January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

he talks about signing players "earlier", and "not needing to sell first before buying" - basically have the necessary cash flow when they need it, so players they want don't go before they are in a position to buy.

There was a hint there that a player they were going to sign in the summer, would be targeted now - perhaps Johnstone? And also that they would sign a player now (perhaps to prevent another club getting him) but allow him to stay until the summer - could also be Johnstone, as WBA will want to keep him for their promotion push.

The type and price of player will be same as before ("the Livramentos and Brojas of this world") - so a relative shoestring budget, but just without the pain of having to wait until Ings is sold to do that business. 

In short, we wont see a change, except that we will have more chance of getting our first choice as we will have the cash flow to do it when we need to - at the start of windows or before the window opens - which we didn't before.

The difference between watching a press conference with and without rose tinted glasses I suppose.

I reckon my optimism is more accurate than your pessimism though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

he talks about signing players "earlier", and "not needing to sell first before buying" - basically have the necessary cash flow when they need it, so players they want don't go before they are in a position to buy.

There was a hint there that a player they were going to sign in the summer, would be targeted now - perhaps Johnstone? And also that they would sign a player now (perhaps to prevent another club getting him) but allow him to stay until the summer - could also be Johnstone, as WBA will want to keep him for their promotion push.

The type and price of player will be same as before ("the Livramentos and Brojas of this world") - so a relative shoestring budget, but just without the pain of having to wait until Ings is sold to do that business. 

In short, we wont see a change, except that we will have more chance of getting our first choice as we will have the cash flow to do it when we need to - at the start of windows or before the window opens - which we didn't before.

Exactly that, and it will be so refreshing to be able to operate with flexibility - that's all I ever wanted. I didn't want Countinho, Bale or £30m cb's etc. I was simply fed up with having to wait until we pocketed the change from Matt Targets deal before we could go and do x and y etc. 

I guess it depends what you consider to be a shoestring budget, but I can see us operating in the 10-15m bracket without having to sell first - that is a refreshing change and will allow us to grow rather than stand still.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Exactly that, and it will be so refreshing to be able to operate with flexibility - that's all I ever wanted. I didn't want Countinho, Bale or £30m cb's etc. I was simply fed up with having to wait until we pocketed the change from Matt Targets deal before we could go and do x and y etc. 

I guess it depends what you consider to be a shoestring budget, but I can see us operating in the 10-15m bracket without having to sell first - that is a refreshing change and will allow us to grow rather than stand still.

by shoestring, I meant no £30m players and very much self financing/sustaining, which caps our budget somewhat and that budget will be determined by prize money and transfers. If we sell JWP for £50m, then we could spend £20m on a single player, but otherwise we will looking at less than that, which is fine if the scouting is top notch. 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

by shoestring, I meant no £30m players and very much self financing/sustaining, which caps our budget somewhat and that budget will be determined by prize money and transfers. If we sell JWP for £50m, then we could spend £20m on a single player, but otherwise we will looking at less than that, which is fine if the scouting is top notch. 

I think we could spend £30m if the deal was right, but I doubt we would over 2-3 signings at the £10-15m range. If we sold JWP I would be very surprised if we didn't spend a lot of money replacing him though. It's all very well buying players to develop but we need a core of quality to keep us up and keep us playing right and no one is more important to that than JWP.

10 minutes ago, Nolan said:

The difference between watching a press conference with and without rose tinted glasses I suppose.

I reckon my optimism is more accurate than your pessimism though.

What's your take on his press conference? What do you see differently?

Mine is, nothing really changes in terms of money available or the type of player will sign, but we can get our first choice instead of fighting for the scraps at the end of windows.

For this window we will sign two players, one who probably will stay at the club until the summer. Johnstone seems to fit that situation. The other will be a youngster like Delap.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think we could spend £30m if the deal was right, but I doubt we would over 2-3 signings at the £10-15m range. If we sold JWP I would be very surprised if we didn't spend a lot of money replacing him though. It's all very well buying players to develop but we need a core of quality to keep us up and keep us playing right and no one is more important to that than JWP.

yep, if you lose a senior player, perhaps a little earlier than you had planned, simply promoting the junior guy (Diallo in this case) might not always work if they are not ready - and in that situation, you may need to spend on a senior guy. Keepers maybe need to be treated slightly differently.

53 minutes ago, TWar said:

image.thumb.png.2d63b99fdb60d5590a894eb7d92d5860.png

Hope our new stat expert has looked at xG prevented last season. Might give a good push to replace McCarthy with Johnstone.

