January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Instead of who? Ward-Prowse or Romeu? McGinn wouldn't play in the Romeu role... so his competition is Ward-Prowse and I wouldn't be playing McGinn rather than Ward-Prowse. 

Instead of Diallo obviously.

Livramento JWP Romeu McGinn KWP

Broja             Adams

54 minutes ago, egg said:

What's all this McGinn nonsense? Has he been linked to us? 

The January window thread is being used to discuss all prem business and not just ours as we are having a very quiet window, happens reasonably often

• Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 09:33, Dusic said:

Because its not Football Manager, its real life.

As it would be McCarthy's third contract with us and he has been our no1 for about 3 years I would imagine he is on a first team regulars wage.

No chance he will be accepting less money this time around, so he will be getting paid a first team GK wage.

I am 99% sure whichever GK we sign will be on less cash than McCarthy.

Who said anything about Football Manager? He is out of contract in the summer, so what he is on now is irrelevant, on July 1st his wage will be 0. We will offer him backup wages because we want him to be our backup GK, if he doesn't accept the offer because he wants first 11 wages we let him go and get someone else. There is no shortage of cheap backup GKs on the market.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I wouldn't say we are in absolutely desperate need for any player in this window. If we coikmd somehow sign up Broja then I'd be happy with that tbh. An attacking midfielder would also be nice but it's not vital like our fonte replacement was that one January. 

Yeah I agree, we have 2 players for every position if you include Valery and Smallbone in those squad numbers.

Mind you, I’d love to upgrade at GK, CB, wide No. 10 and find an alternative to Romeu but January isn’t the easiest window to find good deals. 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I wouldn't say we are in absolutely desperate need for any player in this window. If we coikmd somehow sign up Broja then I'd be happy with that tbh. An attacking midfielder would also be nice but it's not vital like our fonte replacement was that one January. 

Yep, we're not desperate anywhere which is a great place to be. Apart from RB, we could arguably upgrade in all positions, but there's nothing vital like you say. 

I know we're more financially secure and dont need to rely on it as much but we've got another loan to use up dont we? Although not from Chelsea obviously. We did pull the Minamino deal out of nowhere last January so wonder what we have up our sleeve - perhaps one of the City kids Delap or McAtee

3 hours ago, TWar said:

John Mcginn is decidedly not a 10.

I don't, I just think a lot of their players are overrated as people didn't notice how much Grealish carried them. They are a mid table side who people think is European level for absolutely no reason.

But maybe push JWP to a more 10 position or further ahead of where he would normally be positioned? in a 3 midfield and put redmond on the bench.

35 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

But maybe push JWP to a more 10 position or further ahead of where he would normally be positioned? in a 3 midfield and put redmond on the bench.

I think hard work, pressures, interceptions, and putting in tackles is the best part of JWPs game. Before Ralph turned up he was a right mid or more attacking player and he was much worse at it as he doesn't have the pace or trickery to beat his man.

JWP is pretty level headed and will only go to one of the top three. His next move needs to be for CL football and regular tilts at trophies. His eyes will be firmly on an England place. By signing that contract he has guaranteed Saints big money.

Whilst I don't want him to go, he has been a great servant and if that opportunity arrives then he needs to take it. It's a short career and Saints cannot take him to the next level just yet.

My hope is that we have him for next season. The position has to become available, with the realistic prospect of regular football. I can't see that yet but a lot can happen in the summer.

9 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Utd are a mess but JWP would mark a move to what they should be doing rather than what they have been doing. Not big name player to their fans but results would suddenly get a lot better. Their central midfield has been terrible for a long time. 

If they went and got JWP and Rice or McGinn though, they'd suddenly have a well balanced team. 

Its weird seeing other teams comments on JWP. They so clearly haven't watched him much. Most I see make out he's a no10 who doesn't score enough. Whereas he's basically James Milner with Beckham's set pieces. He'd be an asset for any club out there just for his energy levels, pressing, interceptions and being half decent on the ball. 

Yeh over a whole season I think he'd be far more valuable to them than Pogba ever has been and would probably be on half the wages. Aside from size he is basically a better McTominay, and also has world class set pieces. 

But I think 'big name player' is the issue, you have to wonder whether shirts sold and appeal in asia plays a role in their recruiting process at times, because the Glazers seem happy to just have a club that makes lots of money, not a successful one. 

I don't think we are going to sell him anytime soon, certainly not this summer, I am more interested whether he is going to push his way into the England team. 

10 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

It's funny they deemed Fred a big name, but I guess CL experience, Brazil international and £50m. But he's a high energy box to box player who (while not bad) is inferior to JWP in nearly every aspect of his game. 

