January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Man City, Spurs and Man United are all keeping tabs on on Southampton skipper James Ward-Prowse.

Reports claim that Tottenham, in particular, have been monitoring the development of the English international for a long time.

#saintsfc 

uh oh

33 minutes ago, DT said:

Man City, Spurs and Man United are all keeping tabs on on Southampton skipper James Ward-Prowse.

Reports claim that Tottenham, in particular, have been monitoring the development of the English international for a long time.

#saintsfc 

uh oh

Of course they are. Clubs keep tabs on loads of players. It's not even news.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DT said:

#saintsfc 

uh oh

Of course he will have been monitored for a long time by these clubs.

I think the club would be totally relaxed about any interest in JWP. The fact we extended his contract means if we were to sell him in the next couple of years we could name the price.

48 minutes ago, DT said:

#saintsfc 

uh oh

Bout time he got more respect and suitors. Not worried though, just signed a new contract so would be stupid money in order to get him.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TWar said:

Bout time he got more respect and suitors. Not worried though, just signed a new contract so would be stupid money in order to get him.

At last he is getting some respect from our own fans. He's been rubbished on this Forum for ages.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dellman said:

At last he is getting some respect from our own fans. He's been rubbished on this Forum for ages.

A lot of the people on this forum are anti-saints. Either because they are trolls, they have wildly unrealistic expectations, or because it helps vent frustration. They will go against the manager and the captain as they get the most bites. Also new signings. Most were pro Broja as he was a loan but will be interesting to see how quick they turn on him if he becomes a permanent signing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DT said:

#saintsfc 

uh oh

Pfft Spurs don't worry me at all...

I'd set the starting price at £75m if they paid £55m for Tanguy Ndombele...

2 hours ago, DT said:

#saintsfc 

uh oh

I think this will be his last season for us, but I hope he is aiming higher than Spurs. I always saw him as a Man utd player, assuming they sort themselves out. 

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

I think he has significantly improved.  When Ralph first came it was Prowse who used the phrase "no more Mr Nice Guy" and was immediately more aggressive in his play.  You can see his game is better in all areas and his fitness now is above any other.  Probably in his prime now.  

21 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I wonder if we are in the mix for Ericksen? Rumours of a few Premier league teams looking 

I thought he may be out of range for us, but the news today is that Brentford are trying to sign him. He'd potentially be a great option for Saints, in a position we have been struggling a bit with

2 hours ago, Manuel said:

I think he has significantly improved.  When Ralph first came it was Prowse who used the phrase "no more Mr Nice Guy" and was immediately more aggressive in his play.  You can see his game is better in all areas and his fitness now is above any other.  Probably in his prime now.  

But we would not have seen him if people were not as patient as the managers and board. We would not have the best free kick taker in the world, we would not have the energizer bunny JWP that keep on going and going.......all because so many of you are experts in players future abilities. Please give our players support, the manager will decide if they are worthy of our badge. Our job is to support the team, encourage them, keep their confidence up. We should not be there to tear down our own players. That is like sending boys to war and telling them they are shit, usless and will die out there. It does not help the troops, it will not help the players. 

We can discuss player abilities,  everyone has their opinions,  but to denigrate them on field is not on! To write off young players who we hope will become stars is fool hardy, we just got to back them until they are out the door. Then we can talk smack about them.....if you are so inclined. 

My hopes are dej, moi, gorilla, Adam A, tella and even the long suffering Reds and Beds can improve to be important players for us. All saints players need supporting......... until they are gone. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

But we would not have seen him if people were not as patient as the managers and board. We would not have the best free kick taker in the world, we would not have the energizer bunny JWP that keep on going and going.......all because so many of you are experts in players future abilities. Please give our players support, the manager will decide if they are worthy of our badge. Our job is to support the team, encourage them, keep their confidence up. We should not be there to tear down our own players. That is like sending boys to war and telling them they are shit, usless and will die out there. It does not help the troops, it will not help the players. 

