January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Chris Wood - if you are a Burnley fan you’re upset selling your centre forward to a relegation rival. If you’re a Newcastle fan you’re upset buying your new centre forward from a relegation rival.

Whichever way you look at it’s a bit odd. Does this mean that footballing genius Edward Howe is changing his philosophy and going route one? He’ll be wanting Andy Carroll back next!

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

Chris Wood - if you are a Burnley fan you’re upset selling your centre forward to a relegation rival. If you’re a Newcastle fan you’re upset buying your new centre forward from a relegation rival.

Whichever way you look at it’s a bit odd. Does this mean that footballing genius Edward Howe is changing his philosophy and going route one? He’ll be wanting Andy Carroll back next!

Maybe Burnley will replace Wood with Carroll, who was busy bossing it for Reading in their 0-7 defeat last night.

8 hours ago, Micky said:

The cynic in me believes this deal is much more to do with weakening Burnley, than their belief that Chris Woods is the answer to their goalscoring problems.  Toon really are a very smelly, shitty club now aren't they? 

My thoughts exactly. This smacks of sabotage more than any particular player strategy for Newcastle, and it might just come off - and for that reason it might also end up being good value. Incoming bids for Sarr and Dennis?

57 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Did you see those two non goals Carroll scored last night? Might be a good option for Burnley to replace Wood.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chez said:

Not easy for them. Who can they sign? Hard sell at the moment. I said on another thread, Broja for £35m would be an option for them. But would he want t make that move? Not so sure.

Depends how the loan deal to us is structured to be honest, potentially even if they wanted to they might not be able to

As for Woods, its an odd one, he doesn’t feel the sort of striker that you sign to dig you out of a relegation battle.. but I suppose conversely its weakening their rivals (although surely you do it later in the window)

Can’t help but think our only chance (minimal as it is) to sign Broja would be right now. I think our biggest hinderance is not necessarily that Chelsea will want him/want big money for him, but that other clubs will notice him. If he hits double figures this season then every club outside the top 6 will probably fancy him, and most can pay far more than we can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattster said:

My thoughts exactly. This smacks of sabotage more than any particular player strategy for Newcastle, and it might just come off - and for that reason it might also end up being good value. Incoming bids for Sarr and Dennis?

Mine too. Cynical, and probably quite sensible. It's why I feared them coming in for JWP at one stage. This is clearly the first line in their strategy - to weaken the teams around them. Kind of like what Starbucks do to local caffs. They can up the quality in future windows, when their safety is assured. I think they'll be out of danger in a month or so

2 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Good to hear. He looks like he has that ability on the ball and just needs to be able to cope with the physicality of the mens game. He's got a contract with us until 2023 I believe. Hope he can keep progressing.

• Like 1

Newcastle will be the next Everton.

Pissing away money needlessly at average has-beens. Even West Ham had a mild go a few years back with the likes of Carroll and Zabeleta. Mercenaries after one last big pay day.

They will not be Premier League champions anytime soon. They will not surpass the likes of Chelsea, United, Liverpool etc.

They will make the same strides as Everton and in a few years time they’ll have made progress no higher than mid-table.

It finally looks like Ralph is getting the best out of HIS squad...its taken 3 years but he finally has a group of players he actually wants at the club!

I wouldn't be too fussed if we don't make any moves this month. We'll be fine. If anything, lets keep developing the group already here.

In the summer we can say thank you and goodbye to Longy, Big Fras, and hopefully strengthen with a new GK, Wide attacking player, and a striker.

I hope the owners are seeing how good Broja is! Lets get him back next season however means necessary!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mattster said:

I would love Sarr or Dennis here, so wouldn't surprise me if they tried to unsettle them. That said, can they bid for Dennis? Can he move clubs in successive transfer windows? I think not, which is probably why they have moved for Woods and not Burnley's best attacker, Cornet.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Newcastle will be the next Everton.

Pissing away money needlessly at average has-beens. Even West Ham had a mild go a few years back with the likes of Carroll and Zabeleta. Mercenaries after one last big pay day.

They will not be Premier League champions anytime soon. They will not surpass the likes of Chelsea, United, Liverpool etc.

They will make the same strides as Everton and in a few years time they’ll have made progress no higher than mid-table.

I read yesterday that Everton have spent an astonishing £570 million  quid on players since 2016. Unbelievable.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Minsk said:

I would love Sarr or Dennis here, so wouldn't surprise me if they tried to unsettle them. That said, can they bid for Dennis? Can he move clubs in successive transfer windows? I think not, which is probably why they have moved for Woods and not Burnley's best attacker, Cornet.

Wood had a release clause too apparently, so Burnley can’t do anything about it - imagine they would definitely turn down bids from relegation rivals mid-season if they could.

2 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Is there anything in such a case to stop a club buying them on deadline day? Thus stopping Burnley reinvesting. That would be peak Newcastle shithousery. 

Wood hasn't been great for them this season anyway but they'll struggle to attract much in their situation. Maybe just change the way they play a little. McNeil, Cornet and Vydra wouldn't be short of pace. 

Don't think they've been "typical Burnley" for a few seasons now anyway.  Partly due to injuries. It's definitely left them in the shit, but no, they have to accept the bid.  The player doesn't have to go though, and to leave it to the last day, would risk them not getting medical / contract terms sorted in time.

9 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Is there anything in such a case to stop a club buying them on deadline day? Thus stopping Burnley reinvesting. That would be peak Newcastle shithousery. 

Wood hasn't been great for them this season anyway but they'll struggle to attract much in their situation. Maybe just change the way they play a little. McNeil, Cornet and Vydra wouldn't be short of pace. 

I’m not sure whether some of these things do or don’t have nuances like that in them. I guess Burnley could really drag their heels if it was left until the last day in order to delay it beyond any deadline, but not sure if that would come with any legal ramifications.

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

I’m not sure whether some of these things do or don’t have nuances like that in them. I guess Burnley could really drag their heels if it was left until the last day in order to delay it beyond any deadline, but not sure if that would come with any legal ramifications.

They'd just turn off their WiFi router i'd imagine.

• Haha 1

They'd have to accept the bid but I don't think there are any rules against them taking a reasonable time to sort it out. So if Newcastle did it at with like 4 hours left of the window then Burnley would totally get away with dragging their feet a little and it not going through in time. 

Wood might not be too happy with that I suppose. 

£25 million for Wood though is great business for the, they are not even really using him and he's been bang out of form for a while. It's just the timing in the window. 

As for Newcastle fans, their moaning about Ashley has been massively over entitled IMO, have we spent £40 million on a player? Have Palace, have Burnley? have Norwich, have Brentford?, Have Brighton? Plenty of clubs out there who are being run sustainably and aren't putting up big transfer fees, they are basically making out like Ashley was the worst owner ever for not throwing all his money into the club. Which is plenty of owners, who put not much in but don't really take much out, like Gao was with us, they just have some expectation they should be this massive club spending all this money.

Clubs out there who have way worse owners than Ashley was, who are going bankrupt or who are losing their ground or disappearing completely (I mean they only have to look at the shitshow down the road at Sunderland as to how bad it really could have been) so their fuss about it him was completely out of proportion to his 'crime' and then to basically accept being funded by a state that murders and tortures people because they will throw money at the club is appalling. Soulless club apparently, thought it was supposed to be about the community and representing the area etc. some tyrant comes flashing their money and they all bend over backwards for him and act like they deserve it for their wrongs? What a joke of a fanbase. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 14

50 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

They'd have to accept the bid but I don't think there are any rules against them taking a reasonable time to sort it out. So if Newcastle did it at with like 4 hours left of the window then Burnley would totally get away with dragging their feet a little and it not going through in time. 

Wood might not be too happy with that I suppose. 

£25 million for Wood though is great business for the, they are not even really using him and he's been bang out of form for a while. It's just the timing in the window. 

As for Newcastle fans, their moaning about Ashley has been massively over entitled IMO, have we spent £40 million on a player? Have Palace, have Burnley? have Norwich, have Brentford?, Have Brighton? Plenty of clubs out there who are being run sustainably and aren't putting up big transfer fees, they are basically making out like Ashley was the worst owner ever for not throwing all his money into the club. Which is plenty of owners, who put not much in but don't really take much out, like Gao was with us, they just have some expectation they should be this massive club spending all this money.

