2022/23 Other games

Lighthouse

13 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Always good to see Liverpool get smashed, my word Modric what a player he is, 37, driving through the Liverpool midfield like they weren't there.

Vini Jnr also a very scary player, all the talk of Haaland and Mbappe taking the Messi and Ronaldo crown, but I think this guy is right up there with them. 

Teams that win trophies tend to have some older players. Real Madrid have Modric, 37, Benzema, 35, Kroos, 33, Nacho, 33, Hazard, 32, Carvajal, 31, Vazquez, 31, Alaba, 30 and Courtois, 30.

I've noticed this especially when a surprise team wins the FA Cup, like Saints in 1976 or Pompey in 2008.  A few old pros iin your team give you an advantage if you want to win trophies.

1 hour ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Am I right in thinking if United proceed tonight our fixture at Old Trafford will be moved to Sunday 12th March…?

Yes - we now play on the Sunday, bit out of order as everyone had to buy tickets before they sold out without knowing when the game will be, can see quite a few Saints fans looking to sell now 

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

Yes - we now play on the Sunday, bit out of order as everyone had to buy tickets before they sold out without knowing when the game will be, can see quite a few Saints fans looking to sell now 

Indeed. More annoyed as there was no warning from Saints side prior to it selling out. Obviously a balls up as they rectified it thereafter. Not ideal for my young boy (his first away day) but we’ll go nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Indeed. More annoyed as there was no warning from Saints side prior to it selling out. Obviously a balls up as they rectified it thereafter. Not ideal for my young boy (his first away day) but we’ll go nonetheless. 

I’m in the same boat .. was praying 🙏🏻 Barca beat Utd… i Work shifts so waiting to book wot day off ,now turns out it’s a Sunday .. hopefully not 12.30 ko. 😵💫

Edited by Chris cooper

3 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

I’m in the same boat .. was praying 🙏🏻 Barca beat Utd… i Work shifts so waiting to book wot day off ,now turns out it’s a Sunday .. hopefully not 12.30 ko. 😵💫

Same. I hate United, but I bought tickets hoping they won as I'm almost certainly not able to make the Saturday. No worries this time :D

With Utd still in the competition it gives us a better chance of some points. They’ll have less time to prepare and will have decisions to make on the squad. Hopefully they have a tough away game on that Thursday before we play them. Also hoping Rashford picks up an injury before then!

34 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Could do without Wolves beating Fulham. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Never really classed Wolves as being a team in any danger tbh, they will pull well clear and probably end up on mid 40's without much fuss.

Teams we need to pay attention to are Leeds, Everton and Bournemouth - it's 3 from 4 as far as I can see. Outside chance of Palace and Forest being pulled back in, but unlikely to be in much danger towards the end.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Wolves, masters of shithousery, falling about all over the place.  Fulham not really in it. 

Although, that could change...! Great strike, game on. 

Edited by Micky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Never really classed Wolves as being a team in any danger tbh, they will pull well clear and probably end up on mid 40's without much fuss.

Teams we need to pay attention to are Leeds, Everton and Bournemouth - it's 3 from 4 as far as I can see. Outside chance of Palace and Forest being pulled back in, but unlikely to be in much danger towards the end.

You think West Ham are safe? You not checked the table?

I see Graham Potter has his family have reportedly received death threats. Absolutely disgusting! I know we were pretty vitriolic/hostile toward Nathan Jones, and with some justification I believe, but I really hope no Saints fans stooped to that level. As passionate and as angry as we get as football fans, there have to be boundaries that one doesn't cross. Potter seems like a decent guy and doesn't deserve that. I can see him walking if it continues. 

9 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

I see Graham Potter has his family have reportedly received death threats. Absolutely disgusting! I know we were pretty vitriolic/hostile toward Nathan Jones, and with some justification I believe, but I really hope no Saints fans stooped to that level. As passionate and as angry as we get as football fans, there have to be boundaries that one doesn't cross. Potter seems like a decent guy and doesn't deserve that. I can see him walking if it continues. 

Pathetic, it's just a game ffs.

