January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

It's not about who I'd bring in instead, that's the job for the scouting department. I'm sure there are players out there.

Which begs the question, if there are potentially 'better' replacements for Bednarek, available for less than NUFC might offer for him, and that we have hopefully already scouted, why don't Newcastle go for them instead ?

Edited by badgerx16

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Which begs the question, if there are potentially 'better' replacements for Bednarek, available for less than NUFC might offer for him, and that we have hopefully already scouted, why don't Newcastle go for them instead ?

Risk\Reward. Bednarek proven Premier League player, other players Saints or Newcastle could get for less, not so much. How much risk is any team willing to take on its Premier League status?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Newcastle need players who they know can play in the Prem right now because they are in danger of relegation, they don't have time to scout and develop someone, risking that they'll never actually be up to it anyway.

Have to say the way newcastle have gone about transfer window is exactly the opposite impression I would want to give if I was running a supposed elite club as a management team.

Its like if Harry Redknapp and Jim Smith were involved in transfers and were just randomly shouting names into a phone, completely unprofessional.

They had dec to sound out targets, align with agents and begin discussions with clubs about fees, the transactions themselves can only take place in Jan and in realistic terms they should of expected these premium add ons to transfer prices/players wages and just made sure they get their players in.

They have a budget and priority list of positions/players, jan should of just been executing the transactions.

Stavely and her husband will not be running this club in Summer i reckon after this window.

Dog Phone GIF

10 hours ago, Chez said:

Pretty sure this has been discussed on this thread in the non too distant past.

If you mean at short notice, in this window, then yeah, almost no one, but £20m is a fair chunk of cash, so I'd be disappointed if our scouts couldn't find and tempt someone. As an example Duje Caleta Car is available for £15m, apparently.

West Ham in for Caleta Car

https://www.90min.com/posts/west-ham-in-talks-with-marseille-over-double-loan-deal

8 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Probably because they aren't really scouting, just chucking money at the obvious targets. 

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Probably nothing this month.

Not sure in the summer.  Depends if he would want to go.  I

Yep, not sure about Newcastle, although if they gave him a huge £ rise, but I can see someone coming in for him. 

What money you think he would go for for us to be interested?

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

Yeah, i dont think he will go now, but maybe summer window.

Im not sure what our consideration point would be, I put £70m as I think that would make us very interested.

Not sure it would for Newcastle, the stronger they get now, the easier it will be to survive. i dont think we would sell him though tbh, think he will retire here

• Like 1

Not sure people wouldn’t up sticks and move. Money can be a real incentive and amazing how it can influence peoples views!

I think there would be a number we would sell him for, something around £70m would be very tempting for us, literally every player has their price, and I trust us now to be far, far better with how we recruit replacements.

8 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

One thing I would say about Newcastle is that it is a long long way for a player from us to relocate, particularly if they've been here a while and have settled in the area. 

Money will talk for sure. I'm sure if the player was unsure the club would even buy him a mansion or something, they have all the money in the world to do whatever they want with.

As has been said, 70-100m is probably our sweet spot in terms of what we'd accept. My hunch is that they won't be clever enough to look at him and they'll chase all the sexy European named signings from elsewhere. (no offence to James). In terms of England, Rice and Philips are probably of more interest to the top teams at the moment anyway.

I still maintain as I’ve said for years now I think JWP is here to stay. He just won’t leave.

Would like to see Newcastle throw £100m at bang average players no and get rejected by them, just for comedic value.

Their scattergun approach might keep them up this season.

But come next season when EH inevitably gets sacked it’ll turn into another Everton, or Man United - new manager, wants new players, new style of football - until results falter, and then we start the cycle again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I still maintain as I’ve said for years now I think JWP is here to stay. He just won’t leave.

Would like to see Newcastle throw £100m at bang average players no and get rejected by them, just for comedic value.

But come next season when EH inevitably gets sacked it’ll turn into another Everton, or Man United - new manager, wants new players, new style of football - until results falter, and then we start the cycle again.

This is what we have avoided and the dividend is beginning

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This is why patience in football with an aligned strategy is so important, but weirdly it's so rare. I rate Martin Semmens and our board for sticking with Ralph when all around them were out with the knives. I'm absolutely positive that the patience we have shown with Ralph will reap so many rewards.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Have to say the way newcastle have gone about transfer window is exactly the opposite impression I would want to give if I was running a supposed elite club as a management team.

Its like if Harry Redknapp and Jim Smith were involved in transfers and were just randomly shouting names into a phone, completely unprofessional.

They had dec to sound out targets, align with agents and begin discussions with clubs about fees, the transactions themselves can only take place in Jan and in realistic terms they should of expected these premium add ons to transfer prices/players wages and just made sure they get their players in.

They have a budget and priority list of positions/players, jan should of just been executing the transactions.

Stavely and her husband will not be running this club in Summer i reckon after this window.

Dog Phone GIF

Their transfer strategy reminds me when I play FM with unl8mited cash. I bid for everybody and and hope somebody says yes and then end up with 3 x new left backs.

