Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

33 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Personally thought Diallo and Stephens were worse last night, but Tella is one of the most wasteful players on the ball I've ever seen for us. I've quite liked him at times, but he gives the ball away so much either carelessly or miscontrolling the ball. We have too many players that are not good enough to play in the premier league and that is our biggest issue.

Last night we had: McCarthy, Stephens, Diallo, Tella, Broja (at current standards), who are not good enough to play in this league, and thats half the team. It's drags down the ones that are good enough.  I can only assume Diallo has played because Romeu is off in the summer. He was shocking against Brentford and he was shocking last night, and I fully expect him to start against Leicester, and I'm sure he'll be shocking then too.

I agree with pretty much everything you have written. However, Diallo did okish earlier in the season (when JWP was suspended) and I think that he deserves a couple of games to prove that he is worth keeping. Agree that he was awful at Brentford and last night, but sometimes players need to be given a few games to get their form back. Sadly that wasn't the case with Diallo (or the other players you named last night). Should Diallo play at Leicester ?  Maybe.   Is Diallo premier standard and worth keeping ?   I'm not convinced. We need a big physical midfield player to start kicking people and defending set-pieces. But they cost a few quid ...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

SALUSI'S LOG THROWS WERE ALWAYS GOBBLED UP BY LIVERP.  YET WE PERSISTED WITH THEM INSTEAD OF THROWING TO A NEARBY TEAM MATE. THE DEFIINITION OF MADNESS PERSONIFIED

Have you not read the articles about this. I took it for a joke but seriously, it's for real. That is a deliberate tactic, the aim is to let the defenders head them clear whilst our boys hang back to win the second ball as it drops. I kid you not, the most ridiculous tactic I've ever heard, which possibly had some surprise element to it if we hadn't announced it to the world.

EDIT: So ridiculous I have now double checked it wasn't an April Fools joke - it's not !

• Like 1

Maybe just maybe Ralph's player assessments matches those of posters here and by his team selection aims to impress their failings on those that hold the purse strings. Certainly, after last night's performance no one can be in any doubt that a radical overhaul is needed to avoid being relegation favourites next season.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Have you not read the articles about this. I took it for a joke but seriously, it's for real. That is a deliberate tactic, the aim is to let the defenders head them clear whilst our boys hang back to win the second ball as it drops. I kid you not, the most ridiculous tactic I've ever heard, which possibly had some surprise element to it if we hadn't announced it to the world.

EDIT: So ridiculous I have now double checked it wasn't an April Fools joke - it's not !

Yeah I read that in the echo, it's daft. I don't understand. They can't even throw it long, even trying Lyanco on it now. I think it's a Dave Watson masterpiece, he's the set piece guy. Another who has been stealing a living at this club for too long.

What seems to happen more often than not is that we get broken on because our CB's are in the wide area's after having taken a throw in. We seem to be looking for these tiny little gains and special ways to surprise teams, probably an admission that it's the only we can compete. It's all very depressing really.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah I read that in the echo, it's daft. I don't understand. They can't even throw it long, even trying Lyanco on it now. I think it's a Dave Watson masterpiece, he's the set piece guy. Another who has been stealing a living at this club for too long.

What seems to happen more often than not is that we get broken on because our CB's are in the wide area's after having taken a throw in. We seem to be looking for these tiny little gains and special ways to surprise teams, probably an admission that it's the only we can compete. It's all very depressing really.

It is excruciating to watch these - not long throw ins….

Our coaches don’t even seem capable of teaching how to execute a real long throw in . It’s disturbing how inept we have become even with this simple ‘tactic’

What planet are our executive management on to continue to accept this amateur pub league coaching….. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

SALUSI'S LOG THROWS WERE ALWAYS GOBBLED UP BY LIVERP.  YET WE PERSISTED WITH THEM INSTEAD OF THROWING TO A NEARBY TEAM MATE. THE DEFIINITION OF MADNESS PERSONIFIED

this annoys me so much its not true. For starters CBs should never be taking throws. They should either be in the box challenging for the header, or in a defensive position in case the ball is lost. And the ball is lost a lot in this situations because you are basically chucking it up in the air and hoping for the best. I can understand the logic of a looping throw. It's hard to clear well, so there is a good chance of picking up the second ball. However, it doesn't actually seem to work. The number fo times this year I have seen us be hit on the break from ur own throw in is incredible. It is a management failure to not spot this and change the tactic. 

