January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

For Newcastle, or for Saints? Or both? (Obviously he can't sign for both teams, that's not what I'm asking!!)

If he can replicate what he achieved at WHU last year, then most clubs would want him. IF!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Willock looked unreal for Newcastle back end of last season, now barely playing.

I can't tell you how much I'd like them to go down

• Like 8

Was obvious they would spend their way out of trouble, but the amount of time Staveley is spending briefing the NE journos like Edwards and Hope is madness. Its obviously amateur hour off the pitch as well as on it but letting everyone know that seems kind of stupid, especially when she is supposedly fighting for her job.

On 19/01/2022 at 21:35, FarehamSaintJames said:

KWP won’t be leaving.

There aren’t any rumours of KWP going; aside from on here where people are going “it would be a shame if he left”, weirdly you could say that for a lot of our squad now.

————

Hope Newcastle’s panic buying goes the route of QPR or Fulham a couple of years back. 
It’s always encouraging to see the likes of Aaron Ramsey and Eden Hazard turning them down. 😂

The Athletic were reporting that Spurs and Everton were interested in KWP in the summer. Not saying he’s off but it’s plausible and I could see it happening if we had a more than reasonable bid come in.

8 hours ago, Saint86 said:

https://theathletic.com/news/fifa-announces-new-loan-rules-to-clamp-down-on-player-hoarding/wuM4m5NzCPic/

Could well impact on broja if the fa follow suit for domestic loans (would cap Chelsea at 8 International and 8 domestic per season. Reducing to 6 and 6.

I need to read and understand the ramifications more clearly but just off of that article it states ‘Club trained and under 21s are exempt’ so surely clubs like Chelsea and City’s strategies will remain largely the same… they just have to ‘sell’ these assets before they are 21 or sign them younger (if possible, I can’t remember the rulings exactly)

47 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

The Athletic were reporting that Spurs and Everton were interested in KWP in the summer. Not saying he’s off but it’s plausible and I could see it happening if we had a more than reasonable bid come in.

Arsenal - Tomi

Chelsea - James

Man Utd - Wan Bissaka, Dalot

Man City - Cancelo, Walker

Liverpool - TAA

Tottenham - Doherty, Emerson

Everton - Patterson

Leicester - Perriera

Looking at the above list, realistically where would he go? Even Villa and Newcastle have RB’s - KWP will be here for a while. He’d be foolish to leave to be back up, purely a pay day if he did.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Well..they do have 25m from the sale of Digne....maybe they were impressed with how shit KWP is on the left trying to cross it in on his wrong foot.

KWP on the left is so confusing. One week you feel he could play there and offers something from that flank. The next he looks lost and is sending in pea rollers that barely reach the box

10 hours ago, revolution saint said:

It might be plausible, but in my mind selling KWP would be idiotic.    I rate him up there among our most valuable players...up there with Salisu, Ward-Prowse and the youth of LIvramento and Broja (yes, I know he's only on loan).    I actually can't think of a player I'd least sell than KWP.

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Arsenal - Tomi

Chelsea - James

Liverpool - TAA

Everton - Patterson

Leicester - Perriera

Looking at the above list, realistically where would he go? Even Villa and Newcastle have RB’s - KWP will be here for a while. He’d be foolish to leave to be back up, purely a pay day if he did.

Looking at that list, I think he is much better than what any of them have with the exception of Liverpool, City and Chelsea. Perfectly feasible that Newcastle could come in for him in the summer too.

10 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Arsenal - Tomi

Chelsea - James

Liverpool - TAA

Everton - Patterson

Leicester - Perriera

He’d have a great chance of being first choice at…..

Man Utd, Spurs, Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Newcastle. All of which could offer way more money than us. Also think he could get a move to city, but as backup, given the need for homegrown quota. 

I think he’s fantastic, and would want him to stay, but understand if he was a bit frustrated with current situation at saints, I assume Tino will walk straight back in when he’s fit, as it’s a great advert for the new “model”.

Edited by Saint Garrett

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He’d have a great chance of being first choice at…..

Man Utd, Spurs, Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Newcastle. All of which could offer way more money than us. Also think he could get a move to city, but as backup, given the need for homegrown quota. 

I think he’s fantastic, and would want him to stay, but understand if he was a bit frustrated with current situation at saints, I assume Tino will walk straight back in when he’s fit, as it’s a great advert for the new “model”.

Newcastle have just signed Trippier, so he wont be going there. I guess the question needs to be if he can be first choice at all of these clubs why isn't he first choice at Saints? I rate him highly as well but it's typical Saints that two of our best players play in the same position. 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Newcastle have just signed Trippier, so he wont be going there. I guess the question needs to be if he can be first choice at all of these clubs why isn't he first choice at Saints? I rate him highly as well but it's typical Saints that two of our best players play in the same position. 

Because I guess Tino came available, and we are choosing to play him over KWP due to the model we've decided to go down.  We can use him as an example to other young players that they'll get a chance. Sure I read somewhere Tino was told he'd be first choice before he'd signed. KWP is fine at LB, but if he wants to play RB, you can't blame him for looking at other options.

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Because I guess Tino came available, and we are choosing to play him over KWP due to the model we've decided to go down.  We can use him as an example to other young players that they'll get a chance. Sure I read somewhere Tino was told he'd be first choice before he'd signed. KWP is fine at LB, but if he wants to play RB, you can't blame him for looking at other options.

To be honest, as an attacking full back in this day and age you need to be able to cover both sides. He can still offer a threat on the left, he just has to learn when to cut back in etc. Cancelo at City (obviously at a different level) does this brilliantly, he's naturally a right back but flops between left and right.

It's not like KWP isn't getting regular first team football anymore, the LB spot is up for grabs and it's up to him to take it and become a name on the 11. (which he probably already is)

Edited by S-Clarke

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah for sure. I think tino is getting played partly as a marketing stunt, and partly because we are confident that he will develop well. Kwp is the better player and was dropped for to many matches early on for him to have been happy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his agent put out a few feelers earlier in the season.

Edited by Saint86

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Yeah for sure. I think tino is getting played partly as a marketing stunt, and partly because we are confident that he will develop well. Kwp is the better player and was dropped for to many matches early on for him to have been happy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his agent put out a few feelers earlier in the season.

I'd be amazed if he wasn't. No player leaving a bigger club coming here for first team football is going to be happy being second choice to a 19 year old in their first season, especially after being one of our better players last season. Unless of course he's happy switching between left back and right back. Seems like he'll get a good run at right back now if Liveramento out anyway so he'll be here until the summer at least.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I'd be amazed if he wasn't. No player leaving a bigger club coming here for first team football is going to be happy being second choice to a 19 year old in their first season, especially after being one of our better players last season. Unless of course he's happy switching between left back and right back. Seems like he'll get a good run at right back now if Liveramento out anyway so he'll be here until the summer at least.

Very odd management by Ralph. KWP was probably our best player last year. Livramento arrives and he's immediately dropped. He also didn't get back in when Livramento's form dipped. He was shipped to left back. Now he's fighting for that spot with Perraud. 

Right now he should be first choice on the right and Livramento will have to fight for his place. Every game he's on the bench I think we're weaker for it. Ralph needs to find a way to get our best players on the pitch. If KWP left it really would be a huge mistake on Ralph's part. 

• Like 8

I'm sure in part there is/was an element of showing young players that they will get a chance here, and there is no doubt that Livramento's impact has done that - which could benefit us hugely in the transfer market for the next 2 or 3 years.

Equally, he was exceptional for a good while at the start of the season and KWP was playing well at LB too so can understand why he left it at that.

Whilst Perraud looks solid I wouldnt say he has shown anything like what KWP and Tino bring going forward, so can understand Ralph picking those two ahead of him, and not wanting to leave either out.

Not seen any evidence or suggestion KWP is unhappy playing LB but if he is then hopefully in the next few games at RB he will put in top performances and make himself undroppable there. For ages in some positions we have had no competition (Bertrand for example) so can't be a bad thing.

Agree with all that is said. KWP is the better all round right-back currently, but Livramento is clearly a Premier League player already and possibly/probably has a higher ceiling.

I don’t think Livramento should’ve been the automatic starter that he became straight away and think we could have rotated better, rather than playing KWP in an unfavoured position.

We were crying out for one of these during the Cedric years following a very good right-back in Clyne and it is almost a shame that we have both at the same time. However, Hasenhuttl does need to be cleverer in how he’s using the two to ensure we don’t risk losing a very good player who would no doubt improve one of our close rivals.

