January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

5 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Do you think we will be getting anyone in? How is the right back situation looking regarding Livramento. Reason I ask is we were scouting that Calvin Ramsay lad at Aberdeen, Bologna going to stick a 3 million bid in surely we should aswell? if he is highly rated. 

I still think we are also missing a creative tadic type player who can link the attack. 

Livramento will be back after the break according to Ralph, so not as bad after-all thankfully. Let's hope there's not flareups over the break.

Personally I don't see us being in a position of desperation for anyone new, more of a position of 'nice to have' and getting 'nice to have' signings in January is probably not the best idea. Might as well wait until the summer to sort the GK and number 10 situation out, we should have enough for the remainder of this season without having to panic in the next week.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Do you think we will be getting anyone in? How is the right back situation looking regarding Livramento. Reason I ask is we were scouting that Calvin Ramsay lad at Aberdeen, Bologna going to stick a 3 million bid in surely we should aswell? if he is highly rated. 

I still think we are also missing a creative tadic type player who can link the attack. 

We are, but we’re in a position where we’re not going to go down and we’re not going to achieve anything more than mid table. 

It’s pointless paying January prices when we don’t really need to. we’re best served waiting until the summer. 

As for the RB, we don’t need another. Under no circumstances should be looking to sell KWP. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

We are, but we’re in a position where we’re not going to go down and we’re not going to achieve anything more than mid table. 

It’s pointless paying January prices when we don’t really need to. we’re best served waiting until the summer. 

As for the RB, we don’t need another. Under no circumstances should be looking to sell KWP. 

Except Broja, who’s price could be higher in the summer.

2 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Except Broja, who’s price could be higher in the summer.

Sorry, yeah good point. I was referring to anyone new. 

I wouldn’t be holding off to get Broja, if possible. Sadly; I don’t think Chelsea will sell for a price we’re willing to pay and/or he’ll have other, better, options. 

Edited by Dman

Just now, disconnect said:

How much would we sell for? 30-40 mil? Or double that for Newcastle 🤣😜

‘Apparently’ they’ve offered within the region of £30m. Tbh in January I don’t see that as anywhere close to enough. £50m before you’d even consider it, which I still don’t think we’d sell to them. 

2 minutes ago, disconnect said:

How much would we sell for? 30-40 mil? Or double that for Newcastle 🤣😜

Just now, Dman said:

‘Apparently’ they’ve offered within the region of £30m. Tbh in January I don’t see that as anywhere close to enough. £50m before you’d even consider it, which I still don’t think we’d sell to them. 

Newcastle tried to sign him. He chose us over them. 

Just now, manji said:

Newcastle tried to sign him. He chose us over them. 

Possibly. That was before they could offer him triple his wages though. 

Should they stay up, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he was interested in the summer. 

• Like 1

Broja would unfortunately be a wet dream for Moyes. He likes a big powerful forward upfront, be it Cahill, Fellaini, Lukaku, Saha, Arnautovic and now Antonio. Broja has the attributes he loves and has a bit more than the others as a striker, other than Lukaku when he was at Everton. And of course Broja was game changing in both West Ham matches this season.

When we got Puncheon in the January window when he was on loan at MK Dons, I believe that we also had to pay a fee to MK Dons to end the loan, so could be possible this month, but we would receive a fee.

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

Possibly. That was before they could offer him triple his wages though. 

Should they stay up, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he was interested in the summer. 

Said weeks ago that Howe would be very aware of the talents of Salisu. Hope they don't offer him really silly money on the quiet to unsettle him and then try to get him for a lower transfer fee than he is worth. We all know how football works.

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Said weeks ago that Howe would be very aware of the talents of Salisu. Hope they don't offer him really silly money on the quiet to unsettle him and then try to get him for a lower transfer fee than he is worth. We all know how football works.

Not sure that there is a lot of love lost between us and Newcastle at the moment so Saints will play real hard-ball I would imagine.....

• Like 1

I would like to find a keeper that can throw a bit, there is a great benefit in a keeper who can start an attack with a throw when you have a player like Broja who can make the most of it rather than waiting a minute for the other side to reset and then shanking it over the sideline anyway and giving it back to them for free.

Significantly higher wages are possible in our business model for the kind of player - and character - you build a squad around.

The key prerequisite is that we don't squander a big chunk of the wage budget on dross, or sign marginal players to long term contracts. And we don't pee big transfer budget money away on risky gambles. The biggest takeaways of of the last five years.

I don't think that any of this is lost on the new ownership group.

Salisu's decision to not join the Ghana squad was quite telling, with regard to his character and comfort level at the club.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Looking at how he has behaved since joining us and all that has been written (about him being shy, taking time to settle in new environments, being level headed, etc) I'm not going to worry myself about him having his head turned just yet. Even if we were to do so (which we won't this month for sure) I also don't think there is any chance we would sell for anything south of £50m. White cost Arsenal that and, imo, Salisu is better. 55-60m for me.

On a side note, couldn't understand why some posters were wetting their knickers over KWP demanding a move away last week. Hopefully his post match comments on Saturday have put that rumour to bed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Another Sali update. I like this one more so I'll believe this one.

Screenshot_20220124-141510~2.png

Knowing how these shite clickbait Twitter feeds work they probably sourced from here.

Edited by manji

40 minutes ago, Minsk said:

O a side note, couldn't understand why some posters were wetting their knickers over KWP demanding a move away last week. Hopefully his post match comments on Saturday have put that rumour to bed.

