January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

It stunk for me the moment it was called off to be honest, what stinks even more is that they haven't played any of their re-arranged fixtures yet. They have a perfect opportunity in FA Cup weekend (not to play us, but another of their called off games). There have been some mid-week gaps in the last couple of weeks to replay it, it's not even been spoken about. The Brentford called off game was re-arranged pretty quickly.

They want to spend their money before they play their rearranged games so they have the best possible chance to win those games, that in it's self is creating an unfair advantage given the money they have to play with. They're so short on players, so unfit etc...but perfectly fit enough to fly away to Saudi Arabia and play a 90 min dick swinging friendly match.  It's so obvious what they're doing, I'm surprised some are not seeing it.

The call off criteria has been changed now, so you have to have at least '4 positive' cases - Why the f**k it wasn't that before I will never know, shambles from the first minute by the PL and they've allowed this situation to manifest it's self.

Newcastle's only games to rearrange is us and Everton. Both us and Everton are still in FA Cup, so can't re-arrange that weekend.

Perhaps Everton didn't want to arrange in the week before the 2 week break, but really that was the only time they could have definitely played it.

Obviously we can't play them on the 5th Jan if they have an outbreak on the 2nd.

It is ridiculous of the PL not to organise some more games by now though, I can only assume they are waiting for FA cup fixtures to be fulfilled to see who is in it, but not ideal for fans at all.

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

so obviously the near-£100 million they've spent so far is just a stop-gap measure then ?

To be fair it’s not like the expenditure is a write off, they will all have a residual value, even if they are short term solutions. Assuming they are all worthless, going forward  £100 million to stay in the prem is probably a good  value in their circumstances.

Don't get the love for Johnstone and personally not convinced he is much better than McCarthy or Forster, if at all.

As I've said before, I am fairly certain that once Forster goes he will be replaced by a younger keeper to compete with McCarthy, not someone who will instantly be the no1. No chance McCarthy's new contract is less money than he was on before so imagine he is one of the higher paid players in our squad.

Seems pointless spending 3 years moaning how our 2nd choice keeper is our highest paid player, finally get rid of him and then still end up with a 2nd choice keeper who is one of the highest earners.

If we want to sign a genuine no1 this summer then we should be letting Forster and McCarthy go - which seemingly is not what is happening.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Don't get the love for Johnstone and personally not convinced he is much better than McCarthy or Forster, if at all.

As I've said before, I am fairly certain that once Forster goes he will be replaced by a younger keeper to compete with McCarthy, not someone who will instantly be the no1. No chance McCarthy's new contract is less money than he is on now so imagine he is one of the higher paid players in our squad.

Seems pointless spending 3 years moaning how our 2nd choice keeper is our highest paid player, finally get rid of him and then still end up with a 2nd choice keeper who is one of the highest earners.

If we want to sign a genuine no1 this summer then we should be letting Forster and McCarthy go - which seemingly is not what is happening.

Oh FFS not this nonsense again.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

Just taken a browse at a WBA forum - A lot of them seem to think it's a done deal. 

I think they're just putting 2 and 2 together. A loan for one of their GK's was called off (he was heading to Luton) and there was an article about us and interest etc, so they've just assumed it'll happen.

I still think it's potentially one for the summer, I can't see how we could carry McCarthy, Forster, Cabellero, Johnstone and Lewis as first team goalkeepers for the rest of the season.

Edited by S-Clarke

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

As I've said before, I am fairly certain that once Forster goes he will be replaced by a younger keeper to compete with McCarthy, not someone who will instantly be the no1. No chance McCarthy's new contract is less money than he was on before so imagine he is one of the higher paid players in our squad.

What on earth makes you think that? I can't imagine he'll be inundated with big offers from elsewhere in the summer.

I'm pretty certain we'll be signing a new no.1 in the summer and if McCarthy stays and signs a new contract it will be on lesser terms and he'll be our backup, which is fine.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

What on earth makes you think that? I can't imagine he'll be inundated with big offers from elsewhere in the summer.

I'm pretty certain we'll be signing a new no.1 in the summer and if McCarthy stays and signs a new contract it will be on lesser terms and he'll be our backup, which is fine.

He signed it last summer when the club decided to renew his and let Fraser go. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

If he signed a new contract what possible reason is there for the club to not announce it? They announce contract extentions for 17 year olds in the academy, so why keep a first team player's contract a secret? Alternative is the story of a new deal being signed already is bullshit.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Well supposedly, but it's never been officially confirmed so depends what you believe.

