Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

33 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Eh? What's more consistent.... putting together regular wins of consistent form, or showing no signs of progress/potential by flip flopping between losing one week and winning the next? You're either happy with the table at the end of the season or you're not... Everyone knows that Ralph is streaky... consistently streaky in fact.

I don't see it that way, what I am saying is he would have far more credibility if the wins and losses were spread out more evenly. There are always going to be good runs and bad runs, but his are far too extreme. In one sense the points gained kept us up, yes. But my view its Russian roulette.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Don’t read the latest Athletic today Nick !

Why is that then Ron? Im not going to subscribe to the Athletic. IMO they were too loose with the info re drinks breaks etc last season. I think our form dropped after this was disclosed

7 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Why is that then Ron? Im not going to subscribe to the Athletic. IMO they were too loose with the info re drinks breaks etc last season. I think our form dropped after this was disclosed

You honestly believe that no other professional outfit knew this was happening, until the Athletic did a 'scoop' on it?

It was common knowledge on here way before that article, and we have no idea what we are talking about most of the time

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

Just now, Edmonton Saint said:

So we hand Stephens and McCarthy new contracts last season, only to now be trying to offload them both ? This club has made some baffling decisions over the years 

The more you dig into these issues, the more you have to wonder if those at the top are up to the task of running a premier league outfit

Just now, OldNick said:

🚨 Southampton are ‘keen’ to offload 28-year-old winger Nathan Redmond and ‘freshen the attacking positions’ #saintsfc @J_Tanswell

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Southampton are ‘keen’ to offload 28-year-old winger Nathan Redmond and ‘freshen the attacking positions’ #saintsfc @J_Tanswell

Thanks for that. Shame they are 'keen' but im sure plenty on here think the same!!

8 minutes ago, ecurnew02 said:

Curious to know what peoples thoughts on Rob Holding are

Another good shout...! I think he's decent, not the most spectacular technical ball playing CB - but do we need that? We need an organiser and communicator and he would be levels above who we have in that regard.

He's a good age, not too old but lots of PL experience. He's probably not a CL centre half, but we don't need a CL centre half.  He's still young enough to have England international aspirations as well, so the promise of first team football here could work.

Arsenal have Saliba, Gabriel and White as their 3 CB's, you'd say with that crop he's 4th choice so he may want to leave to play games.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

I’d heard this in the Midlands as well. He’d be expensive as a total package but a lot cheaper for SR than relegation. The side are nailed on to go down without reinforcing the back line, player sales or not. Bednarek can always loaned out if we can’t sell, longish contract so a good 12 months in another league might increase interest again. Mings won’t take any shit in the dressing room, and JWP, Oriol and KWP need some support in there. The fans forum showed how soft the club has become and 2-3 bastards needed by the end of the window to provide some backbone and leadership to the talented younger recruits.

A few of the dubious characters might decide they don’t fancy being in the environment with someone telling them to pull their finger out and their agents might finally get them moved on, to help pay for it. Another aggressive player needed in the frontline in a similar mode. Time to put a few permanently in the u23s until they leave, the club is too nice and it’s about to be in a genuine relegation battle this time. 

You seem very well informed.  I like the cut of you jib.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

I’d heard this in the Midlands as well. He’d be expensive as a total package but a lot cheaper for SR than relegation. The side are nailed on to go down without reinforcing the back line, player sales or not. Bednarek can always loaned out if we can’t sell, longish contract so a good 12 months in another league might increase interest again. Mings won’t take any shit in the dressing room, and JWP, Oriol and KWP need some support in there. The fans forum showed how soft the club has become and 2-3 bastards needed by the end of the window to provide some backbone and leadership to the talented younger recruits.

A few of the dubious characters might decide they don’t fancy being in the environment with someone telling them to pull their finger out and their agents might finally get them moved on, to help pay for it. Another aggressive player needed in the frontline in a similar mode. Time to put a few permanently in the u23s until they leave, the club is too nice and it’s about to be in a genuine relegation battle this time. 

If we want a horrible player up front, should have moved for Diego Costa. Think I read somewhere that he was about to sign for Rayo Vallenco In Spain 

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Another good shout...! I think he's decent, not the most spectacular technical ball playing CB - but do we need that? We need an organiser and communicator and he would be levels above who we have in that regard.

He's a good age, not too old but lots of PL experience. He's probably not a CL centre half, but we don't need a CL centre half.  He's still young enough to have England international aspirations as well, so the promise of first team football here could work.

Arsenal have Saliba, Gabriel and White as their 3 CB's, you'd say with that crop he's 4th choice so he may want to leave to play games.

If we do go for an 'experienced' CB, it is essential that he has the qualities that we need, not just games under his belt, and your assessment seems very sound. After all, Bednarek has played in 132 PL matches, yet lacks most of the qualities you highlight!  Assuming Arsenal were willing to sell, I wonder what he would be valued at, and whether his salary would be beyond us?

44 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Busy day 😉

4E3AFD99-B8F0-4530-9060-6D746EDB6721.png

Do the people / person behind SE have any solid credentials? 

No blue tick. Even my Nan has a blue tick. (She doesn’t actually. But would if she was alive). 

Edited by Greenridge
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Appy said:

We’re going to end up signing Tyrone Mings aren’t we? 

Or Michael Keane. Or Lascelles. Or Phil Jones 😳.

On another note, saw Matt Ritchie wants a move back to the south coast. Wonder if he could come on the radar as cover for the full-back/wing-back areas if we get desperate.

18 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

If we do go for an 'experienced' CB, it is essential that he has the qualities that we need, not just games under his belt, and your assessment seems very sound. After all, Bednarek has played in 132 PL matches, yet lacks most of the qualities you highlight!  Assuming Arsenal were willing to sell, I wonder what he would be valued at, and whether his salary would be beyond us?

He's got 2 years left on his contract, so maybe we can do a season long loan and then pick him up for a a smaller fee next summer? (negotiate a buy option into the deal or similar).

I agree with what you say though, I know there are calls for defenders to have experience etc but like you said it's not just the number of games, it's what they can bring that's different to what we have. So he's certainly not another ball playing/technical centre back, he's more of your traditional organisor/communicator type who wouldn't venture too high. You'd argue he'd be perfect for a 3 as well, with the more agile/quick CB's flanking either side in ABK and Salisu.  Mings is similar, but has a bit more about him physically I think.

Lascellels is an option, but a little bit down my list now people have brought up the two above!

Edited by S-Clarke

I wouldn’t say Dennis is that big a deal. He was average at best for Watford last season and will likely be a average again.

Forest have had a good crack at it but I feel they’re just pushing it that but too much now and have probably overbought - a bit like Fulham did a couple of years ago.

In terms of us, as someone above said CHO hasn’t signed for anyone (although I doubt it’ll be us), Delap hasn’t signed for anyone.

I’d like to think SR will pull a couple of rabbits out the hat in these next couple of weeks; and let’s face it if we lose tomorrow they might not have any choice!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

No wonder morale is dogshite in the squad, half the team have been told they can leave. A lot of players being offered out if true.

I’m getting confused…..I thought morale was dogshite because RH, Semmens and Toby haven’t got a clue what they’re doing??

Edited by Puddings and Monkeys
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I wouldn’t say Dennis is that big a deal. He was average at best for Watford last season and will likely be a average again.

Forest have had a good crack at it but I feel they’re just pushing it that but too much now and have probably overbought - a bit like Fulham did a couple of years ago.

In terms of us, as someone above said CHO hasn’t signed for anyone (although I doubt it’ll be us), Delap hasn’t signed for anyone.

I’d like to think SR will pull a couple of rabbits out the hat in these next couple of weeks; and let’s face it if we lose tomorrow they might not have any choice!

I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't see the fuss around Dennis.

All I saw from Dennis was 6 months of decent form, went to the AFCON, came back and was not really a threat for Watford for the remainder of the season. I wouldn't feel comfortable splurging £20m on him anyway, given that they'd bought him for £3.6m and he hasn't really done enough to warrant over a £15m valuation increase.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If we want a horrible player up front, should have moved for Diego Costa. Think I read somewhere that he was about to sign for Rayo Vallenco In Spain 

About to? As in hasn't yet? FFS why aren't we going for him? Forget wages. Forget re-sale value. He's just the sort of player the team has lacked for years. Can't see Djnepo strolling when he should be sprinting back, or Redmond laughing after his "shot" goes closer to the corner than the goal with Costa likely to bite their heads off in the tunnel.

Can't imagine Mings puts up with much shit either, we'll have him as well.

Edited by Wurzel
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, beavis17 said:

Or Michael Keane. Or Lascelles. Or Phil Jones 😳.

On another note, saw Matt Ritchie wants a move back to the south coast. Wonder if he could come on the radar as cover for the full-back/wing-back areas if we get desperate.

Ritchie was at Southampton airport on Monday 🤔 didn't think anything of it given that he probably has roots nearby.

3 minutes ago, Adkins' Bus said:

Ritchie was at Southampton airport on Monday 🤔 didn't think anything of it given that he probably has roots nearby.

He still lives near Ringwood.  His family have never moved to the Newcastle area, he commutes.

15 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

About to? As in hasn't yet? FFS why aren't we going for him? Forget wages. Forget re-sale value. He's just the sort of player the team has lacked for years. Can't see Djnepo strolling when he should be sprinting back, or Redmond laughing after his "shot" goes closer to the corner than the goal with Costa likely to bite their heads off in the tunnel.

Can't imagine Mings puts up with much shit either, we'll have him as well.

He’d never get through our goody two shoes, Boy Scout, mother Theresa screening process 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Edmonton Saint said:

So we hand Stephens and McCarthy new contracts last season, only to now be trying to offload them both ? This club has made some baffling decisions over the years 

It gives them a transfer value and means they are not  likely to go for nothing and are still on the books if we need them as back up. Seems sensible to me.

• Like 2