Clubs out there who have way worse owners than Ashley was, who are going bankrupt or who are losing their ground or disappearing completely (I mean they only have to look at the shitshow down the road at Sunderland as to how bad it really could have been) so their fuss about it him was completely out of proportion to his 'crime' and then to basically accept being funded by a state that murders and tortures people because they will throw money at the club is appalling. Soulless club apparently, thought it was supposed to be about the community and representing the area etc. some tyrant comes flashing their money and they all bend over backwards for him and act like they deserve it for their wrongs? What a joke of a fanbase. 

They are also giving Eddie Howe far more slack than they ever gave Steve Bruce. I'm not a fan of Bruce but Howe hasn't exactly improved their performances or results culminating in the FA Cup defeat at home to Cambridge. Had Bruce been in charge for that debacle there would have been Hell to pay.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

They are also giving Eddie Howe far more slack than they ever gave Steve Bruce. I'm not a fan of Bruce but Howe hasn't exactly improved their performances or results culminating in the FA Cup defeat at home to Cambridge. Had Bruce been in charge for that debacle there would have been Hell to pay.

I'm sure if Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce had signed Burnley's Chris Wood their wonderful fanbase would be absolutely fine with it.

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Yep, Howe has the same squad and has basically been as bad or worse.

They also gave Bruce way more hate than Rafa, even though performances under Rafa were pretty much the same, they finished pretty much the same in the league and played dour defensive football but he was hailed as some sort of genius.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I'm sure if Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce had signed Burnley's Chris Wood their wonderful fanbase would be absolutely fine with it.

They’re one of the worst out there imo. 

Seems to think they’re a huge club with unrivalled fanbase because they have a 50k seater stadium. 

Strange from a club who’ve not won a major trophy in 60odd years. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

Seems to think they’re a huge club with unrivalled fanbase because they have a 50k seater stadium. 

They did 'win' the intertoto Cup 🤣

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I've never liked them, another club that the media fawns over for no real reason. Aside from one good spell in the 90s under Keegan they've not done much for years. I always remember when Charlie Austin was available and there seemed to be this campaign to get him to sign for Newcastle, with it said several times "they love a number 9 up there" name a club that doesn't love a good striker FFS. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

Now meant to be trying to sign Fellani 🤣🤣

Great stuff - it's getting like Redknapp with Saints in 2005, but with an unlimited budget. Fellani is currently at the mighty Shandong Luneng, hopefully they'll want £30M.

Howay [out of the Prem] the lads...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Great stuff - it's getting like Redknapp with Saints in 2005, but with an unlimited budget. Fellani is currently at the mighty Shandong Luneng, hopefully they'll want £30M.

Howay [out of the Prem] the lads...

What's the rules on the 25 man squad? If they keep signing all this players surely they are going to run out of space? 

2 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I think he's probably better than Perraud right now but doubt we will go there. 

I don't at all. Targett is not a prem level player imo, has been awful in most games I've seen him in this season.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

What's the rules on the 25 man squad? If they keep signing all this players surely they are going to run out of space? 

It won't affect the new signings they make. Any surplus players they don't sell can be left unregistered and unable to play. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just now, austsaint said:

Indeed, looking forward to Small being given a chance.   Can't see Targett coming back here, can you?   Perraud is more than ok and KWP is very impressive, even out of position at LB.

Precisely that. We don't need any more FBs at the moment. More important positions to improve, GK and No.10 for starters. DCM and CM for sure  and Striker/Broja.

24 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It won't affect the new signings they make. Any surplus players they don't sell can be left unregistered and unable to play. 

ah okay cheers. Assume they de-register them then and they are left kicking their heels until the summer unless they get a loan or transfer elsewhere?

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

ah okay cheers. Assume they de-register them then and they are left kicking their heels until the summer unless they get a loan or transfer elsewhere?

Apparently, their new owners gave them a "Pep talk" in the dressing room after the Cambridge game. Some of their surplus players could be in bits in a skip already! 

• Haha 4