January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Why don’t you respond to the questions I’ve asked? You know, offering an opinion? Which is, as you keep reminding everyone, what a forum is about?

Forum doesn’t need a milk monitor.

I did answer the question. You can't grasp the answer was in that post. The question was flawed, I used an example to highlight the flaw in the question.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

I did answer the question. You can't grasp the answer was in that post. The question was flawed, I used an example to highlight the flaw in the question.

Again, you haven’t - I will ask them again for you.

Do you think we have a chance
 of signing him (for ease of reference, I am talking about Dele Alli)?

What would your thoughts/opinions be on Alli as a signing for Southampton Football Club? Good? Bad? Meh?

Go on, take a break from being a pedantic tosser and give us your thoughts as a fan.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Think I would prefer us to concentrate on Carvalho than Alli. Carvalho fits the profile we look for and seems like an exciting prospect. Lots of question marks over Alli although definitely a player when on form. Both are implausible though………

I feel the Carvalho ship has sailed to be honest, feels like Liverpool are all over that for the summer. Might be wrong, but it just feels a longshot now. 

Shame we didn't have any finances 18 months ago, we could have pushed harder then.

5 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Think I would prefer us to concentrate on Carvalho than Alli. Carvalho fits the profile we look for and seems like an exciting prospect. Lots of question marks over Alli although definitely a player when on form. Both are implausible though………

Depends on the deal to be honest. If it is a straight choice with same wages, contract length, fee, etc. I'd have Alli 100%. Given it won't be and Alli will want much more wages and probably only be here 6 months I'd have Carvalho on a longer deal.

To step away from another back and forth saga on SW, utterly thrilling as it is.

I think Deli Alli would be a great signing if we could get him. Still only 25 and was tearing up the league before Maureen went to Spurs. I think he'd fit our system well, he is very dynamic, can score goals, pass and cross the ball well. He could be what we are missing in midfield where we continually shuffle in and out the likes of Redmond, Ely, Walcott, Djenepo etc. He's a massive upgrade on all of those. Alongside a fully fit Stu we could be killer!

My only concerns would be defensively and his temperament.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 2

It feels like Minamino all over again. Could be amazing. Could struggle. Either way won’t be here next season, so the question is whether the cost is worth the potential. 
I suspect he’ll leave Spurs at the end of the season as it’s clearly not working there for him, so we’re at best a shop window for him. No real harm in that if he performs brilliantly for us and doesn’t get in the way of a player we want to develop for the longer term. 

8 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Think I would prefer us to concentrate on Carvalho than Alli. Carvalho fits the profile we look for and seems like an exciting prospect. Lots of question marks over Alli although definitely a player when on form.  Both are implausible though………

Ohhh know , this will get MLG going again . 
You do realise you’ll have to explain why now. This is how it all started above. All over a stupid question that really didn’t need to be asked or matter to anyone but MLG.

8 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

To step away from another back and forth saga on SW, utterly thrilling as it is.

I think Deli Alli would be a great signing if we could get him. Still only 25 and was tearing up the league before Maureen went to Spurs. I think he'd fit our system well, he is very dynamic, can score goals, pass and cross the ball well. He could be what we are missing in midfield where we continually shuffle in and out the likes of Redmond, Ely, Walcott, Djenepo etc. He's a massive upgrade on all of those. Alongside a fully fit Stu we could be killer!

My only concerns would be defensively and his temperament.

This.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Ohhh know , this will get MLG going again . 
You do realise you’ll have to explain why now. This is how it all started above. All over a stupid question that really didn’t need to be asked or matter to anyone but MLG.

Yeah, that’s why I did it. Boring little fucker hasn’t bitten yet.

17 minutes ago, TWar said:

Depends on the deal to be honest. If it is a straight choice with same wages, contract length, fee, etc. I'd have Alli 100%. Given it won't be and Alli will want much more wages and probably only be here 6 months I'd have Carvalho on a longer deal.

yeah, both deals have the potential to be very good and both have their risks. I’m always a little sceptical about the motivation of players like Alli who will probably feel he should be at a club with more chance of winning something and competing at the top end of the table. Course he could go the other way and rejuvenate his career but just feel more comfortable with getting talented kids who might have a little more desire. 

29 minutes ago, northam soul said:

I think I am even money to have a shit in the morning although if I could put money on it it would be 1/3.

Not that me putting money on it makes it any more likely but as my mrs cooked tonight the chances are good.

Hope that helps with the Deli signing odds.

You were 50/50 until I put laxative in your Horlicks.  Now the odds are 1/20 as using my ‘inside’ knowledge I have placed a series of substantial wagers on the timing of your next shit and those odds should tell you something big is going down in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't contributed on this forum for a while and must admit I get frustrated with the continual bickering. Fwiw, while MLG may get a bit pedantic and is easily drawn into arguments with certain others, he also makes some good points and it is frustrating that those who argue with him are as argumentative as he is. Is there any chance the lot of you can just calm it down a bit and try to have respectful debate without resorting to the slanging matches?