It also makes me sad that we have gone from being a side with someone like Morgan in it, that will collect the ball short form every single throw in, keep possession and then start an attack where we actually have control of the ball. Hopeful throws down the line or in the box should never be happening. I wouldn't want to see it in Sunday league never mind this level. Its embarrassingly poor.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, redkeith said:

Yes it was a depleted Liverpool team, but the whole club si so well drilled at its pressing game that, once they remembered this after 20 minutes, we could barely string 3 passes together. When JWP or Diallo tried to control and turn they had 3 men on the at times. 

Agree with the above posters that we should have been hitting the channels. The one time we did that right in the 2nd half resulted in a free kick to us and what should have been at least a  yellow card for Milner.

Yet again we failed to deal with a player floating   just behind the front 2.  This time it was Firmino, but the same happened with Coutinho, Mount and Erickson. This has to change. Earlier in the season we  did this at Man City and Chelsea, so why not now ?

Whoever is responsible for assigning markers at set pieces needs sacking . KWP on their tallest centre back FFS ! 

At least Redmond put in a shift for once .    

what a very good post.

Liverpool certainly did press us well (especially for a thrown together side) and we had no answer. Isn't always the case? If I was an opposing manager I'd press the fuck out of us - we can't cope at all - although many other tactics seem to work against us. Wonder what our tactic is against the press? Cross our fingers? 

Spot on about the floating player. One thing I would say is Diallo provides almost no cover to CBs. He is wrong side of the ball far too much and usually five to te yards too far advanced and not filling that space where the floating player resides. 

I'd love to analyse a game with Ralph and see what he sees. I see players looking at ipads before coming on, but the attention to detail is non existent.

• Like 3

We had a late flurry of attacking activity just before the full time whistle, and my friend who has no knowledge of football turned to me and said "why haven't been playing like this all game?"

Exactly. We have it in us but we seem to be coached to be scared of the opposition. OK Liverpool's youth team could probably beat us right now but even so, the team they put out wasn't perfect and I thought we could have got something from the game. 

I know we're probably stuck with Ralph next season but please let him have some money to spend on quality. Our team is crap and stale and we are one bad window away from relegation. 

7 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

We had a late flurry of attacking activity just before the full time whistle, and my friend who has no knowledge of football turned to me and said "why haven't been playing like this all game?"

Exactly. We have it in us but we seem to be coached to be scared of the opposition. OK Liverpool's youth team could probably beat us right now but even so, the team they put out wasn't perfect and I thought we could have got something from the game. 

Obviously we played five at the back and only one up front to limit the space for their dangerous attackers. We were thus on the back foot from the off and only got onto the front foot, when Liverpool dropped all men back themselves. Even if their side was weak, they still has some talent up top and when given a tiny bit of space they caused us problems. If there had been more they might have run riot. We gave Chelsea too much space and they destroyed us. I guess the fear was the same might happen.

I think though, when they named that side, there was an hour to play with and,= the manager should have ripped up all previous plans and had us pressing them and going for it. There was nothing to fear there. They were still good, but they weren't out of our league. That said, if Brentford can carve us open, then why not them? Despressing.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2022 at 09:37, saint_stevo said:

Rumoured starting 11 -

McCarthy ,Stephens, Lyanco, Salisu KWP, Diallo, JWP, Tella Moi, Broja, Redmond.

We will get absolutely murdered. Tella at LB? No Romeu? REDMOND FFS

You posted that yesterday morning and on reading it I thought if I knew that to be the starting line up, I don't think I can be bothered going, but doubt it will be. Congrats on your exclusive, and the team lived up to expectation. 

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I'd love to analyse a game with Ralph and see what he sees. I see players looking at ipads before coming on, but the attention to detail is non existent.

Tractor watching ?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I did like the half time music selection:

God save the Queen

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Not sure about the rest of the evening. 

And Two Princes. This trolling the opposition just makes us look small minded and rebounds when we inevitably lose

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Obviously we played five at the back and only one up front to limit the space for their dangerous attackers. We were thus on the back foot from the off and only got onto the front foot, when Liverpool dropped all men back themselves. Even if their side was weak, they still has some talent up top and when given a tiny bit of space they caused us problems. If there had been more they might have run riot. We gave Chelsea too much space and they destroyed us. I guess the fear was the same might happen.

