January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

getting an exciting young player on a `free'. Sounds too good to be true. Can't recall us managing to grab talent like that before. Perhaps the Livramento signing will stand us in great stead if we are genuinely interested. 

Lots of nice stuff on the youtube video. We badly need to upgrade Djenepo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

getting an exciting young player on a `free'. Sounds too good to be true. Can't recall us managing to grab talent like that before. Perhaps the Livramento signing will stand us in great stead if we are genuinely interested. 

Lots of nice stuff on the youtube video. We badly need to upgrade Djenepo.

There’s a few available this summer including Dembele at Celtic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Fulham supporting friend of mine said he’s a good player but has stalled a bit this season, Co-incidentally since all the contract talk.

Thinks he’s got a bit above himself and has gone through the motions a little bit. Suspect that’s a bit of sour grapes that they’re going to lose him.

This aged well

1 minute ago, manji said:

We have scouts at the Aberdeen v Rangers game allegedly watching Calvin Ramsey. I’m fairly sure we have been linked with him before.

18 year old right back. Don’t we already have a very good one of those?

1 minute ago, manji said:

We have scouts at the Aberdeen v Rangers game allegedly watching Calvin Ramsey. I’m fairly sure we have been linked with him before.

Absolutely guaranteed for us to be linked with a Scottish wonder-kid every transfer window that we never sign.   He’s a right-back, BTW.  Def remember us being linked with him.

30 minutes ago, Chez said:

We badly need to upgrade Djenepo.

What with injuries and AFCON, I had completely forgotten about him TBH.

Showed a bit of potential in his early games - his solo goal at Sheff Utd was outstanding - but he's never lived up to it. A strange player in that he often looks like he's having a really good game and causing all sorts of problems, but his end product is non-existent.

Wouldn't be at all bothered if he was offloaded.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

What with injuries and AFCON, I had completely forgotten about him TBH.

Showed a bit of potential in his early games - his solo goal at Sheff Utd was outstanding - but he's never lived up to it. A strange player in that he often looks like he's having a really good game and causing all sorts of problems, but his end product is non-existent.

Wouldn't be at all bothered if he was offloaded.

I've lost count the number of times he's got the ball stuck under his feet. Injured from the off, lots of niggling injuries thereafter and a failure to take the chances offered him so far. Still only 23, but with 18 months left on his contract he needs to do something in the second half of the season, otherwise we'd be looking to offload in the summer to try and recoup a few bob of the £14m we spent. Doubt anyone is going to pay a fee though. They'll just sign him on loan and then pick him up for free the summer after. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Would be a brilliant pick up - very pessimistic about it happening.   More likely Liverpool or the like.

He has the same agent as Che Adams and more importantly Ryan Sessegnon and twin brother Steven. (also at Fulham)

Given how his career has stalled since moving to a top 6 team you'd think the agents would be more inclined for Carvalho to use a club like us as a stepping stone and ultimately get a big transfer in a few years

Win, win, win situation

3 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

He has the same agent as Che Adams and more importantly Ryan Sessegnon and twin brother Steven. (also at Fulham)

Given how his career has stalled since moving to a top 6 team you'd think the agents would be more inclined for Carvalho to use a club like us as a stepping stone and ultimately get a big transfer in a few years

Win, win, win situation

Hope you're right - I remember him making one of his first appearances for Fulham against us last season.   It was hard to miss his talent.

6 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Win, win, win situation

Hopefully. I think the Haaland/Sancho example at Dortmund might have convinced a few that two years at a club that will definitely play you every week before you hit 22/23 is better for your career trajectory. Think Hudson-Odoi in particular has set his development back quite a way by not leaving Chelsea for regular football.

8 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Win, win, win situation

That's if the agent is really interested in progressing his clients career, or if he'd prefer to make more money off a move to a bigger club

34 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Praying we absolutely smash them after their £300m spend.

Disgusting how that game was postponed.

It smacks to me of the Premier League now just being in the pay of those with the biggest chequebooks. Very crooked from top to bottom. Newcastle will easily just buy there passage into next season's top league, and will doubtless move up their calibre of signings of mercenaries to make a challenge, jettisoning Howe along the way with a huge pay-off. Despicable.

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Praying we absolutely smash them after their £300m spend.

Disgusting how that game was ever postponed.

The Arsenal postponement was arguably worse if we are being neutral

Classic case of the dog taking the owner for a walk with clubs vs prem right now, completely lost control of the situation 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

The Arsenal postponement was arguably worse if we are being neutral

Classic case of the dog taking the owner for a walk with clubs vs prem right now, completely lost control of the situation 

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought the premier league was made up of each team that are in it . So each club has a representative and then they vote . If this is the case then each club must take a share of the responsibility for this situation .