And so, getting back to the topics at hand...

Personally I have mixed feelings about Alli for many of the reasons that others have shared:

• At his best he was a key part of the England side - if we could sign him and he could rediscover that form that would be great.
  • He would not be the same type of player as Redmond, Djenepo or Elyonoussi - they are much more the sort of player to dribble past players, whereas his skills at their best are much more similar to those of Stuart Armstrong - positioning, timing, passing, forward momentum, etc. - though, of course, there are some overlaps.
  • There are big questions about whether he can rediscover his form.
  • He could block the development of players like Smallbone and others.
  • If he would accept the option of signing for us after a loan it would have to be on the basis of him taking a considerable cut in wages.

I agree that Carvalho would be a more likely signing - whether he would be a better signing in the short or long run remains to be seen. Nevertheless, with West Ham and Liverpool being linked I also doubt he will come to Saints.

I think it is more likely that if we make any signing this January they will be similar to the signings of Livramento and Small in the summer and/or signings like the one that is anticipated for Will Armitage from Cheltenham.

• Like 6

Lingard not going to Newcastle. Another rejection to add to their long list. Their billions not having the pull that the fans thought it would and other clubs pushing their asking prices up is pleasing to see. Might change in the summer if they stay up, but then again which top quality player would want to play under Eddie Howe and Jason Tindall 😂. They need a top manager before they can really push on

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:
  • He would not be the same type of player as Redmond, Djenepo or Elyonoussi - they are much more the sort of player to dribble past players,

If only that were true.

As for Alli, at his best he was a Le Tiss-style dribbler. Never seemed to be moving all that fast, but extremely good close control. Would back him to take the ball around an opponent above all of those three.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Lingard not going to Newcastle. Another rejection to add to their long list. Their billions not having the pull that the fans thought it would and other clubs pushing their asking prices up is pleasing to see. Might change in the summer if they stay up, but then again which top quality player would want to play under Eddie Howe and Jason Tindall 😂. They need a top manager before they can really push on

And they're linked with Brighton's Dan Burn and Liverpool's Nat Phillips. Hardly players to wow their fans. Deadline day next Monday will be interesting as Newcastle dominate the crap out of it. For a change it may be worth watching, even if it's just for the lols.

Movement for Saints? Well one Minamino-esque AM loan signing would probably do us if anything. We're at that point where the squad is actually quite strong and versatile, so really only first teamers better than what we have should be brought in. I like Alli, we can all see that the lad has quality as he's shown before - maybe a change of scenery would do him good. 

• Like 1

Romano’s become the most reliable for all transfer news over the past year. Although, he hasn’t used his cringey little phrase this time… Hopefully it isn’t another “Ings is signing a new contract…” situation.

Some people are rewriting history with Alli. He didn’t become bad under Mourinho’s management. It started when Pochettino was there. He was one of a number of Tottenham players who were playing well below par, leading to his sacking. Although, he wasn’t the only one blamed. He’s also been given a chance by each of Mourinho, Nuno and Conte since, but hasn’t rediscovered his form. But, if he wasn’t a risk, then he wouldn’t be linked here. 

Newcastle have played their wealth card very poorly. If they were smart, they would have given Ashley an extra few million to stay in charge until the end of the window and then making signings through him. Instead, they’ve told the world they’re the richest club and now any player/club they go to will add an extra premium of say £20million for their star players to go there, especially given their position in the table takes away some negotiation power. Dan Burn is one of the worst defenders in this league, worse than all ours. 

13 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Betting transfer odds do not reflect the liklihood of an event happening.  They reflect the amount of money placed by punters reading rumours and bookies trying to make as much money as possible. 

What about horse racing odds ? Do they reflect the chance of a horse winning a particular race ? Here is a clue: if you answer 'no,' you are wrong.

Of course they do- the bets reflect many factors, including the form of the horse, jockey, and trainer, the course and distance, and the 'going'. All factors that affect the horse's chances, and therefore reflected in the betting patterns.

As for transfer odds, people bet with the anticipation of winning. So the more money is placed, the greater the groundswell opinion amongst the punters that whatever they are backing will occur. It is only in outlier bets that the amount tendered distorts the 'book', generally a single large bet being placed where only a few smaller bets have currently been made: ( eg, after 100 bets of £10 have been made, you troll up and place £1000. If the original field had been 2000 bets of £10, your bet would not affect the odds as much, but the event would be more likely to happen, in the eyes of the punters ).

Edited by badgerx16

15 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Yes please! Also the fact he's best mates with KWP hopefully will swing it for us :)

Is this like when people guaranteed Cork wouldn't be sold because he's best mates with Bertrand?

Also, not sure why everyone's getting excited about the prospect of Deli Alli. He's technically better than what we have now admittedly because he's got some serious talent but his attitude stinks, he spends most of his time on the floor and he just generally comes across a bit of a dick. With that in mind, would he improve us? I'm not sure. If Poch, Mourinho and Conte can't motivate him I don't see what Ralph can offer in this situation. Also there's the wages, even if we shared them with Spurs they'd still be ridiculous - No thank you.

