January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, danjosaint said:

Can't remember who but an ex pro said before season started that Keane Lewis Potter was the one to watch this season 

Seems we're keen to add to our double barrel contingent, follows on from the links with Loftus Cheek and Maitland Niles in previous windows

Not too bothered by this news - we’ve trod the buy exciting young gk path a lot recently with Lewis / Gunn / Gazzaniga etc and I don’t see us having much success in coaching them to be better. I know it’s not in line with our strategy but for this position we need to buy at prime and have an older back up, gks develop much later and it’s really tricky to give them game exposure. The only young gk I can ever remember us improving was Flowers 30 yrs ago (and even he had a very ropey period which in todays game would have been dropped).

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Not too bothered by this news - we’ve trod the buy exciting young gk path a lot recently with Lewis / Gunn / Gazzaniga etc and I don’t see us having much success in coaching them to be better. I know it’s not in line with our strategy but for this position we need to buy at prime and have an older back up, gks develop much later and it’s really tricky to give them game exposure. The only young gk I can ever remember us improving was Flowers 30 yrs ago (and even he had a very ropey period which in todays game would have been dropped).

Maybe having a different GK coach might have a bearing. 

50 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Linked with Spurs now. On paper, would’ve been a good signing.

If we were going for 2 GKs in the summer then I think he would make a lot of sense, however as it looks like McCarthy is staying I suspect (hope) well be going for a more ready made number 1.

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

If we were going for 2 GKs in the summer then I think he would make a lot of sense, however as it looks like McCarthy is staying I suspect (hope) well be going for a more ready made number 1.

Maybe we will let our youth keeper go and then it makes more sense. 

Wolves replaced Patricio with Sa in the summer for £8m, despite initial question marks he’s now one of the better goalkeepers in the league. We just need to be more adventurous/better with our scouting, rather than strictly sticking to the domestic market when to comes to goalkeepers. As I’ve said previously, Boruc and Niemi are the two best goalkeepers I’ve seen here and neither had Premier League experience. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Wolves replaced Patricio with Sa in the summer for £8m, despite initial question marks he’s now one of the better goalkeepers in the league. We just need to be more adventurous/better with our scouting, rather than strictly sticking to the domestic market when to comes to goalkeepers. As I’ve said previously, Boruc and Niemi are the two best goalkeepers I’ve seen here and neither had Premier League experience. 

Completely agree, i want none of that domestic keeper bullshit.

England have had goalkeeper issues for years, the load of them are overated. The only one i’d be happy with is Henderson, but he would come at an expensive price so I m much rather go for an overseas one, let s just get our scouting right for that.

Last season I suggested Juan Musso who was at Udinese. He moved to Atalanta and the guy is having a very good season. Would be way too expensive now.

But i m sure there a few under the radar gems out there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I like the profile of Florian Mueller at Stuttgart, age/skills etc.

Any goalkeeping experts on here got an informed suggestion of a goalkeeper in europe who would fit our needs ?

Bartłomiej Drągowski is someone the club has tracked, there were links to him in the summer and maybe before that. Plays for Foirentina, seems to have been injured a fair bit this season to be fair.

• Like 2

I wonder if the recent good form will turn the “we’ll definitely bring a couple in” to “we’re happy with what we’ve got”.

Definitely don’t need any panic signings, so it’s only players for the future we should be looking at. Still hopeful of bedding in a keeper for 6 months and also maybe a winger. 

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

For some of us, 24 is 'youth'.

Only when they come from our academy. The anger that was directed toward the club when Sims, Hesketh and Gallagher were realised was embarrassing and as per, time has proved the club right.

Our academy is the victim of it's own success in a way because every player that comes through it, people insist on getting chance after chance after chance in the hope they're going to be the next Gareth Bale, even when it's quite obvious (as it was for a long time with the aforementioned trio) that they're just not good enough. It stunts their development too.

There's probably some that are still insisting Jason St Juste get given a 'fair chance'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I wonder if the recent good form will turn the “we’ll definitely bring a couple in” to “we’re happy with what we’ve got”.

Definitely don’t need any panic signings, so it’s only players for the future we should be looking at. Still hopeful of bedding in a keeper for 6 months and also maybe a winger. 

I hope not. It's the one area we are weakest in.

Forster's made some good saves but yesterday's goal is partly on him as was Wolves' second last week. Personally I think McCarthy deals with both of those but maybe wouldn't have made other saves Forster did. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I hope not. It's the one area we are weakest in.

Forster's made some good saves but yesterday's goal is partly on him as was Wolves' second last week. Personally I think McCarthy deals with both of those but maybe wouldn't have made other saves Forster did. 

The Wolves goal was certainly on him, but not sure yesterdays was his fault or that McCarthy would deal with it either.  I'd be very surprised if we brought a keeper in in this window. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chez said:

The Wolves goal was certainly on him, but not sure yesterdays was his fault or that McCarthy would deal with it either.  I'd be very surprised if we brought a keeper in in this window. 

It wasn't his fault, which is why I said it was partly on him.

He came, stopped, didn't go back fully. If he'd have stayed or committed forward the header becomes more difficult. His dithering made it a much easier finish than it needs to be.

If we're playing a high line you need the keeper to be spot on. I don't recall us letting one in from that type of phase of defensive play when McCarthy was in goal. 

A new keeper could be worth something like 7 or 8 points a season to us, that's the situation we're in.

30 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Johnstone from WBA would be a great signing.

I don’t play Football Manager so I know very little about any Carlos Catchaball’s on the Continent.

He's an upgrade but not a massive one. Generally a very good shot stopper but his kicking really isn't great so we wouldn't be in a much better position distribution wise.

Got sent off for his part in a post match melee with Cardiff a few weeks ago so has been suspended since. Didn't do particularly well on their goal either.

He's also a bit error prone. Imagine pelters McCarthy would get if he did what Johnstone did against Derby recently.

I'd personally go all out for Henderson in the summer. Will cost loads more than Johnstone in transfer fee and wages but is far superior. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Any goalkeeping experts on here got an informed suggestion of a goalkeeper in europe who would fit our needs ?

Stefan Ortega of Arminia Bielefeld. Out of contract in the summer too. Kicker rated him as the 5th best GK both last season and the first half of this season. Distribution is one of his biggest strengths.

https://www.kicker.de/bundesliga-sommer-2021/torwart/rangliste

https://www.kicker.de/bundesliga-winter-2021-22/torwart/rangliste

https://fbref.com/en/players/c1242d4e/scout/365_euro/Stefan-Ortega-Scouting-Report

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Stefan Ortega of Arminia Bielefeld. Out of contract in the summer too. Kicker rated him as the 5th best GK both last season and the first half of this season. Distribution is one of his biggest strengths.

https://fbref.com/en/players/c1242d4e/scout/365_euro/Stefan-Ortega-Scouting-Report

Played against Frankfurt on BT on Friday night, winning 2-0 and receiving the plaudits in what was seen as an upset and a match Frankfurt dominated. Was the first time I had seen him play and wasn’t sure if it was a one off, as they are 14th in the Bundesliga with 21 points from 20 matches, but he definitely looked good on Friday! To add to the articles, the commentators said him and Neur were the standout Bundesliga goalkeepers, which again, I wasn’t sure if it was just hyperbole. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Given Ralphs knowledge of the Bundesliga, bit surprised we havent signed anyone (permanently) from that league. Barely been linked with anyone as well

7 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

A name I read on here at one point was Predrag Rajković at Reims. Thought he might have moved on but a quick google and he's still there. Happens to be Serbian.

1 hour ago, Cartman said:

First thing I read about him is his age, 30 later in the year which might rule him out. Personally I'd prefer an experienced GK, but we all know our targets tend to be younger with 'potential'.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

First thing I read about him is his age, 30 later in the year which might rule him out. Personally I'd prefer an experienced GK, but we all know our targets tend to be younger with 'potential'.

Goalkeepers can probably be an exception to that rule though, they can go on much longer than an outfield player.

Sam Johnstone, rumoured target, is actually 29 himself.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Goalkeepers can probably be an exception to that rule though, they can go on much longer than an outfield player.

Sam Johnstone, rumoured target, is actually 29 himself.

I'd agree but whether it fits in with the club's policy remains to be seen. Interesting point re Johnstone though.

27 minutes ago, Badger said:

Don't think our cradle snatching policy would be applied so strictly to a GK on a free transfer.

Edited by Cartman

It’s certainly been amazingly quiet. I guess I might happily settle for simply holding on to what we have. The keeper situation isn’t ideal, but can wait for the summer.

The depth of the squad is pretty damned good at the moment. Certainly not easy to see an area we could improve without spending mega bucks.

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

West Ham sniffing around Broja according to the Echo. Not sure how it works out with the loan to us if they put in an acceptable bid. Guess they can still sell him regardless of the loan to us. 

As ever, the irritating thing with them is they have the money.

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

West Ham sniffing around Broja according to the Echo. Not sure how it works out with the loan to us if they put in an acceptable bid. Guess they can still sell him regardless of the loan to us. 

I don't think they can do that half way through the season, for the same reason they can't recall him.

Let's face it though, if he knows WH are going to put a big bid in for him in the summer then there's no chance we're gonna sign him permanently now 😥

7 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't think they can do that half way through the season, for the same reason they can't recall him.

Let's face it though, if he knows WH are going to put a big bid in for him in the summer then there's no chance we're gonna sign him permanently now 😥

Unless Chelsea are looking for a CB!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

We can offer him the money too. He's rich either way. If he goes to West Ham it's because it's London and they'll likely offer European football. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if WHU missed out on euro footy altogether this season. Very tight up there and games in hand to be played. That would be favourable!

• Like 1

Do you think we will be getting anyone in? How is the right back situation looking regarding Livramento. Reason I ask is we were scouting that Calvin Ramsay lad at Aberdeen, Bologna going to stick a 3 million bid in surely we should aswell? if he is highly rated. 

I still think we are also missing a creative tadic type player who can link the attack.