January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Gerrards done an excellent job steadying the ship at villa, and overall I think our squads are pretty comparable, but Id say before these signings we edge it slightly

Digne is a serious signing, possibly the 2nd best LB in the league the last 2 years. 

Coutinho is going to be one of them, either James Rodriguez’ early Everton form or his late… but a loan with no obligation to buy is undisputedly good business

Is Ings better than our strike force? Im not convinced he is on current form

Villa could potentially be a force next year, they need a decent CB and DM, but overall its the beginning of a good side

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adriansfc said:

He's still a terrific player 

Is he? 

He's injury prone, completely lost his confidence, doesn't have any pace, doesn't particularly like to work or press and has failed at two big clubs. He hasn't been 'terrific' for about 5 years. 

He is also the biggest most expensive flop in history and his transfer (which he basically forced through) has played a large part in bankrupting one of the biggest clubs in the world, (whilst his old club basically turned into one of the best sides in the world without him) something that is likely to weigh heavily on him. 

He was also before his move to Liverpool a flop at Inter and only decent at Espanyol on loan, hence why we were in the running for him and why he was so cheap. He wasn't exceptional at Liverpool either for the first 2-3 years, took him a while to get going.

So actually in his whole career he basically has had a 3 season purple patch and those were under Klopp, a world class manager. (with some very good players around him). 

Even looking at his international career, he has scored 18 goals for Brazil of the years, but only one against a 'top' side, which was against Argentina, most of his goals have come against Ecuador or Bolivia or Costa Rica or Haiti etc. 

So his actual level across his career has not been 'terrific' at all and tends to suggest that his best spell was more 'form' than class. 

Now his failure at Barcelona was largely in part due to them not really knowing how to use him and playing him out of position, but then will Villa be able to fit him into that very specific position he was played at Liverpool? Bearing in mind they have already struggled to get Ings/Watkins working and have struggled to get the best out of Buendai who plays in a similar position or much off Bailey as well. 

All of the back of barely playing that much and just having an injury. 

He'll be a flop IMO, he'll maybe start well and then realise he's playing with the likes of Mings and Courtney Hause and El Ghazi, and he'll drop off, plus his teammates will get fed up carrying him as he doesn't have the work rate or the legs. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Is he? 

He's injury prone, completely lost his confidence, doesn't have any pace, doesn't particularly like to work or press and has failed at two big clubs. He hasn't been 'terrific' for about 5 years. 

He is also the biggest most expensive flop in history and his transfer (which he basically forced through) has played a large part in bankrupting one of the biggest clubs in the world, (whilst his old club basically turned into one of the best sides in the world without him) something that is likely to weigh heavily on him. 

He was also before his move to Liverpool a flop at Inter and only decent at Espanyol on loan, hence why we were in the running for him and why he was so cheap. He wasn't exceptional at Liverpool either for the first 2-3 years, took him a while to get going.

So actually in his whole career he basically has had a 3 season purple patch and those were under Klopp, a world class manager. (with some very good players around him). 

Even looking at his international career, he has scored 18 goals for Brazil of the years, but only one against a 'top' side, which was against Argentina, most of his goals have come against Ecuador or Bolivia or Costa Rica or Haiti etc. 

So his actual level across his career has not been 'terrific' at all and tends to suggest that his best spell was more 'form' than class. 

Now his failure at Barcelona was largely in part due to them not really knowing how to use him and playing him out of position, but then will Villa be able to fit him into that very specific position he was played at Liverpool? Bearing in mind they have already struggled to get Ings/Watkins working and have struggled to get the best out of Buendai who plays in a similar position or much off Bailey as well. 

All of the back of barely playing that much and just having an injury. 

He'll be a flop IMO, he'll maybe start well and then realise he's playing with the likes of Mings and Courtney Hause and El Ghazi, and he'll drop off, plus his teammates will get fed up carrying him as he doesn't have the work rate or the legs. 

Perhaps he will be given the free ranging Grealish role to regain his form , Gerrard should know him better than most . I don't know why Barca bought him for that insane fee then found there wasn't a place for a player of his style , he was out injured for a while as well .

