January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

22 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I'm personally loving the quiet. 

But if we want to announce some extensions before the end of the season, well I'd take that. 

Depends who they are. Stephens, McCarthy, Forster, Long, Djeneppo, Walcott, do not need to be here for too much longer🤣

15 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

Depends who they are. Stephens, McCarthy, Forster, Long, Djeneppo, Walcott, do not need to be here for too much longer🤣

I'd be happy for Stephens to spend the remainder of his career here. I don't have an issue with McCarthy either, he would be fine as a backup keeper, if we can find a better keeper.   

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CAH61 said:

From Portishead I see, hope he sees some glory in our box and it's not a case of Armitage shanks the ball...

Hope his discipline is OK, don't want to see too many early baths, and I'd hate to see his career go down the pan.

• Like 1

When I've seen him at Evesham Utd this season he has reminded me of a young Marco Almeida:

Moves like a gazelle. Can turn on a sixpence and reads danger rather than schoolbooks.

No suprise Dragan has loosened the purse strings for this one, an exciting prospect who will be enhanced by Dave Horseman and the playbook.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Assuming this is the influence of the new owners. To buy the best young talent to fill out the youth squads or B team, at ages of 16-19, and the undeniable talent already showing, will reduces alot of the risk. We are not in desperate need for the starters in the first team, so to use some of our transfer fees on the best up and coming youth is an excellent model. A few years learning the Ralf way and we have exciting youth coming into the first team. I wonder if the new owners had influenced the previous purchase of Small and Liv? If not then Semmens/Ralf already had us on the right track of youth players.

1 hour ago, CAH61 said:

From Portishead I see, hope he sees some glory in our box and it's not a case of Armitage shanks the ball...

Sour times for Cheltenham fans losing such a good young player. It could be sweet for us though.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Assuming this is the influence of the new owners. To buy the best young talent to fill out the youth squads or B team, at ages of 16-19, and the undeniable talent already showing, will reduces alot of the risk. We are not in desperate need for the starters in the first team, so to use some of our transfer fees on the best up and coming youth is an excellent model. A few years learning the Ralf way and we have exciting youth coming into the first team. I wonder if the new owners had influenced the previous purchase of Small and Liv? If not then Semmens/Ralf already had us on the right track of youth players.

Haven’t the new owners basically already said that the running of the club will be left to those currently in charge?

Theyve probably provided the additional funds to make these sort of deals, but let’s credit Crooker here, he’s the one who’s driving these sort of things. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Haven’t the new owners basically already said that the running of the club will be left to those currently in charge?

Theyve probably provided the additional funds to make these sort of deals, but let’s credit Crooker here, he’s the one who’s driving these sort of things. 

He’s the main man in highlighting upcoming/potential  talent.

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Sour times for Cheltenham fans losing such a good young player. It could be sweet for us though.

Living up here I can tell you many haven't forgiven us for taking Christer Warren off of them. What a shrewd bit of business that turned out to be.

Or at least those old enough to remember him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I'd be happy for Stephens to spend the remainder of his career here. I don't have an issue with McCarthy either, he would be fine as a backup keeper, if we can find a better keeper.   

Agree on both points. Wasnt too long ago that Stephens was getting talked up for his early season performances (and the passion shown) - a notable improvement on previous seasons. His injury coupled with Lyancos signing and the passion hes shown, and the plaudits Salisu has been receiving has made some fans forget about that. 

Less enthusiastic about McCarthy, but as a backup we could do much, much worse. If we're offering him a new deal (or have already done so) I hope its no more than 2 years

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Living up here I can tell you many haven't forgiven us for taking Christer Warren off of them. What a shrewd bit of business that turned out to be.

Wasn’t he named after some speedway rider or speedway was in some way linked to his family?

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Nice, sometimes I feel old for remembering Neil Shipperley. Thanks you’ve made me feel young again.

22 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

It's not as far fetched as some may think, he is best mates with KWP for a start.

We wouldn't pay all the wages but I'm sure we could handle 50%.

If he can sort his mind out then he's exactly the sort of goal scoring 'number 10' who'd be perfect for us.

• Like 2

According to the Cheltenham website, Armitage was born in 1901, so might be a bit too old for us! https://www.ctfc.com/teams/first-team/defender/will-armitage/

Reminds me of when we signed Jack Stephens and Harlee Dean back in the Liebherr days. Both have forged good professional careers, but hopefully Armitage can go further.

Alli's a strange one. Something's not quite right with him at Spurs, and hasn't been for a long while, it started as far back as Pochettino. He plays in the lower profile Spurs matches, like the early FA Cup rounds and the Europa Conference matches and he looks well below par. However, he is still only 25 and only five years ago did he score 18 league goals from an attacking midfield position. So, if he can rediscover whatever it was when he initially hit the scene from MK Dons then he'd be a really good player for us. Or, he could be one of those who has just stopped loving the game and is on a slow downward spiral. Who knows.

Edited by HarvSFC

I would take Dele Alli on loan too, but I'd offer Spurs £40k a week or start with that, Spurs need him off their books more than we need Dele for our PL status. 

If we're paying £100k a week for say 20 weeks, is he worth £2m? Would he be the player to lift us 2 spots higher?

I think he could come good for us, after all sometimes a player needs a change of scenery and he might shine for us as a big fish in a smaller pond.

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's not as far fetched as some may think, he is best mates with KWP for a start.

We wouldn't pay all the wages but I'm sure we could handle 50%.

If he can sort his mind out then he's exactly the sort of goal scoring 'number 10' who'd be perfect for us.

Agree, I think he would be a fantastic signing, he’s a big step up on Djenepo, Moi, and Theo.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I would take Dele Alli on loan too, but I'd offer Spurs £40k a week or start with that, Spurs need him off their books more than we need Dele for our PL status. 

If we're paying £100k a week for say 20 weeks, is he worth £2m? Would he be the player to lift us 2 spots higher?

I think he could come good for us, after all sometimes a player needs a change of scenery and he might shine for us as a big fish in a smaller pond.

Just to let you know we all appreciate your gesture to personally funding Deli Ali’s wages, we all like to think we are good supporters , but that’s taking it to the next level! 3 cheers for nta786!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Always makes me laugh when people get excited over a transfer that clearly won’t happen. 

if the interest is true, I’d rather it was directed at lingaard, we won’t be getting either though. Alli is a Everton or Newcastle signing. 

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

So, would this be a loan with an option to buy? Can't see the point if it isn't, as it blocks the progression of a squad player, for little longer term gain. However, if Ralph can turn his game around, and the asking price isn't too high, then great. Certainly a step up on Minamino.

If we can get Alli with a reasonable option to buy it could be very fine business. Clearly ridiculously talented but mismanaged imo. He needs a manager to drill into him some work ethic and effort off the ball and we have one of the best in the business at that.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

If we can get Alli with a reasonable option to buy it could be very fine business. Clearly ridiculously talented but mismanaged imo. He needs a manager to drill into him some work ethic and effort off the ball and we have one of the best in the business at that.

This!

IF Ralph could get him firing again he could be a great asset.

Edited by waylander