If we weren't on the hunt for a genuine no.1 this summer I would be very disappointed.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If he signed a new contract what possible reason is there for the club to not announce it? They announce contract extentions for 17 year olds in the academy, so why keep a first team player's contract a secret? Alternative is the story of a new deal being signed already is bullshit.

Same with Jack Stephens. 15 months appx that it was reported by the Athletic, then we lost to Brentford in league cup and nothing since from what I gather. 

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Dan Sheldon is pretty much 100% it happened, both renewals. He said people at the club have told him, but the club have decided not to release the info.

I'd be surprised if someone so steadfast on that view was wrong, as it will totally kill his credibility.

Edited by S-Clarke

Seems odd unless its some sort of ploy to keeper FF motivated. 

Anyway Newcastle's transfer window is hilarious IMO, 3 players who can't get into other bottom half (ish) PL teams, an aging Trippier and an unknown in the Guimares (who is highly rated but seemingly has been ignored by Europe's elite). 

I mean they are better, but not by much. No quality centre-back in, no real challenger for Wilson who is injured, Targett arguably makes them weaker defensively IMO. 

They'll still probably stay up as everyone around is so bad, but still would be great to see them go down and I don't think 3 very mediocre signings, one decent one and one guy who may struggle to settle initially in the league suddenly means they are anything but relegation threatened. 

• Like 1

I really hope they go down, but think they should have enough to stay up now. Some decent business IMO.  They were never going to sign Mbappe and Neymar in this window, and they needed players who can come in and hit the ground running. I'm surprised they didn't go in for Caleta-Car who sounded like he was available for decent money.

A lot will still depend on Wilson & Saint Maximin, but we all know Howe can't organise a defence to save his life.

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I really hope they go down, but think they should have enough to stay up now. Some decent business IMO. 

Have they done decent business, though? Sure, they've improved their squad a little bit, but not in a major way. Wood is their only attacking signing, and he's got three goals this season.

Trippier's a good player, but Burn and Targett are back up options at most clubs in the league. Not to mention Howe's historical inability to organise a competent defence. I'm not convinced they're going to gel into a particularly impenetrable unit any time soon.

Guimaraes is a big upgrade, but you wouldn't expect a holding midfielder to have a massive impact one way or the other on their season.

Time will tell, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the bottom four places all the way to the end of the campaign.

The January window panned out how I expected.

Standing still might not be moving forward, but at least it isn't moving backwards.

Getting caught up in the Sky Sports excitement could well cost clubs dear!

Just wait till Toon want to shift DeadWood & Burn, who are on £90K a week and both 29/30.

We can ill afford any more mistakes. 

Trust in the path we are on. We are looking more healthy than any time in the last five years. 

On 31/01/2022 at 20:04, Matthew Le God said:

It's weird, but not inconceivable. I guess there are v few knock-on effects of a 17 year old signing an extension. 

Pure speculation - but you can imagine reasons why an extension for Stephens or McCarthy might be better to remain private (most obviously if you don't want other simialr players to get extensions, but also don't want to demotivate those players)

11 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

The January window panned out how I expected.

Standing still might not be moving forward, but at least it isn't moving backwards.

Getting caught up in the Sky Sports excitement could well cost clubs dear!

Just wait till Toon want to shift DeadWood & Burn, who are on £90K a week and both 29/30.

We can ill afford any more mistakes. 

Trust in the path we are on. We are looking more healthy than any time in the last five years. 

Mate, they could be on £900k a week and I’m sure they couldn’t give a flying feck if it allows them to progress to phase two of competing for top 6 next season 

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 09:34, Saint Garrett said:

I really hope they go down, but think they should have enough to stay up now. Some decent business IMO.  They were never going to sign Mbappe and Neymar in this window, and they needed players who can come in and hit the ground running. I'm surprised they didn't go in for Caleta-Car who sounded like he was available for decent money.

A lot will still depend on Wilson & Saint Maximin, but we all know Howe can't organise a defence to save his life.

I cant wait to play them so we can abuse them for their poor single use plastic reduction policy, we appear to be far superior club with a much lower carbon footprint :D

44 minutes ago, manji said:

EA3ACEFA-04D0-47D2-B5DF-B747B59EAB23.jpeg

Good to have players that are good enough to warrant interest from `bigger' fish. A bit disconcerting that the agent is already in talks with a suitor, all be it he is only doing his job.

Salisu is out of contract in 2024, so to maximise our return, I guess you would sell in the summer, or look to extend his contract, so as to avoid  situation where he only has a year left and the price starts to fall. Having said that, the Ings fee was sizeable, despite him only having a year left on his contract. So, maybe allowing a player to get within 12 months of leaving for free is not quite as bad as it seems, especially as you get an extra year of service from the player.

If the player knows Newcastle are interested, and the massive wages they will be able to pay, I suspect they won't rush into signing a new deal and getting `trapped' by a high asking fee. 

It must be a bloody nightmare running a football club. As soon as you find talent and get it working for you on the pitch it is taken by a bigger fish. How on earth do you ever build anything long term...

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 20:11, S-Clarke said:

Dan Sheldon is pretty much 100% it happened, both renewals. He said people at the club have told him, but the club have decided not to release the info.

I'd be surprised if someone so steadfast on that view was wrong, as it will totally kill his credibility.

I find these two unannounced new contracts bizarre.

I too struggle to see what he Athletic has to gain by putting out a speculative/false story about something that isn't really massive news. I also struggle to understand why the club would not announce/reveal the contracts like all the others.

If the idea was to prevent demotivation of FF, then was the story leaked by McCarthy? When it coms to demotivation, not getting a contract would achieve that, never mind knowing McCarty got one. That idea doesn't make sense.

As for Stephens' contract. Who would that have demotivated if it had been announced, other than half this board?

31 minutes ago, Chez said:

Good to have players that are good enough to warrant interest from `bigger' fish. A bit disconcerting that the agent is already in talks with a suitor, all be it he is only doing his job.

Salisu is out of contract in 2024, so to maximise our return, I guess you would sell in the summer, or look to extend his contract, so as to avoid  situation where he only has a year left and the price starts to fall. Having said that, the Ings fee was sizeable, despite him only having a year left on his contract. So, maybe allowing a player to get within 12 months of leaving for free is not quite as bad as it seems, especially as you get an extra year of service from the player.

If the player knows Newcastle are interested, and the massive wages they will be able to pay, I suspect they won't rush into signing a new deal and getting `trapped' by a high asking fee. 

It must be a bloody nightmare running a football club. As soon as you find talent and get it working for you on the pitch it is taken by a bigger fish. How on earth do you ever build anything long term...

We beat Newcastle to Salisu signature originally it could be a " Newcastle has a lot of money and will try to get him again”  as I’ve said before it will be a good indicator of the new owners policy if they push the boat out for Salisu or sell him for loads and instantly replace him with a decent player.

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

I find these two unannounced new contracts bizarre.

I too struggle to see what he Athletic has to gain by putting out a speculative/false story about something that isn't really massive news. I also struggle to understand why the club would not announce/reveal the contracts like all the others.

If the idea was to prevent demotivation of FF, then was the story leaked by McCarthy? When it coms to demotivation, not getting a contract would achieve that, never mind knowing McCarty got one. That idea doesn't make sense.

As for Stephens' contract. Who would that have demotivated if it had been announced, other than half this board?

I have four ideas though I acknowledge that they all have possible flaws:

• The PR team was just busy around the time of those renewals and never got around to putting anything out. It would have been insulting to just put out a short press release without photoshoots etc
  • Neither player particular craves the limelight so preferred to keep things low key. We've seen McCarthy's public speaking skills!
  • The PR team didn't think extensions for two weaker players in the squad was that newsworthy, even compared to an extension for an youth player with potential
  • Stephens and McCarthy both took paycuts so it was in some way sensitive to be trumpeting their extensions

47 minutes ago, Chez said:

It is tiring supporting let alone managing a club that has to move around talent so much, but I'm hoping this summer will show a change of tact in this regard and allow us an opportunity to build before having to sell everything first. Of course, we'll always be a selling club to a degree as all clubs are....if players do well, clubs higher than you in the food chain will try and tempt the player, happens everywhere. I just hope we have a bit more about us now to rebuff those and stop having to rely on sales to build a team, as that is an unsustainable and quite frankly pointless loop.

The contract situation does make it more troubling as the club need to maximise any profit as it's an asset, so I'd expect and hope to see a statement come out between now and the summer with a new contract for Salisu. That would be a nice statement of intent from the new ownership and would tell us where our summer is heading.

Edited by S-Clarke

15 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

• The PR team was just busy around the time of those renewals and never got around to putting anything out. It would have been insulting to just put out a short press release without photoshoots etc
  • Neither player particular craves the limelight so preferred to keep things low key. We've seen McCarthy's public speaking skills!
  • The PR team didn't think extensions for two weaker players in the squad was that newsworthy, even compared to an extension for an youth player with potential
  • Stephens and McCarthy both took paycuts so it was in some way sensitive to be trumpeting their extensions

The Athletic jumping the gun and reporting something that wasn't yet true still seems the most plausible explanation to me. You'd think a journo would ask Ralph or Semmens when McCarthy and Stephens' contract actually expire.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It is tiring supporting let alone managing a club that has to move around talent so much, but I'm hoping this summer will show a change of tact in this regard and allow us an opportunity to build before having to sell everything first. Of course, we'll always be a selling club to a degree as all clubs are....if players do well, clubs higher than you in the food chain will try and tempt the player, happens everywhere. I just hope we have a bit more about us now to rebuff those and stop having to rely on sales to build a team, as that is an unsustainable and quite frankly pointless loop.