• Like 1

Maybe KWP wasnt looking good in pre-season and Tino was so gave the lad a chance and for the first 10 games he played very well so was hard for KWP to recover his place when his form turned up.

Am happy with players being played in a few positions and based on form/opponent.

Anyway - any worthwhile rumours aside from Broja and Aberdeen RB.

Lloris likely to sign a new deal at Spurs, which surprises me to be honest. Not a great keeper, but maybe their isn't good/better options available to them. Possibly/probably puts their connection to Johnstone to bed, unless he joins as back up. 

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Mentioned in conjunction with Carvalho at Fulham, but everyone wants him.

Interesting, I wonder where we are currently seen by players looking for a new club, and presuming we are now able to be more competitive in the wage market, we must be punching above our current league position in terms of attractiveness.

So, we won't be on a par, or close to the top 3 and MUFC, and never will, and the next three London clubs have both the glamour and bright lights appeal, so would be ahead most of the time. At the other end, the bottom four, even Newcastle with its money, can't be that appealing, and I'd add to that Everton and Brentford. So, that leaves us with Brighton, Palace, Wolves, Leeds, Villa and Leicester. Reluctantly, I can see Villa being seen as a good place to go, and Leicester have, until this season, seemed like a top six club for a few years, but I don't think the other four offer anything we can't. Indeed, new owners, stable, respected manager, great training facilities, great youth and development prospects...that puts us ahead of the four in my eyes. 

In summary, it makes us top half, but certainly upper midtable, in terms of a 'good place to play', which means we have a fighting chance of attracting new talent into the club, if the deal is right and the prospects of game time in that position are genuine, which will at times, put us above some more attractive clubs. So, I don't think Carvalho is impossible, if the lad wants a real chance to play regularly at a high level in a positive, supportive environment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

Interesting, I wonder where we are currently seen by players looking for a new club, and presuming we are now able to be more competitive in the wage market, we must be punching above our current league position in terms of attractiveness.

So, we won't be on a par, or close to the top 3 and MUFC, and never will, and the next three London clubs have both the glamour and bright lights appeal, so would be ahead most of the time. At the other end, the bottom four, even Newcastle with its money, can't be that appealing, and I'd add to that Everton and Brentford. So, that leaves us with Brighton, Palace, Wolves, Leeds, Villa and Leicester. Reluctantly, I can see Villa being seen as a good place to go, and Leicester have, until this season, seemed like a top six club for a few years, but I don't think the other four offer anything we can't. Indeed, new owners, stable, respected manager, great training facilities, great youth and development prospects...that puts us ahead of the four in my eyes. 

In summary, it makes us top half, but certainly upper midtable, in terms of a 'good place to play', which means we have a fighting chance of attracting new talent into the club, if the deal is right and the prospects of game time in that position are genuine, which will at times, put us above some more attractive clubs. So, I don't think Carvalho is impossible, if the lad wants a real chance to play regularly at a high level in a positive, supportive environment.

Think you have your Saints coloured spectacles on here! Sorry but money talks. Newcastle will soon become a very attractive option to players, just like Man City did when they came into their fortune. Everton may be a shit show currently, but they are pretty much always going to be a more attractive option to us. Wolves, Leicester and Villa all currently looking a better option too, but that's the level we should be aiming to get back to (as we were before).

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Think you have your Saints coloured spectacles on here! Sorry but money talks. Newcastle will soon become a very attractive option to players, just like Man City did when they came into their fortune. Everton may be a shit show currently, but they are pretty much always going to be a more attractive option to us. Wolves, Leicester and Villa all currently looking a better option too, but that's the level we should be aiming to get back to (as we were before).

Newcastle is not Manchester , it is a small town with open country around it ,not much industry left and close to Gateshead and Sunderland !!!

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Newcastle is not Manchester , it is a small town with open country around it ,not much industry left and close to Gateshead and Sunderland !!!

Have you ever been to Newcastle? I get the impression it's a pretty cosmopolitan city with a lot going for it. When I've been through on the train I've thought it looks an excellent place.

Don't understand the reference to there not being much industry and there being open country around it - are those things that put off modern footballers? Having stunning coast and countryside, and less industry makes the place more appealing still, no?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

It isn't a town... it is a city.

