Transfer deadline day chat

Pilchards

I'd probably let Djenepo go on loan if possible, assuming it is 2 players for each position then we have Redmond/Elyounoussi/Walcott/Stu. Armstrong to cover the wide number 10 roles.

Although, I'd only send him on loan to an environment where he will succeed, or to a club who we can get at least £7m/£8m for... from an accounting perspective that would be a profit on a registered player so gives us room FFP wise, even if we did spend £14m on him.

We all know selling at the right time is just as important as buying

1 hour ago, DT said:

They've shored up their defence, weakened a relegation rival considerably, and invested in a decent midfielder and probably some more to come. Easily enough to progress to phase two after staying up. Eminently sensible to me. Next season will be the one where they invest in a higher grade. Basically early Man City.

Easy to make lazy Man City comparison. Just buying average players hardly wanted by their previous mid table teams doesn’t equate to shoring up the defence. Howe needs to prove he can organise a defence first. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, igsey said:

He's just going there on loan so will keep his same wages at Villa surely?

If that was the case there would be little incentive for him to move up north. 

As well as increased wages, I would guess that Targett  would be on some large bonus if Newcastle stay up. Good luck to him.

40 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

The comparisons are ridiculous really. It's a different football world now. City didn't have a Man City to compete with! They didn't have a resurgent Liverpool. City's presence has driven spending at other big clubs with mixed results. Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool all spend fortunes, others like Everton, Leicester, Spurs even Villa spend big. The Neymar transfer saw fees go insane generally. 

So Newcastle can spend fortunes but there's never been less guarantee of success. They start with a terrible side, they start with IMO a really limited manager. Players aren't going to be convinced to go there because there's likely CL football any time soon. Man Utd aren't going to keep being as rubbish (and even rubbish, they're still in the CL place hunt). Arsenal are steadily improving and City, Chelsea and Liverpool are well ahead of the rest. So Newcastle have an outside chance of being in a 4 or 5 team race for 4th place in the next few years IF they spend very well and get a better manager. 

Seems far more likely to me they'll spend fortunes and get nowhere. With Chelsea and to some extent city there was some vague novelty of it being like football manager with endless signings, slightly disrupting the usual challengers. It doesn't feel like that now. It's (somehow) even more despicable ownership, and depressing that a club will sell off any semblance of meaning to have a chance of being a lesser version of soulless City. Just logically it can't be the way forward or you end up with 20 clubs all backed by horrific but rich owners, all throwing fortunes at new players and most of them failing. 

Do you really think Eddie Howe will be there for phase two? He'll be jettisoned quicker than one can say 'I don't think regimes with public executions should be allowed to own football clubs'

Whoops. How did that get in there...

• Haha 5

Just see Turkish transfer window shuts end of Feb, so no rush on Djenepo deal today. 

Bit odd Cantwell and Nat Phillips both going on loan to Bournemouth - just goes to show how many rumours are agent nonsense given they were linked with prem moves throughout the whole window. 

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Shame Ramsey feels he has to retire this early! Still got the legs to do it in the PL in my opinion, but he's been busy rejecting PL clubs all window.

Retirement it is then.

Decent money to play in the champions league, win the vast majority of games you play in and be a star player without much effort required? I can't really blame him. He's tested himself at the highest level for long enough.

As it looks like we won't be doing anything of note today, it looks set to be a very busy summer. When you look at it, a lot of players will be moving on or signing new contracts.

Forster, McCarthy, Caballero, Lewis & Long are all set to leave this summer & Broja is going back to Chelsea as it stands.

Djenepo, Walcott, Romeu, Elyounoussi, Redmond & Valery will only have a year left on their contracts, so will ideally need to be sold unless they are signing new ones. 

It'll certainly be interesting now we are in a slightly better position financially. 

• Like 1

Here's one Newcastle missed out on ;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60197741

"Roberto Carlos' brilliant, swerving free-kick for Brazil against France in 1997 is one of the most memorable goals in the history of football.

It's no wonder then that a pub team in Shropshire could hardly believe it when they learned the World Cup-winning full-back will play for them in a Sunday league match.

The Bull In The Barne won the services of Carlos - now 48 - in a 'dream transfer raffle' on eBay meaning he will appear as a substitute at one of their Shrewsbury & District games in February.

"You pay £5 to enter the raffle for a chance to have a pro sign for your team. One of our lads said in a group chat 'let's just give it a go' and we ended up winning it," striker and club secretary Matthew Brown told BBC Radio Shropshire."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

"Roberto Carlos' brilliant, swerving free-kick for Brazil against France in 1997 is one of the most memorable goals in the history of football.

It's no wonder then that a pub team in Shropshire could hardly believe it when they learned the World Cup-winning full-back will play for them in a Sunday league match.

The Bull In The Barne won the services of Carlos - now 48 - in a 'dream transfer raffle' on eBay meaning he will appear as a substitute at one of their Shrewsbury & District games in February.

"You pay £5 to enter the raffle for a chance to have a pro sign for your team. One of our lads said in a group chat 'let's just give it a go' and we ended up winning it," striker and club secretary Matthew Brown told BBC Radio Shropshire."

That’s not fair, all we won was half a fee for Bradley Wright-Phillips.

22 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Are they still in with a shout of the real star prize of Eni Aluko though?

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/ebay-are-giving-sunday-league-teams-the-chance-to-sign-roberto-carlos-and-eni-aluko-with-the-dream-transfer

43 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

As it looks like we won't be doing anything of note today, it looks set to be a very busy summer. When you look at it, a lot of players will be moving on or signing new contracts.

Forster, McCarthy, Caballero, Lewis & Long are all set to leave this summer & Broja is going back to Chelsea as it stands.

Djenepo, Walcott, Romeu, Elyounoussi, Redmond & Valery will only have a year left on their contracts, so will ideally need to be sold unless they are signing new ones. 

It'll certainly be interesting now we are in a slightly better position financially. 

The only one on that list I really care about is Romeu, of course I would have Broja but I can't see it happenning. If we are moving forward the rest wouldn't be missed, I'd  like to cash out on Redmond too if there is some value there.'

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yup - he's not going to go to the other big 5 clubs.  Palace would probably be a good fit for him.

Hmm....Palace now in for him it seems....

Don't think he can go to either Everton or Newcastle, unless they buy him as they've already used their 2 loans.

Edited by Saint Garrett