January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

If Newcastle fans think they will be challenging for the Champions League places in the next 5 seasons they are deluding themselves.

It's interesting. Money always talks and they now have shitloads. They will attract good players. I'll be interested how the scousers plan out their next few seasons as Salah and Mane start to age. Be interesting to see how they plan to replace Salah. I think fourth place is a realistic target. Spurs managed to break in there for a few seasons, Leicester did it. Not beyond possibility that Liverpool start to drop a bit - Arsenal and Man U are examples of it happening.

15 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

If u think that then you don't understand their new financial muscle. 

Everton have/had equal muscle but £500m later they are worse off than when they started. If any club breaks into the top 4 on a semi-regular basis it could be West Ham - a bit more backing now from the Czech investor but on top of a solid established base of British and European talent with 60-100 PL hardened games under their belt which Moyes has built.

He did get Everton into the top 4 when it was just as hard but being London based might help with recruitment to sustain it. They are just fading a bit like Saints did at the time of year under Ronald but it’s where being able to add a £30m face to freshen up can make the difference. Attack depth is their Achilles heel hence the links to Broja in the summer and others. 

If Newcastle are patient that’s the model to follow. Time will tell. Leicester have broken the ceiling at times as well having done really well with Maguire, Kante etc then selling them on and buying Fofana, Maddison with the core already there but as they are finding out, you cannot afford any bad windows on recruitment to stay at that level. The King Power model started off in the Champ like Newcastle are now, Sven etc, older names on huge wages and throwing cash around but evolved subtly with spectacular results. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Everton have/had equal muscle but £500m later they are worse off than when they started. If any club breaks into the top 4 on a semi-regular basis it could be West Ham - a bit more backing now from the Czech investor but on top of a solid established base of British and European talent with 60-100 PL hardened games under their belt which Moyes has built.

He did get Everton into the top 4 when it was just as hard but being London based might help with recruitment to sustain it. They are just fading a bit like Saints did at the time of year under Ronald but it’s where being able to add a £30m face to freshen up can make the difference. Attack depth is their Achilles heel hence the links to Broja in the summer and others. 

If Newcastle are patient that’s the model to follow. Time will tell. Leicester have broken the ceiling at times as well having done really well with Maguire, Kante etc then selling them on and buying Fofana, Maddison with the core already there but as they are finding out, you cannot afford any bad windows on recruitment to stay at that level. The King Power model started off in the Champ like Newcastle are now, Sven etc, older names on huge wages and throwing cash around but evolved subtly with spectacular results. 

I don't think you can compare Everton and Newcastle, totally different animals.

Newcastle are the equivalent of Man City, they will be going after the best players in the world in the next couple of years. They won't be signing the likes of Iwobi or Daccoure from Premier League clubs. How this is going to play out with FFP I don't know, but given that whole thing is flawed it'll probably be worked to their benefit.

51 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's true and that is the downside....but if you do it right, and I look at examples of RB Lipzig and Dortmund then you can keep going again with the next generation. I think we'll have a slightly different situation now in the sense that we can move for replacements before we sell, that was the problem for us before. I'm sure we said we'd have liked to have got Armstrong in the year before we sold Ings to integrate him, but we couldn't buy him before selling first at the end of the day.

There's also a lot to be said of having players buying into a team and a project, if we make an environment here and they're suitably well paid...then they might not be running to get out of the door at the first opportunity.

And responding to this and John B’s comments about being a lower PL team, that’s a result of several disaster transfer windows and the wrong owner in Gao. In 2014 when Les understood his role and knowledge better, with Ronald’s input we actually were stronger than Poch’s squad even with European football. Tadic was more productive first two seasons than Lallana, Mane added a dimension after a mixed start, Toby on loan, VVD were both miles better than Dejan and I could go on. Long was a good plan b in those days.

We won’t get every recruitment right and some players eg Lemina that look good prospects on paper won’t always work out. Even if most on here consumed 7 pints of strong bitter before watching a match, nobody would seriously think Hoedt, Carrillo, Vesty and many others were ever PL players. I think that’s were the new set up should have a different focus with more voices in it to stop the Les and Ross effect where they are the football people and beyond challenge.

It would only take mid table this season and pushing top 10 next for the lower tag to go. 2012-16 there was real momentum, post Ronald the manager and player recruitment went south. Puel is figure that divides fans on this site, tactically good but a mid sized club like ours us always at its best with personality. Ralph has it, Nigel did, Ronald and even Poch without the language had clear expression on the pitch. Going further back, WGS, Bally and Lawrie. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, John B said:

We are a lower PL club I think you are wrong to think players will stay with us when they can get paid more and win trophies and play in Europe

What is the evidence for your theory especially as agents are always looking for the next pay day 

I think my theory is that if we do it right then we won't be a lower PL club, players may want to hang around as we're doing a good thing. I'm not naiave to think we'll always keep the best players, it's inevitable we will always be a form of a selling club....but if we do it right then we can get back to being a club that sells to Liverpool, Utd etc rather than Everton or Villa.

I thought we were very close to a Dortmund type strategy years ago, but sadly consecutive horrendous transfer windows meant that we wasted all of that fortune that should have allowed us to 'go again'.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Newcastle are the equivalent of Man City, they will be going after the best players in the world in the next couple of years. They won't be signing the likes of Iwobi or Daccoure from Premier League clubs. How this is going to play out with FFP I don't know, but given that whole thing is flawed it'll probably be worked to their benefit.

They can aim to be Man City but they are in the Cheshire Hub with Man U and Liverpool. I like the NE and know it quite well, the downside is it can be a goldfish bowl. Just look at the accounts of Jenas when he was there - enjoyed it but lack of a pressure valve stopped them going all the way under SBR. The Keegan era the money was new and only Man U and Blackburn could match them. 

Not saying they can’t replicate the 1990s again and winning something this time with a bit more pragmatism, but I’m not getting a sense of clear strategy yet. I’m just saying that I think it will take slightly longer than City did to sustain at the top even with equal oil resources. Chelsea could attract a different calibre of player straight away when Abramovic took over and again that’s geography. Under Keegan, Newcastle could blow Blackburn and Man U out of the water on salaries but now City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea can offer super money already. Arsenal and Spurs, maybe West Ham on their days. Is £50k a week more on top of an already huge package worth being outside of the NW/London scene with other top players for?

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

One we were linked with - 

Tottenham reach Tanner agreement

Tottenham have had a bid for Lewes winger Ollie Tanner accepted.

The 19-year-old is wanted by Spurs while Brighton have previously made an offer for the player, who must now decide where his future lies.

Tanner had spells at the academies of Arsenal and Charlton as a schoolboy. 

Spurs fans having a meltdown as they think this is the alternative to Luis Diaz. Quite funny watching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

They can aim to be Man City but they are in the Cheshire Hub with Man U and Liverpool. I like the NE and know it quite well, the downside is it can be a goldfish bowl. Just look at the accounts of Jenas when he was there - enjoyed it but lack of a pressure valve stopped them going all the way under SBR. The Keegan era the money was new and only Man U and Blackburn could match them. 

Not saying they can’t replicate the 1990s again and winning something this time with a bit more pragmatism, but I’m not getting a sense of clear strategy yet. I’m just saying that I think it will take slightly longer than City did to sustain at the top even with equal oil resources. Chelsea could attract a different calibre of player straight away when Abramovic took over and again that’s geography. 

Yeah I agree, a lot is down to geography and players desire to be in the right location. But a lot of the time money will talk to be honest, and they have a lot of it.

I don't see a strategy either to be honest, but when you have the unlimited funds they have it's inevitable they will bump into a strategy at some point. It's certainly going to be interesting to watch the next 2 or 3 years.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

One we were linked with - 

Spurs fans having a meltdown as they think this is the alternative to Luis Diaz. Quite funny watching.

Cycled past their training ground earlier. Two lads pinning up a protest banner opposite the entrance - I had to point out that they were putting it up back to front.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Suhari said:

That's interesting.

And the Everton figures...... 🤣

Certainly makes you think. The Everton figures aren't *that* much lower than what Newcastle can spend, and fair to say they have pretty much wasted all of it, turning a mid-table club into a lower mid-table club in the process. So yes, the Newcastle project could go spectacularly wrong which I am sure would amuse and delight a lot of people. Adding to the risk for Newcastle is the sense that the management seem to have very little idea what they are doing.

• Like 2

I haven't worked the numbers through, but my initial thought is that if Newcastle were to go out and immediately spend the majority of that £500m-£800m talked about they'd be absolutely screwed in future years as those outgoings roll over. It's not sustainable at all without massively increasing their revenue. That's the whole point of these rules. Not saying they won't try to get around it, but they can't just keep spending more and more money. That's the problem Everton have run into, they can't spend any more substantial sums without falling foul of the rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

They are going tobe like a shit version of Manchester United. Splurging money around on big names but not actually winning anything and with no particular strategy. Manchester City already exist (as do United, Liverpool, Real Madrid etc). They can't all be the biggest club in the world, they can't all have all the best players.

They are going to be a long way away from emulating them.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

If I was a Newcastle fan, i’d be worried about how much noise their owners make - I really can’t think of a club who’ve had a publicity loving owner/chairman, and also had success. It always makes me think things are going to fail when I see them shouting their mouth off in public all the time.

1 hour ago, Scummer said:

I haven't worked the numbers through, but my initial thought is that if Newcastle were to go out and immediately spend the majority of that £500m-£800m talked about they'd be absolutely screwed in future years as those outgoings roll over. It's not sustainable at all without massively increasing their revenue. That's the whole point of these rules. Not saying they won't try to get around it, but they can't just keep spending more and more money. That's the problem Everton have run into, they can't spend any more substantial sums without falling foul of the rules.

Well PSG have managed to do it so I don t see why Newcastle can t

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

If I was a Newcastle fan, i’d be worried about how much noise their owners make - I really can’t think of a club who’ve had a publicity loving owner/chairman, and also had success. It always makes me think things are going to fail when I see them shouting their mouth off in public all the time.

Do they though ? Can't say I've seen or read too much apart from the initial euphoria after buying the club from Stavely or the owners.

Most of the circus seems to stem from journalists around the club trying to scoop an 'exclusive' by linking them with every player imaginable in the hope they get one right. This is annoying but that's more the media than the club.

• Like 2

This hasn't happened yet but the Saudi fund is aiming to own clubs worldwide. What if they buy expensive world class players worldwide then loan them cheaply to Newcastle? Alternatively sell them cheaply or on lengthy finance arrangements. Any ideas?

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure how this impacts things, but Liverpool signing Luis Diaz may cool their Carvalho interest? Or at least block any pathway for him?

I think that one will happen in the summer, hope we're still in the equation.

Was hoping the same .. would love carvalho to play in the red n white .. would suit our model and he’s a talent on the up .. we can nurture him and he can learn his trade in the prem .. definitely a star of the future !

• Like 1

I’m sure there are a lot of young players on the outside that are now looking at Saints as a team that has a path to first team football.

I wouldn’t write us off just yet for the likes of Carvalho etc.

I also think where a lot of players were going abroad for first team football to the likes of Germany, in the last year it’s changed and there are a lot more players dropping a division for game time.

We are now a very appealing option.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure how this impacts things, but Liverpool signing Luis Diaz may cool their Carvalho interest? Or at least block any pathway for him?

I think that one will happen in the summer, hope we're still in the equation.

I think I read they want to refresh their attack.  The fact their usual suspect media buddies are talking it up seems likely he’ll go there. Will he play though?

15 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I think I read they want to refresh their attack.  The fact their usual suspect media buddies are talking it up seems likely he’ll go there. Will he play though?

He gets time at Fulham. He would get time here. Liverpool would not be able to guarantee time so if I were him I’d make game time the priority- no one knows you unless you are on the pitch these days.

• Like 2

Easy to see the teams that are in panic mode.

Fact is we don't need to make any signings, so if its better to wait til the summer then may as well wait.

I think the only possible now would be a no brainer type like Alli that may present itself. 

Otherwise we have few injuries and a pretty strong squad depth wise considering over half the season is done.

