Watford 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

First away day in a long time, really looking forward to it.

McCarthy/Forster

Livramento - Lyanco - Salisu - KWP

Romeu - Diallo

Armstrong - Redmond

Broja - Armstrong

Tough decision for the forwards, as I think Che did well tonight. However I would like to see this partnership at some point. I personally don't have a preference on GK or LB.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

First away day in a long time, really looking forward to it.

McCarthy/Forster

Livramento - Lyanco - Salisu - KWP

Romeu - Diallo

Armstrong - Redmond

Broja - Armstrong

Tough decision for the forwards, as I think Che did well tonight. However I would like to see this partnership at some point. I personally don't have a preference on GK or LB.

No way Ralph is playing Diallo ahead of JWP. Wouldn’t mind if he did but can’t see it. Would also have Perraud at LB

• Like 1

I hope this isn't another 'after-the-lord-mayors-show' game for us, like what happened in the league game following our quality display at Man City.

I don't think the team is set in stone, Ralph will have seen quite a few interesting options from tonight - Lyanco being number 1. I'm a bit bored with Bednarek's weekly defensive disaster shows.

JWP starts for Diallo, or he'll find a way for Diallo to play with Romeu and JWP...but JWP will be back in 100%

Broja starts for sure, then it's a bit of a miss-mash as to who starts alongside or a little deeper as the rest of our attack is a much of a muchness. I just hope Theo stays away.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

I think Ralph will play this:

McCarthy; Tino, Bednarek, Salisu, Perraud; JWP, Romeu; Stu. Armstrong, Elyounoussi; Broja, Redmond 

I think I read somewhere Moi should be back again. If not, then perhaps Redmond to drop back and Armstrong to come in which would also be decent.

Some obvious selections and some not so obvious.

OBVIOUS:

(1) Lyanco and Salisu at the back

(2) Broja up front with Redmond there somewhere.

(3) Stuart Armstrong with a starting role.

(4) Smallbone as an option off the bench

NOT SO

(1) Walcott not even on the bench

(2) Che Adams and Adam Armstrong should not start

(3) JWP back in but don’t slow the game down. Redmond/Smallbone & Armstrong have produced better corners than he’s done in the last 8 games. Only let him take the free kicks around the 18 yard box.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

Also think Adam Armstrong has promise and was lively tonight. Can see him banging in a few and can never see Che doing that.

I actually don’t see him banging in a few. He just keeps putting his foot through the ball despite having a player directly in front of him. He needs to learn to create a yard for himself.

28 minutes ago, whelk said:

No way Ralph is playing Diallo ahead of JWP. Wouldn’t mind if he did but can’t see it. Would also have Perraud at LB

Ha, completely forgot that JWP was back. I thought Diallo was great v Leeds but very poor v Burnley, so I do agree that he’d be straight back in.

For me:

Macca; Tino Bednarek Salisu Perraud; JWP Romeu; Armstrong (S) Redmond Broja Djenepo.

In reality it should be any 3 from Armstrong (S), Redmond, Elyounoussi, Djenepo.

Walcott should be nowhere near the first XI, doesn’t deserve to be there ahead of any of the others. Same with Armstrong (A), and Adams IMO. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Ha, completely forgot that JWP was back. I thought Diallo was great v Leeds but very poor v Burnley, so I do agree that he’d be straight back in.

Diallo poor v Burnley?   Watch the replay...he was good again.   Agree that JWP will return but Diallo is going to be very unlucky.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pilchards said:

I actually don’t see him banging in a few. He just keeps putting his foot through the ball despite having a player directly in front of him. He needs to learn to create a yard for himself.

Agree, he looked completely anonymous in all the games he s played so far.

very far away from prem level at the moment.

Edouard would have been a much better signing.

• Like 1

Would feel a lot more comfortable if Watford hadn't just scored five at Goodison. Lets hope that was a bit of a freak result as opposed to Ranieri working his magic again. Honestly a tricky one for us and I wouldn't be too unhappy with a draw, that can change depending on how the game goes though. Just hope its not another one where we play well, deserve to win but fall short

21 minutes ago, tunit said:

Would feel a lot more comfortable if Watford hadn't just scored five at Goodison. Lets hope that was a bit of a freak result as opposed to Ranieri working his magic again. Honestly a tricky one for us and I wouldn't be too unhappy with a draw, that can change depending on how the game goes though. Just hope its not another one where we play well, deserve to win but fall short

Everton's defending for their last 4 goals was an utter shambles. I wouldn't read too much into that result.