These stats heavily favour the goalkeepers who are effectively the busiest in matches. I know McCarthy would have been one of those, so he’s an anomaly, but Areola being the best in the league, now he’s West Ham’s number two. De Gea and Mendy aren’t the 16th and 17th ranked keepers in the league. Ederson isn’t behind Pope, Meslier, Dubravka, Leno and Sanchez.

This is why it’s a risk to sign goalkeepers in particular from relegated sides, as they work the hardest and get the most attention for making a save. McCarthy won our player of the season the year we almost went down and now we’re all looking for an improvement being the case in point. Johnstone was the hardest working last season, as West Brom conceded the most goals, we were second, conceding eight fewer. So, for Johnstone to feature ninth in that table, isn’t actually too good, as he conceded 26 more goals than Areola did, at a fellow relegated side. 13 more than Aaron Ramsdale did in an abject Sheffield United side.

As I’ve said before, Johnstone is 28, had one Premier League season in his career and went down and some West Brom fans will be happy to see him go at the end of the season, as we will with Forster and would have with McCarthy if the extension is true. 

On the other hand, Henderson was one of the key differences between Sheffield United finishing 9th, conceding 39 goals and then finishing 20th, conceding 63 goals without him. 

I just feel as though Johnstone will be another stop gap goalkeeper and we’ll be wanting a new one before we know it, as it will become apparent that he can do the simple saves, but can’t pull off the game winning ones, which is the current issue with our current two. 

18 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

These stats heavily favour the goalkeepers who are effectively the busiest in matches. I know McCarthy would have been one of those, so he’s an anomaly, but Areola being the best in the league, now he’s West Ham’s number two. De Gea and Mendy aren’t the 16th and 17th ranked keepers in the league. Ederson isn’t behind Pope, Meslier, Dubravka, Leno and Sanchez.

This is why it’s a risk to sign goalkeepers in particular from relegated sides, as they work the hardest and get the most attention for making a save. McCarthy won our player of the season the year we almost went down and now we’re all looking for an improvement being the case in point. Johnstone was the hardest working last season, as West Brom conceded the most goals, we were second, conceding eight fewer. So, for Johnstone to feature ninth in that table, isn’t actually too good, as he conceded 26 more goals than Areola did, at a fellow relegated side. 13 more than Aaron Ramsdale did in an abject Sheffield United side.

As I’ve said before, Johnstone is 28, had one Premier League season in his career and went down and some West Brom fans will be happy to see him go at the end of the season, as we will with Forster and would have with McCarthy if the extension is true. 

On the other hand, Henderson was one of the key differences between Sheffield United finishing 9th, conceding 39 goals and then finishing 20th, conceding 63 goals without him. 

I just feel as though Johnstone will be another stop gap goalkeeper and we’ll be wanting a new one before we know it, as it will become apparent that he can do the simple saves, but can’t pull off the game winning ones, which is the current issue with our current two. 

decent points. I don't seem to recall Johnstone being anything special. Busy, but no better than what we have. What is the average WBA fan's take on him?

De Gea has been pretty shit mind you for about three seasons.

7 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Bale would be giving up something like £15 million if he moved from Real in Jan. He'll go on a free in the summer and even then think there is a high chance he'll just retire. 

Agree on retirement, he hasn't seemed to have much interest in football at all for the last few years, apart from when playing for Wales. Maybe that fact alone could be enough to motivate him for a few more months? All depending on the playoffs of course, which look very tough. There's no chance we'd cover his wages, which are absurd at nearly 700k euros a week, but a loan deal where we chip about 50k a week for six months? Doesn't seem to be much in it for Real tho! I wonder how much Spurs were paying?

51 minutes ago, Chez said:

decent points. I don't seem to recall Johnstone being anything special. Busy, but no better than what we have. What is the average WBA fan's take on him?

De Gea has been pretty shit mind you for about three seasons.

De Gea has been very good this season. Have you actually watched him?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Christophenburg said:

He was confirmed about two and half hours ago

Villa are now after Brighton's Bissouma according to Sky. I can see Brighton getting a Southampton-style raiding after Poch left for a number of their better players this summer (if not in January).

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

16 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Villa are now after Brighton's Bissouma according to Sky. I can see Brighton getting a Pochettino Southampton-style raiding for a number of their better players this summer (if not in January).

That would be an incredible signing, but so would JWP or Smith-Rowe who they chased in the summer and didn't get, I think sometimes their targets are more ambitious than their outcomes.

36 minutes ago, macca155 said:

How the hell do you know that 😯

He makes a point of wearing plain black old school boots 😅

Also what should have really given it away that it wasn't bale was that the foreground player was shorter than the guy behind, and bale is a giant.

