’ve never thought Targett was anything special, personally. It did seem like he’d kicked on at Villa but now it’s starting to look more like playing behind Grealish was flattering him.

Exactly. That's why I said right now. Perraud will likely get better and Targett won't. Will be interesting to see whether Small is any good. 

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That's exactly what my Villa supporting workmate says. Oppo teams were scared to over commit down that side when Grealish was playing, and how he's gone Targett's weaknesses are much more exposed. I think we did very well to get the fee we did for him TBH.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Apparently, their new owners gave them a "Pep talk" in the dressing room after the Cambridge game. Some of their surplus players could be in bits in a skip already! 

Yes i saw that, hilarious! I remember when Rupert Lowe went into the Saints dressing room once, it went down as well as you can imagine!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bushey Saint said:

He's even more one-footed than Bertrand is/was.  No, wait ... is that even possible?

Targett's problems have always been due to a lack of pace, and therefore would've been solved with first team exposure as his reading of the game would've improved. 

Would I want him back..no, but he's easily skilled enough for the Premier league as long as he's not exposed

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Well it looks like it is in Broga hands to decide if he want to stay and request to be sold. Looks like Saints have made it clear we want to buy him. Chelsea look like they would sell him if the player wanted to leave, with a buy back clause. 

I wonder if he wants to stay and how much would be asked for his signature. 

• Like 1

I’d also be happy with a first refusal to Chelsea like the Tino buyback. If we could get 2-3 seasons out of those two we would be very lucky. 

Adding some more young talents like McAtee for example would be quite exciting.

Still not really sure if we can get Broja to stay beyond this season but if we are trying that’s all we can do. Good vibes about the direction we are heading at the moment.

• Like 1

Selling us Broja for 25/30mil this January, and maybe getting something like 25mil for Gallagher in the summer off someone could fund whoever is next on their list of stars to buy. If we put in a £50mil buy back like with Tino then that locks in his value for Chelsea if he does become a consistent PL striker.

7 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

The Athletic have done one of their “sensible transfers” pieces on Saints.

A few attacking midfielders are liked at - Carvalho at Fulham still sounds like he’d be tremendous signing for us.

Carvalho really? Im pretty sure his goalscoring is about as ruthless as Shanes

19 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I wonder what Shearer makes of them signing Wood? Looking forward to hearing him dress this up as exactly the kind of signing Newcastle should be making 

I really dont rate Wood, I would have thought they went for the wrng forward there! Cornet far more useful. Amazing that Howe is known for attractive passing football and now linked with 2 who are long ball type players eg Wood and Fellaini

19 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I wonder what Shearer makes of them signing Wood? Looking forward to hearing him dress this up as exactly the kind of signing Newcastle should be making 

I've already seen several 'pundits' say basically this, basically saying he works hard, knows the league blah blah. 

6 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Wouldn't mind making a cheeky bid for Migual Almiron from Newcastle. They bought him for 20 mill 3 years ago but can't get a tune out of him. Looking at his skills videos there's a good player in there. Think he's about 27.

I think he would only be a slight upgrade on Djenepo.

He's a player who always seems to be involved and does well against us, but his underlying numbers are pretty poor I think.

I'd only consider if price is right, I can imagine Newcastle paying him a lot though.

• Haha 1

Just now, nta786 said:

I think he would only be a slight upgrade on Djenepo.

He's a player who always seems to be involved and does well against us, but his underlying numbers are pretty poor I think.

I'd only consider if price is right, I can imagine Newcastle paying him a lot though.

I just think he's been playing in a really poor side for 3 years and maybe a fresh start is what he needs. As to wages, I have no idea what he's currently on.

10 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Wouldn't mind making a cheeky bid for Migual Almiron from Newcastle. They bought him for 20 mill 3 years ago but can't get a tune out of him. Looking at his skills videos there's a good player in there. Think he's about 27.

God he's another who is not a player I would want at Saints. He is a fair weather player and only ever does anything against us as we are soft as.....

6 minutes ago, OldNick said:

God he's another who is not a player I would want at Saints. He is a fair weather player and only ever does anything against us as we are soft as.....

Almiron is a terrible player by Premier league standards. Didn't they sign him from mls?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Nah, not really sure he'll add anything we don't already have. We've already got loads of number 10's who flatter to deceive and don't actually score, so we don't need another one. He seems very erratic. I don't think you can question his application or commitment, but I think as fans we may be a bit bias towards him as his best game of the season is 99% of the time against us.

5 hours ago, austsaint said:

Doubt that he is....in any case Im confident that Small is better than both.

Ah but what season do you think he might play? before a transfer request drops or ralph starts as hes done recently playing players in their bought in for position.

5 hours ago, redkeith said:

Apparently, their new owners gave them a "Pep talk" in the dressing room after the Cambridge game. Some of their surplus players could be in bits in a skip already! 

You cross this line, you die...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Imagine becoming one of the richest clubs in world football and appointing Howe while signing Trippier and Wood. 

They said that they wouldn't overpay for anybody !

I assume then that Wood is worth £25 million 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

Newcastle known to be looking for a centre back? Watford looking for one as well. Can’t imagine Saints would be keen to sell unless they have a replacement lined up. No idea on Valery, rumoured that St Etienne interested from recent articles. 

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm wondering who would have been impressed by him enough to spend serious money (i.e. he won't be walking for free soon), seeing as he's a year into a 4.5 year contract

Sometimes I don't get the negatively around Bednarek. He's a Polish international and they are no mugs. He's also pretty experienced at Premier league level. He's easily are second best centre half at the moment. Sure he makes the occasional error positionally but for the money we pay, what's currently better out there?

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Sometimes I don't get the negatively around Bednarek. He's a Polish international and they are no mugs. He's also pretty experienced at Premier league level. He's easily are second best centre half at the moment. Sure he makes the occasional error positionally but for the money we pay, what's currently better out there?

Yeah O don't really get the negativity for him. Sure we can do better, and perhaps we should in tbe summer, but Him Salisu, Lyanco and New first choice is a decent group, with Simeu possibly coming through next season. I'd move Stephens on at the first opportunity.

14 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

my point being, if you managed someone like Spurs, West Ham or Villa (who would have the required funds to tempt us) would you look to sign him? Has he done enough to impress `top 6' type clubs? I was surprised Leicester signed Vestegaard, but as you suggest, perhaps we as fans are too harsh on our CBs...perhaps.