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Burnley now not signing Orsic but are pursuing Weghorst who would be a decent replacement for Wood. Still don't think they'll have enough to stay up. 

Apparently Zagreb didn't want to sell in the end. Sounds like Burnley weren't offering what they wanted to me!

They're going to be busy on Monday at this rate! Weghorst would be a top replacement for Wood though if they can get that over the line.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Wonder what we would do if Newcastle came in with £70m+ for JWP…

interesting question.

feels like top end (not sure)...which is when we MUST sell for our business model to work.

...in the summer of course. 

Edited by Chez

Even if they did offer a figure like that, which I think it would take for us to agree, have my doubts that he would say yes.  He's happy here clearly and likes the club/settled in the area, I don't think he'd give all that up to basically move sideways as Newcastle are at least 4-5 years away IMO from challenging for top 4 sort of spots, and by that point JWP would be entering the latter stages of his career at 31-32. 

He'd be upsetting a good thing here and also blocking himself from moving to an actually top club that would be challenging for stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

interesting question.

feels like top end (not sure)...which is when we MUST sell for our business model to work.

...in the summer of course. 

Yep agree and think we would sell summertime if we got that size offer.

Be interested who we would go for as his replacement, unless they promote Diallo and recruit another one to develop.

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Money will talk for sure. I'm sure if the player was unsure the club would even buy him a mansion or something, they have all the money in the world to do whatever they want with.

As has been said, 70-100m is probably our sweet spot in terms of what we'd accept. My hunch is that they won't be clever enough to look at him and they'll chase all the sexy European named signings from elsewhere. (no offence to James). In terms of England, Rice and Philips are probably of more interest to the top teams at the moment anyway.

Personal rose tinted perspective granted. But I'd be astounded if people (who were after a JWP type of player) chose to look at philips instead - JWP is a far better all round midfielder, he has better fitness, and ofc his set peice delivery / threat is the best in the world. He is a class player who really doesn't get the credit for what he does. A bit of a milner I guess. But the way he's playing recently he is getting up there with rice for best English CM and imo he really should be starting with him for England in 4-2-3-1 (which fits England's players perfectly). 

Pobably would be if it wasn't for the utter dog shite that is Southgate as manager. 

If he wants to move (which isn't guaranteed), we can expect bigger fish than Newcastle coming in for him this summer. Hate to say it, bit Liverpool need to replace Henderson and milner as it is. United's cm is dog average as well, even city could use him as one or their plethora of squad players (plus ofc he is home grown). 

Imo, if JWP is interested in a move this summer, it will be to a top 4 team. I hope it doesn't happen as I'd love to see him do a MLT (and win something) with us. But I would also wish him all the best of he did get a good move. 

If he moved to Newcastle I'd be pissed off though. Just don't think he'd move for money as he must have had the chance to do that basically already. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Watch Newcastle spunk a load of money up the wall with absolutely zero strategy.

Won’t matter. They will be top 6 next season no matter what. I don’t care. Fair play to them. I like Newcastle fans. Don’t begrudge them a jot. Same as man city.

They don’t have the billy big bollocks attitude of Man Utd or Chelsea.

3 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Won’t matter. They will be top 6 next season no matter what. I don’t care. Fair play to them. I like Newcastle fans. Don’t begrudge them a jot. Same as man city.

Reckon they are getting relegated then?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This is why patience in football with an aligned strategy is so important, but weirdly it's so rare. I rate Martin Semmens and our board for sticking with Ralph when all around them were out with the knives. I'm absolutely positive that the patience we have shown with Ralph will reap so many rewards.

Gotta say I snapped for the first time after the 3 nil against Arsenal and said Ralph’s time should be up. We’ve not really looked back since so I feel I have to take the credit for this, although the takeover may have some minor bearing….  All joking aside it does look like it might finally be falling into place so the patience shown could indeed be about to be rewarded. 🙏

Edited by stknowle

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Don't have the billy big bollocks attitude yet. Wait till you've got a generation of 20ish year old City fans who have grown up only ever winning everything.

9 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

Steve, I think there is a problem with the site, I'm sure on clicked on Southampton's January 22 transfer window but it seems to be Newcastle. 

To be fair there is an equivalent thread on one of the Newcastle forums about our transfer window,it's just a load of empty pages.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Newcastle will end up with a player in each position costing £30-50m, but they will be the equivalent of Everton for a long time.

Sure maybe in time I make the European places but they’ve a lot to learn, and a scattergun approach to transfers, management and touting about in the media will hinder them.

They ll be soon above Everton, money talks

I don’t think we want to sell Bednarek but if Newcastle struggle to strengthen their CD positions - one of their weakest areas - they could well panic as the window starts to close and offer crazy money. If so, I’m sure we’ll seriously consider taking it.

That might be one of the contingency plans we’re working on, now that we have really smart leadership at the club.

With Ralph occasionally choosing 3 at the back currently, I can't see us shipping out a proven, established CB when we aren't exactly deep in that area.  Hoping with these new owners that we have the financial flexibility to get someone in first, who will have to prove he deserves the place.  Nice position to be in if so.