McTominay isn't bad either but there's no way I'd swap him for Romeu. Both strong defensive mids, neither good enough for their ambitions. Matic hasn't been good enough in a couple of years now, wouldn't swap him now for any of our main 3 CMs. After that they're just shoehorning no10s into central midfield and it doesn't work.

Early season Pogba was brilliant playing no10 coming in from the left. They could have him and Fernandes at no10s in the 4222 and they have the perfect forwards in Rashford/Sancho/Greeenwood who can drift wide. But they're stuck with Ronaldo and all tactics need to fit him.  

Fascinated by how many clubs just spend or appoint managers with little regard to strategy. Everton has been worst I think, especially if they appoint Martinez! £500m after sacking him for being rubbish. I'm sorry but doing just fine with Belgium's best ever squad doesn't change being a rubbish premier league manager. There's a reason international football is full of second rate managers now. Benitez selling Rodriguez and Digne and removing half the staff before being sacked is incredibly funny though. Massive club.

I wonder if other teams fans talk about us with so much detail and knowledge ?

Or are they more likely to not give a f**k ?

24 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Are neutral fans less likely to be knowledgeable or interested in Southampton than Man Utd?

Hmmmm. Let me think now.... 🤔

56 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

They are one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the world, they dominated the football picture for fans of clubs in England for nearly 20 years under Fergie, so seeing them fail despite their huge wealth I'd imagine is quite funny and interesting for most neutral fans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adriansfc said:

Yep. I find it fascinating seeing clubs with big money fail miserable. Partly as it's funny in many cases, but also just how bad the strategy or lack thereof can be in these massive organisations. 

And it is very relevant to Saints. We'll never be the biggest or richest, but the constant incompetence of many clubs means we always stand a chance. It means we can be top flight for years, top half fairly regularly and still give top sides a good game most times. It seems like big money at some clubs just encourages stupid decisions. 

Not that we've been free of stupid decisions in the last 10years.

Edited by waylander

15 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I think its very unlikely we're signing Dean Henderson this window (given United's keeper backups).

I had to Google it. I totally forgot that Tom Heaton was seeing out his career with a big club third choice keeper contract.

Henderson is going nowhere. He might want a move, but United are never gojng to allow it in January. 

• Like 1

Think they were expecting to flog De Gea the summer he returned from Sheff Utd, and that didn't happen for whatever reason.  Understandably he wants out, but sure they'll be a long list of clubs wanting him, that can afford his wages. I'd be absolutely shocked if he comes to Saints but never say never!

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I had to Google it. I totally forgot that Tom Heaton was seeing out his career with a big club third choice keeper contract.

Henderson is going nowhere. He might want a move, but United are never gojng to allow it in January. 

He may well want a move and even if United allowed it I'm sure he'll have better/richer suitors than Saints.

8 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

He may well want a move and even if United allowed it I'm sure he'll have better/richer suitors than Saints.

I am surprised we are so strongly linked. I guess we will offer him clear first choice football. But then so might others, and some (Newcastle) will frankly blow saints out of the water wage wise.

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

How reliable is Dean Jones?

Dunno tbh. Blue check mark, 87K followers, and is followed by Simon Peach means he probably isn't a total chancer but that's all I could ascertain. Also has "fulham" in his bio so that might help.

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

Dunno tbh. Blue check mark, 87K followers, and is followed by Simon Peach means he probably isn't a total chancer but that's all I could ascertain. Also has "fulham" in his bio so that might help.

Cheers. I know for a fact we wanted him a while ago but also know LOTS of clubs do as well.

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Cheers. I know for a fact we wanted him a while ago but also know LOTS of clubs do as well.

To be fair, this is one rumour which hasn't gone away in a long time. It crops up most windows, sounds like we've been all over this for a long time.

Ralph said that we will be able to act 'quicker' on signings now as well, who knows...we may attempt to get him this month before he is available on a free in the summer. Fabio himself will know there is a genuine pathway here to be a superstar if you're good enough.

Fulham supporting friend of mine said he’s a good player but has stalled a bit this season, Co-incidentally since all the contract talk.

Thinks he’s got a bit above himself and has gone through the motions a little bit. Suspect that’s a bit of sour grapes that they’re going to lose him.

41 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I wonder if we are one of the clubs that are interested in Eriksen. 

Apparently the smart money is on Brentford because of the Danish connection, but that did get me thinking about our very own recently acquired Danish connection that also has connections to Brentford. Wishful thinking probably because I haven't seen us come up in connection with Eriksen even in the wilder parts of the transfer rumour internet.