January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Optimistic people may say he'll get chances/start at Liverpool, but it will be few and far between. As said above, he has 5 or 6 internationals and premier league champions in front of him.

He's at risk here of totally stagnating his career when he didn't need to, he'd have been better off moving to someone like us for a couple of years, getting a first team place every week to prove himself at the top level, and then getting his move to Liverpool once they're looking to evolve from Mane/Salah etc in a couple of years time.

If it happens I think he's moved there too quickly.

Well, he's no spring chicken and if he gets to play only 1 game in 5 for them for a few million quid a year what job could be better? The bullish-t about players wanting to play every game is over hyped, who wouldn't sit on their arse rather than work for loads of dosh if they could.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Sounds like Targett off to Newcastle too in their 'operation just stay up before jettisoning them next season including the manager'

Cynical bastards

Hope so. The more they spaff away on players like Targett, Wood, Burn etc to stay up, the less wiggle room they will have to spend in future windows.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Well, he's no spring chicken and if he gets to play only 1 game in 5 for them for a few million quid a year what job could be better? The bullish-t about players wanting to play every game is over hyped, who wouldn't sit on their arse rather than work for loads of dosh if they could.

19 year old Carvalho is no spring chicken right enuff.

Edited by stknowle

22 minutes ago, JRM said:

Just catching up on this, does the window close 11pm on 31st? Anyone ITK suggesting we're going to buy / sell anyone? 

Yeah, 11pm tomorrow.

I'm not ITK, this is just my take on the links we've had.

Anjorin is going out on loan to the Championship, so that's not a goer for us.

Carvalho is going to Liverpool, pretty much done and dusted. I think he'll be loaned back to Fulham for the remainder.

The Broja situation isn't going to budge, the summer will decide that and sadly I think it'll probably be game over for us by then if he carries on his form.

Dele Ali is still rumbling in the background for a few clubs, he needs to leave and has been told he won't play at Spurs...so he'll end up somewhere tomorrow. This is based on nothing by the way, but we usually operate like cloak and daggers and we're experts at not leaking stuff - maybe that's why all the Ali talk in the media re: all other clubs has died a death as we're the ones trying? Who knows.

Not expecting anything though, truth be told. We're in an unusual position of not really requiring anything and we're in more of a 'nice to have' position.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, 11pm tomorrow.

Carvalho is going to Liverpool, pretty much done and dusted. I think he'll be loaned back to Fulham for the remainder.

The Broja situation isn't going to budge, the summer will decide that and sadly I think it'll probably be game over for us by then if he carries on his form.

Dele Ali is still rumbling in the background for a few clubs, he needs to leave and has been told he won't play at Spurs...so he'll end up somewhere tomorrow. This is based on nothing by the way, but we usually operate like cloak and daggers and we're experts at not leaking stuff - maybe that's why all the Ali talk in the media re: all other clubs has died a death as we're the ones trying? Who knows.

Not expecting anything though, truth be told. We're in an unusual position of not really requiring anything and we're in more of a 'nice to have' position.

Not uncommon for us to pop up with a last minute loan, so if someone comes available, then great, if not, then so be it.  We get on with the rest of the season.  We should have enough to stay up, and we can sort stuff out for the summer.

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, 11pm tomorrow.

What do we need? I think we’re pretty well stocked in most positions. We’ll need a goalkeeper in the summer but can’t really see us doing anything by the end of tomorrow. Seems like we’ll try and bring that lad in from Chelsea, make Broja permanent plus a keeper in the summer. That’ll be 3 good bits of business, plus any other Young, hungry and guaranteed to improve we can bring in. Then I guess it’ll be replacing whoever is sold.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What do we need? I think we’re pretty well stocked in most positions. We’ll need a goalkeeper in the summer but can’t really see us doing anything by the end of tomorrow. Seems like we’ll try and bring that lad in from Chelsea, make Broja permanent plus a keeper in the summer. That’ll be 3 good bits of business, plus any other Young, hungry and guaranteed to improve we can bring in. Then I guess it’ll be replacing whoever is sold.  

It feels like the positions we need to buy for are better suited to the summer market. It's not like we have holes in the squad, we just need better quality than we have in those positions at the moment. Number 10/attacking player for one (Aljorin guy fills that spot) and obviously a GK. That's such a huge signing for us, we need to get that right...we need our Emi Martinez/Lukas Fabianski style signing as those guys are worth points every season to West Ham/Villa.

We'll probably go balls out to get Broja, but if he continues his progression here then I reckon Newcastle will just outbid us.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, 11pm tomorrow.

Spot on, this post.

Couldn't have put it better!

19 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Agree with your first point. Your second is frankly a load of bollocks.

