January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Dean Henderson off to Newcastle on loan. Looks like they'll wrap up Dan Burn for £15m as well. They're also sniffing around Conor Cody for £35m.

Newcastle one of the clubs in for Ousmane Dembele.

Pretty scattergun to say the least.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Dean Henderson off to Newcastle on loan. Looks like they'll wrap up Dan Burn for £15m as well. They're also sniffing around Conor Cody for £35m.

Tbh it sorts an awful lot of their problems

Dembele is an odd signing but is undoubtedly very talented

Coady, Burn and Henderson comfortably improve some of their worst positions, atleast enough to drag them clear of the bottom three… unfortunately 

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Tbh it sorts an awful lot of their problems

Dembele is an odd signing but is undoubtedly very talented

Coady, Burn and Henderson comfortably improve some of their worst positions, atleast enough to drag them clear of the bottom three… unfortunately 

Can't disagree with the GK, think he's an upgrade for them for sure. Not confirmed yet, but apparently going to happen.

Not sure if Coady was one of their scattergun approaches when they were looking at CB, but with them now signing Burn you wonder if they'll still get him?

Dembele was a great player at Dortmund, clearly has huge fitness issues though. Definitely a match winner on form. Don't think they'll get him though, Chelsea is my guess.

17 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

They ll be soon above Everton, money talks

Everton have spent something lie 500m though? And they didn't one around signing players like wood or tripper with only a couple of years left in them at top level.

14 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Not encountered the endless stream of cunty newcastle fans on every single football related post on social media then? There aren't many more irritating than them now. 

And begrudge then makes it sound like they've got something good. Their club is basically gone. It's just a regime's plaything/money laundering tool now. Cheering that on blankly just tells me there was never anything they actually supported. Players don't matter, owners don't matter, managers don't matter, no coherent strategy or style of play, no focus on academy. Just get whoever is decent and will follow the money and shove them in a black and white shirt. 

And "top 6 no matter what" is a a ridiculous comment. As if City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd, Spurs, Arsenal will let that happen. As if they wouldn't need to spend very well (well, not scattergun) and integrate them all under a good manager with a coherent plan to even become better than Leicester, West Ham, Wolves and Villa. If they stay up and come 10th next season they've done well. 

Spot on. They're a dead club now.  Also, as a fanbase - They've been crying about how much money Ashley spent, but they've had a net spend of over £120m under him and have spent circa £500m on players since he'd been in charge. Their record spend is £40m. There are plenty of clubs in the country that could only dream of that kind of outlay. What about us, Brentford, palace, leeds, norwich, west brom, forest (a bigger club imo trophy wise).

Then you have how they treated Bruce, which was absolutely disgusting - and he isn't the first manager to get that treatment from them.

Plus ofc, they all started wearing Saudi headgarb to celebrate the arrival of blood money from one of the most oppressive regimes on the planet, whose countless crimes range from ordering the murder and dismemberment of Khashoggi to funding/supporting the yemen civil war.

League wise - There is no way that Eddie Howe and old players like trippier and wood will get them into the top 6. Which means they're pouring money down the drain re FFP. To get top 6 they have to displace one of United, City, Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, and even teams like Wolves and hopefully ourselves.

Can see their owners getting bored and putting their money into Inter Milan instead (rumoured to be buying them). https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/inter-milan-saudi-arabia-pif-takeover-suning-serie-a/

Ultimately PIF are only allowed one club in European competition and Inter would get there before Newcastle.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

And another one that wouldn’t have played against us.

Yeah exactly this. Hopefully we use it to motivate us. They've cheated / fudged the rules - pure and simple.

Edited by Saint86

7 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Not really the point - let’s see how you feel should he score from say a corner put in by trippier.

As opposed to a corner taken and scored by two of their current players? We are playing Newcastle United and need to stop them scoring no matter which names are on the team sheet. What if we signed Messi and Ronaldo in this window? Happy for them to play against Newcastle? 

Edited by sadoldgit
Sp
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Sorry Micheal Owen 😂

What exactly is your point ?

Do we have the unfortunate record of losing the most points from winning positions ? Yes

Regardless of timings of goals that is something we need to work on (and we’ve been getting better) but in the context of ‘who comes to sign Ralph’ its a pertinent point

My point is what does it matter?  The record books and league tables reflect the final score. It makes no difference who scores first does it? Unless your an obsessive for stats. If it was the other way round and Ralph got the most points from a losing position would he be hailed as a hero, or just a manager who was constantly battling back from a losing position and therefore flawed? Each to his own I supposed but if you frequently score in the early stages of the game it is obviously that the other team have a better chance of turning it around does it not?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

As opposed to a corner taken and scored by two of their current players? We are playing Newcastle United and need to stop them scoring no matter which names are on the team sheet. What if we signed Messi and Renaldo in this window? Happy for them to play against Newcastle? 

Umm, we weren’t the club getting games called off with a playing staff of 65 due to injuries to our best players though were we?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Why scattergun? They’re signing good premier league players. It’s not scattergun at all. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

As opposed to a corner taken and scored by two of their current players? We are playing Newcastle United and need to stop them scoring no matter which names are on the team sheet. What if we signed Messi and Renaldo in this window? Happy for them to play against Newcastle? 

Agree with your first point. Your second is frankly a load of bollocks.

I'd be disappointed if we signed Dan Burn. Every time I've seen him he's reminded me of Vestergaard without the diagonal balls... So you're left wondering what he does actually do. Easy signing for Newcastle, as he's from that way, but a bit of a comedown from the centre-backs they were linked to at the beginning of the window.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

It wasnt us that got the game at Newcastle called off. As usual you miss the point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Spot on. They're a dead club now.  Also, as a fanbase - They've been crying about how much money Ashley spent, but they've had a net spend of over £120m under him and have spent circa £500m on players since he'd been in charge. Their record spend is £40m. There are plenty of clubs in the country that could only dream of that kind of outlay. What about us, Brentford, palace, leeds, norwich, west brom, forest (a bigger club imo trophy wise).

Then you have how they treated Bruce, which was absolutely disgusting - and he isn't the first manager to get that treatment from them.

Plus ofc, they all started wearing Saudi headgarb to celebrate the arrival of blood money from one of the most oppressive regimes on the planet, whose countless crimes range from ordering the murder and dismemberment of Khashoggi to funding/supporting the yemen civil war.

League wise - There is no way that Eddie Howe and old players like trippier and wood will get them into the top 6. Which means they're pouring money down the drain re FFP. To get top 6 they have to displace one of United, City, Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, and even teams like Wolves and hopefully ourselves.

Can see their owners getting bored and putting their money into Inter Milan instead (rumoured to be buying them). https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/inter-milan-saudi-arabia-pif-takeover-suning-serie-a/

Ultimately PIF are only allowed one club in European competition and Inter would get there before Newcastle.

Agree that they've probably lost the spirit of the club, and it might become a soulless money churning playthi9ng for Arabs, a Chelsea, or Man City-on-Tyne, if you like but I suspect their supporters will cope with that if it brings a winning team.

The headgear thing is annoying, but you can imagine some of our saps doing likewise if it were us without thinking too deeply about what or who they were paying homage to.

Their recruitment policy isn't as 'scattergun' as many want to believe. Howe is recruiting players for the relegation battle ahead of them, players with some experience of the league they're playing in. But you're right that the likes of Burn and Wood will be cast aside at the end of the season. As might Howe. Wonder if that will wipe the  smug look off of his face. Probably not if they pay his contract up.

Not sure about y9ur last point re Inter Milan, although I've read similar comments to this on here before, bit not sire it's correct as Red Bull seem to have managed to skirt round it, Leipzig were even drawn against Salzburg in the last year or so. How have they done that ?

Optimistic people may say he'll get chances/start at Liverpool, but it will be few and far between. As said above, he has 5 or 6 internationals and premier league champions in front of him.

He's at risk here of totally stagnating his career when he didn't need to, he'd have been better off moving to someone like us for a couple of years, getting a first team place every week to prove himself at the top level, and then getting his move to Liverpool once they're looking to evolve from Mane/Salah etc in a couple of years time.

