2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

The atmosphere in Naples is incredible. Love to see a game there 

Go for it mate, very accessible.  I went with a few others in 2009 I think, late January flights and hotels were cheap and match tickets easy to get, might need to plan ahead a bit more now they are doing well but well worth the trip. Proper football culture in the city, plenty more to do whilst there, breakfast overlooking the sea with a cappuccino and a copy of Gazetta dello sport 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JRM said:

Go for it mate, very accessible.  I went with a few others in 2009 I think, late January flights and hotels were cheap and match tickets easy to get, might need to plan ahead a bit more now they are doing well but well worth the trip. Proper football culture in the city, plenty more to do whilst there, breakfast overlooking the sea with a cappuccino and a copy of Gazetta dello sport 

Pah! I can do all of that with a copy of the Guardian, in the M&S cafe in West Quay.

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Pah! I can do all of that with a copy of the Guardian, in the M&S cafe in West Quay.

There are similarities, port city with the football club central to its identity and pride. Our mafia aren't quite as active though.  Forza Southampton 

37 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

If he had a goal ruled out by VAR, considering it's not used in the Championship, I'm not surprised he got pissed off and earned a second yellow.

I like this comment from the Reading 'interim manager',

"We are in control of the game, then two minutes later the ball goes in, it hits his hand, it's not intentional. If you look at it he goes with his head, it hits his hand and goes in so the referee has got to use common sense."

So the referee is supposed to ignore the Laws of the Game and all his directives just to suit Reading? They don't pay him enough for that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brissysaint said:

HCDAJFU??? 

I seem to remember he always fucking scored against us no matter where he was or what time he came on, am I imaging that?

Didn’t Fonte give away a penalty against him when he pulled his pony tail? 

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Didn’t Fonte give away a penalty against him when he pulled his pony tail? 

I don’t know about a penalty but I think he got sent off for it. As I said at the time, If that ladyboy wants to have long hair it’s very likely that an opponent will get his fingers caught up in it.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Seville fans tonight have been absolutely immense. 
the team…have been even better. 
Man U…laughable. On par with our shower of shite. 

Real Madrid did the same to Man City last season. Would any English team have done any better against a Spanish team? They have a passion and 'never say die' fighting spirit that our teams can't match. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Real Madrid did the same to Man City last season. Would any English team have done any better against a Spanish team? They have a passion and 'never say die' fighting spirit that our teams can't match. 

“Nunca te rindas” is the motto of Sevilla - “Never give up”

• Like 2

The coverage given to Wrexham at the moment is a bit nauseating. I've got a bit of a soft spot for Wrexham as my cousin moved there years ago so spent a bit of time there when i was a kid. Currently on GMT interviewing an american girl in Alabama who will be getting up early tomorrow to watch the game after she  "feel in love with Wrexham" after watching the documentary. All very excited about them winning promotion to the football league tomorrow. Seriously, a club of that size it's no real achievement to get out of the 5th tier. I wish them well but it's all a bit over the top. The real story here is Notts County who despite having over 100 points already wont win the league.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

The coverage given to Wrexham at the moment is a bit nauseating. I've got a bit of a soft spot for Wrexham as my cousin moved there years ago so spent a bit of time there when i was a kid. Currently on GMT interviewing an american girl in Alabama who will be getting up early tomorrow to watch the game after she  "feel in love with Wrexham" after watching the documentary. All very excited about them winning promotion to the football league tomorrow. Seriously, a club of that size it's no real achievement to get out of the 5th tier. I wish them well but it's all a bit over the top. The real story here is Notts County who despite having over 100 points already wont win the league.

There’s a joke in there somewhere about getting your balls caught in the food mixer.

Interesting set of fixtures for the rest of this weekend. On paper at least, Leeds and Everton seem to have relatively tough fixtures, although I wouldn't be surprised if Everton grind out a win at Palace. Hopefully Forest will get a tanking at Liverpool. Really could do without Leicester picking up anything against Wolves, but think they will take at least a point. A Bournemouth against the Hammers will just about see them safe, and probably the same for West Ham if they win. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Not the ideal set of results today, but I’d have taken being the same distance from safety if you’d have offered it before this weekend’s fixtures.

Exactly this.

Its pretty remarkable that we’ve got  one point out of 12 and are still only 4 points adrift. Leicester v Leeds Tuesday and obviously both can’t win that one, followed by Everton v Leicester next weekend. Means nothing if we can’t beat Bournemouth, but who knows what pressure will do to other sides. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Not the ideal set of results today, but I’d have taken being the same distance from safety if you’d have offered it before this weekend’s fixtures.

Only one of the 4 teams directly above us win, it ain’t far off ideal to be fair.

On 16/08/2022 at 22:16, bpsaint said:

Only a few games in I know, but sadly I think this will be the season the skates finally get out of League 1. They made some annoyingly decent signings the summer. 

I’m happy to admit when I'm wrong 🤣

I’m sure I saw a proper name given last year to the day when it’s mathematically confirmed the skates will be in a league below us next season.

Scenes at Wrexham’s ground.

Greatest non-league season in history? Notts County would have won the league with their current points in any season in history… except this one. Seems crazy that they might still not go up, but picking themselves back up for the playoffs won’t be easy.

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

Greatest non-league season in history? Notts County would have won the league with their current points in any season in history… except this one. Seems crazy that they might still not go up, but picking themselves back up for the playoffs won’t be easy.

I remember when Grimsby beat Notts County in the playoffs last season. It was a brilliant game and the Grimsby away fans created a tremendous atmosphere. Notts County are a bit of a nothing team with lukewarm support. I wouln't feel too sorry for them.

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

Very harsh on Notts County, but that was an amazing race to the finish. Nice to see ex saints youngster Thomas O'Connor get some glory with Wrexham, and hopefully get to play league football again. 

33 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

I remember when Grimsby beat Notts County in the playoffs last season. It was a brilliant game and the Grimsby away fans created a tremendous atmosphere. Notts County are a bit of a nothing team with lukewarm support. I wouln't feel too sorry for them.

‘Notts County are a bit of a nothing team with lukewarm support’....that sentence reminds me of another team....it’s on the tip of my tongue.....oh hang on!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Am I the only one that is a little bored with the Wrexham love-in right now? They’ve been bank rolled for the most part.

Shame about Portsmouth…again 🤣

Can’t say I was complaining too much about what Liebherr and Rickie Lambert did for us at the time.

I haven't seen much of Harry Wilson this season but he's played nearly the full 90 in each of the past two matches and scored in both. He looked very good today, as did the Fulham attack as a whole (particularly Robinson and Willian down the left). Though they did only put two past Leeds.

Those Forest long throws caused Liverpool a whole heap of problems. Maybe we should consider something similar ourselves?