January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Djed Spence is living off the Arsenal cup game hype at the minute, where he bossed Martinelli, but Forest are on Sky quite a lot and in the Championship matches he hasn't really stood out for them and then you have the fact that Middlesbrough loaned him out to a divisional rival, rather thank keeping him for their own promotion push. They don't have the squad of a Chelsea/City/Any of the top six, so it's not really comparable to a deal like Broja.

He'd be a good backup to have, probably a bit better than Pied's level, but you don't spend £15m on a backup and I really hope KWP doesn't leave. That would be poor squad management.

18 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

It's more to do with them supposedly "playing the system" to get games called off until they had strengthened........or cheating as some would see it.

Totally agree,however I am not naive enough to think that SFC is anything but a "bit part player " within this warped league.

51 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

It's more to do with them supposedly "playing the system" to get games called off until they had strengthened........or cheating as some would see it.

It has probably been discussed on here in the reams of threads, but i thought Ralph's suggestion of not allowing players purchased in the window to play in any games initially postponed before the window was a fair one.  

• Like 1

Would be a shame if KWP left but can understand his frustration.  Would have been interesting to see what a KWP/Livramento partnership down the right would have looked like.  Don't know what Djed Spence is like but has only really been playing since he moved to Forest on loan - seems to have been linked with Spurs, Arsenal and Leeds but feels like an agent trying to drum up some interest.  Was released by Fulham without making the first team, struggled to hold down a place in the Boro team and been sent out on loan.  Could be a late developer though.

5 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

It has probably been discussed on here in the reams of threads, but i thought Ralph's suggestion of not allowing players purchased in the window to play in any games initially postponed before the window was a fair one.  

I think it causes too many issues

The PL would be better off having transparency of covid testing and only allowing postponements for covid issues and not injuries/internationals

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

He was one of our best players last season. Just what has happened to change that. 

Quite often, a player realises he can get paid more, and starts initiating a move. We have seen this loads.

But that does not appear to be the case with KWP. 

No one knew Tino was going to be so accomplished. But that does not explain this situation.

We need to understand what has happened, so we can learn from it.

I still feel KWP can be a key player for us. I will be gutted if we lose him. 

Not sure there is anything particularly insipid in this

I think we took advantage of a good fee in Tino and he has turned out to be a significantly better player than expected, hence displacing KWP

Its also unfortunately completely understandable how KWP.. who left Sours due to a lack of opportunity and then had a stormer of a season last year now has his nose out of joint, but unfortunately thats football 

KWP has basically been a first choice pick apart from for about 4 game at the start of the season.

Would saying this spell at LB only improves him too as he can genuinely play both sides well which not many can do.

Don't hear Cancelo moaning at mostly playing LB despite primarily being a RB.

Rather than selling him, we should be extending his contract. Excellent player and one of a growing number of good signings during the Ralph era.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 8

Newcastle's approach to this window smacks of a scatter-shot panic, without any coherent plan as to which positions to prioritise, and which players might fit their vision. I am liking all the reports of players turning them down because of their league position.

Edited by badgerx16

3 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

A tenuous link to Federico Gatti from Frosinone in Serie B. "Chiellini with Bonucci's feet", His chairman has done a good job of talking him up...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/01/19/chiellini-with-bonnucis-feet-southampton-rival-juventus-for-9m-bargain/

Wow, surely that is the perfect centre back. You have to wonder why he isn’t playing for Real Madrid already if this is true 

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Newcastle's approach to this window smacks of a scatter-shot panic, without any coherent plan as to which positions to prioritise, and which players might fit their vision. I am liking all the reports of players turning them down because of their league position.

They thought they were going to get Mbappe, they got Chris Wood 😃

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Djed Spence is living off the Arsenal cup game hype at the minute, where he bossed Martinelli, but Forest are on Sky quite a lot and in the Championship matches he hasn't really stood out for them and then you have the fact that Middlesbrough loaned him out to a divisional rival, rather thank keeping him for their own promotion push. They don't have the squad of a Chelsea/City/Any of the top six, so it's not really comparable to a deal like Broja.

He'd be a good backup to have, probably a bit better than Pied's level, but you don't spend £15m on a backup and I really hope KWP doesn't leave. That would be poor squad management.

Not sure which Forest games you've watched, but Spence has stood out in the games I've watched. Going forward he's very good, with skills and pace. In that Arsenal game you mention, defensively he looked a little exposed, but that has not been the case against Championship opposition. Forest have played with 5 at the back a fair bit, which gives him a licence to bomb forward. Since Cooper came in, Forest have been much more attacking and Spence has benefited from that

From what I am told by my brother in law, most Boro fans are surprised he was loaned out and there have been widespread calls to bring him back in January. Spence however isn't keen and wants to see the season out at Forest, as he's enjoyed it so much. Keep in mind that it was Warnock that didn't fancy him and Boro were utter shite under him.

£12m has been mentioned, but he's only got 18 months left on his contract, so Boro will be lucky to get that unless it's right now.

5 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He's been great for us but he isn't irreplaceable. All depends what kind of fee we could get for him I suppose.

