Watford 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

31 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

With Broja out and JWP looking to impress the Newcastle scouts I'd go for a 4-3-3 with Diallo, Romeu and JWP in a 3. Get the full backs attacking.

aye, but the key picks are the front 3. who?

S. Armstrong,  A. Armstrong, Redmond ?

McCarthy

Tino, Bednarek, Salisu, KWP

JWP, Romeu

Armstrong (A), Moi

Redmond, Adams

I have been loyal to a few senior players here despite the impressive midweek performances of others.  Would suggest McCarthy, Bednarek, Adams and JWP all need big performances to remain in team as genuine competition now as evident at Chelsea

Lyanco isn’t going to play. Promising game last time but he doesn’t need to be rushed into a huge game. He was also blowing pretty hard the last 15 minutes of each half. Let the bloke bed in and he will get a run of league games when there’s an injury.

26 minutes ago, JibMcdo said:

Lyanco isn’t going to play. Promising game last time but he doesn’t need to be rushed into a huge game. He was also blowing pretty hard the last 15 minutes of each half. Let the bloke bed in and he will get a run of league games when there’s an injury.

I totally agree, one excellent performance doesn't mean he has to be rushed in; however, Ralph had demonstrated greater flexibility in his formations and personnel this year during games (Burnley not withstanding !), so if we get into a position to defend a lead or just need a shakeup, I'd like Lynco to come in as part of a three at the back. 

These are good options to have. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Forester said:

McCarthy

Tino, Bednarek, Salisu, KWP

JWP, Romeu

Armstrong (A), Moi

Redmond, Adams

I have been loyal to a few senior players here despite the impressive midweek performances of others.  Would suggest McCarthy, Bednarek, Adams and JWP all need big performances to remain in team as genuine competition now as evident at Chelsea

Forster is better than McCarthy, as proven again against Chelsea. How Ralph can't see this is mystifying (to me). Can Stuart Armstrong get in that team? He would for me. And I'd have Tella instead of Redmond.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Forster is better than McCarthy, as proven again against Chelsea. How Ralph can't see this is mystifying (to me). Can Stuart Armstrong get in that team? He would for me. And I'd have Tella instead of Redmond.

The contractual situation with the goalies (Forster not extending) means that choosing the goalie isn't just down to who is better. Both have good and bad points and I'd agree with you that I would prefer Forster in a straight choice, but I do understand why McCarthy is likely to be in the team instead.  The goalkeeper position needs an upgrade and that will happen in January or in the summer when Forster leaves. 

Redmond has played well in his last three premier games, Tella has been thrown into difficult games (Chelsea away x2) and hasn't really grasped the chance to stay in the team so I'd still stick with Redmond. 

• Like 3

Given Broja's injury, I don't think the team will be far from this:

McCarthy

Tino    Bednarek  Salisu  Perraud

JWP    Romeu

S Armstrong            Redmond

A Armstrong   Adams

Possibly Moi starting vice Stu? But as he had an op on his hand on Monday wouldn't have trained much this week.

Subs: Forster; KWP; Valery; Lyanco; Diallo; Smallbone; Djenepo; Moi; Tella

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

The contractual situation with the goalies (Forster not extending) means that choosing the goalie isn't just down to who is better. Both have good and bad points and I'd agree with you that I would prefer Forster in a straight choice, but I do understand why McCarthy is likely to be in the team instead.  The goalkeeper position needs an upgrade and that will happen in January or in the summer when Forster leaves. 

Redmond has played well in his last three premier games, Tella has been thrown into difficult games (Chelsea away x2) and hasn't really grasped the chance to stay in the team so I'd still stick with Redmond. 

But surely the contractual situation shouldn't come into it. Doesn't Ralph pick the 'keeper who he thinks gives the team the most chance of winning? Maybe I'm missing something. Better of the two starts surely whether that's McCarthy or Forster. 

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

But surely the contractual situation shouldn't come into it. Doesn't Ralph pick the 'keeper who he thinks gives the team the most chance of winning? Maybe I'm missing something. Better of the two starts surely whether that's McCarthy or Forster. 

The difference between the two goalies isn't enormous and McCarthy has been ok for the last few games. Sometimes Managers need to take the longer term view and recognise that loyalty, morale and team spirit also need to be considered. McCarthy is likely to be with Saints for the next 3-4 years, Forster will be off in the summer.  

I wouldn't say never; for example if McCarthy has a bad spell then Forster could still get the nod, but for the moment I accept the situation. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Always problematic when contractual situations intervene and are considered above playing merit. See also Theo Walcott (can be the only reason surely?)

Goalkeeper has needed fixing for a long time and is a crucial one to get right if relegation is to be avoided.

10 minutes ago, Greenridge said:

I see The DE are saying Stuart Armstrong isn't in the training pics. 

The Daily Express? Assume they're also reporting an upcoming 'Arctic Winter' on the front page...? ;) 

Edited by trousers

5 hours ago, DT said:

Having re-read this I meant Stuart to play as one of the two tens, not Adam.

Redmond has been excellent last few games, just not able to finish but good assists.  Thought Tella was disappointing at Chelsea.  I don’t disagree with you re the keepers, just think the overall goals conceded this season has been ok

Feeling strangely optimistic about tomorrow...we've been playing well lately, and Watford are a leaky defensive team.

No Broja gives a huge opportunity for either Che or A.Armstrong to prove their worth...if they fail to do so, I fully expect Broja to keep them out of the starting 11 for the forseeable.

Hoping JWP is back to his best after an extended break. It seems our fans are calling for him to remain on the bench tomorrow...despite how impressed I've been with Diallo, JWP at his best is a sight to see.

Hopefully a big 3 points on the road!

17 hours ago, adriansfc said:

God I'd love to see Livramento play there. Just something about the way he attacks, I think his future is further forward. Never a second thought about shooting, confident taking a man on, can cross, good movement. 

I feel like a club our size and team quality is really missing a trick there when we have KWP. We can add quality to the attack and the defence in one move. 

i agree. I feel like i have been screaming this since Game 1. We can't afford to have either KWP or Livramento sitting on the bench. Look how effective KWP was on Tuesday, re: Adams goal). We have seen KWP at left back not be as effective, so.. position Livramento as a winger and let KWP play RB or play him and KWP in a 5 back formation.

Livramento -- KWP -- Lycano -- Salisu-- Perraud

that would also free up Perraud to be more aggressive offensively - didn't he have something like 3 goals and 7 assists in Ligue 1 last year? Let's put these guys in positions were they can succeed!

Edited by SaintTex

41 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

i agree. I feel like i have been screaming this since Game 1. We can't afford to have either KWP or Livramento sitting on the bench. Look how effective KWP was on Tuesday, re: Adams goal). We have seen KWP at right back not be as effective, so.. position Livramento as a winger and let KWP play LB or play him and KWP in a 5 back formation.

Livramento -- KWP -- Lycano -- Salisu-- Perraud

that would also free up Perraud to be more aggressive offensively - didn't he have something like 3 goals and 7 assists in Ligue 1 last year? Let's put these guys in positions were they can succeed!

KWP as a right sided CB is a crazy idea. He's far too small. 

I'm not sure the people calling for Livramento to play as a winger have seen him play for us. He's good because he picks the ball up deep and runs from there between the lines, or uses the ball. If he's not doing it from there, we lose that outlet. He's being played where we need him. 

5 minutes ago, egg said:

KWP as a right sided CB is a crazy idea. He's far too small. 

I'm not sure the people calling for Livramento to play as a winger have seen him play for us. He's good because he picks the ball up deep and runs from there between the lines, or uses the ball. If he's not doing it from there, we lose that outlet. He's being played where we need him. 

If we're going to experiment with Livramento as a 10, personally i'd think Liverpool away might be the game to do so.

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

If we're going to experiment with Livramento as a 10, personally i'd think Liverpool away might be the game to do so.

Why do that? KWP is decent but can't take us upfield from RB like this kid can. He signed as a RB, he's been brilliant at RB, so people day move him. Daft imo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Why do that? KWP is decent but can't take us upfield from RB like this kid can. He signed as a RB, he's been brilliant at RB, so people day move him. Daft imo. 

I can see the logic of people wanting to us to figure out a way to get one of best 11 players (kwp) into the team, given livramento has played further forward at u23 level. If they want to try it Away to Liverpool, which is a bit of a free hit and where our 10’s will be doing a lot of defending seems a logical place to experiment. 

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

I can see the logic of people wanting to us to figure out a way to get one of best 11 players (kwp) into the team, given livramento has played further forward at u23 level. If they want to try it Away to Liverpool, which is a bit of a free hit and where our 10’s will be doing a lot of defending seems a logical place to experiment. 

Livramento never played as a 10 for the Chelsea kids, he played as a RM. I can see what he brings to the team, but it's a different ball game picking the ball up in defence and running at wingers/midfielders to picking the ball up 40+m upfield and running at defenders. My main issue though is losing his runs from deep. They've been vital to how we've played this season.  He's a cracking young player and although I get the sentiment of the masses, he's our best RB by some margin and I'd keep him there. 

• Like 1

I don't get the hatred for Walcott, just jealousy because he's done well and made a fortune and not with us? He remains the only player to have scored premier league goals in 14 (or is it 15?) consecutive seasons, a record that will probably never be equalled, let's hope he bangs in another this season and extends the record.  I am a supporter. If the manager picks a player, back him 100%

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Dellman said:

I don't get the hatred for Walcott, just jealousy because he's done well and made a fortune and not with us? He remains the only player to have scored premier league goals in 14 (or is it 15?) consecutive seasons, a record that will probably never be equalled, let's hope he bangs in another this season and extends the record.  I am a supporter. If the manager picks a player, back him 100%

I too am a supporter. I do not hate Walcott but it irks me that we signed him, pay him a fortune and he turns in far too many very sub-standard performances. We need to get what we pay him for so I would expect much more than I'm seeing. Don't think that's too much to ask.

• Like 2

He's not the match winner he once was and he's not the game-changer we would like but he has adapted his game and if he plays to suit the way the manager has set up the team, that's fine by me, just different from what some people expected.

6 minutes ago, Dellman said:

He's not the match winner he once was and he's not the game-changer we would like but he has adapted his game and if he plays to suit the way the manager has set up the team, that's fine by me, just different from what some people expected.

For me it was a mistake and a waste of money signing him. He's not shown enough to justify what we're paying out and that money could have been better spent elsewhere. Would love him to prove me wrong and go on a run of good games but I won't be holding my breath.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dellman said:

It’s not hatred, he’s just had it, we are in no position to be sentimental 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Watford 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic