Watford 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

59 minutes ago, Dellman said:

I don't get the hatred for Walcott, just jealousy because he's done well and made a fortune and not with us? He remains the only player to have scored premier league goals in 14 (or is it 15?) consecutive seasons, a record that will probably never be equalled, let's hope he bangs in another this season and extends the record.  I am a supporter. If the manager picks a player, back him 100%

I don't think it's hate, and certainly not jealousy.  If there's a criticism of fans (not just this forum) is that we tend to rush to binary judgements about players.  So players can be written off far too quickly (in the current squad without breaking sweat I'm thinking both keepers, all four central defenders, all midfielders and several strikers).  My instinct is that Theo is done and is unlikely to add much value on the pitch from here on.  On the other hand he got a contract from the club and gets picked by the manager and so there's possibly something I'm not seeing.  I realise a moderate view sounds like sitting on the fence.  I'm hoping he doesn't get picked this weekend because I've seen nothing this season to warrant a place in the team.  But I wouldn't write his footballing obituary just yet.  Even Shane Long had a decent cameo on Tuesday!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I don't think it's hate, and certainly not jealousy.  If there's a criticism of fans (not just this forum) is that we tend to rush to binary judgements about players.  So players can be written off far too quickly (in the current squad without breaking sweat I'm thinking both keepers, all four central defenders, all midfielders and several strikers).  My instinct is that Theo is done and is unlikely to add much value on the pitch from here on.  On the other hand he got a contract from the club and gets picked by the manager and so there's possibly something I'm not seeing.  I realise a moderate view sounds like sitting on the fence.  I'm hoping he doesn't get picked this weekend because I've seen nothing this season to warrant a place in the team.  But I wouldn't write his footballing obituary just yet.  Even Shane Long had a decent cameo on Tuesday!

Shane Long is slightly different in that he doesn’t rely solely on pace, I think Theo’s legs have gone and without that (those) he has absolutely nothing. I agree re the the binary judgements, lyanco being the most recent example of zero to hero in two games, literally the definition of binary!

Not hatred, just objectivity. He looked like he still had something to offer in the first half of last season, but since coming back from injury he's looked poor, and so far this season has looked out of his depth and contributed nothing.

He's not the future of this team. A backup player at best now.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not hatred, just objectivity. He looked like he still had something to offer in the first half of last season, but since coming back from injury he's looked poor, and so far this season has looked out of his depth and contributed nothing.

He's not the future of this team. A backup player at best now.

A backup player who cost £0 except wages. I think that needs to be included in any objective thinking. If the club can hold on to or get players for no transfer fee then that’s a win, even if that player is a back up or cup player. 

10 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

A backup player who cost £0 except wages. I think that needs to be included in any objective thinking. If the club can hold on to or get players for no transfer fee then that’s a win, even if that player is a back up or cup player. 

That isn't true. Agent fee, loyalty fees, signing on fees etc etc

21 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

I think it is massively pushing it to describe Theo as a player who cost "£0".

His wages are huge and likely to be much higher than some players we have paid fees for. So you can't say "£0 except wages" like that's not the issue. It is the issue.

On the club's balance sheet, Theo is going to represent significant expenditure. 

Edited by CB Fry

13 hours ago, Minsk said:

Given Broja's injury, I don't think the team will be far from this:

McCarthy

Tino    Bednarek  Salisu  Perraud

JWP    Romeu

S Armstrong            Redmond

A Armstrong   Adams

Possibly Moi starting vice Stu? But as he had an op on his hand on Monday wouldn't have trained much this week.

Subs: Forster; KWP; Valery; Lyanco; Diallo; Smallbone; Djenepo; Moi; Tella

I like the position you put Theo, he should be there every match. 👍

7 hours ago, SaintZamboni said:

Wages are a significant “exception” He costs around £3.7 million a year plus, whatever it cost to get him here. 

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I think it is massively pushing it to describe Theo as a player who cost "£0".

His wages are huge and likely to be much higher than some players we have paid fees for. So you can't say "£0 except wages" like that's not the issue. It is the issue.

On the club's balance sheet, Theo is going to represent significant expenditure. 

It's a decent point though that although Theo's wage looks excessive, the club will have looked at the total cost compared to an equivalent player and decided it is better value. It just looks weird because Theo is getting a bigger % of the money

Anyway, back on today's game, as Broja us out I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4141

McCarthy

Livramento Salisu Bednarek Perrauld

Romeu

SA JWP Diallo Redmond 

AA 

With Bednarek possibly swapped out for Lyanco and Adams or (don't laugh) Long for AA.

Please no Walcott

• Like 1

I just want to see a lineup without Walcott. We have too many competent alternatives to even be considering him. 

I can’t say I know too much about how Watford play this year, but I’d like Armstrong and Redmond behind Armstrong and Che. 

Also took a look at the Watford forum and it’s nice to remember that it’s not just this place that’s gone insane.

08090E5F-A5BD-467E-9051-AD789013628D.jpeg

• Haha 3

Ralph was quoted as saying that JWP wouldn't automatically get his place back. Diallo has been playing very well in his absence and didn't deserve to be dropped.

Still not convinced by KWP at LB. 

Macca and Bednarek straight back in after their respective replacements both had great games against Chelsea.

At least Walcott isn't starting I suppose.

• Like 1

Shame Diallo misses out - but I suppose it was always going to happen. Wonder if we'll still see fast progression through midfield or if we'll be back to plod-plod-plod?

Why not a natural LB in the LB position?

This could see us slowing down play too much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

20211030_140017.jpg

Still baffled by the omission of Stuart Armstrong again. Presumably not injured as on the bench. I don’t understand why we would be starting Moi or Redmond in preference to him, sorry. Otherwise team is as I would have expected.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Pete said:

Still baffled by the omission of Stuart Armstrong again. Presumably not injured as on the bench. I don’t understand why we would be starting Moi or Redmond in preference to him, sorry. Otherwise team is as I would have expected.

I expect he will come on at some point, as will Diallo.

Just now, Saint Pete said:

He is coming back from injury, i agree he should play otherwise, and expect he will be starting games soon, but cant be rushed straight back into 90 mins.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Pete said:

Still building full fitness i would expect 

Can see the logic tbf, I'd have preferred Perraud but am also happy with KWP at left back.

JWP straight back in no surprise, before suspension I think had the 2nd highest "distance covered" and he is our captain. Who is to say we wouldnt have beaten Leeds even with him had he not be suspended.

Djenepo would have been handy off bench too.

Prediction - tight 1-0 Saints win whilst we make chances I just expect Saints to make a dogs dinner of about 7 of them

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

decent line up, KWP probably in at left back to try and keep Sarr quiet. Really should be winning this, no excuses. Watford 1-3 Saints (Redmond 31, Sarr 44, A. Armstrong 53, 70)

Why should we? If we do then it will be a good result away from home beating a side that has just beat Everton by a good margin in their own back yard.

6 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

Really should be winning this, no excuses. Watford 1-3 Saints (Redmond 31, Sarr 44, A. Armstrong 53, 70)

You not only have the scorers but the times in which they score?!  There's no way this is a 'no excuses for not winning' game. Watford are a strong, physical side with a couple of decent players, they also have a case for thinking it's a 'no excuses' game. I can see another draw coming up.

Edited by cloggy saint

A win would be insane. 😀

Seriously Watford are missing Dennis but King and Sarr are dangerous, King more so as his confidence will be high. Still, I don't think we've been in bad form and I tip us to get our first away win of the season today, even without Broja.

1-3 Saints, JWP on the sheet and Armstrong will get one.

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

Why should we? If we do then it will be a good result away from home beating a side that has just beat Everton by a good margin in their own back yard.

Depends on your PL aspirations really, with all due respect to Watford if we want to finish 12th or higher you should be beating promoted sides home and away with the odd exception.

Equally though, if Watford want to stay up then they should be targeting 3 pts against a team like us.

A draw keeps our head above the water really, doesn't do much favours.

Therefore on that front I hope it is a good open game where both go for it.

It didn’t matter how good Forster, Lyanco, Diallo etc played mid week or over the past 3 games in the case of Diallo, the old favourites were always coming back in.

Anyone who believed that bullshit about JWP not assured of his place is a mug.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Depends on your PL aspirations really, with all due respect to Watford if we want to finish 12th or higher you should be beating promoted sides home and away with the odd exception.

Equally though, if Watford want to stay up then they should be targeting 3 pts against a team like us.

A draw keeps our head above the water really, doesn't do much favours.

Therefore on that front I hope it is a good open game where both go for it.

So you agree then? 👍😉

I have a good feeling for today. I have no idea why. 

Liking the look of the team lineup and the only improvement would by S Armstrong in IF and when he is fully fit from what is available. 

Thinking it will be a good game 👍

26 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

There was no way he was going from being injured and one (i think? maybe 2) sub appearance to starting 2 games a in a week. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Watford 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic