January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

I saw him play for Lewes on Tuesday and he is obviously decent at that level, tall, quite quick and nice left foot but he didn't stand out as someone who would ever be PL class, and he is at an age where most young PL players break through (19) and is currently playing below National League South.

I wonder if he was right footed whether Spurs or Brighton would even look twice at him.

Brighton and Lewes have a good relationship so sure if they are interested he will train with them and they can have a closer look.

22 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Great spot.  Makes sense now.

Think we were linked with this guy before. Name rings a bell.

Yeah, we've been mentioned in passing before. So have Brighton.

Seems like a Brighton sort of signing, could follow the same pathway as Solly March.

2 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

I don’t think we want to sell Bednarek but if Newcastle struggle to strengthen their CD positions - one of their weakest areas - they could well panic as the window starts to close and offer crazy money. If so, I’m sure we’ll seriously consider taking it.

That might be one of the contingency plans we’re working on, now that we have really smart leadership at the club.

its all hypothetical, but the fact remains we do need to sell a player every now and then, so selling a player we (as fans) don't see as critical, is a lot easier to take than selling a favourite. 

I'm not a great judge of CBs, but I've never rated Bednarek, and feel we could improve on him with the right scouting.

Edited by Chez

22 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Not encountered the endless stream of cunty newcastle fans on every single football related post on social media then? There aren't many more irritating than them now. 

if you judge a fanbase by social media users, then is there one that isn't cunty?

Whenever I've gone up to see Saints there they have been extremely hospitable and actually been welcoming. Not sure that could be said about another team/city. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chez said:

its all hypothetical, but the fact remains we do need to sell a player every now and then, so selling a player we (as fans) don't see as critical, is a lot easier to take than selling a favourite. 

I'm not a great judge of CBs, but I've never rated Bednarek, and feel we could improve on him with the right scouting.

We have improved on him with clever scouting which is why a good offer may be accepted, If its N'castle a good offer should be £30m+ nothing less.

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This is why patience in football with an aligned strategy is so important, but weirdly it's so rare. I rate Martin Semmens and our board for sticking with Ralph when all around them were out with the knives. I'm absolutely positive that the patience we have shown with Ralph will reap so many rewards.

I agree but Ralph has also shown patience with us. Many would have quit. All the Gao years he had no investment and was left with a limited squad, inadequate bench and several wasters from previous regime hanging around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Two days to go. We're not in any desperate need to make signings although we do have the remaining loan at our disposal. Minamino, Alli McAtee and Delap are some of those linked on loan - although we may get somebody else out of the blue.

Hard to see any permanent signings - Broja, Anjorin and Carvalho have all linked but most likely will be the summer before we see any movement. Same for the various goalkeepers linked as we've plenty of cover in that position.

Hope we get at least one new signing in to strengthen our starting 11

34 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Yeah I would've just quit my £4m per year job,  hard life 

You think you could do the job then

Standards apply albeit at a different level of reward and our manager shows huge commitment and loyalty when many other clubs pay as much or more. Are you a supporter? He's the real deal and sticks with us as we do him. That's a team that's our club. That's reality in the best league in the world. Show some ambition instead of envy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CougarSaint said:

You think you could do the job then

Standards apply albeit at a different level of reward and our manager shows huge commitment and loyalty when many other clubs pay as much or more. Are you a supporter? He's the real deal and sticks with us as we do him. That's a team that's our club. That's reality in the best league in the world. Show some ambition instead of envy.

Im very much a Ralph fan but come on.. nobody was coming to pay up the huge contract of a guy thats taken two 9-0 drubbings and has also had some periods of absolute diabolical performances, including being the worst for giving away leads

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im very much a Ralph fan but come on.. nobody was coming to pay up the huge contract of a guy thats taken two 9-0 drubbings and has also had some periods of absolute diabolical performances, including being the worst for giving away leads

How often do we score early in games? The earlier you score the more time your opposition have to reply. A game last 90 plus minutes, it doesn’t matter when you score so long as you have the most goals when the final whistle blows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

That wasn't my point but since you raise it can you name another manager we could have replaced him with and got further than we are now? I'm genuinely interested in your reply because I can't think of many that would...Ancelloti, Benitez, Howe, Lampard, Rooney?