We look good at the moment! I'd play:

McCarthy

Tino Lyanco Salisu Perraud

JWP Diallo

S. Armstrong Elyounoussi

Broja A. Armstrong

I think Bednarek is probably better than Lyanco but we need to reward good play and he did well at Chelsea so he deserves it. Broja over Adams is also a tough one but Adams looked kinda sluggish against Chelsea and went off holding his thigh/hammy so I think could need a little longer to recover from injury.

6 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Foster

Livamento. Lyanco  Salisu   Perraud

Romeu    Diallo

KWP                                       Redmond

S Armstrong

Broja

It won't happen but I agree with that line-up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tunit said:

It did have the look of a freak result because Watford were 2-1 down with 12 minutes to go. Once they equalised Everton self-destructed. Maybe I'm doing Watford an injustice but those goals were very soft and I just think they suckered Everton after unexpectedly drawing level late in the game. We'll see what they have on Saturday but we ought to be good for at least a point.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

McCarthy

JWP Diallo

S. Armstrong Elyounoussi

Broja A. Armstrong

I think Bednarek is probably better than Lyanco but we need to reward good play and he did well at Chelsea so he deserves it. Broja over Adams is also a tough one but Adams looked kinda sluggish against Chelsea and went off holding his thigh/hammy so I think could need a little longer to recover from injury.

Broja over Adams is a no-brainer in my opinion. Adams goal last night was what I'd call a tap-in.

I'm intrigued by who is going to start this weekend.  There are tough choices for Ralph to make all over the pitch.  He's tried several systems this season already, so can't even rely on that to help decide.  It feels like a long time since we had 20 players who could legitimately make a claim to be starting.

To my mind the only certainties are McCarthy, Tino, Salisu and Romeu.  KWP or Perraud (or both)? Lyanco or Bednarek? Diallo or JWP (or both)? Then further forward 3 or 4 from S Armstrong, Djenepo, Moi, Redmond, Tella, Broja, A Armstrong, Adams (surely not Walcott or Long). 

I'd like to see McCarthy, Tino, Lyanco, Salisu, KWP, Romeu, JWP, S Armstrong, Redmond, A Armstrong, Broja in our favoured 4,2,2,2.

With so much choice it's almost certain the manager is going to get a load of stick whoever he picks, which will magnify and escalate if we lose, rumble on if we draw and disappear if we win.

This is the 10th game, a point at which I think the table starts to be meaningful.  A win makes us 13-15th, draw/lose means 15th-17th. Given our performances over the first quarter of the season I'd hope we could get to 10th-11th and expect us to avoid a serious relegation battle.  But I've been supporting us too long to be certain about any of that.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s really not. 

It is, Adams is our best creator outside of maybe Stuart Armstrong. Without him we will definitely make less chances. Broja is a better finisher but that means little if we don't have any chances to finish. 

36 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Broja over Adams is a no-brainer in my opinion. Adams goal last night was what I'd call a tap-in.

Adams was poor against Chelsea imo and yeah was the definition of a tap in. However we have a massive issue making chances and Che is very good at turning hopeful balls over the top, pressures, and interceptions into goal scoring chances. He is a worse scorer than Broja but imo a much better second striker. Not sure Armstrong and Broja will suit each other up top in the same way but we shall see. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

In Ralph’s mind, you can add Redmond to that list. 

Yes you're probably right about that.  Probably the only debate in his mind is upfront or in behind 

32 minutes ago, TWar said:

Adams was poor against Chelsea imo and yeah was the definition of a tap in. However we have a massive issue making chances and Che is very good at turning hopeful balls over the top, pressures, and interceptions into goal scoring chances. He is a worse scorer than Broja but imo a much better second striker. Not sure Armstrong and Broja will suit each other up top in the same way but we shall see. 

That's a fair shout.  Given we play two I'm not sure what the best combination is - you can throw Redmond and Tella into the mix and it's even more complicated.  Of those 5 Adams plays best with his back to goal and also probably is best sliding passes through to the other striker.  I just feel like Broja is undroppable and A Armstrong needs a run of starts, and together it would be interesting to see how they did - there would certainly be no shortage of shooting. And I think Adams may still have injury/fitness issues.

Edited by The Left Back

2 hours ago, TWar said:

McCarthy

JWP Diallo

S. Armstrong Elyounoussi

Broja A. Armstrong

I would probably go for this but with Romeu in for Diallo (or JWP, as I know Diallo has been good in his absence). To me we don’t look as good without Romeu in the middle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Yes you're probably right about that.  Probably the only debate in his mind is upfront or in behind 

That's a fair shout.  Given we play two I'm not sure what the best combination is - you can throw Redmond and Tella into the mix and it's even more complicated.  Of those 5 Adams plays best with his back to goal and also probably is best sliding passes through to the other striker.  I just feel like Broja is undroppable and A Armstrong needs a run of starts, and together it would be interesting to see how they did - there would certainly be no shortage of shooting. And I think Adams may still have injury/fitness issues.