In have to hold my hands up and take responsibility for that. 

Someone posted a rumour that we were looking at another young RB from Aberdeen (I think) and suggested it could be cover for an injured Tino. I merely raised the suggestion that if we are indeed looking for another RB then it would be more likely be to replace KWP who might be looking to move on having lost his place.

There was never anything concrete that he definitely was so I'm sorry if that was the impression some got.

• Like 2

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

The source is in the Tweet, it is from a Daily Telegraph journalist.

Yes you are correct I should have read the whole tweet. I get annoyed with these random rumours, yes I know I should know better 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Someone posted a rumour that we were looking at another young RB from Aberdeen (I think) and suggested it could be cover for an injured Tino. I merely raised the suggestion that if we are indeed looking for another RB then it would be more likely be to replace KWP who might be looking to move on having lost his place.

There was never anything concrete that he definitely was so I'm sorry if that was the impression some got.

I don’t think anyone was suggesting he definitely had, just that it was a possibility. Which is a fairly reasonable thing to speculate on.

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

There were Leicester and Southampton scouts at the Aberdeen v Rangers match for definite. Watching Calvin Ramsey the RB everyman and his dog have been linked with him. I watched the game and thought he would be one for the future. 

I'm sure most of us don't have an issue with selling players to 'big' clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs etc. The issue with rumours at the moment is that its clubs that we have been ahead of in recent years; Villa, Newcastle, West Ham etc. We can not afford for players like Salisu, JWP, Broja to choose these other teams ahead of us and I hope that Dragan will provide the funds to keep hold of these key players or we have no hope of pushing for Europe any time soon.

Just now, tunit said:

I'm sure most of us don't have an issue with selling players to 'big' clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs etc. The issue with rumours at is that its clubs that we have been ahead of in recent years; Villa, Newcastle, West Ham etc. We can not for players like Salisu, JWP, Broja these other ahead of us and I hope that Dragan will provide the funds to keep hold of these key players or we have no hope of pushing for Europe any time .

This. Although still difficult to take when anyone would choose Spurs. They don't even have their own song.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, manji said:

I get the new owners aren’t going to throw money around but I’d like to think they have enough clout to keep players like Salisu and Broja.

Exactly. I'm actually much more excited about the possibility of keeping some of our better players for longer than I am about spending big on new players. If we can get out of the cycle of selling our better players every few years and having to rebuild, and actually get a longer term project going whilst accumulating and developing reasonably priced talent then I think we could really go places. I just hope Ralph is able to convince the players that there is a long term strategy in place here that is worth staying for, and the owners can step in with a bit more on the wages side if required. I'm a lot more confident of this post take-over, and it would be really gutting if we ended up losing any of our most promising players in this window or the next - hopefully these rumours are just that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mattster said:

Exactly. I'm actually much more excited about the possibility of keeping some of our better players for longer than I am about spending big on new players. If we can get out of the cycle of selling our better players every few years and having to rebuild, and actually get a longer term project going whilst accumulating and developing reasonably priced talent then I think we could really go places. I just hope Ralph is able to convince the players that there is a long term strategy in place here that is worth staying for, and the owners can step in with a bit more on the wages side if required. I'm a lot more confident of this post take-over, and it would be really gutting if we ended up losing any of our most promising players in this window or the next - hopefully these rumours are just that.

Reality is that we will only keep players like Salisu for longer than we have players in the past if we can get him to sign a second contract, unlike the likes of Clyne, Wanyama, Hojbjerg, Ings, Vestergaard etc who declined and then put us in a position where we have to sell. 

JWP aside, it must be years since a sought after player signed a contract extension.

• Like 1

We’re going to face some challenges based on the justified perception that we’re a selling club. It will take time to shift that perception but it helps that three of our most coveted players (JWP, Salisu and KWP) are locked up until the end of 2023-24 or beyond. It would also help if our new owners refused outright to entertain offers, with a “things have changed here” public statement.

The wild card is KWP. For me he’s our best defensive RB with the ability to be very effective going forward, as he proved on Saturday. However, Ralph doesn’t seem to see him as the RB starter, and I don’t think we’re as balanced defensively (or KWP’s as happy) when he’s playing on the left. Over there we’ve got the adequate Perraud and the highly regarded Small.

For a club of our stature to have two starting RBs of that quality is like being a middle class family with two BMWs in the driveway. At some point we have to decide whether we can afford to keep both of them, or would be better to sell one to fund improvements in other dimensions in our life.

Our operating model is to have a quality starter with a talented, young backup.

I really, really hope KWP doesn’t go anywhere but it wouldn’t surprise me if he was a Summer departure, but we’d need to bring in someone much better than Valery.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mattster said:

Great point, but, as fans, will we ever know?

If a young gun asks to leave, how can we tell he stayed an extra season, compared to what he might have done prior to the takeover.? I think you might be right, players chasing a bigger pay day might find the differential between what we can now offer and the 'big six' is less than it was, and some will stay longer, and those staying should encourage others to also stay, but we all know, ultimately, that there are very few MLTs around who spend all their career at one club. So, at some point Salisu, Livramento, Diallo will all move on. I guess, if we can keep each for a season longer, through higher wages and the new regime, it has to be good news, and might also make us more attractive to new recruits.

• Like 1