He's the best since Koeman and Porchettino despite those results or do you not think so?

3 hours ago, Danbert said:

Couple of questions:

how high could his wages be?

does he want to be a player at a premier league club?

chdajfu in his age group?

7 hours ago, CougarSaint said:

That wasn't my point but since you raise it can you name another manager we could have replaced him with and got further than we are now? I'm genuinely interested in your reply because I can't think of many that would...Ancelloti, Benitez, Howe, Lampard, Rooney?

He's the best since Koeman and Porchettino despite those results or do you not think so?

The "nobody can name anyone better" routine is absolute bullshit being that pretty much no one here had heard of Ralph Hasenhuttl until a day or so before he was appointed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

My Liverpool supporting son in law reckons we are back in for Minimouso on loan. 

I think I'd be ok with that. He came in at a time when we were playing poorly, last season, and struggled a bit after a promising start. We're playing quite well right now though and he's got a few goals for Liverpool this season, plus you'd assume he wouldn't take long to reintegrate having been here before, Ralph clearly likes him so he might be worth another go when we're not so desperate.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

I think I'd be ok with that. He came in at a time when we were playing poorly, last season, and struggled a bit after a promising start. We're playing quite well right now though and he's got a few goals for Liverpool this season, plus you'd assume he wouldn't take long to reintegrate having been here before, Ralph clearly likes him so he might be worth another go when we're not so desperate.

I thought he was good enough, as you say, landed here at a very bad time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chez said:

I agree with what you are saying but if we did get £20m I suggest that his signing would have been a pretty good one as he cost little and probably his wages have not been huge and he has played some decent games.

I am interested in what happens to Jack Stephens has he has dropped from 2nd CB earlier in the season to 4th now I think it is time for him to go as if any of the younger CBs are any good

6 minutes ago, John B said:

I agree with what you are saying but if we did get £20m I suggest that his signing would have been a pretty good one as he cost little and probably his wages have not been huge and he has played some decent games.

I am interested in what happens to Jack Stephens has he has dropped from 2nd CB earlier in the season to 4th now I think it is time for him to go as if any of the younger CBs are any good

if we could get £20m, then that would be fantastic and exactly the kind of buy low sell high deal we want to make. not sure thats gonna happen though. He's committed, half decent in the air and OK with the ball. He's just not top class and I want us to keep trying until we land one that is.

Not sure which youngsters you are referring to. Simeu going out on loan to Carlise suggests he is not ready, which is not unexpected, but you always hope you've signed a wonderkid and I still struggle to understand why Ramsey ever got a new contract, as he didn't look look good enough to me. I am not sure what question Valery is the answer to.

28 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I thought he was good enough, as you say, landed here at a very bad time.

the goal he scored at Newcastle was sensational and the kind of strike our current batch of attacking midfielders fail to offer (perhaps Armstrong apart...although its been a while). I thought we'd got ourselves a gem, but as the loan progressed he didn't seem to be able to grab a game by the scruff of the neck, really dictate play or changes things much when coming off the bench. There was always the feeling that you'd like to see more. I wouldn't be against another loan, but is there another better option maybe?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CougarSaint said:

Where did I say I wanted to replace him ?

And saying he is the best since Poch and Koeman is a bit of a moot point… the alternatives were Puel or Hughes

I think that Ralph is a good manager, and potentially very good for us now that he has overcome his stubbornness and tactical one sidedness.. so lets see how he progresses 

The point was he was never going to leave, thats just a stupid suggestion, nobody gives up a multi million pound salary. And it was unlikely any clubs would take an expensive punt on a manager thats had as many terrible periods as he has fantastic 

Hopefully moving forward we see a good level of consistency and it appears we may be getting it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

How often do we score early in games? The earlier you score the more time your opposition have to reply. A game last 90 plus minutes, it doesn’t matter when you score so long as you have the most goals when the final whistle blows.

Sorry Micheal Owen 😂

What exactly is your point ?

Do we have the unfortunate record of losing the most points from winning positions ? Yes

Regardless of timings of goals that is something we need to work on (and we’ve been getting better) but in the context of ‘who comes to sign Ralph’ its a pertinent point

9 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

14 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Sorry Micheal Owen 😂

What exactly is your point ?

Do we have the unfortunate record of losing the most points from winning positions ? Yes

Regardless of timings of goals that is something we need to work on (and we’ve been getting better) but in the context of ‘who comes to sign Ralph’ its a pertinent point

They were analysing a team on MotD a few weeks ago (can't remember which team) but they were the team who had achieved the most draws after conceding first. It was similar to the number of draws that Saints had succumbed to after scoring first.

The manager of said team was being praised for instilling resilience etc in the team.

Guess what? That team got the same number of points for their draws that Saints got for theirs, but one manager gets praise, the other criticised.

Just an observation. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

You shouldn’t go round repeating that based on social media “evidence”

The social media is very damming (I didn't expect it to be that shocking, tbh) and given that Utd have come out in response already demonstrates that it's not just chatter, obviously needs to be an investigation to find the full facts, but it feels pretty inevitable that his career is over. Anyone doing what he's accused of needs to be locked up for a very long time.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The social media is very damming (I didn't expect it to be that shocking, tbh) and given that Utd have come out in response already demonstrates that it's not just chatter, obviously needs to be an investigation to find the full facts, but it feels pretty inevitable that his career is over. Anyone doing what he's accused of needs to be locked up for a very long time.

You get the feel that he was/is not universally popular 'on the pitch'....at best, one greedy fecker

Without these allegations, he seems like twat of the highest order anyway - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mason-greenwood-accused-of-domestic-violence.468505/page-8

Edited by AlexLaw76

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

They were analysing a team on MotD a few weeks ago (can't remember which team) but they were the team who had achieved the most draws after conceding first. It was similar to the number of draws that Saints had succumbed to after scoring first.

The manager of said team was being praised for instilling resilience etc in the team.

Guess what? That team got the same number of points for their draws that Saints got for theirs, but one manager gets praise, the other criticised.

Just an observation. 

For context

I don’t want to see a managerial change, I like Ralph, I like the way he sets up and I like his philosophy

But

The point was, who is going to pay up Ralphs 4m a year contract to sign him off of us, after his 2 x 9+ conceded games in a calendar year, struggles with relegation and the record of losing the most points from winning positions ?

Its really not difficult to have a bit of balance in your reasoning 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just send it over to Sue Gray and Cressida Dick and he’ll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like decisions will be made in the summer by the new owners. Presumably they'll decide if Ralph stays or goes before loosening the purse strings. After some of Ralph's off the cuff remarks recently about transfers leaves me wondering if he is still on the inside track.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Looks like decisions will be made in the summer by the new owners. Presumably they'll decide if Ralph stays or goes before loosening the purse strings. After some of Ralph's off the cuff remarks recently about transfers leaves me wondering if he is still on the inside track.

What remarks?

Based on the three weeks we’ve had new owners it sounds like RH, Semmens and the board are United as one and pulling in the same direction.

I think our lack of signings this winter isn’t a bad thing, yes we could do with a better squad and replace the deadwood but it would appear they’re comfortable from what they’ve seen in our performances to say we’ve got enough about us to stay up.

No point squandering silly money for a quick result.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

But too early on a Sunday to be cracking open the Rémy Martin?

(One for the more older-in-the-tooth forum members there.... #helpmerhonda)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1