If it happens I think he's moved there too quickly.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Optimistic people may say he'll get chances/start at Liverpool, but it will be few and far between. As said above, he has 5 or 6 internationals and premier league champions in front of him.

He's at risk here of totally stagnating his career when he didn't need to, he'd have been better off moving to someone like us for a couple of years, getting a first team place every week to prove himself at the top level, and then getting his move to Liverpool once they're looking to evolve from Mane/Salah etc in a couple of years time.

Didn’t he hire Mendes as co-advisory?  Something that screams: “I want the big move”

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What's stopping him from joining Liverpool then him being loaned out to clubs our size though?

In the future, Liverpool might not want to pay an exorbitant fee so from their perspective, and perhaps his, might be better off joining Liverpool now.  He might impress in training, learn a few things off the current wealth of talent they have. I don't think this will stagnate his career unless Liverpool do just leave him on the bench.

He could join us and not do well, and then he may find it unlikely to ever get a contract at a big 4/6/CL club.

5 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Looks like decisions will be made in the summer by the new owners. Presumably they'll decide if Ralph stays or goes before loosening the purse strings. After some of Ralph's off the cuff remarks recently about transfers leaves me wondering if he is still on the inside track.

Please explain in greater depth WTF you are talking about.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nta786 said:

What's stopping him from joining Liverpool then him being loaned out to clubs our size though?

In the future, Liverpool might not want to pay an exorbitant fee so from their perspective, and perhaps his, might be better off joining Liverpool now.  He might impress in training, learn a few things off the current wealth of talent they have. I don't think this will stagnate his career unless Liverpool do just leave him on the bench.

He could join us and not do well, and then he may find it unlikely to ever get a contract at a big 4/6/CL club.

I know a player or 2 (U23) from clubs around here, who’ve been shipped out on 2/3 loans to different clubs over a season or 2. 

Generally speaking they hate it and find it very difficult to settle. 

But I do agree with your last point, I guess it comes down to how much you back your ability. That being said, it would take a brave man to turn down the opportunity to join Liverpool. Not the sensible move, in my opinion, though. 

18 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Not encountered the endless stream of cunty newcastle fans on every single football related post on social media then? There aren't many more irritating than them now. 

And begrudge then makes it sound like they've got something good. Their club is basically gone. It's just a regime's plaything/money laundering tool now. Cheering that on blankly just tells me there was never anything they actually supported. Players don't matter, owners don't matter, managers don't matter, no coherent strategy or style of play, no focus on academy. Just get whoever is decent and will follow the money and shove them in a black and white shirt. 

And "top 6 no matter what" is a a ridiculous comment. As if City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd, Spurs, Arsenal will let that happen. As if they wouldn't need to spend very well (well, not scattergun) and integrate them all under a good manager with a coherent plan to even become better than Leicester, West Ham, Wolves and Villa. If they stay up and come 10th next season they've done well. 

Lol, come the summer they can buy Mbappe, Messi and Ronaldo for their bench. 
They are 3 times wealthier than Man City lol.

They will wipe the floor with everyone. All they need is the best players and a decent manager. Footballs a simple game.

Curious as to why - big talent though he's hyped up to be - Carvalho hasn't featured for England at any level above U18s, and not since 2019.

You'd think the FA would be trying to fast track him into the U21s and making him feel important, knowing Portugal have a claim on him. It's not like they don't pick loads of other Championship players.

1 minute ago, DT said:

Sounds like Targett off to Newcastle too in their 'operation just stay up before jettisoning them next season including the manager'

Cynical bastards

Does seem to be a bit like that. Still don't understand that the richest club in the world would want to stick with the signings and manager, but surely they all know that and will take the coin when dismissed. 

11 minutes ago, DT said:

Sounds like Targett off to Newcastle too in their 'operation just stay up before jettisoning them next season including the manager'

Cynical bastards

I wonder if we have a sell on? I imagine he wouldn't be less than £15m, so we may get a tiny % of the fee if we did a sell on.

• Like 1