Is it though? We have also had the opportunity to strengthen our squad in January. Say we had brought in an upgrade on Forster, Bednarek and Redmond and we’re putting in much better performances. Assuming that the argument isn’t just that the new Newcastle players sit out the rearranged game because it was Newcastle who had the game postponed, how would you feel about us leaving out our new, better players too? There is also the point that we could well have lost against them originally and could well beat their upgraded team instead. As they say, football is a funny old game. If it had been us struggling to get a team out and had the game called off then went a bought a load of new players, how would we feel about not playing them in the rearranged fixture? 
It isn’t as if they have gone out and bought a load of world class players and are going to suddenly field a top six quality team. There isn’t one player they have bought so far that we need to be afraid of.

Frankly I would rather us play (and ideally beat) a strong Newcastle team than quibble over whether it is fair or not that they are now in a position to play us with different players.

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Is it though? We have also had the opportunity to strengthen our squad in January. Say we had brought in an upgrade on Forster, Bednarek and Redmond and we’re putting in much better performances. Assuming that the argument isn’t just that the new Newcastle players sit out the rearranged game because it was Newcastle who had the game postponed, how would you feel about us leaving out our new, better players too? There is also the point that we could well have lost against them originally and could well beat their upgraded team instead. As they say, football is a funny old game. If it had been us struggling to get a team out and had the game called off then went a bought a load of new players, how would we feel about not playing them in the rearranged fixture? 
It isn’t as if they have gone out and bought a load of world class players and are going to suddenly field a top six quality team. There isn’t one player they have bought so far that we need to be afraid of.

Frankly I would rather us play (and ideally beat) a strong Newcastle team than quibble over whether it is fair or not that they are now in a position to play us with different players.

But we haven’t as yet brought in anyone. Whereas NUFC will have what amounts to a completely different 1st than what we would have faced. The result is not what’s at issue here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Not a surprising move really, but for the lads career surely better options.

This was the old Liverpool policy from thirty years ago. Buy someone in, embed them, get them thinking and behaving, and playing their way, then gradually introduce them into first team matches. The Liverpool team isn't virtually unchanged for three years, and there are a few, particularly in midfield, such as Oxlade Chamberlain, who could well be moved on. I can see this deal working for both parties, providing he is that good.

13 minutes ago, DT said:

So as predicted Newcastle will basically have a new team by the time we play them. It is not fair on anyone. Premier League now clearly jump when they say so, oiled by their money. Corrupt.

tbf though we've only been shafted because we were due to play them at the beginning of January...

Ultimately, we'd already played them in August where we didn't win... if the fixture list had us down to play the second fixture in April as opposed to January would anyone be complaining?

It is what it is, I still want them to go down and I'd love for the PL to enforce a rule whereby January signings cannot play, and I'm still more than annoyed we lost a weekend fixture, but I don't agree when it says "it isn't fair on anyone". The January transfer window exists to boost their squad, just a shame when given the chance to capitalise on it, it was taken away from us by some accepted shithousery. 

• Like 1

If I was a Newcastle fan I think I'd be pretty underwhelmed by now.

The chance to be the next Man City, yet you end up with Eddie Howe buying Chris Wood.

They probably have enough to stay up now, but they need a major rebuild throughout - using quality young players, not old school strikers and journeymen.

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

tbf though we've only been shafted because we were due to play them at the beginning of January...

Ultimately, we'd already played them in August where we didn't win... if the fixture list had us down to play the second fixture in April as opposed to January would anyone be complaining?

It is what it is, I still want them to go down and I'd love for the PL to enforce a rule whereby January signings cannot play, and I'm still more than annoyed we lost a weekend fixture, but I don't agree when it says "it isn't fair on anyone". The January transfer window exists to boost their squad, just a shame when given the chance to capitalise on it, it was taken away from us by some accepted shithousery. 

Unfortunately I can't see they'd have the balls to try bringing that one in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

The chance to be the next Man City, yet you end up with Eddie Howe buying Chris Wood.

They probably have enough to stay up now, but they need a major rebuild throughout - using quality young players, not old school strikers and journeymen.

They just need players to keep them up. These additions will be largely useful backups within a year or 2

4 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

They were never going to go and buy the worlds best players in this window. I expect a huge amount of movement in the summer, once they're starting on 0 points along with everyone else. Bruno Guimaraes, Ekitike, Trippier, possibly Lingard & Henderson, are all players that can be competing at the top half of the league. If they just stay up this year, a bunch of these players will be out the door within 2 years, but it won't have mattered as they've done a job. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Hugo Ekeitie on his way in there now, £30-35m, thats a quality young player.

Re: Man City, you have to remember they didn't dive straight into Toure, Silva, Augero etc - they came 2 or 3 windows further down the line. They started off buying the likes of Gareth Barry, Lescott, Santa Cruz etc - so proven PL players.

Newcastle's signings, in terms of the links feels a bit scattergun - but that's probably the media making it up for fun. You can't argue that they've signed proven PL players though. They've got the money to bin off those guys in the summer if they do job number 1.

22 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Do you think Burn,Woods,Targett , Trippier are signings to frighten us then?

They've basically sorted their defence, which was the problem. Linguard will also strengthen them if they get him. They've got Henderson probably. And Guimaraes is another good signing. So yes. The squad we should have faced, no.

Newcastle's activities have disrupted the whole window. Stopped clubs like Saints from making the usual tidy sensible deals, and probably making the bigger fish a little nervous.

Personally I think Saints are doing the right thing. Stay well out of it. Try for a few but refuse to get involved in a bidding war.

The current squad is good enough for mid-table. That's all that can be achieved this year. The main activity will be in the summer. GK, CH, and a No10.

Unfortunately I suspect most of the attention will be on JWP. Not going to be an easy time for us.

18 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Newcastle's activities have disrupted the whole window. Stopped clubs like Saints from making the usual tidy sensible deals, and probably making the bigger fish a little nervous.

Personally I think Saints are doing the right thing. Stay well out of it. Try for a few but refuse to get involved in a bidding war.

The current squad is good enough for mid-table. That's all that can be achieved this year. The main activity will be in the summer. GK, CH, and a No10.

Unfortunately I suspect most of the attention will be on JWP. Not going to be an easy time for us.

Why?

16 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

People who enjoy their job, or want the chance to develop and know they can reach even higher levels? 🤔

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DT said:

They've basically sorted their defence, which was the problem. Linguard will also strengthen them if they get him. They've got Henderson probably. And Guimaraes is another good signing. So yes. The squad we should have faced, no.

DT and Burn are two lower Premier league signings that belong in relegation battling defences. They haven't sorted their defence 😅. But they have sorted out their midfield somewhat and are rumoured to be getting another attacker and Henderson on loan. All of which is more than enough to make them better than watford/Burnley/Norwich, and possibly Everton and Leeds. They'll stay up now sadly. Too much to ask for one of everton/Leeds to take their place? 

2 hours ago, DT said:

They’ve still got Howe managing them and his teams defensive records have always been shocking. Let’s hope he continues to weave his magic 🤣

3 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

But we haven’t as yet brought in anyone. Whereas NUFC will have what amounts to a completely different 1st than what we would have faced. The result is not what’s at issue here.

And that is because I assume that the club feel happy at the moment that we have a squad that can compete against the likes of Newcastle. The result is the issue here. We now have the prospect of facing a stronger side and therefore a lesser chance of winning. If we had played them at the time they would have had a much weaker squad and we would have had a greater chance of winning. Once the game was called off we were always going to have a tougher match anyway as they would have a fully fit squad again (probably). We would have done exactly the same as Newcastle had the circumstances been reversed would we not? If not it would have been pretty foolish not to. If the guidelines had been different when we played United you can bet you life the club would have tried to get the game called off. The fact that a transfer window has opened in the meantime is coincidental. The game could well have been rearranged before Newcastle brought any new players in. 
Having said all of that, aren’t the EPL looking into the situation? Yes, they should have done so before the window opened and made the situation clear, but isn’t it still possible that they will say that newly transferred players will not be eligible for these rearranged games?

8 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

And that is because I assume that the club feel happy at the moment that we have a squad that can compete against the likes of Newcastle. The result is the issue here. We now have the prospect of facing a stronger side and therefore a lesser chance of winning. If we had played them at the time they would have had a much weaker squad and we would have had a greater chance of winning. Once the game was called off we were always going to have a tougher match anyway as they would have a fully fit squad again (probably). We would have done exactly the same as Newcastle had the circumstances been reversed would we not? If not it would have been pretty foolish not to. If the guidelines had been different when we played United you can bet you life the club would have tried to get the game called off. The fact that a transfer window has opened in the meantime is coincidental. The game could well have been rearranged before Newcastle brought any new players in. 
Having said all of that, aren’t the EPL looking into the situation? Yes, they should have done so before the window opened and made the situation clear, but isn’t it still possible that they will say that newly transferred players will not be eligible for these rearranged games?

It stunk for me the moment it was called off to be honest, what stinks even more is that they haven't played any of their re-arranged fixtures yet. They have a perfect opportunity in FA Cup weekend (not to play us, but another of their called off games). There have been some mid-week gaps in the last couple of weeks to replay it, it's not even been spoken about. The Brentford called off game was re-arranged pretty quickly.

They want to spend their money before they play their rearranged games so they have the best possible chance to win those games, that in it's self is creating an unfair advantage given the money they have to play with. They're so short on players, so unfit etc...but perfectly fit enough to fly away to Saudi Arabia and play a 90 min dick swinging friendly match.  It's so obvious what they're doing, I'm surprised some are not seeing it.

The call off criteria has been changed now, so you have to have at least '4 positive' cases - Why the f**k it wasn't that before I will never know, shambles from the first minute by the PL and they've allowed this situation to manifest it's self.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 9