January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

I have to admit it seems like the first time in a while where we're being linked with all these players, usually our transfers are kept on the quiet side and no one has a clue a day until it is done.

Is it a new tactic to ramp up pressure, or are the media just enjoying this new scattergun approach of "linking players to clubs with new owners", or have we got a scout who isn't doing a good job at keeping secrets?

38 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I have to admit it seems like the first time in a while where we're being linked with all these players, usually our transfers are kept on the quiet side and no one has a clue a day until it is done.

Is it a new tactic to ramp up pressure, or are the media just enjoying this new scattergun approach of "linking players to clubs with new owners", or have we got a scout who isn't doing a good job at keeping secrets?

Combination of a lot of things I guess. Generally it's a quiet window up to now, media need to drum up stories especially as we're coming to the end. (Newcastle being linked with every player who has played football being an example of that!)

Agents and clubs know we have new ownership, there have been snippets shared in the sense that we're now in a position to act quicker, we've had an injection of cash etc...so you'll see our names dropped in the hat I guess. Whereas before everyone just automatically assumed we were skint beyond our wildest dreams, so they didn't even use our name.

Edited by S-Clarke

Anjorin was born and raised in Poole and also had a brief spell at Saints as a kid.

Sounds from all the reports like summer is more likely, as we can't loan him this window.

Probably one of the ones Ralph referred to when he said the takeover would give us the chance to move a bit earlier on some of our targets.

The Athletic article was interesting. Apparently Rangnick compares him to De Bruyne which is a bit overly complimentary based on my YouTube research but he does look like he could cope in the prem. Other thing of note was the option to buy at 17M with buy back at 34M, if they agreed that with Locomotive then see no reason why they wouldn’t do it with another club.

6 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

This guy is also suggesting we are putting an offer of £23-25m on the table for Broja this month.

So if Anjorin goes through that will be four deals in little over six months with Chelsea. There are two ways of looking at this. Either it suits Chelsea to see their best youngsters getting game time, and there is a buy back clause so that no one ever truly escapes the net, or, they get pretty sick to death of all their talent being stolen. I strongly suggest the former. It is all very well going to Locomotiv or Arnhem for game time, but it isn't the Premier League. It doesn't provide real experience of what the parent club's players are living with every week. However, a top club, well run, and just an hour away down the M3 from Cobham has some appeal, especially if you can bring these prodigal sons back again once out of nappies and competing at the highest level. Of course, such an arrangement to develop talent, if formalised, would surely be illegal, but a sale, or loan, with a buy back option...... It could really work well for both clubs. Chelsea get their finest brought onto the big stage and apprenticed elsewhere, thereby showing future generations that there is a real opportunity to succeed, whilst we get top young players, filtered and developed at no cost to us, to replace our own, rather stuttering, youth development programme. Sure, we lose the players after two or three seasons, but we do that anyway. That is the Southampton Way. And, we get good players, and sell them on for good money.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Nice couple of backhanded compliments from the manager about Saints and the player! 

"They have produced a lot of players, probably not so much in recent years, but in the past."

“It’s been great since he came in pre-season. We liked him immediately, he’s trained every day and he’s given himself the opportunity to go to a good club, but that’s all it is.... He is a long way off being a footballer yet, but he knows that himself.”

I thought he sounded pretty close to be fair, 17 in March and seemingly certain to get a contract as a professional footballer...

Edited by disconnect

4 hours ago, Pwoite said:

So if Anjorin goes through that will be four deals in little over six months with Chelsea. There are two ways of looking at this. Either it suits Chelsea to see their best youngsters getting game time, and there is a buy back clause so that no one ever truly escapes the net, or, they get pretty sick to death of all their talent being stolen. I strongly suggest the former. It is all very well going to Locomotiv or Arnhem for game time, but it isn't the Premier League. It doesn't provide real experience of what the parent club's players are living with every week. However, a top club, well run, and just an hour away down the M3 from Cobham has some appeal, especially if you can bring these prodigal sons back again once out of nappies and competing at the highest level. Of course, such an arrangement to develop talent, if formalised, would surely be illegal, but a sale, or loan, with a buy back option...... It could really work well for both clubs. Chelsea get their finest brought onto the big stage and apprenticed elsewhere, thereby showing future generations that there is a real opportunity to succeed, whilst we get top young players, filtered and developed at no cost to us, to replace our own, rather stuttering, youth development programme. Sure, we lose the players after two or three seasons, but we do that anyway. That is the Southampton Way. And, we get good players, and sell them on for good money.

