2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

had our eyes on 8 matches this weekend..

• Bournemouth 1 - 0 Liverpool 😟
  • Everton 1 - 0 Brentford 🙁
  • Leeds 2 - 2 Brighton OK
  • West Ham 1 -1 Villa OK
  • Leicester 1 - 3 Chelsea  Yay!
  • Spurs 3 - 1 Forest Yay!
  • Palace 0 - 1 City Yay!
  • Newcastle 2 - Wolves 1 Yay!

2-2-4

1) of our 8 relegation rivals - only 2 gained points on us

2) Now 5 points separates 12th and 20th place; before the weekend it was 6 points.

3) 59% chance of relegation now; before the weekend it was 64%

I would say a positive weekend overall (considering our opponent).

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 8

I said to a few guys at work a month or so ago I think it’ll be three of Saints, Bournemouth, Leeds and Leicester that’ll go down, and they all scoffed when I said Leicester…

Them and Palace have enough talent, but like us this time last season they are falling into the mix, probably an element early in the season of “we’re too good to drop down”. 👀

Five points departing 12-20th now, this is wide open! We just have to make the games count.

As I said the other day the whole bottom of the league is just bad, there is not a huge amount of quality deciding games right now, or teams clearly dominating others, so whilst we are still bad and people criticise the lack of quality in our squad I think it is not that bad compared to a lot in the PL. 

1 minute ago, tajjuk said:

As I said the other day the whole bottom of the league is just bad, there is not a huge amount of quality deciding games right now, or teams clearly dominating others, so whilst we are still bad and people criticise the lack of quality in our squad I think it is not that bad compared to a lot in the PL. 

You're right about this. It's evidenced by us looking semi organised over the last few games. Thats all you need really in the lower half of the PL

• Like 1

Is the league actually lacking quality? Or is that there are just lots of teams with similar quality squads? Most teams now have a squad costing well over 100m and all but a few sides have a side costing over 200m. I know cost doesn't guarentee quality, but I'd back most of the sides in the league to do pretty well in Europe. West Ham did well in europa league last season and are cruising the conference league, yet are seriously struggling in the league. 

• Like 3

I don't agree the league is awful this year. I think it's probably the best it's ever been, there are no whipping boys. It's clear that a middling club goes on a bad run they get sucked into the relegation battle.

There does however, seem to be a lot of teams with a lack of goals in their sides, and think thats probably skewing the quality in the league this year. If a team has a goalscorer (Brentford, Fulham) or has goals all over (Brighton) suddenly you fly up the league.

• Like 4

Agree with both of the above two previous posts. The concern for me is that if teams don't fall away, the required points total would end up being in the high 30s. I think we can achieve 35-ish, but so can a lot of sides whereas in recent years, you would expect a couple of teams to fail to reach 30 points.

I'm not saying it's going to be us (it's the hope that kills you), but I reckon at least one team is going down with a higher amount of points than normal.

On 13/03/2023 at 15:09, sydney_saint said:

Is the league actually lacking quality? Or is that there are just lots of teams with similar quality squads? Most teams now have a squad costing well over 100m and all but a few sides have a side costing over 200m. I know cost doesn't guarentee quality, but I'd back most of the sides in the league to do pretty well in Europe. West Ham did well in europa league last season and are cruising the conference league, yet are seriously struggling in the league. 

Premier League transfer fees are massively over inflated because of the money in the league. You only have to look at the fees for like Antony, Scammaca, Paqueta, Sancho, Nunez, Richarlison, Gordon etc. and see the returns/quality those clubs are getting to see that. I'm also not saying those players are flat out flops or bad players, just that when a PL club comes calling in Europe or to another PL club the fees are off the chart and not really reflective of how good they are.  I feel like someone like Antony or Nunez moves to like a good Spanish or Italian club they aren't paying £70-80 million but probably more like £40-50 million. 

Also yes West Ham did well in Europe last year, but they were doing decently in the league as well at the time and the conference league is not very high quality. 

Again I'd point to Spurs still sitting 4th, fairly comfortably, despite on many occasions this year being pretty damn average, and a lot of discontent over how they playing with Conte rumoured to be sacked etc.

Just now, Turkish said:

Quite the light show at Man City, Rio lapping it up, need more of this he says, in the US it’s normal.

Exciting times in the world of champions league soccerball 

Put ours to shame. Rasmus out. 

14 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Premier League transfer fees are massively over inflated because of the money in the league. You only have to look at the fees for like Antony, Scammaca, Paqueta, Sancho, Nunez, Richarlison, Gordon etc. and see the returns/quality those clubs are getting to see that. I'm also not saying those players are flat out flops or bad players, just that when a PL club comes calling in Europe or to another PL club the fees are off the chart and not really reflective of how good they are.  I feel like someone like Antony or Nunez moves to like a good Spanish or Italian club they aren't paying £70-80 million but probably more like £40-50 million. 

Also yes West Ham did well in Europe last year, but they were doing decently in the league as well at the time and the conference league is not very high quality. 

Again I'd point to Spurs still sitting 4th, fairly comfortably, despite on many occasions this year being pretty damn average, and a lot of discontent over how they playing with Conte rumoured to be sacked etc.

I get what you are saying, and I absolutely agree that they are overinflated. But that overinflation does mean that the EPL can hoover up the talent. Antony, Sancho, Nunez and Richarlidson probably aren't the best example, as they all went to the biggest clubs, which the big clubs in Europe are all paying big money, just look at Felix. But end of the day, if West Ham bid 30m for a player, and Valencia can only afford 15m, West Ham will get the better player, even if they did pay over the odds. 

Can only guess on how most of 'the rest' would go in Europe, as most of the time they do not qualify, but my gut tells me most of the sides would do pretty well in the Europa. Put another way, Rangers got to the final last year, and I think if we put that team in the EPL they would have got relegated. Aribo was one of their stars and who the fuck knows where he is now. 

I also think Spurs are a great example that the EPL does have decent quality. They are made to look average alot of the time because they are regularly playing decent sides. If you stuck them in La Liga, I think they would comfortably be beating the likes of Cadiz, Osasauna, Valladolid, Vallecano, even Betis. 

What's funny though is he has scored that amount of goals with Man City not particularly playing to his strengths. At least 3 of the goals last night I think were from set pieces where they actually put crosses into him and he was causing chaos, he's got a giant leap on him together with him being 6' 4". 

I noticed Haaland did that stupid knee slide celebration on at least one of his goals. I did a quick Google on his injury history and these popped up:

Knee Problems    Oct 29, 2020   
Knee Problems    May 28, 2020 
Knee Problems    Nov 14, 2019

As I said, our players aren't the only morons who do it.

"My super strength is scoring goals," Haaland told BT Sport. "A lot of it is being quick in the mind and trying to put it where the goalkeeper is not."

Are you listening, Che?

New manager bounce probably just in time for our game against them.

Big fan of Vieira. A bit like Saints, CP have needed a striker for years, they’ve gambled with Eduoard and it’s not really worked out. They have an exceptionally strong team but rely too heavily on players like Zaha, Eze and Olise - all of which have had injuries.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

another week where it is clear cut to whom we want to lose.

Forest vs. Newcastle

Villa vs. Bournemouth

Wolves vs. Leeds 

Brentford vs. Leicester

Chelsea vs. Everton

Arsenal vs. Crystal Palace

A lot of away games for a relegation rivals this week

41 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

another week where it is clear cut to whom we want to lose.

Forest vs. Newcastle

Villa vs. Bournemouth

Wolves vs. Leeds 

Brentford vs. Leicester

Chelsea vs. Everton

Arsenal vs. Crystal Palace

A lot of away games for a relegation rivals this week

I think we've gone past worrying about what others do, we can't even sort our own shit out. Doesn't matter what others do now.

• Like 1

Interesting to see the zip and energy Forest have as well as attacking threat, compared to us. Oh and voluble home support. I guess football is cyclical and we’re just in another downward cycle 

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t know which game you guys are watching but that was clearly offside.

Two Forest players kicked the ball deliberately before it got to Longstaff, i’m not sure in what sport he can be considered offside because it isn’t football.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Two Forest players kicked the ball deliberately before it got to Longstaff, i’m not sure in what sport he can be considered offside because it isn’t football.

He was a yard offside when the ball was first played forward by another Newcastle player (Isak). If he’d been onside for that but had then moved off by the time a Forest player had played it, the goal would have stood. He was initially passive but became active when he touched the ball.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He was a yard offside when the ball was first played forward by another Newcastle player (Isak). If he’d been onside for that but had then moved off by the time a Forest player had played it, the goal would have stood. He was initially passive but became active when he touched the ball.

It’s inconsistent. The Forest defender deliberately played the ball. Or did he? There have been other games where that would have been allowed. Salah anybody?

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s inconsistent. The Forest defender deliberately played the ball. Or did he? There have been other games where that would have been allowed. Salah anybody?

Irrelevant, he was offside when the ball was played by a Newcastle player.

Using your interpretation of the rule we can just stick a striker two yards from the keeper at all times and get other players to slam shots at him from 25 yards. Anything he saves, the striker can just tap in the rebound even if he’s ten yards offside because, in your view, an opponent played the ball.

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Using your interpretation of the rule we can just stick a striker two yards from the keeper at all times and get other players to slam shots at him from 25 yards. Anything he saves, the striker can just tap in the rebound even if he’s ten yards offside because, in your view, an opponent played the ball.

That’s not the rule though. There has been numerous goals given when a through ball to an offside player has been diverted by a deliberate touch from a defending player, which then created a new phase of play. The referee tonight (via VAR) must have determined that the plays of the ball by Forest players were not deliberate/in control of the ball - which seems pretty mental to me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent."

2 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent."

Fair enough, that’s a bad example but the original point still stands; he was offside when a Newcastle player played the ball.

30 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Not my view at all. I am just restating the interpretation of the Law as opinionated by the IFAB. I’m just saying that it’s applied inconsistently.

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Fair enough, that’s a bad example but the original point still stands; he was offside when a Newcastle player played the ball.

He was in an offside position, which is not of itself an offence. It is only penalised once he becomes involved. 

I’m old fashioned and prefer the historic interpretations.