We are not signing Bale. People need to stop with this now 😅

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ones better than we have, other than Salisu they’re all far to prone to mistakes and lapses in concentration and even Salisu is young and rash at times

An abundance of average CBs still isn’t good enough

Maybe so, but whilst we've got Salisu, Bednarek, Stephens, Lyanco and Simeu we'll not be signing any CBs. Out of that lot Bednarek and Stephens would be the most likely to move on in the summer but cant even see that at the moment.

Cant see us signing a GK either now we've extended Caballero as it will be difficult to move either Forster or McCarthy on in this window.

If we were to make one signing it has to be a no10

10 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Maybe so, but whilst we've got Salisu, Bednarek, Stephens, Lyanco and Simeu we'll not be signing any CBs. Out of that lot Bednarek and Stephens would be the most likely to move on in the summer but cant even see that at the moment.

Cant see us signing a GK either now we've extended Caballero as it will be difficult to move either Forster or McCarthy on in this window.

Surely the same logic applies at the cb position to no10 but more so.

We have 5 competing for two roles at cb in lyanco, salisu, Stephens, bednarek, and simeu (maybe 6 with Valery but I think he will mainly play as cb in a back 3.)

In the number 10 role we have 7 not including some exciting youth prospects coming through in redmond, stu, djenepo, tella, elyounoussi, Walcott, and Smallbone

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

We have 5 competing for two roles at cb in lyanco, salisu, Stephens, bednarek, and simeu (maybe 6 with Valery but I think he will mainly play as cb in a back 3.)

In the number 10 role we have 7 not including some exciting youth prospects coming through in redmond, stu, djenepo, tella, elyounoussi, Walcott, and Smallbone

Unfortunately Stu Armstrong is the only one from those named that you could class as a “number 10” or has the attributes needed by a decent “number 10” 

The rest are wide men really 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Unfortunately Stu Armstrong is the only one from those named that you could class as a “number 10” or has the attributes needed by a decent “number 10” 

The rest are wide men really 

I think Elyounoussi, Redmond, and Tella all play well in the number 10 role as well. All often playing on the left most effectively despite being right footed.

Also, I don't think being better wide precludes you being good in our "10" role, our formation is quite flexible and sometimes the 10s can drift wide and the fullbacks cut in field to fill the 10 role.

14 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Strange that Saintsweb doesn't get a mention, I guess that falls in tier 6.

Turkish and co surely tier 1 or 2 for the recent takeover news? That would drag our average up? 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Alex Crook does well....

FH9VdFsXoAwe9u_.jpg

Gunna get flack for this but Alex Crook isn't always the worst source. He had a couple of massive high profile blunders but he has called a couple of things right, like he said we were looking at someone else when everyone else was saying we'd get Firpo and then everyone started saying it then we went for Perraud.

Definitely wouldn't put him higher than tier 3 but to put him two tier below football insider who are absolute bullshit merchants who pump out 5 bullshit stories a week in the summer and I can't remember getting anything right ever is not really fair.

55 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Isn’t the problem that our attacking midfielders are, by and large, wingers? Don’t really have anyone who is a natural in that central attacking position - possibly S Armstrong, but we also seem to play him on the flanks.

Yep. What we call a 10 isn't really a 10 (central link between midfield and attack) or a winger. Thus, we get wingers not great when they come inside, or midfielders lacking when they go outside, or strikers who have to adapt to alien role. I agree that our only natural is S Armstrong and all the others do a job there, except perhaps Redmond who's a better footballer than he's given credit for. I still don't know why we gave Walcott 2 years when he doesn't suit the position we ask him to play. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Yep. What we call a 10 isn't really a 10 (central link between midfield and attack) or a winger. Thus, we get wingers not great when they come inside, or midfielders lacking when they go outside, or strikers who have to adapt to alien role. I agree that our only natural is S Armstrong and all the others do a job there, except perhaps Redmond who's a better footballer than he's given credit for. I still don't know why we gave Walcott 2 years when he doesn't suit the position we ask him to play. 

If you are going to use Walcott he is better as one of the strikers. I use the word 'better in the mildest sense though.

4 hours ago, TWar said:

Not really. A CB is a CB.

We need a genuine no10, tadic type who plays between the lines. We've been crying out for a player like that since Tadic left. The majority of the players you've listed do not fit that mould. They're wingers or CMs who've been shoehorned into that no10 role, most unsuccessfully

• Like 1

15 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Stephens is out of contract in the summer. 

Agreed, but we could sign a keeper now, to avoid losing him to rivals, and loan him back until the end of the season.