January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Your opinion, I disagree. I like what I have seen of Lyanco so far although no doubt he is prone to the odd rash moment.

I feel more confident with Lyanco at the back (and Stephens) than Bednarek, who always looks scared sh1tless.

I hate what I see of Lyanco so far. His decision  making is woeful. All he does is gamble. He takes far too many risks. Scares me shitless. I also don't think he is very good in the air, which is Bednarek's strength. 

I'm not a big fan of Bednarek I should point out. I've said since day one that he just isn't quick enough. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TWar said:

People on this forum could suggest people, Caleta-Car, tosin, Worrall or whatever. But we don't know how much they would be, if they are keen on joining, wages, if the clubs are willing to sell etc. We want the scouting department that signed Tino, KWP, Salisu etc. to have the money at their disposal that we could get for Bednarek because we trust them to find a better defender.

We'll that's find and sign that player, then move Bednarek on. Selling him first and then hoping we can find a gem is high risk imo. Hopefully the new ownership gives us the cash flow to do that. 

I've never seen someone as petrified of the ball coming into the box as Bednarek.

Lyanco probably isn't top half quality but at least he's willing to chuck himself at the ball, has shown a bit of defensive nous, and most importantly for me - he knows when to fucking hoof it one.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Bednarek is pretty crap imo yet seems to escape a lot of the criticism aimed at some other players on here. He is as slow as Vestegaard, Bambi on ice with the ball at his feet and poor positionally and has been the mainstay of our awful defence that has shipped so many goals over the last few years. For me he is behind Stephens and Lyanco, I guess as a fourth choice he is fine but if we were offered £15M I'd snap their hands off, I can't imagine any other PL side being interested.

What we really need (probably in the summer) is a new starting quality CB to partner Salisu but as we already have 4 CBs (plus Simeu) we need to sell one first. 

I think this is a little harsh, he is quicker than Vestergaard, while still not rapid, is decently agile, and puts in a good tackle. I still think he is good enough to start for a relegation battling prem side, and £15m is about right for him.

I just think we actually have some really excellent players. Salisu, kwp, Tino, JWP, Romeu, and Broja all start for a top 8 side imo, and Adams and Stu when on form are both top half level. We just have some very very weak spots in second cb and goalkeeper and not great options at attacking mid when Stu is off form. We sign a top cb and a goalkeeper and we are a dark horse for europe

1 hour ago, Minsk said:

Same old anti-Ralph agenda. In what ways was Bednarek better pre-Ralph? Complete garbage.

22 minutes ago, TWar said:

Pre Ralph he had 5 starts behind Hoedt, Stephens and Vestergaard in a season and a half and then was a £4m signing from the Polish league (and fans at the time had no idea why we bought him). Now he is a starting prem cb and polish international.

To think he has "regressed" you'd need to be an idiot.

It’s actually not a ‘anti Ralph agenda’. I provide praise and criticism where I see fit, it just so happens that over the past year that has been very little to praise Ralph for. 

As it happens, I like him (Ralph) just didn’t (past tense, this season is a vast improvement, credit where it’s due) like his stubbornness and reluctance to move away from his preferred 4222 (shite imo) formation and at times, bordering bonkers subs. However, this isn’t a Ralph thread so I’ll leave it there. 

It potentially could be my memory failing me, but I thought he (Bednerak) broke into the side as a regular towards the back end of Hughes reign and then continued under Ralph where he was not spectacular, but solid enough and clearly an upgrade on Stephens. I’m not sure that’s still the case. Until the start of 2020 where he completely fell off a cliff. 

If that’s wrong, regarding breaking into the side under Hughes, I’ll hold my hands up but point stands, he’s not improved and has gotten worse over the past year. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

We'll that's find and sign that player, then move Bednarek on. Selling him first and then hoping we can find a gem is high risk imo. Hopefully the new ownership gives us the cash flow to do that. 

Hope so yeah, would be nice to not have to sell to buy. Either way round though, we don't need 5 cbs and Bednarek is the probably the most valuable of the ones I'd let go as they are below our level (or the level I'd like us to reach in the near future)

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

It’s actually not a ‘anti Ralph agenda’. I provide praise and criticism where I see fit, it just so happens that over the past year that has been very little to praise Ralph for. 

As it happens, I like him (Ralph) just didn’t (past tense, this season is a vast improvement, credit where it’s due) like his stubbornness and reluctance to move away from his preferred 4222 (shite imo) formation and at times, bordering bonkers subs. However, this isn’t a Ralph thread so I’ll leave it there. 

It potentially could be my memory failing me, but I thought he (Bednerak) broke into the side as a regular towards the back end of Hughes reign and then continued under Ralph where he was not spectacular, but solid enough and clearly an upgrade on Stephens. I’m not sure that’s still the case. Until the start of 2020 where he completely fell off a cliff. 

If that’s wrong, regarding breaking into the side under Hughes, I’ll hold my hands up but point stands, he’s not improved and has gotten worse over the past year. 

"I like Ralph"

"Ralph is a worse manager than the guy in charge of San marino"

Something doesn't add up bud.

Also it's one thing to forget that he didn't play under Hughes, but for you to claim he regressed you'd need to remember him playing better before, which he didn't.

"He started under Hughes" is an understandable factual error, "he was good under Hughes" shows that you are talking bollocks. Shows you make up opinions based on nothing, which makes sense really given your take on JWP (and other more embarrassing takes)

Edited by TWar
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

We sign a top cb and a goalkeeper and we are a dark horse for europe

We've been linked with Henderson, wonder what sort of deal we're looking at as his wages are supposed to be £100k. Would have thought he'd be just the ticket goalie wise.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-southampton-make-move-to-sign-henderson-as-man-united-u-turn-on-the-cards/

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

I suspect that for the duration of the loan Broja is a Southampton player, and unless Chelsea have a recall clause for this window he stays here. It is possible that Chelsea could still sell him to another team, effective from the end of the loan, but I doubt they would recall him to sell in this window as I don't think they need the money.

I suspect if someone came in for Broja they would have to pay Chelsea AND Southampton a transfer fee…..

6 minutes ago, st alex said:

We've been linked with Henderson, wonder what sort of deal we're looking at as his wages are supposed to be £100k. Would have thought he'd be just the ticket goalie wise.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-southampton-make-move-to-sign-henderson-as-man-united-u-turn-on-the-cards/

Henderson would be absolutely class. Probably set us back about £25-30m atleast and £120k+ wages so out of our price range but who knows with new owners. Also, their manager has publicly said he doesn't want to sell in this window which makes life tricky.

Interesting debate going on about centre halves this morning so thought I'd join in.

I actually think we are pretty well stocked in this position so don't think we need to buy unless there is a real bargain to be had or gem to be unearthed.   I prefer our CB options compared to most of the teams around us (and even prefer ours to West Ham's and Spurs).  What I particularly like is there are 4 who can all be relied on to take the shirt and they all bring something a little different.

Those wanting us to ship out Bednarek and 'upgrade' I just don't see that working or being a good idea.  Changing out settled members of a performing, happy squad is not going to do anything for the spirit we've seen over most of this season.  And I actually think Bednarek has been pretty decent this season.  Yes he had a dip second half of last season but frankly who didn't?  To say he's regressed under Ralph is just agenda-driven nonsense. And to say he's petrified of balls coming in the box is laughable.

Salisu is the current pin-up CB and is clearly our number 1.  He's fast and with good anticipation.  But he's still young and learning and actually in the last few games hasn't been quite as good.  But he's only going to get better.

Stephens has become much more dependable and solid.  He's also a good presence for the team.  And he is the most gifted at bringing the ball out of defence. I could see him (or Bednarek) asking to leave if they don't get the game time given where they are in their careers but that's the only scenario I can see for change (other than catastrophic injury).

Lyanco is very interesting.  Apart from being too early to tell how he'll turn out my initial thoughts is that he has all the tools.  If he can keep his head in a good place he could really develop into a top class defender.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Your opinion, I disagree. I like what I have seen of Lyanco so far although no doubt he is prone to the odd rash moment.

I feel more confident with Lyanco at the back (and Stephens) than Bednarek, who always looks scared sh1tless.

Seriously? I like Lyanco in a cult hero kind of way but no way given the choice between him and bednarek do I chose Lyanco.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TWar said:

Henderson would be absolutely class. Probably set us back about £25-30m atleast and £120k+ wages so out of our price range but who knows with new owners. Also, their manager has publicly said he doesn't want to sell in this window which makes life tricky.

I wonder what Forster's wages are considering he was an England keeper around the time he singed the last contract. Maybe £90k a week?

As a guide, Ramsdale joined Arsenal for £24m rising to £30m. 

A guy already on £125k a week doesn't feel like the type of signing we make. We shall see.

31 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Those wanting us to ship out Bednarek and 'upgrade' I just don't see that working or being a good idea.  Changing out settled members of a performing, happy squad is not going to do anything for the spirit we've seen over most of this season.  And I actually think Bednarek has been pretty decent this season.  Yes he had a dip second half of last season but frankly who didn't?  To say he's regressed under Ralph is just agenda-driven nonsense. And to say he's petrified of balls coming in the box is laughable.

Well said. This forum just loves to have a scapegoat and we have moved on from Long and Walcott and now Bednarek is in the firing line. Could we improve on him, sure but I have not seen a credible option suggestion on here.

The combination of being comfortable(ish) on the ball, aerial ability, no slouch and agility is quite tricky to find at a reasonable cost.

Caletta-Car is probably the best but I am not sure his wife wants to come to England. 

1 hour ago, TWar said:

"I like Ralph"

"Ralph is a worse manager than the guy in charge of San marino"

Something doesn't add up bud.

Also it's one thing to forget that he didn't play under Hughes, but for you to claim he regressed you'd need to remember him playing better before, which he didn't.

"He started under Hughes" is an understandable factual error, "he was good under Hughes" shows that you are talking bollocks. Shows you make up opinions based on nothing, which makes sense really given your take on JWP (and other more embarrassing takes)

Aye? 

When have I said “he was good under Hughes”? I specifically said in that post “not spectacular” and in a earlier post “not that I ever rated him anyway”. 

If you’re going to try and insult someone buy claiming “you make up opinions based on nothing”, I’d try not to completely make things up yourself. 

But for clarity, there was a period of time, between 2018-2019 where I though he was at a standard of being okay, solid enough as a PL CB for a team battling relegation, but someone we could improve on. Since then, I think he’s gotten worse and Stephens is arguably now a better option than him. 

As for the San Marino thing, it’s boring mate and again, made up. At no point did anyone claim the San Marino manager was better, it’s was pointing out that he was able to set a team of part time plumbers up in a defensive shape to not get hammered 9-0 (this a year or 2 ago and before England stuck 10 past them), which Ralph wasn’t with full time professionals. Clearly, Ralph is a better manager than him overall. The trouble is, in order for you to get 1 up, you need to take things out of context and/or make it up. Whereas your mishaps are on display for all. 

Play the post not the poster as it seems you’re heads gone after being shown up to look a complete fool over your assessment of Broja. 

Edited by Dman

28 minutes ago, Dman said:

Aye? 

When have I said “he was good under Hughes”? I specifically said in that post “not spectacular” and in a earlier post “not that I ever rated him anyway”. 

If you’re going to try and insult someone buy claiming “you make up opinions based on nothing”, I’d try not to completely make things up yourself. 

But for clarity, there was a period of time, between 2018-2019 where I though he was at a standard of being okay, solid enough as a PL CB for a team battling relegation, but someone we could improve on. Since then, I think he’s gotten worse and Stephens is arguably now a better option than him. 

As for the San Marino thing, it’s boring mate and again, made up. At no point did anyone claim the San Marino manager was better, it’s was pointing out that he was able to set a team of part time plumbers up in a defensive shape to not get hammered 9-0 (this a year or 2 ago and before England stuck 10 past them), which Ralph wasn’t with full time professionals. Clearly, Ralph is a better manager than him overall. The trouble is, in order for you to get 1 up, you need to take things out of context and/or make it up. Whereas your mishaps are on display for all. 