The contract situation does make it more troubling as the club need to maximise any profit as it's an asset, so I'd expect and hope to see a statement come out between now and the summer with a new contract for Salisu. That would be a nice statement of intent from the new ownership and would tell us where our summer is heading.

2 years used to be the ideal point to sell, but tv money being what it is I think these days it's just 1 year. Suspect that at 2 years we price players out of moves, Tadic with 2 years left in 2018 was the last time we sold a first 11 player with more than a year left.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

If he doesn't sign a new deal he has to go this summer (if the club's objective is to maximise profit).

The Salisu situation is an unpredictable one. Reportedly, he turns down Ghana because he wants to focus on his club career. Now, he’s obviously going to have more of an affiliation to Ghana, than he is to us, so it shows a character which will turn a contract offer down here if he feels he has a better opportunity elsewhere. Whether he wants to focus on his club career due to financial reasons or reaching the top is unknown. Newcastle and the top six present those financial gains which we can’t offer, but I don’t think the top six will be calling this summer, it seems too soon. 

Additionally, we ourselves took advantage of his contract situation at Vallodid and picked him up for a very reduced fee, although it was a release clause then, rather than the length of his contract. 

Personally, I would prefer him to go to one of the big six, rather than Newcastle. I hate those sideways/downwards moves that are money motivated like Ings to Villa and Koeman to Everton. Then you have fans telling you the money at the club will take them to a level above ours eventually, when Ings can’t get into the Villa team and Koeman was sacked, so…

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

The Salisu situation is an unpredictable one. Reportedly, he turns down Ghana because he wants to focus on his club career. Now, he’s obviously going to have more of an affiliation to Ghana, than he is to us, so it shows a character which will turn a contract offer down here if he feels he has a better opportunity elsewhere. Whether he wants to focus on his club career due to financial reasons or reaching the top is unknown. Newcastle and the top six present those financial gains which we can’t offer, but I don’t think the top six will be calling this summer, it seems too soon. 

Additionally, we ourselves took advantage of his contract situation at Vallodid and picked him up for a very reduced fee, although it was a release clause then, rather than the length of his contract. 

Personally, I would prefer him to go to one of the big six, rather than Newcastle. I hate those sideways/downwards moves that are money motivated like Ings to Villa and Koeman to Everton. Then you have fans telling you the money at the club will take them to a level above ours eventually, when Ings can’t get into the Villa team and Koeman was sacked, so…

He turns down Ghana because the coach tried to extort money from him in order to call him up when he was in the under-17s and the Ghana FA refused to do anything about it when he brought it to their attention. So now he doesn't want anything to do with them.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Cartman said:

He turns down Ghana because the coach tried to extort money from him in order to call him up when he was in the under-17s and the Ghana FA refused to do anything about it when he brought it to their attention. So now he doesn't want anything to do with them.

Corruption in African football you say? I'm shocked 😐

In all seriousness, good on him for sticking to his principles and refusing a call-up. It's good to know there are still people in football with morals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cartman said:

Maybe he wants to play for England one day

4 hours ago, Cartman said:

A man with integrity and honour then.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

My recollection is that The Athletic mentioned the extensions at around the same time we lost 5-2 to Spurs at home at the start of last season, where neither Stephens or McCarthy covered themselves in glory. People were being very critical on social media and posting an announcement at that time would have been met by a torrent of abuse. Of course, we then found good form but by then the moment had passed. 

I may be completely wrong but this was always the reason I assumed nothing was announced officially. 

11 hours ago, Monk said:

Have to say, disappointed to learn of Marcus Edwards move to Sporting Lisbon for only €7,000,000, thought that was exactly the type of profile we'd be after. 

It's complicated. (Apparently) Vitoria only ever owned 50% of Edwards' economic rights. Spurs still retain 50%. Sporting have only bought out Vitoria's stake. Were Edwards to move to a league that doesn't allow joint ownership (the Premier League, for example), the buying club would have to strike a deal with both the selling club and Spurs, doubling the cost.

Something like that, anyway. It's complicated.

Good little player - when he can be bothered.

Edited by qwertyell