2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

Liverpool in transition without Mané and with Firmino leaving but they are right to have stuck by Klopp as it shows. They still make good signings. Just need to strengthen their defence and sort out their midfield once and for all and they'll be challengers next season. 

Watching the game and was thinking, if we could have one player from any premier league team who would it be ?

Haaland would be pointless as no one to supply him.

Ederson, a really safe pair of hands?

Virgil, tighten up the defence ?

Casemiro to control  the midfield and the flow of the game or someone like salah to make a goal out of nothing. Over to you lot.

Forgive me, it's a Sunday and I'm bored.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Is losing 7-0 to your rivals worse than losing 9-0 to a random other team? 

Imagine if we lost 7-0 to Pompey. 

Yep, thought of the exact same question myself. I’d go through both 9-0s again without a second thought before ever even starting to consider 7-0 against Pompey.

2 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

Man Utd fans won’t live that one down easily.

Almost feel sorry for any that have to see Liverpool fans at work tomorrow morning. :lol: 

I think letting Nunez score twice is probably more embarrassing than the final result

1 hour ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Just watched the goal highlights on YouTube. All I can hear is Carragher squealing and laughing like a baby in the background. I don’t know how this kind of biased and pathetic punditry is allowed. What a prize knob.

As fans of a provincial club on the South Coast, we have to put up with this sort of shit commentary on a weekly basis and this is why for my own sanity I only bother with BBC Radio Solent. I can't face paying for other broadcasters' fan bias. It's allowed because it's one of the Super League clubs winning.

On the other hand, when it's one of the Super League bastards getting done, I can only raise a smile at one of them taking an absolute waterboarding of their own medicine.

Liverpool can have their celebration, but I would love it if they just missed out on CL qualification on the final match of the season. After all, there will quite possibly be more important matters at stake that day 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kind of the point I made in the match thread, yes we are crap, but honestly when you look at that Man Utd team being 3rd in the league, being beaten like that by a Liverpool team that have been very poor most of the season. Then you look at Spurs who are somehow 4th, losing to a bad Wolves team at the weekend, having countless bad performances, it shows the quality of the league is not good this season.  

I mean just think how bad we have been, we lost what 7 out of 8 in the league under Jones, yet we are two wins away from 12th. 

Yeh we are crap, but most of the league is not better and no one seems to be getting much consistency of performances together, even Man City have dropped below their usual high standards and Arsenal needed a 97th minute long range shot to beaten 2nd bottom Bournemouth at home. 

And yeh the Liverpool media fawning has started again, they have one good result and they are suddenly back.  Arsenal have been a breath of fresh air this year, a young team playing good football, challenging for the title, haven't done it by just spanking money at everything, they have youth academy prospects in the team and have built the team up backing a manager patiently over like 3 years. Yet all the media talk is constantly about either Liverpool failing or then being re-born, or Man Utd returning to the top. They are all so desperate for those two clubs to be the top dogs, it's shameful. 

I hope Liverpool do miss out on top 4 this season, even if they are replaced by Saudi Arabia FC, it would good to have them back to their mid 90s relative doldrums of battling for like 4th to 7th, just to see the absurd whinging from their annoying fanbase. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Dreadful news about the Blackpool fan losing his life. How fucking tragic over a game of football. 

This has been coming for a while sadly. Hopefully the cunt/s who did it have been caught on video and go to prison. 

Terrible news, hope they catch whoever did it as quickly as possible.

On 05/03/2023 at 18:17, Jimbo said:

it's like watching our GK and defence

True , first goal defender obstructed DeGea while making no challenge/block allowing Gakpo to pass into the net . 

United were being overrun in midfield , lack of support from attackers , well Martial plus Fernandes , plenty of men back but failing to clear the ball while Everything came off for Liverpool !

De Hag failed to sub Martial or seem to change tactics .

Not sure if I’ve missed an obvious one but I feel like Championship strikers that make it in the Prem, like Vardy, Toney, Mitrovic etc etc are those that come up promoted with their teams.

The ones that don’t (cough, Che, Adam A, cough) have struggled to adapt…

14 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Not sure if I’ve missed an obvious one but I feel like Championship strikers that make it in the Prem, like Vardy, Toney, Mitrovic etc etc are those that come up promoted with their teams.

You forgot Lambert! Some of that will be coincidence of course, but i definitely imagine there’s an element of those guys having nothing to prove to their fanbase. The Che we have now is a world apart to the one that arrived, he looked so short of confidence in his first season. Armstrong has always looked like his confidence is shot from about 5 games into his Saints career.

27 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Mitro was pretty desperate in the PL when they came up last time, but hes been much better this season.

I think the common theme is that all three you've listed are playing or played in decent teams, playing good attacking football under a good manager. Che has done alright for us up to this season and we've  been absolute turgid as a team during AA's near two seasons here. Not defending him, but playing in a strong attacking team, high on confidence makes a world of difference. 

Perhaps a season in the Championship with strikers banging them in is just what we need

21 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Dreadful news about the Blackpool fan losing his life. How fucking tragic over a game of football. 

This has been coming for a while sadly. Hopefully the cunt/s who did it have been caught on video and go to prison. 

I had a look at a Blackpool messageboard. The fight took place outside the designated away pub. Presumably, the Burnley fans who'd been told that was the designated safe pub for them to drink at would not have gone there looking for a fight. Of course, it's very sad that anyone should die in a fight between groups of football fans. The victim was a legend known to all Blackpool fans.

Blackpool attack: Football fan dies after post-match brawl at pub - BBC News

Edited by Nordic Saint

9 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

I had a look at a Blackpool messageboard. The fight took place outside the designated away pub. Presumably, the Burnley fans who'd been told that was the designated safe pub for them to drink at would not have gone there looking for a fight. Of course, it's very sad that anyone should die in a fight between groups of football fans. The victim was a legend known to all Blackpool fans.

Blackpool attack: Football fan dies after post-match brawl at pub - BBC News

Not sure we're allowed to question the victim's role these days, but it does sound like a lifetime of bad choices came home to roost.

https://www.footballforums.net/threads/general-championship-chat.278920/page-44

26 minutes ago, DT said:

Just cannot see how that is a penalty in the Chelsea game. Defender is a yard away. Chilwell hits it at him. He turns his head. It hits his hand. Absolute joke. 

Not as bad as the decision to retake the penalty for encroachment when there was a Chelsea player in the box too 🤔

That was a scandalous penalty in my view and even more of a joke that the penalty was re-taken. Both teams were encroaching, the Chelsea player was further in the box than the Dortmund players and as Whitey says, how often is it enforced.  What really annoys me most is the Dortmund player who actually influenced the game by clearing the ball was outside the box when the kick was taken, yes he was inside the D but as far as I’m aware, that is not part of the actual penalty area but apparently he is still encroaching.

So if a player is running through and is fouled in the D, is a penalty given as according to the law the player is in the box. Of course it isn’t. The rule is ridiculous, in my opinion Dortmund have been cheated tonight. Let me put it another way, if it was the other way around and Chelsea were on the end of those decisions, their fans, players along with Jake Humphrey and the biased BT pundits would be up in arms about it and we’d never hear the end of it.

it would also be interesting to know if any Chelsea players encroached on the second penalty. Wouldn’t be surprised but the ball went in so it is deemed irrelevant as he didn’t influence play. In exactly the same logic that the Dortmund player who cleared the ball was outside the box when Havertz took the first one……just to clarify, yes I may be biased because I wanted Dortmund to win but because it’s an English club that benefit, nobody says anything and it’s just ignored/laughed off.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Saint WGC said:

...yes he was inside the D but as far as I’m aware, that is not part of the actual penalty area but apparently he is still encroaching.

So if a player is running through and is fouled in the D, is a penalty given as according to the law the player is in the box. Of course it isn’t.

The 'D' is solely to ensure players are 10 yards from the ball (as with any free kick) when a penalty is struck, stepping over that line is encroachment. It's nothing to do with the penalty area other than when a pen is being taken.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

The 'D' is solely to ensure players are 10 yards from the ball (as with any free kick) when a penalty is struck, stepping over that line is encroachment. It's nothing to do with the penalty area other than when a pen is being taken.

It actually amazed me someone didn't know this 😆

• Like 1

8 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

That first goal from Ramos tonight was superb skill, second one was fantastic striker movement. What could have been for us, not that I genuinely believe he was that close to signing

Yeh a sad 'what if' signing, 23 in 34 this season, with 7 in the Champs league, World Cup hattrick as well. Looks a complete all round striker as well, drops deep to link up play, can hold it up, passes well.

At least is shows our scouting is on point as he wasn't prolific last season but clearly they saw he had all the tools. 

8 hours ago, Saint WGC said:

That was a scandalous penalty in my view and even more of a joke that the penalty was re-taken. Both teams were encroaching, the Chelsea player was further in the box than the Dortmund players and as Whitey says, how often is it enforced.  What really annoys me most is the Dortmund player who actually influenced the game by clearing the ball was outside the box when the kick was taken, yes he was inside the D but as far as I’m aware, that is not part of the actual penalty area but apparently he is still encroaching.

So if a player is running through and is fouled in the D, is a penalty given as according to the law the player is in the box. Of course it isn’t. The rule is ridiculous, in my opinion Dortmund have been cheated tonight. Let me put it another way, if it was the other way around and Chelsea were on the end of those decisions, their fans, players along with Jake Humphrey and the biased BT pundits would be up in arms about it and we’d never hear the end of it.

it would also be interesting to know if any Chelsea players encroached on the second penalty. Wouldn’t be surprised but the ball went in so it is deemed irrelevant as he didn’t influence play. In exactly the same logic that the Dortmund player who cleared the ball was outside the box when Havertz took the first one……just to clarify, yes I may be biased because I wanted Dortmund to win but because it’s an English club that benefit, nobody says anything and it’s just ignored/laughed off.

Have you watched much football in your time fella?

Thanks for clarifying all - my mistake and obviously the defender and other players who ran in the D when the penalty was about to be taken.  Believe it or not, I have watched a lot of football in my time, that just did not occur to me to be honest seeing as the players were not in front of the ball as with a defensive wall being ten yards. 

I still think the penalty was very dubious too, it is almost like these days, players can almost aim to hit the ball at a player's arm when two yards away and the ref will watch it on the screen in slow motion which always looks more blatant than at normal speed.  I think the interpretation of the law is a bit of a guess when one day it will be given and on another with someone else doing VAR , it won't be given.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saint WGC said:

Thanks for clarifying all - my mistake and obviously the defender and other players who ran in the D when the penalty was about to be taken.  Believe it or not, I have watched a lot of football in my time, that just did not occur to me to be honest seeing as the players were not in front of the ball as with a defensive wall being ten yards. 

I still think the penalty was very dubious too, it is almost like these days, players can almost aim to hit the ball at a player's arm when two yards away and the ref will watch it on the screen in slow motion which always looks more blatant than at normal speed.  I think the interpretation of the law is a bit of a guess when one day it will be given and on another with someone else doing VAR , it won't be given.

Yep. It’s a lot easier to try and hit an arm than it is to score a goal.

• Haha 1