I reckon the summer will be quite interesting. Surely will sell one player to generate cash (JWP if top 6 call or Salisu if no new contract) but could end up signing a few as we are a much more attractive proposition than a year ago, with a stable manager.

Also a few big contracts ending, plus last chance to recoup money for Djenepo and Elyounoussi which the club will surely look to take.

Edited by Dusic

39 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

I can't see why Carvalho would move in the summer at all if Fulham get promoted which looks inevitable. He will continue to be a regular starter for them. 

If we were interested I would of thought now would be the better time to try and bring him in 

if you can offer more money and perhaps greater assurance of remaining in the league, that's a step up the ladder. Frederiks left Fulham for West Ham when they got promoted (he was also out of contract). Whether that endorses the concept, I am not so sure.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Easy to see the teams that are in panic mode.

Fact is we don't need to make any signings, so if its better to wait til the summer then may as well wait.

I think the only possible now would be a no brainer type like Alli that may present itself. 

Otherwise we have few injuries and a pretty strong squad depth wise considering over half the season is done.

I reckon the summer will be quite interesting. Surely will sell one player to generate cash (JWP if top 6 call or Salisu if no new contract) but could end up signing a few as we are a much more attractive proposition than a year ago, with a stable manager.

Also a few big contracts ending, plus last chance to recoup money for Djenepo and Elyounoussi which the club will surely look to take.

Why would we sell JWP? He has not long signed a long contract and, apparently, we no longer need to seek to buy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Newcastle interested in Bednarek according to sky.

If we could rinse them for £20 million plus then happy days. Pretty average defender who makes a fair few errors. 

Not sure what’s worse the idiot that wrote it or anyone that’s thinks that’s likely

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Newcastle interested in Bednarek according to sky.

If we could rinse them for £20 million plus then happy days. Pretty average defender who makes a fair few errors. 

I'd like to confirm that neither my cat, the postman nor my neighbours gran will be joining Newcastle this window. Despite a steely midfield general temperament, and undoubted skill with cat toy balls, my cat considers them to be sportswashing clowns.

No doubt the rest of you will be getting desperate pleas from that most special of clubs to join them before the window slams shut in their faces. "Please join us...anyone...even if you've only played table football."

38 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Have a day off, an ever reliable defender for us. who would you bring in instead? 

It's not about who I'd bring in instead, that's the job for the scouting department. I'm sure there are players out there.

He is very prone to ball watching and his mistakes have led to a number of goals conceded this season alone. If someone did offer silly money for him then I certainly wouldn't be adverse to him going. Doubtful anything will happen anyway.

Edited by Harry_SFC

54 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Have a day off, an ever reliable defender for us. who would you bring in instead? 

Pretty sure this has been discussed on this thread in the non too distant past.

If you mean at short notice, in this window, then yeah, almost no one, but £20m is a fair chunk of cash, so I'd be disappointed if our scouts couldn't find and tempt someone. As an example Duje Caleta Car is available for £15m, apparently.

2 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Selling Bednarek would mean surviving with Salisu, Stephens and Lyanco for a few months. Which is fine if you get lucky with injuries and suspensions but very risky. So it'd have to be a silly bid like 30m to do it. I don't really rate him, bang average defender but he'd probably bring in 20m in the summer too. 

Especially when we sometimes now play 3 at the back. I wouldn't want to risk Valery as a CB long term (even in a 3, despite the decent job he had to do recently when Salisu got sent off), we've recently loaned out Simeu and Stephens has spent a lot of the season out injured. It just isn't going to happen, unless somehow they offered us crazy money AND we had a replacement lined up by Monday. 

Now in the summer, £30 million and time for a replacement - now that would be tempting but I think we'll be more concerned with hanging on to Salisu.

I'm loving Newcastle's scattergun approach to transfers, panicking as they have 3 days left, it will certainly make deadline day more interesting as they're linked with different players every hour. Brighton reject their Burn bid. I guess they'll complete the Guimaraes signing, and they'll probably get a loan for someone like Lingard or Nketiah, but will it be enough? IMO, sadly, they'll stay up (as will Everton) but it will be the crapness of 3 other clubs that will help them do it.