I think though, when they named that side, there was an hour to play with and,= the manager should have ripped up all previous plans and had us pressing them and going for it. There was nothing to fear there. They were still good, but they weren't out of our league. That said, if Brentford can carve us open, then why not them? Despressing.

I agree with your   comments about tearing up the team sheet an hour before the game

5 hours ago, Wurzel said:

It's because we haven't got anybody who can head the ball. It's the same with all the high crosses and corners, which are our main form of attack. They all go to the heads of opposition players.  The only problem is they then head the ball to their own players, not ours, which results in a lot of counterattacks against us. 

20 hours ago, Chez said:

Diallo and Tella were poor. Both should have been subbed at half time IMO. Ralph waited until they scored the second. Not sure either are good enough for the Prem.

Moi was non existent in this game and JWP too I should add. So many players failed to show the courage on the ball needed when under pressure or the movement intoi space to help those goys under pressure. Not good at all.

Dialo & Tella seemed to do nothing other than lose possesion and fall over. Shouldn't have started either, and I expected to see Romeu at HT.

Elynoussi is another empty shirt.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, LGTL said:

A completely pointless evening by our pointless football club. 

Increasingly how I feel about it. Hope there will be some inspiation or investment from the new owners to rekindle interest for next season, although not holding my breath.

20 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agreed. Brentford had fuck all to play for, but still competed brilliantly against Everton,who needed a result. Same with Newcastle on Monday night. This lot are just not interested anymore. 

Yes, have to ask why ? Just the players, or lack of motivation from above?

• Like 1

The culprit has finally admitted his stupidity. Ralf says he insists on his goalkeepers playing out short from the back. Man City and Liverpool opted to play that way so they shelled out megabucks for two world class Brazilian goalkeepers comfortable with the ball at their feet. We on the other hand insist that our goalkeepers with poor passing ability who are totally uncomfortable playing short especially McCarthy who is hopeless because he does it irrespective of the risk, at least Forster clears his lines if any risk.

To make matters worse the defenders who receive the ball are also poor on the ball. All our opponents have worked us out the poorer sides back off and hit us on the break, the better sides press us and we give the ball away. We should not be playing that sort of game unless we have players confident on the ball and able to play good forward passes as available. Lyanco looked the most effective defender last night because he didn't get involved in the attempted tippy tappy which invariably lost us possession after a couple of aimless passes. 

If Ralf can't see this or worse insists on continuing to play this way he will get us relegated. That is not how we played when we were dominating matches and winning. It is how we have played in every losing series.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, derry said:

The culprit has finally admitted his stupidity. Ralf says he insists on his goalkeepers playing out short from the back. Man City and Liverpool opted to play that way so they shelled out megabucks for two world class Brazilian goalkeepers comfortable with the ball at their feet. We on the other hand insist that our goalkeepers with poor passing ability who are totally uncomfortable playing short especially McCarthy who is hopeless because he does it irrespective of the risk, at least Forster clears his lines if any risk.

To make matters worse the defenders who receive the ball are also poor on the ball. All our opponents have worked us out the poorer sides back off and hit us on the break, the better sides press us and we give the ball away. We should not be playing that sort of game unless we have players confident on the ball and able to play good forward passes as available. Lyanco looked the most effective defender last night because he didn't get involved in the attempted tippy tappy which invariably lost us possession after a couple of aimless passes. 

If Ralf can't see this or worse insists on continuing to play this way he will get us relegated. That is not how we played when we were dominating matches and winning. It is how we have played in every losing series.

Agree with all of that, I said to the guy next to me last night that one of the main differences between the two teams was the goalie !

Allison consistently found his own man whereas McCarthy didn’t !

PL class is normally defined by control, touch, pass, move and vision. That’s why the top teams are in a league of their own..

Sadly it’s not gonna change for us unless we can exchange the likes of Romeu for DeBruyne 😩

1 hour ago, derry said:

I think McCarthy is one of the worst ball playing goal keepers I've ever seen, but our persistence with him just sums up all that's wrong with this club and the constant persistence with average in the hope it'll turn good. Redmond, Moussa, Ely, Bednarek all fall into that category too. He may have 'worked' on his feet a lot more but it hasn't helped, he needs to focus on getting it gone as soon as possible. But sadly that doesn't work with the way we set up, that bypasses the portions of our team where we set up the play (full backs) so it just keeps coming back as we have no real focal up top.

A good goal keeper who is comfortable with the ball at his feet would change a lot if we are insistent on playing this way, it wouldn't fix everything, but I think we'd all notice an immediate difference. I even noticed a difference with Willy and he's a 40 year old bloke, his distribution is better than either Fraser or McCarthy.

10 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Don’t worry I am sure the marketing team can rescue something out of it, expect an end of season dvd release             “Saints 100 greatest throw ins” 😂

• Haha 2

McCarthy has tried to work on his passing but it's hard, or nigh on impossible, to coach that into someone at this stage of their career. Caballero, however, is one of the best keepers around for passing. His technique is so smooth.

Go back a few years and the game didn't dictate that teams needed a keeper to necessarily be great at passing, but with the number of teams pressing high it's moved on to the extent that you can only now really get away with having a poor passer if you set up to allow them to launch it towards a target man.

Thrown in to the mix the fact our CB's are quite poor at passing and we really struggle to build from the back.

Having a keeper who can distribute well would massively improve us.

Last night, a keeper with decent passing would have been able to hit the ball over the press to the full backs or wide midfielders, or pick out someone central sat between the lines and let them move the ball up the pitch.

It's imperative we find someone who can do that. They don't have to be Ederson or Alisson quality with their feet as they are on another level, but there will be options around who are far, far better in that department than McCarthy or Forster (not that he'll be here next season anyway)

• Like 3

We're not going to be able to afford a keeper who can save shots regularly, command his area AND pass the ball well. Given that fact I'd much prefer a keeper who is stronger at the first two than the last one. You can adapt your tactics to allow for a keeper who can't accurately pass it 40 yards - i.e, don't pass it back to him - but you can't account for a keeper who consistently let's shots in at the near post or who never comes to claim crosses even when they're in his 6 yard box. Our biggest problem for a few years now has been the amount of goals we concede so we should be focussing on improving that with a keeper who we can count on to collect crosses and stop a decent percentage of shots faced and improvement at CB.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

We're not going to be able to afford a keeper who can save shots regularly, command his area AND pass the ball well. Given that fact I'd much prefer a keeper who is stronger at the first two than the last one. You can adapt your tactics to allow for a keeper who can't accurately pass it 40 yards - i.e, don't pass it back to him - but you can't account for a keeper who consistently let's shots in at the near post or who never comes to claim crosses even when they're in his 6 yard box. Our biggest problem for a few years now has been the amount of goals we concede so we should be focussing on improving that with a keeper who we can count on to collect crosses and stop a decent percentage of shots faced and improvement at CB.

Biggest problem….we just gave a new contract to one who can’t pass, can’t kick, can’t control his area and can’t save shots high or low.

What clown thought it a good idea?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Badger said:

Dialo & Tella seemed to do nothing other than lose possesion and fall over. Shouldn't have started either, and I expected to see Romeu at HT.

Elynoussi is another empty shirt.

Tella looked like bambi on ice and Elynoussi does an awful lot of finger pointing to teammates . Both too lightweight and it seems we have an abundance of lightweight.

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Biggest problem….we just gave a new contract to one who can’t pass, can’t kick, can’t control his area and can’t save shots high or low.

What clown thought it a good idea?

Saints negotiated a contract with McCarthy last Summer, we haven't just given him a new one. There is no reason in the world why they can't sell him now (apart from the obvious, no one would buy). Things changed during the season, must admit the fiasco when McCarthy was injured would be the end of his Saints career (and might effectively still be except him covering for Forster's injury). Clearly the plan last summer was to clear out our goalkeeper stock, but having an eye on maintaining some continuity by keeping one as a probable backup to a new #1 - Macca's revised contract certainly was not as a guaranteed #1, as far as I can tell from the evidence of the reports/rumours at the time. Forster was in great form for a while while he came back in but has largely reverted to type more recently. McCarthy was actually OK before the Norwich game and then subsequently the game where he was injured.

In my opinion what we should now do this Summer is offer a one year extension to Willy, make McCarthy available for transfer/loan, say bye bye to Forster (not forgetting we have already said farewell to Harry Lewis) and invest in 2 new keepers (No 1 and young No 3) - it sounds like the Pole is a done deal (despite the comments read today). We should also ditch 2 former goalkeepers from our coaching staff (not our GK Coach who actually has seemingly worked hard at improving our current keepers, even though you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear) and employ some experienced "outfield" coaching staff to help Ralph and Richard.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chez said:

Regarding tearing up the team sheet Ralph has stated that the Liverpool side was pretty much as he expected and one they had used previously in cup games so he has admitted he selected his line-up based on that. He was prepared and there were no surprises - meaning no excuses for the car wreck he picked.