It isn't small. The city itself is 300k and the Tyneside conurbation is 900k (8th largest in the UK)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

You've never been to Newcastle then. But nice try.

Actually I have regularly over the last 20 years , parts of it are ok . There is a lot of history , the main industry was coal mining and engineering . As you say there is the night life , good if you like stag / hen parties ! It is not a rich city . The centre is being developed but office blocks are springing up now . It can be icy cold esp with a NE wind off the north sea , each to their own but it won’t attract top prem players like a magnet 😋

1 minute ago, East Kent Saint said:

Actually I have regularly over the last 20 years , parts of it are ok . There is a lot of history , the main industry was coal mining and engineering . As you say there is the night life , good if you like stag / hen parties ! It is not a rich city . The centre is being developed but office blocks are springing up now . It can be icy cold esp with a NE wind off the north sea , each to their own but it won’t attract top prem players like a magnet 😋

Players have many reasons to join clubs and like being there. Look at why this chap said about Norwich, not the first place you’d think of as a destination for premier league players but a lot going on it seems 

B72F79C1-4B7A-49F3-A197-21FA446C692F.jpeg

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Glad you have now described it as a city (which it is) rather than a small town (which it isn't).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't a town... it is a city.

It isn't small. The city itself is 300k and the Tyneside conurbation is 900k (8th largest in the UK)

MLG you do realise words only account for like 8% of communication with body language and tone being  the other 92%.

If someone couldn't translate your posts they would think you're the dude who always gives his team in the pub quiz a name which he thinks is funny but the rest of the pub just thinks virgins and then argues with the pub quiz master that the answers to his questions were wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Mentioned in conjunction with Carvalho at Fulham, but everyone wants him.

https://theathletic.com/3082148/2022/01/21/fabio-carvalhos-future-fulham-liverpool-and-a-free-scoring-prodigy-managed-by-his-family?source=user-shared-article

Summary is Liverpool are keen, Barcelona have watched him and a huge amount of other clubs are interested (only Liv & Barca specified).

Also says his family deal with everything but agents like Mendes are trying to squeeze in to get a slice of the pie.

Vibe I got was it would be a very difficult deal to do and he is probably too well known for us to have a realistic chance.

42 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://theathletic.com/3082148/2022/01/21/fabio-carvalhos-future-fulham-liverpool-and-a-free-scoring-prodigy-managed-by-his-family?source=user-shared-article

Summary is Liverpool are keen, Barcelona have watched him and a huge amount of other clubs are interested (only Liv & Barca specified).

Also says his family deal with everything but agents like Mendes are trying to squeeze in to get a slice of the pie.

Vibe I got was it would be a very difficult deal to do and he is probably too well known for us to have a realistic chance.

He seems like exactly our kind of signing tbh young good potential and could be got cheap so perfect for the moneyball approach ..

Personally don’t see him going to Liverpool, even if that rumour is true,, with mane and Salah absolutely locked starters he’s gonna be a squad player at best 

25 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

He seems like exactly our kind of signing tbh young good potential and could be got cheap so perfect for the moneyball approach ..

Personally don’t see him going to Liverpool, even if that rumour is true,, with mane and Salah absolutely locked starters he’s gonna be a squad player at best 

Yep agree re the Liverpool bit, and they have Harvey Elliott nd the young lad who has just started playing, and Curtis Jones. Dont see that one at all, would be crazy to go there.

13 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

MLG you do realise words only account for like 8% of communication with body language and tone being  the other 92%.

If someone couldn't translate your posts they would think you're the dude who always gives his team in the pub quiz a name which he thinks is funny but the rest of the pub just thinks virgins and then argues with the pub quiz master that the answers to his questions were wrong.

Whenever I read an MLG post, I can only ever envisage Gareth Keenan

spacer.png

• Haha 12

14 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

The Quizlamic State?

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/southampton-fc-transfer-rumours/southampton-hull-city-keane-lewis-potter-the-times-gary-jacob-latest-sfc-transfer-news-latest-rumours/

⬆️ Article above refers to a report in The Times & mentions we’re one of the clubs looking at Keane Lewis-Potter at Hull. (Not the 1st time his name has been mentioned).