2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

4 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

On balance, today's results were good to us. Thought Bournemouth beating Liverpool was an aberration, but now they need to take it easy on those aberrations! Leicester losing was good and the Forest/Wolves draw was a good one. Combine that with Leeds not pulling off a shock and we should be relatively happy. 

But we still have to win probably 5 games out of the remaining fixtures. I think we can, but it is close to the Last Chance Saloon.

Edited by badgerx16

Have to beat Palace, Bournemouth and Fulham at home for certain. We can maybe afford draws against West Ham and Forest but that would probably depend on us getting a shock win or two against Man City/Arsenal/Newcastle or Brighton. And then the final day against Liverpool could be anything, depends if they have anything to play for.

4 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Just seen Skates are only 3 points off the play offs as things stand. Swear that was like 12 points at one stage. 

They were miles away not long ago the cunts. There’s always someone that comes from nowhere and sneaks it, they’ve got the momentum now. Hopefully if they make it they get blown away by their opponents, don’t want to go down and have to play them next year if our squad gets ripped apart this summer.

Really disappointed with Bournemouth winning today, knowing that a win tomorrow would have seen us climb out the relegation zone at last.

Edited by bpsaint

8 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

They were miles away not long ago the cunts. There’s always someone that comes from nowhere and sneaks it, they’ve got the momentum now. Hopefully if they don’t make it they get blown away by their opponents, don’t want to go down and have to play them next year if our squad gets ripped apart this summer.

Really disappointed with Bournemouth winning today, knowing that a win tomorrow would have seen us climb out the relegation zone at last.

Plus they have a really easy run in. Think they only have to play Derby from the top half , all the rest of their fixtures are bottom half teams 

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Think is win or bust tomorrow now.

I don’t agree to be honest.I think 36 points may just keep us up.That would require 13 points from ten games. If we get a draw then we need 12 from 9. Thats 4 wins with Palace,Bournemouth& Fulham to come at home.It’s not over yet.

11 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Plus they have a really easy run in. Think they only have to play Derby from the top half , all the rest of their fixtures are bottom half teams 

Hope they go up, having the derby next season as clubs in the same division would be a bonus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

I don’t agree to be honest.I think 36 points may just keep us up.That would require 13 points from ten games. If we get a draw then we need 12 from 9. Thats 4 wins with Palace,Bournemouth& Fulham to come at home.It’s not over yet.

I tend to agree. A win tomorrow makes things look actually possible, if still unlikely. A draw isn’t game over but it doesn’t leave any wiggle room at all.  I still think we’ll come up way short by seasons end, and I’m expecting us to get done tomorrow anyway.  Get a win tomorrow though and and these fuckers will get me starting to believe again Ffs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Leicester - selling club. Thought they’d be more ambitious. Maybe their priorities have changed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Money man died in helicopter crash , similar to Marcus having a heart attack affecting Saints progress .

And they bought 2 of our out of form defenders !

1 hour ago, Archers Road Stand said:

The damage was done when we decided to keep him after last season. 

Yes, fair enough. Perhaps I should have said replacing him with NJ is the reason why we are going down. However I’m adamant he would have got more points than NJ did through our run of favourable fixtures.  Now we are stuck with a run of difficult games while the teams around us have better run ins.

Fulham were always going to roll over for Bournemouth today. Forest beat a dreadful Wolves side we couldn’t beat while Palace did the right thing in appointing Hodgson to see them through the rest of the season.  All we’ve done is made poor decision after poor decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Thw teams we were around over Christmas have pulled themselves up the table, and dragged in other mid table teams.

We haven’t really dragged ourselves anywhere, we’re hanging on to the rest of the pack.

I’d disagree, I think mad Nate was very efficient in dragging ourselves right to the bottom.

TBF Selles is doing his best but the damage was done in the lunacy appointment of Jones and his disastrous tenure over games that we simply had to take more from. An absolute shambles really.

Mixed bag of results but reasons to be cheerful:

- Leeds and Leicester lose

- Forest and Wolves both drop two points in winnable game

- Podence likely to be banned for spitting and Neves banned for two games for yellow cards

- Fulham, who we have at home, look like prime “on the beach” candidates 

8 minutes ago, Forester said:

- Podence likely to be banned for spitting and Neves banned for two games for yellow cards

Exactly this. Expecting all of our relegation rivals to lose on the same weekend is not going to happen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Thw teams we were around over Christmas have pulled themselves up the table, and dragged in other mid table teams.

We haven’t really dragged ourselves anywhere, we’re hanging on to the rest of the pack.

well i don't know about since Christmas, but in the last 6 matches Saints have 8 points, none of the bottom 9 have gotten more, except for Bournemouth thanks today's results.

so i tend to disagree, but yeah, our position as time goes is gets a bit more precarious to say the least.

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Have to beat Palace, Bournemouth and Fulham at home for certain. We can maybe afford draws against West Ham and Forest but that would probably depend on us getting a shock win or two against Man City/Arsenal/Newcastle or Brighton. And then the final day against Liverpool could be anything, depends if they have anything to play for.

Do you want another season of relegation battles from day one?

Whoever was responsible for the transfers in the January window must be removed forthwith.

Dragan must wield the axe, if we survive, and ensure he has an effective team in place to move upwards.

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

That’s how far we have fallen. Talking about a ‘shock win at Brighton’. 

51 minutes ago, waylander said:

Brighton have become a very decent team, have a bit of respect for a team that have done what we hoped to.

We DID do what they look like doing. They could still very easily finish in the bottom half of the table, so don't need to big them up too much yet. 

51 minutes ago, waylander said:

Brighton have become a very decent team, have a bit of respect for a team that have done what we hoped to.

The highest Brighton have ever finished is 9th. So come back when they've done 4 top eights in a row.

• Confused 1

Anything other than a win tomorrow and I think that’ll be it.

There’s too many teams involved and in better positions, and arguably with stronger players and ones that’ll take chances.

Can you imagine our position in the league if we had a a competent striker taking all those chances that fell to Che Adams.

53 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The highest Brighton have ever finished is 9th. So come back when they've done 4 top eights in a row.

I expect during the 4th season their fans will start moaning that the style of football is boring 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I stuck a bit on them getting promoted at 50/1 a couple of weeks ago after looking at their run in. 

3 hours ago, Forester said:

TBH, analysing all our rivals results every weekend is a fairly futile hobby. We know the cutoff is likely to be around 33-36 points, because everyone will pick up points here and there. We just need to get slightly above that. 

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anything other than a win tomorrow and I think that’ll be it.

There’s too many teams involved and in better positions, and arguably with stronger players and ones that’ll take chances.

Can you imagine our position in the league if we had a a competent striker taking all those chances that fell to Che Adams.

We aren't beating weat ham away. So best not plan on being on here tomorrow afternoon. 

There's not much point agonising over results when there are so many teams in the mix. Obviously we don't want "shock" results, like if Leeds had got something against Arsenal.

What would be quite handy, however, is if Leeds, Everton, West Ham and Leicester take a stuffing now and again because our GD difference is pish compared to theirs. We could put a decent run together and get to around 36 points but still go down on GD. 

I think someone will stay up with 36 points but someone else will go down on GD with 36. Just a hunch.

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

We aren't beating weat ham away. So best not plan on being on here tomorrow afternoon. 

No I’m watching the Ronde Van Vlanderaan to keep myself busy before, during and after. Can’t beat the drama of a bike race over the Flemish cobbled climbs. One of my sporting highlights of the year, so watching a home win for West Ham doesn’t get anywhere near.

48 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

No I’m watching the Ronde Van Vlanderaan to keep myself busy before, during and after. Can’t beat the drama of a bike race over the Flemish cobbled climbs. One of my sporting highlights of the year, so watching a home win for West Ham doesn’t get anywhere near.

Shame on you, true Saints fans will watch the team through thick and thin. I'll be watching as always with hope and expectation and paying £12 for the privilege so that I don't miss a second.  It may well be the familiar journey from hope to disappointment and despair but this has been my team for more years than I care to publish so why would I turn my back on them now.

Nobody ever promised that life should be easy, always rose tinted and a source of eternal happiness.

15 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I tend to agree. A win tomorrow makes things look actually possible, if still unlikely. A draw isn’t game over but it doesn’t leave any wiggle room at all.  I still think we’ll come up way short by seasons end, and I’m expecting us to get done tomorrow anyway.  Get a win tomorrow though and and these fuckers will get me starting to believe again Ffs.

Realistically  a win today is highly unlikely I would have thought but we can only hope

Of Premier League teams, only Leicester and Saints have won more points away than at home. It's only West Ham, they're just as shite as we are, are in a worse run of form, and I'd love to see them relegated. We have every chance. COYS!

• Haha 1