23 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Personally thought Diallo and Stephens were worse last night, but Tella is one of the most wasteful players on the ball I've ever seen for us. I've quite liked him at times, but he gives the ball away so much either carelessly or miscontrolling the ball. We have too many players that are not good enough to play in the premier league and that is our biggest issue.

Last night we had: McCarthy, Stephens, Diallo, Tella, Broja (at current standards), who are not good enough to play in this league, and thats half the team. It's drags down the ones that are good enough.  I can only assume Diallo has played because Romeu is off in the summer. He was shocking against Brentford and he was shocking last night, and I fully expect him to start against Leicester, and I'm sure he'll be shocking then too.

criticism of Broja has been quite ridiculous. 

Nobody within 20 yards of him and getting the ball blasted at him. He's also 2 years younger than Tella. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2022 at 21:37, DT said:

And yet he played well under a different manager and coaching set up  in Scotland. Go figure. 

The Scottish League is a Mickey Mouse waste of two team time league. My dog would probably knock a few in for either Celtic or Rangers

11 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

The Scottish League is a Mickey Mouse waste of two team time league. My dog would probably knock a few in for either Celtic or Rangers

It’s a nonsense argument, like saying Diego Forlan was good for Athleti, so SAF must have been a bad manager.

17 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think McCarthy is one of the worst ball playing goal keepers I've ever seen, but our persistence with him just sums up all that's wrong with this club and the constant persistence with average in the hope it'll turn good. Redmond, Moussa, Ely, Bednarek all fall into that category too. He may have 'worked' on his feet a lot more but it hasn't helped, he needs to focus on getting it gone as soon as possible. But sadly that doesn't work with the way we set up, that bypasses the portions of our team where we set up the play (full backs) so it just keeps coming back as we have no real focal up top.

A good goal keeper who is comfortable with the ball at his feet would change a lot if we are insistent on playing this way, it wouldn't fix everything, but I think we'd all notice an immediate difference. I even noticed a difference with Willy and he's a 40 year old bloke, his distribution is better than either Fraser or McCarthy.

Call me old fashioned but  a goal keepers no 1 attribute should be actually stopping the ball going into the net. Modern football now needs a keeper to be able to pass and comfortable on the ball, it would be great if the same could be expected of or defenders and midfield.

9 hours ago, Ldnsaint said:

criticism of Broja has been quite ridiculous. 

Nobody within 20 yards of him and getting the ball blasted at him. He's also 2 years younger than Tella. 

Some fans don't have a fucking clue. He fed off absolute scraps. He put himself about, won a few free kicks, made a few dribbles. Not sure what else he could have done. I saw someone posting that he `didn't press enough' - as if a one man press does anything. I saw another Saints fan on twitter saying he "hasn't been arsed since November". November FFS.

The whole side has been poor, yet a nipper on loan is the one fans focus on. Adams is another that has failed to have much impact in the second half of the season. I presume that's because he doesn't want to be here too? Ings was a huge hole to fill and Broja has done a decent job. When he goes back there will be another hole. Armstrong is going to have to step up or we will be in big trouble.

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

Some fans don't have a fucking clue. He fed off absolute scraps. He put himself about, won a few free kicks, made a few dribbles. Not sure what else he could have done. I saw someone posting that he `didn't press enough' - as if a one man press does anything. I saw another Saints fan on twitter saying he "hasn't been arsed since November". November FFS.

The whole side has been poor, yet a nipper on loan is the one fans focus on. Adams is another that has failed to have much impact in the second half of the season. I presume that's because he doesn't want to be here too? Ings was a huge hole to fill and Broja has done a decent job. When he goes back there will be another hole. Armstrong is going to have to step up or we will be in big trouble.

Hard to have an impact when the manager doesn’t put you on the pitch.

36 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Hard to have an impact when the manager doesn’t put you on the pitch.

he's started 13 of the last 18 games. Like all the strikers, he hasn't made much of an impact on proceedings recently. We don't create any chances for them though