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Wait is this the Villa transfer chat 🤣🤣

I think it's nice the forum has a new club to moon and drool over. Aren't Villa just simply wonderful with their dreams and ambition and just spunking money on famous name players who were good three years ago.

I always think a good guide to whether a player truly is world class can be assessed by one simple question:

a) Have they just been signed by Aston Villa?

The answer will tell you all you need to know.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

He has also played further forward for Liverpool but I agree, seems a strange one unless Livramento's injury was suddenly bad, and Ralph didnt seem as concerned today.

If he wants regular game time I don't think he would get that with us, apart from maybe for a couple of weeks now.

Edited by Dusic

I have to be honest, I think Neco Williams is dreadful.

We already have three right backs, I'd rather we just make do until Tino is fit again even if it means playing Stephens or Bednarek at RB. Neco would be a dreadful signing, especially since Liverpool sell really well so he'd be like £10m probably.

• Like 1

Walker-Peters and Valery are only going to miss one game, by Saturday we’ll be back to having two right back even with Liveramento unsure of return we’ve still got Ward Prowse or Stephens able to fill in there as a stop gap. Talk of signing another one is ridiculous. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 13

22 minutes ago, TWar said:

I have to be honest, I think Neco Williams is dreadful.

We already have three right backs, I'd rather we just make do until Tino is fit again even if it means playing Stephens or Bednarek at RB. Neco would be a dreadful signing, especially since Liverpool sell really well so he'd be like £10m probably.

We only have to 'make do' for 1 game, really don't see what the fuss is about. Too late already to do anything about tomorrow. 

I just read we might be looking at Joe Aribo from Rangers. Can't for the life of me see why he would come to us over Villa, unless he and Gerrard didn't get along. Sounds like me may be looking at bolstering CM though. 

• Like 1

I'd find it odd if we signed a RB, certainly permanently. We just find ourselves in an incredibly unlucky situation, we are pretty well stocked now yet we've still been struck down at full back. Adding another one to the mix just adds bloat to the squad and wage bill.

My opinion is that we just suck up the next week or two and come out of the other side.

Edited by S-Clarke

19 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Van De Beek cementing his move away from Utd this evening by the looks of it. 

Not even the fringe plans.......

From what I've seen of him, I'm not sure he's got the attitude or character I'd really want here.

You've got to look at yourself as a player when two managers don't include you in a side which is crying out for quality in CM. He's got more ability than McTominay or Fred, so there's something else at play with Van De Beek.

44 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

From what I've seen of him, I'm not sure he's got the attitude or character I'd really want here.

You've got to look at yourself as a player when two managers don't include you in a side which is crying out for quality in CM. He's got more ability than McTominay or Fred, so there's something else at play with Van De Beek.

Reckon he is a slightly better Clasie... difference being Utd paid c. £40m on him but that's loose change for United

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

One part of moneyball is to not sign players based on performance in short tournaments like this. 

Bro you'd ruin a 4yr olds birthday party, let's just have fun in the afcon, I still miss the days when the sangoma's would kill chickens on the pitch (not racism its now in the rules you can't) and el Hadj Diouf had his breakout tournament.

32 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Same as Henderson, not in squad 

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

Is he going out on loan maybe? Who to I wonder?

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Won’t happen, but he would be a brilliant signing. 

Manchester Evening News think Tottenham want him to replace Lloris (who is out of contract soon). 

He is on £125k per week, so doubt Saints will be going for him.

Edited by Matthew Le God

38 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Newcastle written all over it 

Newcastle do need a number 1. Dubravka isn't up to it really.

That'll probably be a summer signing for them though.

GK is a big signing for us though, getting it right can totally transform a side. The impact Martinez had at villa is testament to that.

Edited by S-Clarke

As McCarthy is seemingly signing a new contract we can only assume that we will be signing a young no2 keeper 'to push him' rather than an obvious first choice. Likely in the summer as we already have 3 senior keepers.

Otherwise we have the same situation as now where our backup keeper is one of the highest paid players, which for a club like Saints is clearly stupid.