Edited by Instant Classic
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Romano’s become the most reliable for all transfer news over the past year. Although, he hasn’t used his cringey little phrase this time… Hopefully it isn’t another “Ings is signing a new contract…” situation.

Some people are rewriting history with Alli. He didn’t become bad under Mourinho’s management. It started when Pochettino was there. He was one of a number of Tottenham players who were playing well below par, leading to his sacking. Although, he wasn’t the only one blamed. He’s also been given a chance by each of Mourinho, Nuno and Conte since, but hasn’t rediscovered his form. But, if he wasn’t a risk, then he wouldn’t be linked here. 

Newcastle have played their wealth card very poorly. If they were smart, they would have given Ashley an extra few million to stay in charge until the end of the window and then making signings through him. Instead, they’ve told the world they’re the richest club and now any player/club they go to will add an extra premium of say £20million for their star players to go there, especially given their position in the table takes away some negotiation power. Dan Burn is one of the worst defenders in this league, worse than all ours. 

Agree about Newcastle; disagree about Dan Burn. Good, solid defender who also scores goals. Not slow despite his size. 

1 minute ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

If Broja was our player, would we except £25m ?

Probably not. But then, we wouldn't be in a position to include any kind of buy back clause in the event he turns out to be a 20+ goal a season striker.

That kind of agreement will be what might swing it for us.

7 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

Is this like when people guaranteed Cork wouldn't be sold because he's best mates with Bertrand?

Also, not sure why everyone's getting excited about the prospect of Deli Alli. He's technically better than what we have now admittedly because he's got some serious talent but his attitude stinks, he spends most of his time on the floor and he just generally comes across a bit of a dick. With that in mind, would he improve us? I'm not sure. If Poch, Mourinho and Conte can't motivate him I don't see what Ralph can offer in this situation. Also there's the wages, even if we shared them with Spurs they'd still be ridiculous - No thank you.

TWAR  keeps telling us that Ralph makes everyone a better player, so for that reason I’m in. 😁

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Probably not. But then, we wouldn't be in a position to include any kind of buy back clause in the event he turns out to be a 20+ goal a season striker.

That kind of agreement will be what might swing it for us.

Buy for £25m, Chelsea have a buy back option for £50m after two seasons?

Reckon that could work for all parties. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Maya's Dad said:

https://theathletic.com/news/crystal-palace-exploring-possibility-of-signing-donny-van-de-beek-on-loan-from-manchester-united/lz86ovrXuPM2/

the athletic reporting palace thinking of loaning van de beek from united. he would be the style of player that would do well for us

Who would he replace? Romeu or JWP? Or even Diallo?

Edited by Saint86

Newcastle are using their money to good effect here, obviously substantial money has been put into the players and agents face, but they're about to sign Bruno Guimarães. One hell of an upgrade on Jon Jo Shelvey.

Not getting him for a bad price either given his undoubted potential, £25-30m.

Edited by S-Clarke

ALI has talent but no guts. He does not do the hard work of closing down and pressing with  conviction. He will not chase back to defend, he will not do the dirty work. For those reason I would not take him. Everyone has to pull their weight in Ralf pressing style and I have not seen Ali over his career do this. If he can convince Ralf he can do the work, then sure, let give him a trial. 

Here a shot in the dark, Ibrahima Koné, Mali striker, 22, 6'3, score 3 goal in 3 game for 🇲🇱 Mali, I see our DJ got an assist. Would not cost us much.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Brazilians love the north east weather, wont see this guy until may

There's always been a lot of Brazilians down the big market, even in winter. Surprised chapped lips is not more of an issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

ALI has talent but no guts. He does not do the hard work of closing down and pressing with  conviction. He will not chase back to defend, he will not do the dirty work. For those reason I would not take him. Everyone has to pull their weight in Ralf pressing style and I have not seen Ali over his career do this. If he can convince Ralf he can do the work, then sure, let give him a trial. 

Here a shot in the dark, Ibrahima Koné, Mali striker, 22, 6'3, score 3 goal in 3 game for 🇲🇱 Mali, I see our DJ got an assist. Would not cost us much.

For the love of god, please stop calling him ‘Ralf’. You’ve only had 3 years to start spelling his name right ffs. 

As for the geezer at AFCON, wouldn’t touch anyone based on who shines, in that comp (unless they’re established in Europe), with a barge pole, absolute joke of a competition. 

Edited by Dman

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Or maybe they won't (at least not yet anyway)...
image.png.416a52795b2b00215b02210836ff72b2.png

I must admit, the media are making their transfer interest an absolute show. They don't need to, but they are.

It's probably not half as dramatic as the media are painting, but it's making it look like it's all a bit inept from Newcastles side. It feels like it's the media who are stiring it though and then having to backtrack.

I reckon this will happen, but the media have just jumped the gun and are now saving face. SSN's Bevis and Buthead transfer guys are part of the problem with their sensationalized twitter regurgitated bollocks.

• Like 2