10 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Personally I pay little attention to these supposed death threats these days. I think the age of social media has made things worse but some people have pretty much lost all social filters through prolonged online anonymity. Acting hard on the internet or in letters is one thing, actual having the capability and desire to carry it out is something else.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Personally I pay little attention to these supposed death threats these days. I think the age of social media has made things worse but some people have pretty much lost all social filters through prolonged online anonymity. Acting hard on the internet or in letters is one thing, actual having the capability and desire to carry it out is something else.

Yeah, someone putting "I hope you die" in a tweet or commented under a Facebook article is scummy, in bad taste, but wouldn't warrant anything further than an eye roll if it were up to me. 

7 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Would laugh my tits off if they went down.

Me too, I said in another thread that I think they’re in danger of being dragged right into the thick of it, especially if the mood gets toxic there and they have to get rid of Moyes.

could turn out to be a blessing in disguise that we got jones in and out earlyish (although would’ve been better without him at all)

if you have villa (maybe), Leicester, Bournemouth, palace (maybe) and west ham all sacking managers around the same time in the run in we could really benefit.

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah, someone putting "I hope you die" in a tweet or commented under a Facebook article is scummy, in bad taste, but wouldn't warrant anything further than an eye roll if it were up to me. 

I like Potter and always felt a mismatch for a horrible club like Chelsea. He is just being honest and hasn’t over dramatised the death threats. What is with the BBC putting this in the article quoting Potter?

583CE902-21E1-450D-BFF4-B3CCB16EB00F.jpeg

2 hours ago, whelk said:

I like Potter and always felt a mismatch for a horrible club like Chelsea. He is just being honest and hasn’t over dramatised the death threats. What is with the BBC putting this in the article quoting Potter?

583CE902-21E1-450D-BFF4-B3CCB16EB00F.jpeg

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. I'm sure he didn't exaggerate the threats I just think a persons internet persona very, very rarely represents what they would actually say or do in real life and the best way to deal with people who post this and other kinds of abuse is to completely ignore it. 

Internet trolls are like a fire and attention is the fuel, stop adding fuel and it'll eventually go out. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, saint lard said:

Another point for them. If it's possible to pin relegation on one specific result, the capitulation vs Wolves may be it. Although you would then have to ignore the clusterfuck of the rest of the season. 

Still we could be on 21 points at the end of the day. Drags everyone back into it big time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. I'm sure he didn't exaggerate the threats I just think a persons internet persona very, very rarely represents what they would actually say or do in real life and the best way to deal with people who post this and other kinds of abuse is to completely ignore it. 

Internet trolls are like a fire and attention is the fuel, stop adding fuel and it'll eventually go out. 

They weren't just random comments on a Twitter thread though, they were in emails sent directly to Potter himself. I agree with you that the 'threats' were probably no more than the rantings of a keyboard warrior and unlikely to have any substance, but it's not so easy to just ignore in this scenario.

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

They weren't just random comments on a Twitter thread though, they were in emails sent directly to Potter himself. I agree with you that the 'threats' were probably no more than the rantings of a keyboard warrior and unlikely to have any substance, but it's not so easy to just ignore in this scenario.

Fair enough, I didn't read the articles myself so didn't know that.

19 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Really? Over the last few years we have seen some people in the spotlight get attacked by fanatical people. A couple of MPs, Rushdie and a few others. It would probably freak me out a bit if I was getting emailed death threats. Cos yeah 99% of the time its just a keyboard warrior, but you can never be fully sure its not that 1% who could actually put your life in danger. And some people take football just way too seriously that it would be enough to worry about.

1 hour ago, LeBizzier69 said:

The media love in with NUFC is unbelievably nauseating. “Back where they belong” etc…..what a load of shit. I hope they get tonked just to watch all the bare chested fans crying into their pints.

We all know that they’ve been bribed to say that. Not directly perhaps.

1 minute ago, adrian lord said:

Thankfully, the BBC have changed their website gamepage masthead photo from a picture of the Newcastle fans in all their piebald and bare chested “glory”, to a picture of a player from each team in action.

Ohhh but they love a number 9 though eh?