Yeah, the other thing you have to factor in is that it's much harder now to buy young but unproven players from abroad due to work permits.  I saw an interview with Rasmus Ankerson when he was director at Brentford basically admitting they would no longer be able to pursue the model that had got them promoted (buy cheap unknown Scandinavians).  That means you can either develop your own, buy established but expensive, or raid the big club academies with the promise of first team football.  It's probably more important than ever for clubs like Saints to have a good reputation when it comes to developing and attracting younger players.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Are we actually going to spend c£40m on two Chelsea academy players? 

Might potentially be the best 40m we have ever spent if we do.

Does anyone know how much Broja, Anurin and Tino have played together previously?

Man City youngster wanted on loan

Swansea, Queens Park Rangers and Rangers have all made approaches to sign the Manchester City and England Under-20 attacking midfielder James McAtee on loan.

The 19-year-old, who is regarded as one of the most exciting of City’s emerging talents, is in demand among a host of clubs eager to secure his services for the remainder of the season.

Leicester, Brighton, Southampton and Aston Villa have all given varying consideration to a permanent move for McAtee but City are unwilling to sell a player they have high hopes for.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-transfer-chelsea-armando-broja-6557071

The content here seems very plausible.

Aside from someone like Armitage, I wonder whether we will fill up our second loan with a too good to turn down opportunity like Alli or Minamino?

Djenepo and Walcott are both massively out of favour and like Djenepo, Moi has 18mths on his contract so I'm sure we will try to sell Moi and Moussa for anything we can get in the summer, especially if Anjorin is a target for then.

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Havent Lyon come out and said there is no such deal in place?

Think they said it was 100% agreed. Probably to get a bit more money out of Newcastle.  His medical is today I think.

I actually think they’ve recruited well, so far this month, him and Trippier are great signings. Wood bit of an odd one. But if it keeps them up cos Burnley don’t score, then I guess it’s good business?

They still need a CB, which I guess will happen in next few days. 

It's impossible not to look at Newcastle with a tiny bit of jealousy, it must be exciting for their fans, but it's a short-term fix geared to getting instant success. It's not particularly being earnt.

Whilst I'd love a tycoon owner....I get much more satisfaction by watching a club diligently scout and develop players and a team over a period of time. We might get picked off from time to time, but as long as we're setup right we can go and start the development process again.

Getting success doing it the way we do will feel much more rewarding in my opinion. As supporters we need patience (which in the world of football is rare) but my opinion is that we could be heading towards good times with this current model we're pursuing.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's impossible not to look at Newcastle with a tiny bit of jealousy, it must be exciting for their fans, but it's a short-term fix geared to getting instant success. It's not particularly being earnt.

Whilst I'd love a tycoon owner....I get much more satisfaction by watching a club diligently scout and develop players and a team over a period of time. We might get picked off from time to time, but as long as we're setup right we can go and start the development process again.

Getting success doing it the way we do will feel much more rewarding in my opinion. As supporters we need patience (which in the world of football is rare) but my opinion is that we could be heading towards good times with this current model we're pursuing.

I was quite excited after the Swiss takeover getting top League 1 players and winning the JPT so you were not exited as we bought our way to success

I find that pretty strange and feel your post is a little hypocritical most of the large clubs in the top 6 diligently scout and have well run Academies where they devolop players

Thanks to Newcastle we now have Armstrong who they developed

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You're right, but it begs the question whether we'll ever get to see that success if any good season we have culminates in the team being pillaged and best plyers sold to start all over again.

I was lucky enough to be there in 1976, and would like to see something like it again but may be running out of years for it to happen.

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm completely satisfied with the way we are at the moment.  The only issue for me was the previous ownership, lacking vision and naive to this market.  Now that's sorted I look forward to a few rosy seasons of gentle development and stability with the manager being backed.  Decent football, respectable league position, a few giant killings and some decent cup runs.    

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, John B said:

I was quite excited after the Swiss takeover getting top League 1 players and winning the JPT so you were not exited as we bought our way to success

I find that pretty strange and feel your post is a little hypocritical most of the large clubs in the top 6 diligently scout and have well run Academies where they devolop players

Thanks to Newcastle we now have Armstrong who they developed

I think the expectation in L1 was that we'd get promoted from that level, but the Championship promotion was exciting because we didn't just spend money to get that promotion. We had Leicster throwing the cash around at that point with £5m on Maynard etc, so we certainly didn't throw the money around as such in our Championship season.

Do most of the large clubs scout correctly with patience over the development, or do they knee-jerk on a lot of signings? Chelsea have splurged over £150m on two forwards who don't look at odds with this league, whilst at the same time casting Broja out on loan twice. Man City went and spent £100m on Grealish when they had players like MacAtee in and around the squad who could have done his job this season, as he's not been great.

Newcastle gave up on Armstrong and let him go to L1, I'd say most of his development came at Coventry and then Blackburn.

I like the way we do it now, getting the best young players and building a young team that will grow together. It's kind the avenue we were going under Poch with the likes of Morgan, Jay, Lallana, Wanyama, Clyne, Shaw etc.

23 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

If Newcastle fans think they will be challenging for the Champions League places in the next 5 seasons they are deluding themselves.

Why?  West Ham went from just staying up to challenging for the CL in a couple of seasons.  They splashed some cash but not as much as Newcastle will be able to.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

If Newcastle fans think they will be challenging for the Champions League places in the next 5 seasons they are deluding themselves.

Why not give them a chance I for one would like to see more competition for CL places I would have thought it was quite feasible for Newcastle to be in the Top 8 in the next few years

Leicester have done well and West Ham are challenging now and Newcastle have a huge amount of money behind them but of curse the club has to remain in the PL this season

Both Chelsea and Man City have done really well under new ownership

28 minutes ago, Badger said:

You're right, but it begs the question whether we'll ever get to see that success if any good season we have culminates in the team being pillaged and best plyers sold to start all over again.

I was lucky enough to be there in 1976, and would like to see something like it again but may be running out of years for it to happen.

It's true and that is the downside....but if you do it right, and I look at examples of RB Lipzig and Dortmund then you can keep going again with the next generation. I think we'll have a slightly different situation now in the sense that we can move for replacements before we sell, that was the problem for us before. I'm sure we said we'd have liked to have got Armstrong in the year before we sold Ings to integrate him, but we couldn't buy him before selling first at the end of the day.

There's also a lot to be said of having players buying into a team and a project, if we make an environment here and they're suitably well paid...then they might not be running to get out of the door at the first opportunity.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think the expectation in L1 was that we'd get promoted from that level, but the Championship promotion was exciting because we didn't just spend money to get that promotion. We had Leicster throwing the cash around at that point with £5m on Maynard etc, so we certainly didn't throw the money around as such in our Championship season.

Do most of the large clubs scout correctly with patience over the development, or do they knee-jerk on a lot of signings? Chelsea have splurged over £150m on two forwards who don't look at odds with this league, whilst at the same time casting Broja out on loan twice. Man City went and spent £100m on Grealish when they had players like MacAtee in and around the squad who could have done his job this season, as he's not been great.

Newcastle gave up on Armstrong and let him go to L1, I'd say most of his development came at Coventry and then Blackburn.

I like the way we do it now, getting the best young players and building a young team that will grow together. It's kind the avenue we were going under Poch with the likes of Morgan, Jay, Lallana, Wanyama, Clyne, Shaw etc.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It's true and that is the downside....but if you do it right, and I look at examples of RB Lipzig and Dortmund then you can keep going again with the next generation. I think we'll have a slightly different situation now in the sense that we can move for replacements before we sell, that was hamstrung us before.

There's also a lot to be said of having players buying into a team and a project, if we make an environment here and they're suitably well paid...then they might not be running to get out of the door at the first opportunity.

We are a lower PL club I think you are wrong to think players will stay with us when they can get paid more and win trophies and play in Europe

What is the evidence for your theory especially as agents are always looking for the next pay day