4 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

That's if the agent is really interested in progressing his clients career, or if he'd prefer to make more money off a move to a bigger club

Maybe, but the agent would be better off getting a decent fee from us with a minimal fee paid to Fulham and cash in again once he gets his big move in a few years.

Needless to say, if the agent is only interested in the big payday as soon as possible then his clients should be looking for somebody that looks after their best interests.

I wonder what the philosophy of the new owner/management team is relating to agents fees, especially when dealing with out of contract, but in demand players? 

Previously we haven't managed to pick up too many out of contract players, which can be for any number of reasons, not least that we might not have wanted them, but perhaps the huge agents fee required these days (not to mention larger player wages) has put us off? 

If you are simply paying the multi millions to the agent/player in a signing on fee, rather than a transfer fee to the selling club, the total cost of ownership might exceed that of an alternative, `in contract' player. 

Carvalho for example, will no doubt be far from free. You let you contract run down for a reason - massive signing on fee and much bigger wage, compensating for the lack of a transfer fee.

Maybe its time to start reporting these deals as complete packages, including all costs, as was the case with the recent `Harland to Real Madrid £292m package' news story that did the rounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sad saints fan said:

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought the premier league was made up of each team that are in it . So each club has a representative and then they vote . If this is the case then each club must take a share of the responsibility for this situation .

I don’t think there was a specific ‘vote’ on the ability to get matches postponed, all cases are reviewed individually by the premier league, I believe there was a vote early December about a winter break but it would have resulted in a loss of revenue so was rejected

The PL has basically set a precedent by allowing clubs to postpone fixtures for more than just COVID cases now, and we’ve even had the likes of Liverpool having some very ‘fishy’ cases of 13 fakse positives

Even if it did go to a vote the issue still lies with the premier league overall though, they are in charge of maintaining the sporting integrity of the competition and are failing miserably at it

This year into next was always going to be difficult with AFCON, COVID and the December WC this calendar year… I can only see the situation being made worse when they inevitably have to extend the season to accommodate these postponements

1 hour ago, sad saints fan said:

The Premier League is run by an executive committee who make day to day decisions.

Just now, goodymatt said:

With this link and the scouting the Aberdeen RB, does this mean Tino might need surgery after all? We are otherwise heavily stocked in this area…

I very much doubt we would be looking to spend £15m on temporary cover for Tino.

More likely that KWP will be looking to move on, having lost his starting place to a teenager, and we're eyeing up a potential replacement for him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I very much doubt we would be looking to spend £15m on temporary cover for Tino.

More likely that KWP will be looking to move on, having lost his starting place to a teenager, and we're eyeing up a potential replacement for him.

Edited by benjii

7 minutes ago, benjii said:

What a f**k up that would be.

He's been great for us but he isn't irreplaceable. All depends what kind of fee we could get for him I suppose.

I know for a fact he's not happy at losing his place. If he wants to leave and we can get decent money for him and sign an adequate understudy for Tino, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing.

16 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He's been great for us but he isn't irreplaceable. All depends what kind of fee we could get for him I suppose.

I know for a fact he's not happy at losing his place. If he wants to leave and we can get decent money for him and sign an adequate understudy for Tino, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing.

Can see KWP wanting to move on, but hoping we can keep him as he’s been a great signing. It’s a nice problem to have, but I can’t see it being a problem KWP will put up with. He’s not a LB, what happens if/when Small breaks through or If Perraud develops well. Far too good to be a squad player for Saints!

He was one of our best players last season. Just what has happened to change that. 

Quite often, a player realises he can get paid more, and starts initiating a move. We have seen this loads.

But that does not appear to be the case with KWP. 

No one knew Tino was going to be so accomplished. But that does not explain this situation.

We need to understand what has happened, so we can learn from it.

I still feel KWP can be a key player for us. I will be gutted if we lose him. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

With this link and the scouting the Aberdeen RB, does this mean Tino might need surgery after all? We are otherwise heavily stocked in this area…

Maybe we will start doing some deals of the type Brighton have whereby we sign these types and loan them out for a year or 18 months until they are ready or there is a space for them.

If we get next season out of Livramento then we would in theory have a replacement ready if we then sold him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

How do you know for a fact? Just curious 

20 hours ago, DT said:

Newcastle as predicted will have a completely different line up when we play them compared to when we should have. Stinking rich cheats. 

We have the same opportunity to strengthen our side before we play them. All down to finance........and ambition.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1