I'm curious to see if Adam Armstrong can play behind the forwards. Something like Broja and Adams infront of both Armstrongs. If I remember correctly Leach was saying Armstrong was being signed to play across the front 4 rather than just as a forward.

who would you say are our BEST 11 players?... Start those. Figure out where they should go, but get them on the pitch, instead of wasting away on the bench.

4-2-3-1

------------Forster-------------

KWP--Lyanco--Salisu--Perraud

----------Diallo----Romeu------

Livramento--JWP--S. Armstrong

--------------Broja--------------

4-3-3

------------Forster-------------

KWP--Lyanco--Salisu--Perraud

----JWP-----Diallo----Romeu---

Livramento--Broja--S. Armstrong

5-2-3

-----------------Forster---------------------

Livramento--KWP--Lyanco--Salisu--Perraud

-------------Diallo----Romeu---------------

-------JWP------Broja----S. Armstrong-----

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 2

The starting 11 I would pick:

Forster

KWP - Lynaco - Salisu - Peraud

Tino - Diallo - Romeu - Djenepo

Broja - A.Armstrong

The starting 11 I think Ralph will pick:

McCarthy

Tino - Bednarek - Salisu - KWP

JWP - Romeu

S.Armstrong - Redmond

Broja - A.Armstrong

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

I hope Ralph has put the whole team into a room and showed the Everton game from last weekend. Watford were 2-1 down and didn't look all that impressive, in fact looked quite fragile at times. Everton's defence collapsed  once Watford got their second and it looked so easy for them from that point on. Saints can still get three points from this game with the right selections and slowly start to move up the table. We now have sufficient back up to cover any tired legs. COYS.

4 hours ago, TWar said:

You seem to be advocating that Adams starts at he expense of our best finisher Broja because Che creates more. So without Broja who is going to convert the chances Che creates? Bit of a vicious circle really. If fit, Broja should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Maybe I've misunderstood your point.

SURELY giving S.Armstrong the captaincy last night is an indication that he's going to play an important (starting) role going forward. If the manager plays Walcott over him again I'll go f*cking loopy. 

It won't be this, but I'd like to see:

---------------Forster-------------

-Liv-----Lyanco---Salisu--Perraud-

-SArm---Diallo----Romeu--Djenepo-

----------Broja---AArm------------

• Like 2

Lots for Ralph to ponder in terms of his team selection for this one. Which of our two 'keepers does he pick? I'd give FF a go but Ralph will almost certainly stick with AM. Does he give Lyanco a try alongside Salisu or maybe even in a 3 with Bednarek? Will JWP come straight back despite fine performances from Diallo? Does Stuart Armstrong get a start? Who will play up front? Will Ralph continue to find a place in the starting line up for Walcott? - would be sheer madness but I wouldn't rule it out. It's good that he has more options and lets hope he makes the right choices and we come away with a much needed win although a draw seems more likely.

3 hours ago, Teddeer said:

You seem to be advocating that Adams starts at he expense of our best finisher Broja because Che creates more. So without Broja who is going to convert the chances Che creates? Bit of a vicious circle really. If fit, Broja should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Maybe I've misunderstood your point.

I, despite what others have said, think that Adam Armstrong is a decent finisher. He had good finishing stats in the championship comparable to other players who have done well in the prem in the past and he dispatched the goal against Everton well. You could argue Broja is better than Armstrong, which is fair, but I think you need one guy who can put chances away and one who can make them, unless you have especially creative attacking mids which we don't.

I wouldn't mind Broja and Adams for the record but I think maybe Broja and Armstrong with our attacking mids would not lead to a huge number of shots on target purely due to the lack of creativity. We always need one more creative guy (Adams/Redmond) to balance with our pure finisher (Armstrong/Broja) imo.

On 27/10/2021 at 07:23, Sarisbury Saint said:

Foster

Livamento. Lyanco  Salisu   Perraud

Romeu    Diallo

KWP                                       Redmond

S Armstrong

Broja

Tella for Redmond and I'd agree with you. Will never happen though

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I guess some will be dictated by how fit some of the guys who did well on Tuesday are. Lyanco and Stu both haven’t played much football this season, and put in a real shift Tuesday night, so maybe not 100% on Saturday.

Good point. We might have a strong bench!

For all we like to theorise about team line-ups we don't know the background details like fitness, people carrying knocks and so forth. For all I sometimes find any managers' decision strange, whether line-ups or subs, I do accept that there may be reasons I don't know about..

• Lighthouse changed the title to Watford 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic