January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Surely our No1 priority position is another CB ? Salisu is our defacto no1 in that area but behind him there are too many potential issues with Stephens, Bednarek and Lyanco

Obviously beyond that its a Gk (I think this can wait until the summer as we are unlikely to add a 3rd senior keeper

And then probably another No10

28 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Hopefully returning to training soon;

https://www.si.com/soccer/manchestercity/news/man-city-missing-star-forward-with-ankle-and-hip-problems-striker-sidelined-ahead-of-everton-clash

"It was reported in early October that the English striker had ‘suffered a setback’ in his bid to return to full fitness, and that the Manchester City staff were hopeful of Delap returning to action prior to Christmas.

According to the latest information of Jack Gaughan of The Daily Mail, Delap remains sidelined with ankle/injury problems, and it remains to be seen whether the forward will return to action before the New Year."

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.png.a277a3f2f4bb35a0a98c5429f5d3d707.png 

And so it begins! If we can find some gems from the City academy, like we have done in Chelsea's then great! City have a load of clones coming through, who are all good footballers, passers and very technically gifted. Two of those being Palmer and McAtee, who looked comfortable in his debut against Everton last month.

Delap hasn't really stood out when I've seen him play. Born in Winchester, but likely moved away soon after with his dad.

Both of those lads are highly rated (city’s academy is ridiculously good).

Hard to tell if it’s just Sky throwing our name out there… We are going to need a striker next summer though.

Long’s leaving, Theo’s not cutting the mustard, Broja isn’t ours. 

• Like 2

Announce Vlahovic!

Realistically though, I wouldn't be surprised if we are already telling McAtee's agent that we want him to be next summer's Livramento, out of contract in 2023. Fabio Carvalho is another we should be all over, out of contract this summer.

11 minutes ago, John B said:

To improve we need a decent striker 

Not easy to get one but we do need one

I'd say service to the strikers is more of an issue, we seem to have to score out of nothing. Someone in the mould of Jared Bowen would make a huge difference to us, Redmond and Djneppo just don't cut it for me at this level.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, saint_stevo said:

Lucas Digne?

Dele Alli loan?

Sam Johnstone pre-contract

Digne wants out of Everton for CL football and we don't need another LB. Not happening.

Alli will want more money than we would be willing to pay and if he goes anywhere this window it will be to Newcastle.

Johnstone would be an upgrade on what we already have but I reckon we could find a better option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I'd say service to the strikers is more of an issue, we seem to have to score out of nothing. Someone in the mould of Jared Bowen would make a huge difference to us, Redmond and Djneppo just don't cut it for me at this level.

An in form (I know) Redmond is definitely good enough.  However, he's a ball carrier, create from deep type of 10.  We need a more direct 10 on the other side, something Stu does well and Bowen is very good at.

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Agree - we've been missing this since the days of Tadic supplying Pelle. Redmond's final ball is often shocking and djneppo is just dreadful.

• Like 1

I'd say the statement signing would probably be Broja permanent but did wonder for a split second about Coutinho. Can't be, can it? Eriksen would be interesting but not sure that's quite the statement - bit risky? Perhaps it is a leader of a CB. Dunk?  (nah, wouldn't leave) Ake? Or a keeper we can all like...?

9 minutes ago, DT said:

I'd say the statement signing would probably be Broja permanent but did wonder for a split second about Coutinho. Can't be, can it? Eriksen would be interesting but not sure that's quite the statement - bit risky? Perhaps it is a leader of a CB. Dunk?  (nah, wouldn't leave) Ake? Or a keeper we can all like...?

I think maybe the Broja ship has sailed (not sure it ever had sails tho) now we have a Serbian owner I dont think the the Eagle will be acceptable lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DT said:

I'd be happy with that, but I'm not sure you would categorise that as a statement signing, I tend to think of household names, such as Eriksen, as mentioned above.. 

Just now, Toussaint said:

I'd be happy with that, but I'm not sure you would categorise that as a statement signing, I tend to think of household names, such as Eriksen, as mentioned above.. 

I suppose I was thinking that the statement we would be making is that there is a future at Saints for those who are on the periphery at the big six - young, talented, affordable. But yes, i get you on the Eriksen thing, although that would be a statement more along 'risky' albeit with undoubted quality. Do we want to go back to crocked or flawed heroes?

Personally can't see us making a "statement" signing but you never know.  Certainly can't see Eriksen - good player but doesn't fit our style of play and too many risks + wages make it seem unlikely.  If we do make a signing then I'd expect it to be another promising kid like Livramento.  That seems like a good model to pursue and if we have a bit more in terms of funds then it'll strengthen our hands in negotiations.  Broja would be superb although even now might be too expensive but I don't buy the Albania/Serbia thing - if the deal is right for both parties then it would happen.  That Angers kid maybe?  Seems like Dortmund (I think) is in negotiations but if we have the ability to go in and beat clubs like that to young talent then that's probably enough to call it a "statement". 

12 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Personally can't see us making a "statement" signing but you never know.  Certainly can't see Eriksen - good player but doesn't fit our style of play and too many risks + wages make it seem unlikely.  If we do make a signing then I'd expect it to be another promising kid like Livramento.  That seems like a good model to pursue and if we have a bit more in terms of funds then it'll strengthen our hands in negotiations.  Broja would be superb although even now might be too expensive but I don't buy the Albania/Serbia thing - if the deal is right for both parties then it would happen.  That Angers kid maybe?  Seems like Dortmund (I think) is in negotiations but if we have the ability to go in and beat clubs like that to young talent then that's probably enough to call it a "statement". 

The Albania/Serbia thing is probably the biggest "thing" still around in Europe, so I wouldn't rule it out as a factor.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

speculative one -  subject to insurance and medical clearance - Christan Eriksen 

As much as I'd love that I don't think it's even remotely realistic for a number of reasons. Apart from anything, the new owners have said they basically want to follow the current strategy - Sign kids, develop them, flog them.

On that note, I see that we've been linked with Rory Delap's son Liam (who was born at the time his dad was at Saints to make everyone feel old). Have we ever had a father-son play for us? I feel like we have but can't quite place who they are. Not counting the likes of Sonny Davis who played in Kelvin's testimonial (and is also in our academy).

34 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

The Albania/Serbia thing is probably the biggest "thing" still around in Europe, so I wouldn't rule it out as a factor.

Yeah, can't see it being any kind of factor, sorry.  We're not even owned by a Serbian (technically) and presumably if he felt that strongly he would be asking to end the loan agreement and toddle off to the Albanian Republic of Chelsea.  Incidentally Albania doesn't much like Russia either and yet it hasn't stopped him being either a Chelsea player or fan despite Abramovich.  Chances are that Broja will either never meet Drajan or if he does then rarely.  If he sees that it's the best move for his career, we have the cash and Chelsea are happy to sell then he'll sign.  I doubt we'll ever get to that stage for other reasons but the Serbia / Albania thing won't be why.

• Like 1

For those suggesting Eriksen and Ramsey - have you missed the entire strategy of Saints somehow?

Re Broja - worth remembering he will have a say and quite legitimately I'm sure he will want to have a proper crack at Chelsea. No chance anything happens with him til later in the summer window, if at all.

I wonder if Donny Van De Beek from United could be an option. 24 years old, not used by United but in the games he has played looks like a decent player. Also was performing to a good standard at Ajax before the move which has put his career on pause. Probably could pick him up cheap as well. 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Dusic said:

For those suggesting Eriksen and Ramsey - have you missed the entire strategy of Saints somehow?

Re Broja - worth remembering he will have a say and quite legitimately I'm sure he will want to have a proper crack at Chelsea. No chance anything happens with him til later in the summer window, if at all.

There's also no reason for Chelsea to sell until the summer. His value will only increase