Play the post not the poster as it seems you’re heads gone after being shown up to look a complete fool over your assessment of Broja. 

You absolutely said that Ralph was a worse manager than the guy in charge of San marino. And I don't think Bednarek played once under Hughes in the 18-19 season, so how can you say he has regressed under Ralph on the basis of that?

Broja did better than I expected, that's fine, if I football could be predicted perfectly the gambling industry would be in shambles. This doesn't mean your takes of Ralph is worse than the manager of San marino, saints are in a worse position than pompey, JWP is mediocre, and Bednarek has regressed under Ralph when before Ralph he couldn't make it into one of the worst defences in the league, are anything more than thoroughly stupid takes from a guy who already had one account banned for being indistinguishable from a troll.

58 minutes ago, Dman said:

That’s my take on him aswell, but to be fair he has looked good in the last few games.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I wonder what Forster's wages are considering he was an England keeper around the time he singed the last contract. Maybe £90k a week?

As a guide, Ramsdale joined Arsenal for £24m rising to £30m. 

A guy already on £125k a week doesn't feel like the type of signing we make. We shall see.

I though Rangik wants to keep him.

2 hours ago, Yozzman said:

Well said. This forum just loves to have a scapegoat and we have moved on from Long and Walcott and now Bednarek is in the firing line. Could we improve on him, sure but I have not seen a credible option suggestion on here.

The combination of being comfortable(ish) on the ball, aerial ability, no slouch and agility is quite tricky to find at a reasonable cost.

Caletta-Car is probably the best but I am not sure his wife wants to come to England. 

Not sure he is being made a skapegoat, we're simply discussing his ability and if we could do better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yozzman said:

was that why he didn't join wolves last summer? They had a baby. Maybe it was bad timing. Wolves back in for him again it seems.

3 hours ago, TWar said:

You absolutely said that Ralph was a worse manager than the guy in charge of San marino. And I don't think Bednarek played once under Hughes in the 18-19 season, so how can you say he has regressed under Ralph on the basis of that?

Broja did better than I expected, that's fine, if I football could be predicted perfectly the gambling industry would be in shambles. This doesn't mean your takes of Ralph is worse than the manager of San marino, saints are in a worse position than pompey, JWP is mediocre, and Bednarek has regressed under Ralph when before Ralph he couldn't make it into one of the worst defences in the league, are anything more than thoroughly stupid takes from a guy who already had one account banned for being indistinguishable from a troll.

Are you okay? Do I need to explain again that it may have been my memory failing me and if so, I’ll hold my hands up…. 

For the benefit of the thread, don’t respond. 

18 hours ago, Chez said:

Not sure he is being made a skapegoat, we're simply discussing his ability and if we could do better. 

Of course we could do better if we had more financial resources and the ability to sign top class players with the promise of European football but at the moment we do not

We are a bottom mid table club with bottom mid table players who have been given contracts by the club but constantly discussing their abilities is not going to make them better.

I my opinion SFC have not signed a decent experienced top class PL player for sometime apart from possibly KWP we sign inxperienced young players who are prone to make errors 

15 minutes ago, John B said:

I my opinion SFC have not signed a decent experienced top class PL player for sometime apart from possibly KWP we sign inxperienced young players who are prone to make errors 

Walker-Peters was 22 years old and had only played in 12 Premier League games when Saints first signed him. I don't think that counts as experienced!

23 minutes ago, John B said:

Of course we could do better if we had more financial resources and the ability to sign top class players with the promise of European football but at the moment we do not

We are a bottom mid table club with bottom mid table players who have been given contracts by the club but constantly discussing their abilities is not going to make them better.

None of that has any bearing on the discussion as to whether we could do better with the funds brought in through his sale. We bought him for £5m. Sell him for £15m (for example) and maybe we can sign a better player than we did.

Of course our chat changes nothing, but I have no idea why you come to a forum if it is not to discuss the abilities of players at the club. 

2 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Over January and the summer ideally - Broja, a no10, a starting CB and keeper. 

4 signings to really improve us. Probably get rid of Long, Walcott, Djenepo, one of the CBs, Valery and McCarthy and/or Forster. 

No rush for January though. Newcastle, Watford and Burnley are so bad I think we're just a few wins from safety anyway. Can see one of them staying up on about 32/33 points. 

I'd add depth at CM as well, 3 senior cms isn't enough, if Smallbone steps up well in that position before the end of the season it is less important though. 

Nixon is only ever on the money once something has officially been announced, he’s on par with Crooks.

Broja permanent I’d take this window.

A starting CB, a starting GK and an actually good winger/attacking mid needs to be priority this summer.

Should have a sniff around players that are out of contract this summer.

On a side note I find it amusing how Everton allowed Rafa Benitez to meddle with transfers bringing in a new full back, signing El Ghastly on loan and then sacking him days later. 😂

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Nixon linked us with Bayo of Clermont FC centre forward 

Haven't heard of him but 9 goals and 2 assists in 16 games in the French league is pretty good. Only 23, 6ft 2 but hasn't scored many many headers, looks to be quite right footed based on his position he scored goals from.

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

Nixon is only ever on the money once something has officially been announced, he’s on par with Crooks.

A starting CB, a starting GK and an actually good winger/attacking mid needs to be priority this summer.

On a side note I find it amusing how Everton allowed Rafa Benitez to meddle with transfers bringing in a new full back, signing El Ghastly on loan and then sacking him days later. 😂

Nixon occasionally has a good scoop. He announced Jeremi rodrigues when the club didn't even bother to and no one else knew! Was a bit off the money with Armstrong this summer though, was convinced he was off to Palace.

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Nixon linked us with Bayo of Clermont FC centre forward 

I've not seen him play but I believe he was top scorer in the second division last season as they got promoted, and has continued to score goals in the top flight this season.

Maybe we're looking at him as an alternative if we're unable to keep Broja.

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Talking of players out of contract in the summer, there are some potentially great players available.

Andre Onana, the Ajax goalkeeper, would be a massive upgrade.

Luiz Felipe, centreback at Lazio is good on the ball and only 24, would be an upgrade on both Stephens and Bednarek. 

Bit more ambitious at CB would be Romagnoli from AC Milan who at 27 would also bring experience that we are, in my opinion, severely lacking in that position. 

Brereton Diaz is someone that gets talked about a lot and he too is out of contract. 20 goals so far in all competitions this season for Blackburn. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Talking of players out of contract in the summer, there are some potentially great players available.

Luiz Felipe, centreback at Lazio is good on the ball and only 24, would be an upgrade on both Stephens and Bednarek. 

Bit more ambitious at CB would be Romagnoli from AC Milan who at 27 would also bring experience that we are, in my opinion, severely lacking in that position. 

Brereton Diaz is someone that gets talked about a lot and he too is out of contract. 20 goals so far in all competitions this season for Blackburn. 

Onana has gone to Inter mate

27 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Thought BB had an option to extend Diaz’s contract?

6 hours ago, TWar said:

Newcastle after Robin Gosens, would be an incredible signing if they pull it off.

Hes been out for four months and not due back until mid-February maybe later. Very good player but they really need some new blood in that lineup now

The newspaper reports are saying so many players are or are not coming to Newcastle.

They are suddenly becoming my most hated team and I would love it if they get relegated. Just throwing money at oldies to get them out of short term trouble. Trippier, Howe and probably Woods will be sold/sacked next season.

I think Newcastle will get a couple more players in on short term deals for obscene amounts of money just before the end of the window.

I also think Newcastle will stay up regardless, I just see Burnley, Watford and Norwich being worse teams.

Aside from a player being paid disgusting amounts of cash they’ve also got to be thinking for the good of their career, one wrong transfer for the sake of a pay day could break some of their careers. 
And Newcastle, as much as they’ve been better under Howe, are still extremely poor. Like Man United they can bring in as many good individuals as they want, but there is no guarantee they will be any good at playing together.

Another Everton in the long run, another QPR in the short term.