I know for a fact he's not happy at losing his place. If he wants to leave and we can get decent money for him and sign an adequate understudy for Tino, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing.

He lost his place, but KWP has the shirt now and who knows, will Tino get it back this season? Tino started brilliantly, but he faded and defensively he hasn't convinced me to be honest. He ball watches and positionally he can be suspect. We have looked more solid with KWP at right back.

I think it would be a bloody shame to lose KWP. 

• Like 17

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

He lost his place, but KWP has the shirt now and who knows, will Tino get it back this season? Tino started brilliantly, but he faded and defensively he hasn't convinced me to be honest. He ball watches and positionally he can be suspect. We have looked more solid with KWP at right back.

Tino was always going to fall out of form, that's almost inevitable for players of his age. He will return no doubt and as you say needs to be better defensively overall. But he is an exciting talent but I do think that his long term position is further forward. Really like KWP, the type of character and abilty we need. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Agree KWP Is a very good player. Would be a real shame to lose him. Hopefully Livramento will develop into a top player but it’s perfectly normal for young players to come in with a bang and their form to drop off, seen it many times before. In truth he should have been left out weeks before he got the injury. Hopefully we can keep them both and with Perarrd seeming to be improving and Small waiting in the wings what was our weakest position now seems to be our strongest 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Interesting- right age and right price. Can’t say how good he is but seems to be getting a few plaudits.

We’re going through our archetypal transfer window tick boxes:

• Scottish wonder-kid  

• Ligue 1 unknown  

• Highly rated domestic wonder-kid(s)  

• Serie A/B unknown  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Hopefully we see more of this frustration before the window closes. A few Carillo type desperation signings at 23.00 on deadline day would be delightful

One desperate Carillo specific signing would be good too.

There's a bit in Private Eye regarding the embarrassment Newcastle's plight will cause their owners in the region. Staveley mentioned as a likely scapegoat. Ashley has also sued Staveley and hubby, likely based on a loan made against prospective earnings in a case against her former employers. A case she lost.

Such a shame.

• Like 1

KWP won’t be leaving.

There aren’t any rumours of KWP going; aside from on here where people are going “it would be a shame if he left”, weirdly you could say that for a lot of our squad now.

————

Hope Newcastle’s panic buying goes the route of QPR or Fulham a couple of years back. 
It’s always encouraging to see the likes of Aaron Ramsey and Eden Hazard turning them down. 😂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

————

Hope Newcastle’s panic buying goes the route of QPR or Fulham a couple of years back. 
It’s always encouraging to see the likes of Aaron Ramsey and Eden Hazard turning them down. 😂

Has Jack Wilshire got a club yet?

• Haha 1

Summarised as very good player, Saints might have a chance but not if Liverpool make a genuine move for him.

My opinion - as with Broja, surely no point in Carvalho agreeing a move now. Might as well keep playing well for Fulham and in the summer can have his pick of clubs or an option to stay there and play regular PL football.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Suhari said:

Would be strange to get another CB. Weren't there rumours of Lyanco moving on though?

Not strange to get a CB who seems better than what we've got, surely? Might well slot in alongside Salisu (hope no offers are in for the latter)

12 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

One desperate Carillo specific signing would be good too.

There's a bit in Private Eye regarding the embarrassment Newcastle's plight will cause their owners in the region. Staveley mentioned as a likely scapegoat. Ashley has also sued Staveley and hubby, likely based on a loan made against prospective earnings in a case against her former employers. A case she lost.

Such a shame.

Made me chuckle, Homes and Watson reads Private Eye. 

The whole Newcastle situation is extremely amusing, from a distance. Their fans are getting understandably restless at the lack of visible progress in bringing in players, with more names being thrown up daily. Much of this is agent talk, no doubt, or the press desperately trying to find stories in yet another quiet window, but the club needs to bring in players urgently to stay up, so the frustratio0n of knowing the money was there, but having only got two deals over the line is understandable.

Contrast that to our situation. Any money available now became available later, and we have no urgent need to buy this month. So, whilst we might like a marquee purchase this month, our survival doesn't depend on it, so any lack of visible progress is not a concern to our fans. Simply, a 'nice to have'! A great position to be in, and one the Board and the manager have done well to manufacture.

Newcastle's plight provides great external entertainment because of the what ifs that might arise.

Should they stay up, then those players brought in now, along with those already there, will certainly be deemed 'not good enough', and be cast aside, though presumably with massive survival bonuses. Next summer will then see the cheque book come out in style, and bigger names come in.

But, if they are relegated, their current squad is probably not strong enough to secure automatic promotion, but who will join a championship club, in a World Cup year, knowing that if they gain promotion, they are likely to be cast aside twelve months later? So, a relegation might be followed by two seasons in the second level. How patient to such a situation will their owners be? 

• Like 2

r/FantasyPL - SkySports released the team history signing records of 20 Premier League teams! The most expensive is Man City's Grealish.

