2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

47 minutes ago, saintant said:

I'm afraid Selles is a coach who believes you need to set out to stop the opposition rather than going gung-ho from the start. I don't see any evidence that he'll change this mind-set.We are always better when we start high tempo and take the game to our opponents. He'll scrape the odd win but invariably we'll go behind and lose.

One of Ralph’s traits too. Often we were set up ‘not to lose’ rather than a set up to win.  It used to be said attack is the best form of defence, not sure that always holds up, but has to be worth a go, if nothing else it’s positive! 

2 hours ago, sad saints fan said:

We are always better when we start high tempo and take the game to our opponents.

Like we were last season when we lost more games from a winning position than almost anyone else . We were all moaning then about a lack off fitness in our players and maybe that is still a problem ,which is why Selles sets up the way he does.

No excuse now with 5 subs available.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sad saints fan said:

We are always better when we start high tempo and take the game to our opponents.

Like we were last season when we lost more games from a winning position than almost anyone else . We were all moaning then about a lack off fitness in our players and maybe that is still a problem ,which is why Selles sets up the way he does.

Good point. There were quite a few posters suggesting we should follow a more 'pragmatic, keep it tight' approach.

It's not working out.

10 hours ago, Dellman said:

if you've no confidence in your defence, all the more important to build the  attack. That's just common sense

The prob is we have no confidence in our attack either, we're just not very good period.

12 hours ago, Yozzman said:

Shame West Ham didn't gift us a couple of goals like they have tonight.

you make your own luck. newcastle “gifted goals” seem to have come from either pressing WH into mistakes or the fabianski one was putting the ball through into a difficult area. 

they gifted us possession, we did nothing with it. 

58 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

you make your own luck. newcastle “gifted goals” seem to have come from either pressing WH into mistakes or the fabianski one was putting the ball through into a difficult area. 

they gifted us possession, we did nothing with it. 

We faffed around, turned back when in promising positions (looking at you here KWP), or just did meaningless tippy tap in the mould of our incredibly uninspirational captain, who epitomises our almost complete lack of fight, with one eye on his move to Man U or whoever. Sick of the lot of them.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DT said:

We faffed around, turned back when in promising positions (looking at you here KWP), or just did meaningless tippy tap in the mould of our incredibly uninspirational captain, who epitomises our almost complete lack of fight, with one eye on his move to Man U or whoever. Sick of the lot of them.

yes it’s one of those summers where I really don’t care who leaves, they’re pretty much all twats. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, sad saints fan said:

Perhaps that's why he doesn't start Alcaraz and Sulemana, due to their lack of PL experience  as he thinks they'll have more impact against a tiring defence. I'd far rather have a lead to defend than to claw back though, and when we go for it as against Spurs there is a very faint possibility of more than one goal.. Sounds like we were very negative against West Ham: we'll probably attack agaisnt City and constantly get done on the break!

• Like 1

Thought the West Ham performance last night showed how poor we were in the game on Sunday. WHU were poor on Sunday but we were so tentative we just gifted them the three points when it was a must win game. The whole approach of the club is wrong but it does seem if a team sits deep we cannot score from open play 

2 hours ago, Kingsland Codger said:

We should take a lesson from the Lionesses who have just shown how to break down a packed defence that sits deep. A well worked goal that was a joy to watch.

Made to work for it more than they would have wanted after scoring that fantastic goal, but winning a penalty shootout and extending the unbeaten run to 30 games, a run including wins against all the best teams the world has to offer… every time they’re only increasing what was already a legendary achievement.

11 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

Made to work for it more than they would have wanted after scoring that fantastic goal, but winning a penalty shootout and extending the unbeaten run to 30 games, a run including wins against all the best teams the world has to offer… every time they’re only increasing what was already a legendary achievement.

So legendary, hardly anyone gives a shit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

83,000 on a Thursday night for what was essentially a friendly gave a shit, you silly little man.

exactly, hardly anyone gives a shit.  Not here, not in football, not around the country.

Just checked the sport headlines, not even the lead story on the ever-so-inclusive BBC Sport and Guardian websites

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

exactly, hardly anyone gives a shit.  Not here, not in football, not around the country.

Just checked the sport headlines, not even the lead story on the ever-so-inclusive BBC Sport and Guardian websites

Had a fair bit of coverage back when they extended the unbeaten run to 27 games.

Also Google have done a doodle for yesterday’s match.

https://g.co/kgs/JoJZpJ

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Isn’t there a separate thread for the birds? Surely “other games” should be professional blokes football, otherwise we’ll be spammed by people posting how The dog & duck stayed unbeaten during their legendary Sunday morning campaign. 

If you can breeze past a few posts on this thread about Sholing without complaining I’m sure you can manage the same for other matches you’re not interested in.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

If you can breeze past a few posts on this thread about Sholing without complaining I’m sure you can manage the same for other matches you’re not interested in.

It’s a different sport, so it’s not matches I’m not interested in, it’s a sport I’m not interested in. We don’t have people posting about Hockey or Netball on a men’s football thread. There’s a perfectly good thread to discuss this rubbish, people should stay in that. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Kingsland Codger said:

We should take a lesson from the Lionesses who have just shown how to break down a packed defence that sits deep. A well worked goal that was a joy to watch.

Im not going to knock women's football, but comments like this are way off. There is nothing Saints can learn from women's football at all, they were able to break down a defence which sits deep because they were playing against far, far weaker oposition. People have been saying similar things about Burnley all season, then when they come up against City in the cup they get thumped 6-0.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Im not going to knock women's football, but comments like this are way off. There is nothing Saints can learn from women's football at all, they were able to break down a defence which sits deep because they were playing against far, far weaker oposition. People have been saying similar things about Burnley all season, then when they come up against City in the cup they get thumped 6-0.

This this and fucking this !!!👆🏻

46 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Wow ! Scoring goals , winning tournaments and penalty shoot outs are nothing the Saints men’s team can learn about ?

Good to know Saints as so much better than that 😄

Correct. If Saints played any of the teams England women have, they’d win every game 20-0, wouldn’t need a penalty shoot out, ever, and would win every tournament in second gear.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

QPR have to be one of the funniest teams this season. Started off like a train, might even have been top briefly. Now one place above relegation and on an astonishing run of form.

Not sure what Watford we're doing?!

Screenshot_2023-04-07-18-14-42-51_3e1730e409eaf7d1d25ede7155cc8a16.jpg

2 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Wow ! Scoring goals , winning tournaments and penalty shoot outs are nothing the Saints men’s team can learn about ?

Good to know Saints as so much better than that 😄

It’s a different sport, that’s what we’re told when there are things people don’t want to hear about the women’s game,  so nothing we can learn really. 

7 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Just looked back further. After winning 3 from 4 games in October they were top. Since then they've won 2, drawn 5 and lost 17. Amazing.

Is Nathan Jones' brother their manager?

Edited by Dark Munster

20 minutes ago, The Cat said:

QPR have to be one of the funniest teams this season. Started off like a train, might even have been top briefly. Now one place above relegation and on an astonishing run of form.

Not sure what Watford we're doing?!

Screenshot_2023-04-07-18-14-42-51_3e1730e409eaf7d1d25ede7155cc8a16.jpg

and Reading, they had a stop the count moment early on. Hoping Huddersfield go down as it looks like we're going to lose either QPR or Reading away. 

50 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

and Reading, they had a stop the count moment early on. Hoping Huddersfield go down as it looks like we're going to lose either QPR or Reading away. 

Looks like Warnock is sorting Huddersfield out. Won 3 in a row now.

I quite like Huddersfield as a place, it's a long way but decent for away games.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, trousers said:

Team news

I like the way that Celtic Dragons have decided not to call the players on the bench subs and used the term "impact players" instead.

Can't believe Parker and Morgan are on the bench for Manchester. What a joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I like the way that Celtic Dragons have decided not to call the players on the bench subs and used the term "impact players" instead.

Can't believe Parker and Morgan are on the bench for Manchester. What a joke.

Morgan has gone downhill ever since leaving us. It doesn’t appear that the transitioning and sex change, along with converting to a new sport has helped either. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Yes I know it’s the Championship….but Tella is fabulous. 
we don’t deserve to get him back. He can do better than us. 
I can’t imagine him wanting to return at all. 

Adam Armstrong scored 29 goals in his last Championship season, is he too good for us?

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Adam Armstrong scored 29 goals in his last Championship season, is he too good for us?

He’s shite compared to tella. 
Tella played in the premier league previously and I always thought there was something about him. 
he can do a job in the top flight.And he’s ripped up the Championship  

Armstrong has failed completely in the Premier league. Virtually non existent. 
Tella was a nipper when he donning a red and white shirt for the first time. 
he’s matured and been coached correctly it seems. 
Armstrong V Tella, I know which one I’d take. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Yes I know it’s the Championship….but Tella is fabulous. 
we don’t deserve to get him back. He can do better than us. 
I can’t imagine him wanting to return at all. 

Really pleased for him. Always thought he had something about him during the run of first team games he got under Ralph a few years ago. Whether thats good enough to be a consistent performer at PL level remains to be seen.

Its not going to be cheap for Burnley.

• Like 1

Gibbs-White was 22, scored 11, assisted 9 in 35 matches while on loan at Sheffield United, Wolves sold him for £25m with potential to rise to £42m. A player who had only made 4 appearances for Wolves in his last two seasons there.

Nathan Tella, 23, scored 17, assisted 4 in 35 matches while on loan at Burnley...

• Like 1

Tella wasn't missed by too many on here when he left on loan. For a team that have walked the league his stats aren't super impressive, especially when compared to AA and CA's records in the same league. Even in the game tonight he missed a chance he should have scored and would have been crucified by us if it was AA for example.

He won't be able to step up to the PL as proven when playing for us. If I am wrong then pleased for someone to remind me in a few years when he scores the winner in the Champions League final or something. Can't see it though.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

3 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Tella wasn't missed by too many on here when he left on loan. For a team that have walked the league his stats aren't super impressive, especially when compared to AA and CA's records in the same league. Even in the game tonight he missed a chance he should have scored and would have been crucified by us if it was AA for example.

He won't be able to step up to the PL as proven when playing for us. If I am wrong then pleased for someone to remind me in a few years when he scores the winner in the Champions League final or something. Can't see it though.

That’s a hell of a leap and a weird barometer to judge a player by. Although not as weird as all the comparisons to other players and their values in this thread. 

I’m sure they’ll be unfairly used as a stick to have a pop at the owners though when he’s sold for 10-15 million. Don’t really see the point of him staying at us, can only be a lose lose situation for him personally because there’s a slim chance he becomes the cult hero he is at Burnley so take the move and opportunity when you can. Don’t think it’s a massive loss for us either. Players like him are not rare, it’s the opportunity and patience and shown that’s the rare thing and he’s taken advantage of a good situation at Burnley. Fair play but no big loss to us if/when he goes. Wouldn’t begrudge him forcing that move through at all. 

Tella wont be coming back and good for him. He deserves better than us. He wasn’t a world beater last season but he certainly wasn’t the worst. Had we known we were going into the season with Djenepo as the only winger than Tella would’ve started an awful lot I think.

Also a side note, I see the U18’s are shipping several goals a game. Lovely to see them matching the playbook for the first team in regularly racking up the defeats.
This new playbook or whatever it is is certainly working wonders!

• Confused 1