We can discuss player abilities,  everyone has their opinions,  but to denigrate them on field is not on! To write off young players who we hope will become stars is fool hardy, we just got to back them until they are out the door. Then we can talk smack about them.....if you are so inclined. 

My hopes are dej, moi, gorilla, Adam A, tella and even the long suffering Reds and Beds can improve to be important players for us. All saints players need supporting......... until they are gone. 

Don t forget also Mark Hugues s appalling treatment of JWP where he nearly left at the time to Watford for 15 mil

4 hours ago, TWar said:

A lot of the people on this forum are anti-saints. Either because they are trolls, they have wildly unrealistic expectations, or because it helps vent frustration. They will go against the manager and the captain as they get the most bites. Also new signings. Most were pro Broja as he was a loan but will be interesting to see how quick they turn on him if he becomes a permanent signing.

Or they could see pretty much from the off that the kid was a star in the making. Your attempted defence of the indefensible (higher ceiling comment) is astounding. It was a silly shout you rushed in with, more than likely because he’s not our player, just own it. No need to respond with your bulk standard responses we see every thread. 

Going against the narrative doesn’t make you a troll, ‘anti-saints’ or looking for bites. Without causing the thread to run completely off topic, given our form before this season, it was very fair to question the manager. 

In response to those clubs looking at JWP, I don’t see it happening. Maybe tottenham, but in my opinion, he wouldn’t be worth the money we’d command for him, which would put clubs off. 

16 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I agree, but Dellman was talking about the forum.  There's a difference between discussing a player's ability on here and abusing them on the pitch.  

I can only remember swearing at one of our players once, as it happens.  That was Nigel Quashie after he had a shot saved and seemed to want to stand offside to contemplate it, rather than getting himself back onside and continue with the game, with the ball still very much in play.  The silly sod.  

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Do this much noise making it more or less likely do we think? It’s unusual for us to take this approach. Didn’t work out as we wanted with Danny Ings for example. 

Possibly new owners wanting to appease the fans? Possible it’s coming from Broja camp to drum up other interest, or for Chelsea to commit. 

Whatever it is, I hope we can get it done. Even with a buy back, at 20m that would be a very good bit of business. We won’t be able to attract anyone better than him. 

• Like 5

Ypp. for me there is no issue with the buy back. We spent £15m on AA, who may come good, but currently is no where near what Broja is doing right now. So in that sense, we would be getting a player proven with us, that we know we are able to turn a tidy profit on. Call it a development fee for Chelsea or whatever, if we get a couple more years of him and a profit to boot, gotta be good.

37 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Don t forget also Mark Hugues s appalling treatment of JWP where he nearly left at the time to Watford for 15 mil

I remember one of Mark Hughes press conferences.

Ward Prowse? Get him out of my sight. A good son in law yes but f**king not what you need in the trenches. 

Wesley Hoedt, though? Absolute mint.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

United also ‘apparently’ planning a move for John McGinn. 

Won’t go down well on here I expect as he’s an unfashionable name, but he’s a top player. Similar sort of style to JWP, maybe just a little more attack minded. 

Just now, Dman said:

Won’t go down well on here I expect as he’s an unfashionable name, but he’s a top player. Similar sort of style to JWP, maybe just a little more attack minded. 

Wouldn't get in our squad.

7 hours ago, DT said:

#saintsfc 

uh oh

If they've been monitoring him for a long time why haven't they put in a bid? It's not as though there is much they can't know about JWP so why would they need to monitor him for a long time. Lazy journalism.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Isn't he unavailable this weekend?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This Broja situation gives me nightmares of the Alderweireld loan in that he was so nearly our player and then Spurs came in and took him….I hope the new owners can (A) Reach an agreement where Chelsea will sell and (B) Stump up the cash required to nab him. 

We won’t get a better chance to sign a player of his ability, it’s frightening how brilliant he could be in a couple of years time!!