Also not forgetting Bournemouth spending c. £25m on Lerma, Fulham spending c. £25m on Anguissa or Seri I think, Huddersfield spending £18m on Kongolo, £20m on Brewster by Sheffield United, Stoke spending £22m on Imbula, Swansea spending £21m on Ayew

1 hour ago, Pwoite said:

The whole Newcastle situation is extremely amusing, from a distance. Their fans are getting understandably restless at the lack of visible progress in bringing in players, with more names being thrown up daily. Much of this is agent talk, no doubt, or the press desperately trying to find stories in yet another quiet window, but the club needs to bring in players urgently to stay up, so the frustratio0n of knowing the money was there, but having only got two deals over the line is understandable.

One thing that doesn't often get mentioned, is the fact that many players, however much money is offered, just don't want to live in/around Newcastle. I think it a gorgeous part of the world, but my priorities are somewhat different to a 20 something football player earning £££k a week. 

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

r/FantasyPL - SkySports released the team history signing records of 20 Premier League teams! The most expensive is Man City's Grealish.

Also not forgetting Bournemouth spending c. £25m on Lerma, Fulham spending c. £25m on Anguissa or Seri I think, Huddersfield spending £18m on Kongolo, £20m on Brewster by Sheffield United, Stoke spending £22m on Imbula, Swansea spending £21m on Ayew

Its amusing that the vast majority of these are flops

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Interesting list, most of those have been absolute disasters. I can count the successful one one hand -

Van Dijk, Tielemans, Ings, Sarr (although he was a bit too much at the time). 

Jury is still out on the likes of Mwepu, Ajer and Buendia, but if those clubs want to keep progressing then those records will be eclipsed in forthcoming windows anyway.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Interesting list, most of those have been absolute disasters. I can count the successful one one hand -

Jury is still out on the likes of Mwepu, Ajer and Buendia, but if those clubs want to keep progressing then those records will be eclipsed in forthcoming windows anyway.

Thank god we spent more on Ings than we did Carrillo. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ajer looks an excellent signing to be fair, the sort of defender I wanted and would suit us perfectly… shame we missed him

1 hour ago, Pwoite said:

Contrast that to our situation. Any money available now became available later, and we have no urgent need to buy this month. So, whilst we might like a marquee purchase this month, our survival doesn't depend on it, so any lack of visible progress is not a concern to our fans. Simply, a 'nice to have'! A great position to be in, and one the Board and the manager have done well to manufacture.

Newcastle's plight provides great external entertainment because of the what ifs that might arise.

Should they stay up, then those players brought in now, along with those already there, will certainly be deemed 'not good enough', and be cast aside, though presumably with massive survival bonuses. Next summer will then see the cheque book come out in style, and bigger names come in.

But, if they are relegated, their current squad is probably not strong enough to secure automatic promotion, but who will join a championship club, in a World Cup year, knowing that if they gain promotion, they are likely to be cast aside twelve months later? So, a relegation might be followed by two seasons in the second level. How patient to such a situation will their owners be? 

They're panicking, which is why you're seeing this really slap-dash, hap hazard player search. There doesn't seem to be any plan or strategy to what they're trying to achieve. When City got their millions there was a plan (with the Sheik takeover) they had the bonus of being somewhat established, but they went out and got up-coming players like Kompany, Zabeletta etc and experienced signings like Lescott, Kolo Toure etc. Then once they'd established themselves further, they went after the likes of Silva, Augero, Yaya etc to really push them to the next level.

Newcastle's attempts at the mo has close parallels to QPR. They were also relegation candidates when they got their billionaire owner. So they were throwing money at so many average and over the hill players who just went there for one last pay-day. Loic Remy, Samba, Bosingwa, Cesar the GK etc. Exotic names at the time and I remember a poster on here called Flyer who was very excited by it.

Didn't end too well though.

Moral of the story is that you can have all the money in the world, but if you have no real plan of what to do with it then you might as well open a window and let it fly away.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Love this scouting!! Please may it continue! Saints are looking around the world at break out, stand out, young stars. I think the young talent we can get for 10 mill or less, will be far more exciting and profit potential than a more established, older, out of favor, not in the first team regularly, type of player.

They need the energy of youth and the willingness to press till pompey get back to PL.....with our new owner and our PL, stadium, training grounds and medical facilities,  we could beat most competition for the best young stars. As we have seen from broga, Liv,  small etc. They can have an impact on our team at a young age if they are standout talents. Like the Fabio from fulham link as well.

With regards to Newcastle - it might look like panic, but perhaps they've just realised they don't need to finish in the top half, they just need to finish above Watford (and Norwich and Burnley, obviously).

(if someone's already said this, sorry - I should have read the whole thread).

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Indeed!

(Lingard would be a bloody good signing, though)

For Newcastle, or for Saints? Or both? (Obviously he can't sign for both teams, that's not what I'm asking!!)

If he can replicate what he achieved at WHU last year, then most clubs would want him. IF!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Pwoite said:

For Newcastle, or for Saints? Or both? (Obviously he can't sign for both teams, that's not what I'm asking!!)

If he can replicate what he achieved at WHU last year, then most clubs would want him. IF!!!!!!!!!!!

Surprised West Ham didn’t go in.