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dorchester Saint said:

This Broja situation gives me nightmares of the Alderweireld loan in that he was so nearly our player and then Spurs came in and took him….I hope the new owners can (A) Reach an agreement where Chelsea will sell and (B) Stump up the cash required to nab him. 

We won’t get a better chance to sign a player if his ability and his potential ability in a few years is HUGE!!

If we get A then B should follow unless we have lied in A?

2 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

We won’t get a better chance to sign a player of his ability, it’s frightening how brilliant he could be in a couple of years time!!

Unfortunately if we rely on the fans on here we'd have paid £20m for the lad we sold to Swansea had he been on loan here. Broja has great potential but we must not get carried away and buy at any price.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

I don't think they're similar at all. With Toby, we had a binding agreement that they went back on. With Broja, there is no argeement and Chelsea are well within their legal and moral rights to tell us where to go and (as far as we know) haven't misled us at all.

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Wildly overrated player. Wouldn't get anywhere near our starting 11 let alone uniteds.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

I'd rather have Ward-Prowse and Romeu.

Same, by a mile. JWP is better than him in basically every way and Romeu is much better defensively, so I really don't know where he would fit into our pairing. If we played a midfield 3 I guess he could start but we don't so he doesn't.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nta786 said:

Pfft Spurs don't worry me at all...

I'd set the starting price at £75m if they paid £55m for Tanguy Ndombele...

Man Utd don't particularly worry me either, they are all over the place and I can't see him going there to be honest. I feel JWP is quite switched on and would only move for a very top notch manager and pretty much guaranteed trophies.  

That to me says Man City, maybe Utd if they managed to sort the mess out and got someone like Poch in, but even then not so sure,

Liverpool would be another obviously, but I don't think they are going to pay the fee, they have contracts to worry about so I don't think they have like the £70 million it would need.

Personally I reckon now he has signed a new deal and he's clearly people are noticing that he's a very good player I think his value is probably the highest it has been. I think the club would be expecting Maguire levels of money. English, good age, captain, world class set piece taker, exemplary fitness levels. no history of injuries. 

11 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Man Utd don't particularly worry me either, they are all over the place and I can't see him going there to be honest. I feel JWP is quite switched on and would only move for a very top notch manager and pretty much guaranteed trophies.  

That to me says Man City, maybe Utd if they managed to sort the mess out and got someone like Poch in, but even then not so sure,

Liverpool would be another obviously, but I don't think they are going to pay the fee, they have contracts to worry about so I don't think they have like the £70 million it would need.

Personally I reckon now he has signed a new deal and he's clearly people are noticing that he's a very good player I think his value is probably the highest it has been. I think the club would be expecting Maguire levels of money. English, good age, captain, world class set piece taker, exemplary fitness levels. no history of injuries. 

If Poch ends up at United in the summer, could be interesting

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Twar has some wierd dislike for Villa. McGinn would go straight in to our side no question.

Instead of who? Ward-Prowse or Romeu? McGinn wouldn't play in the Romeu role... so his competition is Ward-Prowse and I wouldn't be playing McGinn rather than Ward-Prowse. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

36 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Instead of who? Ward-Prowse or Romeu? McGinn wouldn't play in the Romeu role... so his competition is Ward-Prowse and I wouldn't be playing McGinn rather than Ward-Prowse. 

One of the 3 in midfield, or as one of the 10s if we go mental with the 4222

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

One of the 3 in midfield, or as one of the 10s if we go mental with the 4222

John Mcginn is decidedly not a 10.

56 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Twar has some wierd dislike for Villa. McGinn would go straight in to our side no question.

I don't, I just think a lot of their players are overrated as people didn't notice how much Grealish carried them. They are a mid table side who people think is European level for absolutely no reason.

• Like 1

As disappointed as I would be, If a champions league club comes in for him in summer I would wish him well and even encourage him to take the opportunity. he has been a great servant and chosen to stay when offered moves before but he has earned a realistic shot at some big trophies and a regular England spot. If we get fairly compensated in the process then we can’t really complain.